Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Well!

So here's a bit of an update of our festive season eats.

Christmas Eve lunchtime: buffalo chicken wings and a pile of lager.
    Christmas Eve dinner time: fresh prawns cooked in garlic and chili and butter, served with festive rice - cooked by absorption, with butter, onions, sultanas, glace cherries, toasted pine nuts, craisins and orange zest.
    Christmas day morning: baked two loaves of soda bread. Breakfast was smoked salmon on soda bread with big mugs of tea.
    Late morning was champagne and chocolate.
    Dinner was late afternoon - just three of us, so I stuffed a free range chicken and roasted it, plus roasted pork belly. Bought a cooked ham on the bone (impossible to get decent ham in Australia) so had some of that too.
    Had crushed kipfler potatoes with butter, parsley and sea salt, also floury roast potatoes, green beans, roast sweet potato, carrot, parnsip and pumpkin, and steamed cauliflower turned into a baked cauliflower cheese.

Dessert was chocolate truffles, cheese board with cherries, lychees and seedless grapes.

Boxing day morning was fried slices of ham with poached free range eggs.

The rest of the holidays has been a mish mash of grazing from the fridge. Personal favourite at the moment is a slice of soda bread, slathered in baba ghanoush (baked aubergine, mashed with olive oil and garlic), topped with a crumbly slice of mature cheddar and slivers of finely sliced salami.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

gjc wrote: »
    Hard copy could I have recipe it looks gorgeous

Full credit to LaChatteGitane.

I used this recipe: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79227478&postcount=6385

That should link directly to the original post.

I used chopped sun-dried tomatoes instead of olives and I use a little more salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Christmas day was dinner for 17. I used the breast meet from 2 turkeys to make ballotines. Brined the meat and stuffed with sage, onion and chestnut stuffing. I cooked the four ballotines in the waterbath for 4 hours, then wrapped them in potato threads before deep frying to cook the potato and finish the ballotines. Also made sprouts with chestnuts, roast parsnips, roast carrots, roast spuds with goose fat, bread sauce, cranberry sauce with port & orange, braised red cabbage, cauliflower & cheese and a gallon of turkey gravy to keep it all hot.

Dessert was a scottish buttercake with quince, quince puree and a honey & stem ginger ice cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,147 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Minder wrote: »
    Christmas day was dinner for 17. I used the breast meet from 2 turkeys to make ballotines. Brined the meat and stuffed with sage, onion and chestnut stuffing. I cooked the four ballotines in the waterbath for 4 hours, then wrapped them in potato threads before deep frying to cook the potato and finish the ballotines. Also made sprouts with chestnuts, roast parsnips, roast carrots, roast spuds with goose fat, bread sauce, cranberry sauce with port & orange, braised red cabbage, cauliflower & cheese and a gallon of turkey gravy to keep it all hot.

Dessert was a scottish buttercake with quince, quince puree and a honey & stem ginger ice cream.

Where do you live and have you any left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Dinner in the mother-in-law's house. She is a terrible cook.

We had bone dry turkey, chewy ham, half-raw spuds and charred carrots, smothered in chemical bisto ready mix gravy. Awful!! How can someone be mid-60s and not know how to cook yet?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Leftover ham with cream, dijon mustard, onions, mushrooms. peas and penne pasta, yum licioius....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

After 3 turkey ham and bubble and squeak days we had yum yum fish and chips from chipper, delish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Here was my hungover dinner yesterday (well I managed about half of it!!)

965C844E-95AF-4BC6-8ECB-733D5298BEA1-1374-0000014EA1960CAD.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

After several days of Leftovers Mrs Billy & The Kids wanted something different, so I made them a Thai Green Curry tonight. Yours truly was more than happy to dig in to the Turkeybone soup that I made this morning. Looks like that'll get me through to New Year's Eve as long as I don't have to share.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Beef cheeks braised for 8 hours in stock and red wine, served with creamy mash. I was very pleasantly surprised to find beef cheeks in Walmart.

313916_10151380693758784_1820999516_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Mam's lasagne and roasties, nice to have something that wasn't turkey and ham!

The leftovers pie the night before was lovely too though, came back to my house and there's not even milk and bread here, leftovers wouldn't be too bad right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,138 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Shin beef beer stew with carrots, butternut squash, pinto beans and pinenuts.
    Served with pearl barley and lemon zest, butter fried sweetheart cabbage.
    Pinto beans didn't really add anything to the stew, though.
    Same again for tonights dinner but with green beans and maybe wet polenta.

DSC02068.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

We had bone dry turkey, chewy ham, half-raw spuds and charred carrots, smothered in chemical bisto ready mix gravy. Awful!! How can someone be mid-60s and not know how to cook yet?!

Can you get the recipe off her for me......I'd love to annoy my inlaws next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭VanillaLime

Didn't take a photo, sorry! But I made Catherine Fulvio's Chicken with Prosecco and Shallots from her new book and it was delicious!! Served with plain boiled potatoes and some Brussels sprouts.
    Still finishing the Prosecco - yum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Chips/fries, steak and Roquefort sauce. Yummmmm.
    14t8wa0.jpg

Back on the diet in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Spice crusted pork fillet, tzatziki, roast red pepper sauce and char grilled veg cous cous

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=14280

Diner tonight was fillet of beef on cavolo nero with potatoes dauphinoise and a sticky madeira sauce.

(Slightly overdone:o) lamb chops; fried polenta; stirfried cabbage with garlic, ginger, cumin; onion gravy.

DSC02069.jpg

Tonight we had beef wellington with the rest of the dauphinoise from last light. Another batch of madeira sauce and some steamed broccoli for sides. As we are at a party tomorrow, this is the last dinner I'll cook this year. A very good finish to a very good year. :D Happy New Year y'all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Do we happen to share the same mother-in-law?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Last night I had a pretty bland striploin cooked medium rare with sautéed onion, garlic potatoes with fried egg sunny side up. Dunno what went wrong. Thought I had seasoned the steak well but it was just tasteless.

Tonight we had soy garlic and ginger roast chicken with tartiflette and garden peas. Yum.

Mmm, I love tartiflette.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

The last of the Christmas leftovers were made into a turkey ramen the other night. It was delish it is my favourite thing to eat ever! :D

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=14317

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

20121231_180745_zps7be59894.jpg

20121231_181908_zps77af6f06.jpg

My lovely girlfriend just made us melt in the mouth T bone steak, asparagus wrapped in parma ham and potato croquettes :D

Read for more now :D

NOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes, and garlic butter, I keep forgetting that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Guinea fowl, potatoes boulangères, sauteed parsnips. It looked all a bit beige, so a sprinkle of parsley was in order. The flavours were harmonious though.:D

2qvca5v.jpg

vh49wz.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Greek feta, spinach and pine nut pie made with filo pastry. Roasted vine cherry tomatoes and cous cous with all sorts of stuff in it. Absolutely delicious!

710903892.jpg?key=20481536&Expires=1356986295&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=EwTxnhHQhN221h~MyCeu1Ebr6d4vi4sCjSV9vJCsAwauWP~BrLU9oDDahX9icOJ1Tt2X6NwyQTBqHeMFCD-roZzqGLYQoA7eSgAbV8T6GSIZWQOTxsHuhMeqnIODSsJIGlOUOCQiACUwbUrY3cmAfKjadblxZnj2pgZybT8AxzM_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Steak (v rare), peppers and some asparagus.
    234535.jpg

New year's eve dinner: lamb wellington (lamb chops stuffed with goat's cheese, garlic and chervil, coated with Dijon mustard and wrapped in my first ever attempt at hand-made rough puff pastry), served with fondant potatoes and a red wine, port and rosemary jus and a rather good Washington Syrah; followed by salted caramel and pecan æbleskiver accompanied by a Michigan ice wine.

I am so full, it's a struggle to stay awake until midnight!

lamb-wellington.jpg

aebleskiver.jpg

Chicken thighs cooked with onions and peppers, paprika, coriander seed, stock and beer (and some leftover sautéed potato). Served with pearl barley and left over cabbage.

DSC02070.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Chilorio, a Mexican pulled pork flavoured with ancho chillies. Served with tortilla wraps, cheese, pink pickled onions, kidney beans and a fresh salsa.

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=14319

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement