Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

One of the quickest and easiest dinners imaginable.
    Tomato, chickpea and chorizo stew.
    At its simplest just fry an onion and chuck in a half a chopped chorizo, a tin of tomatoes and a tin of chickpeas.
    Mine had some celery, a red pepper, garlic and chilli flakes too.
    Served with some rye sourdough.

This is pretty much my go-to meal when I have no fresh food in. So handy and the ingredients keep for an age.

*Except I use passata and mixed beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

First time to make Beef and Guinness Stew, made enough for two days, enjoyed it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,147 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Made chicken wings yesterday and had some leftovers today. So I took the meat off the wings and made a spicy rice type thing.

236355.jpg

I often eat twice as much as that while I was waiting on my dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

It was another 'you-know-what-day'

Quorn pieces with a pepper, onion, garlic, fennel and tomato sauce. Cauliflower mash.

We had it with steak and chips ;)

rsv5op.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It was another 'you-know-what-day'

Quorn pieces with a pepper, onion, garlic, fennel and tomato sauce. Cauliflower mash.

You make the saddest food look so cheerful !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

drquirky wrote: »
    Long time lurker and love checking out this thread for inspiration- that being said super sad to see it polluted by this fad diet "fast day" stuff. Perhaps that could be moved to the diet forum?

You can't banish the poor fast-day-ers over to Nutrition & Fitness, people will have them tormented about their "macros" instead of complimenting them on the prettiness of their dinner :(

Day 3 Still No Cooker over in Teach Flitworth. More soup & ryvita (if anyone is spending half their lunch dithering over the soup aisle in Tesco unable to make a decision like I am most days the "Fusion and Street" range that have popped up there recently are really good & appear to be Irish made). Now I'm sitting down to a cup of tea and shameful teaspoon*of betty crocker vanilla icing for dessert.

*tablespoon** :(

**actually 2 tablespoons worth of icing balanced on one tablespoon so I can claim the smaller portion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Tonight I cooked steak with onions and mushrooms, a handful of wedges and a salad of rocket, baby tomatoes, yellow bell pepper and block olives. It hit the spot!

B80C7900-8CCE-4C08-B2C6-89BC70844362-14064-00000FB6B6855B76.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

You make the saddest food look so cheerful !

Haha ! Thank you !
    It tasted pretty cheerful too as I added a whole chilli (whoof!) oregano, thyme and basil aswell. :)

MissFlithworth, you're posts nearly always give me a belly laugh (or what's left of it):D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Made chicken wings yesterday and had some leftovers today. So I took the meat off the wings and made a spicy rice type thing.

That looks to me like a bottle of Cholula Hot Sauce. If so, please tell me you live around Dublin and where you got it from? It is the BEST hot sauce and the only place I have it is when I go to Boojum for a burrito. I wantneed it. Please sir, please.. :pac:

That looks to me like a bottle of Cholula Hot Sauce. If so, please tell me you live around Dublin and where you got it from? It is the BEST hot sauce and the only place I have it is when I go to Boojum for a burrito. I wantneed it. Please sir, please.. :pac:
    They sell it in Fallon & Byrne in town and I think you might be able to buy it in Burrito and Blues!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Don't live in Dublin anymore I'm afraid but if I recall correctly I used to get it in Superquinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

yes u can get it in Superquinn. Great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

gjc wrote: »
    First time to make Beef and Guinness Stew, made enough for two days, enjoyed it
    second day stew is the best

Don't live in Dublin anymore I'm afraid but if I recall correctly I used to get it in Superquinn.
    Yeah they still have it, well the Blackrock one does definitely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

One of the quickest and easiest dinners imaginable.
    Tomato, chickpea and chorizo stew.
    At its simplest just fry an onion and chuck in a half a chopped chorizo, a tin of tomatoes and a tin of chickpeas.
    Mine had some celery, a red pepper, garlic and chilli flakes too.
    Served with some rye sourdough.

DSC02088.jpg

Making this now! Ta :)

Floured and pan fried haddock with a dressing of ginger, lemon juice and zest, brazilnut oil, sesame oil, little bit of wasabi, salt and pepper. (with a little corner of it eaten!)
    Pan fried oca.
    Stirfried Chinese leaves and pak choi with left over sauce from last week's veg stirfry.

DSC02089.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Panfried salmon darns dusted with turmeric flour, potato dauphinoise and steamed fine beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Tried to cook a vegetable tangine and it was beautiful, but slightly burned and al-dente:P Had it with cous cous, but let it thicken to much and the spices didn't really flavor it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Roasted sweet potato, topped with goats cheese and a celery, dried cranberry, parsley and roasted pecan nut salsa. Serious noms.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Up the walls with college exams so haven't posted much here! But I have been cooking, just to avoid studying :pac:

Monday: A lovely slow-cooked beef stew, served with baked potatoes and homemade Yorkshire puddings.

Tuesday: Leftover stew, with creamy mashed potatoes and more homemade yorkies.

Today: North Thai Chicken Curry

Yummy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Last night had pan fried pork chops with an apple and wholegrain mustard cream sauce, served with buttery champ. Yum.

Not a great picture but you get the gist.....

672180821.jpg?key=16001200&Expires=1358374330&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=WPU2UVSphaImT-GHOVyFhBki1mTVSjbvBAD5yVzCT8k2~sTtYnnqYUI0GxWoRjFOexoKic0qXh91LnqEL-KlYxQlznnZ1uwjrTxkWkg4Yy4p-BrYxsgld-iwi-8v6IAFNO0SihATL96YP6F2iWBBiZkQSq1YBwF9j-FAkYwEgSI_

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

We had chicken stir fry with singapore noodles. I'd forgotten how quick & easy they are.
    And damn tasty!

5D2749D8-1124-490B-9042-D9F8F378368C-12271-00000DB295D86CED.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

A very simple veggie bake

E6C1BBFC9F554133BC9CF095C322328D-0000353053-0003131633-00640L-9E2394EEE3D0449A9D6EFED9B2C648E3.jpg

Last night I ate quite late again and had a few ingredients that I needed to use up so I made what turned out to be some kind of curry/stew.

Chicken seasoned with paprika in the pan with onions, mushrooms and yellow bell pepper. I added in some boiled sweet potato and some chick peas. Cooked these for a few minutes then stirred in some natural yoghurt and curry powder.

It was average just not spicy enough, a bit bland if anything.

chickampsweetpot_zps524b3859.jpg

Free range pork mince, onions, spring onion white bits, garlic, ginger, chillies, lemongrass, coconut milk, rose wine, soy sauce, blanched mange tout, toasted cashews, spring onion green bits, coriander leaf.
    White Thai rice.

DSC02157.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Floured and pan fried haddock with a dressing of ginger, lemon juice and zest, brazilnut oil, sesame oil, little bit of wasabi, salt and pepper. (with a little corner of it eaten!)
    Pan fried oca.
    Stirfried Chinese leaves and pak choi with left over sauce from last week's veg stirfry.

Where did you get the oca? Does it taste like the knobbly thin potatoes you can buy in Sainsburys? (name escapes me!)

Where did you get the oca? Does it taste like the knobbly thin potatoes you can buy in Sainsburys? (name escapes me!)

Originally got them at a farmers market, ate some and put the rest in the ground so we have a few every year.

The best way I could describe them is like a small, lemony, waxy potato.
    Very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

My new lasagne recipe.

An attempt at a healthy lasagne, I think it turned out pretty well, I'd probably use a little more tomato sauce next time.

236700.jpg

236701.jpg
    And only 485 calories!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Dinner tonight was carrot and lentil soup which I had leftover from yesterday and couscous stuffed roasted pepper with lemon chicken with a BLT crusty roll side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Spent the afternoon rendering down some pork fat, all so I could make toad in the hole :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement