Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Saag Murgh or Chicken Saag! Adapted from a Madhur Jaffery recipe.

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=14416

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Trackguy could you give me recipe I always order this from Indian but have never cooked it myself your pic is giving me cravings ta !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'd like that recipe as well Trackguy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Went to make a curry last night, I'd prepped everything and then realised I didn't in fact have any coconut milk in the cupboard! So I ended up making a spicy stir fry.

paprika chicken, onion, garlic, mushroom, yellow pepper, one huge green chilli and a small red chilli and peas. fish sauce, soy sauce, s&p and once this had all been cooked, I added in a tablespoon of lemon and lime syrup that I had made for a lemon drizzle cake. All served with basmati rice and a dollop of sour cream.

FE6A57C3-EBFE-4E1B-8ED1-B7A4984F2559-16332-0000121D16D2B327.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 194 ✭✭andym1

Talk about scraping the barrell, I went to work yesterday without my wallet and had 3 euro in change walking home up Dorset St. Bought some liver and
    raided the freezer and found a handful of frozen mixed veg, a smidgen of pasta and found an onion lurking down below in the fridge and Taa Daa !!!
    vbulletin2i03x95.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

I tried homemade pizza for the first time the other night.
    Kept the toppings pretty simple, just some slices of chorizo and a bit of fresh basil. Found rolling out the dough to be a bit of a pain, but other than that it worked out great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Pan-fried salmon with broccoli, parsley lemon potatoes and hollandaise sauce.

236982.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Tonight I was on strike. Told the kids to cook me dinner (age 6 & 11). A sh1t week was had.

I got 'semi' burnt homemade chicken tenders & chips.
    The chicken was amazing to be fair, they even made their own breadcrumbs.

D5DE85C4-62F4-47B7-B68A-BD0D141A64B5-14590-00000FFAFA7521A4.jpg

#proud mammy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Tonight we had the local butcher's delicious chicken Kiev, mustard champ, petit pois and peppercorn sauce.

tonight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

Loopy wrote: »
    Tonight I was on strike. Told the kids to cook me dinner (age 6 & 11). A sh1t week was had.

I got 'semi' burnt homemade chicken tenders & chips.
    The chicken was amazing to be fair, they even made their own breadcrumbs.

This really warmed my heart. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

OH came home from some slimming class with a recipe I immediately snuffed at considering where it came from.

She asked for some help in making it so I did and mocked it until I sat down and ate it. Oh Man!! Unbelievably simple, quick and damn tasty.

1 lb of diced chicken.

2 servings of basmati rice (boil in the bag is dead handy)

3 tablespoons each of Honey, Soy Sauce and Balsamic Vinegar.

3 chopped spring onions.

Mix the honey, soy and vinegar in a bowl. Add the chicken and leave sit for 30 mins.

Throw the chicken and its marinade into a hot non stick pan and simmer for 10 mins stirring regularly so it doesn't stick.

Put the rice on at the same time and the whole lot is done in 10 mins.

Serve with a heap of spring onion. Serves 2. Mad simple and tasty.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Loopy wrote: »

You should be. I know kids twice their ages who couldn't cook anything!
    Chicken looks lovely - I'd say slightly charred rather than burnt.

We had really good rib eyes (with a bit of bone) done on the gas BBQ; rosti; carrots; crushed peas with a little butter, fresh mint and lemon juice; red wine, port, bacon, thyme and redcurrant reduction.

DSC02169.jpg

It makes me very happy when I get steaks just right.
    Last night I nailed it!:D

DSC02170.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Danii86

Few meals to catch up on....
    Had dinner in my friends last week...all cooked a course each...i had dessert and made molten chocolate babycakes alla nigella. Full dinner was cajun salmon salad for starter, cod fishcakes for main served with chilli roasted chickpeas and sweet potato wedges and roasted veggies then my babycakes with vanilla icecream!

Made soup during the week as it got so cold...made cumin and celearic soup, added some turnip to bulk it out and had it with a dollop of creme fraiche and brownbread.

Had veggie curry last night, used soyabeans, butternut squash and red peppers. Kinda just made it up as i went along, bitta cumin corriander garam masala ginger chilli stock creme fraiche, tasted yum though, lovely ans warming.

Cooking first meal in the OHs new house tonight, making my mushroom and sausage pasta that iv posted here before, he works in cork city so got him to pop into the english market and get some sausages from o'flynns....nicest sauages EVER!! So this should be extra yummy tonight!!

Ya just gotta love an Irish stew:D:D

DSC02171.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Tonight I attempted to make spicy chicken wings. I coated wings in cornflour and left them to rest in the fridge for an hour or so. I cooked them in the halogen oven at 250C for about 35 minutes. Meanwhile, I melted butter and added Frank's hot sauce, and cooked for a while.

I didn't have the ingredients for a blue cheese dip, so I cobbled together a garlic mayonnaise dip.

The cooking method provided good results. The chicken was tender and crispy. The sauce however was way too salty. I didn't add anything, or season the chicken, so it must have been the butter used. The dip was a disaster, and didn't go with the wings at all. Overall, I'd give it a 5/10. To be honest, I enjoy the experience of going out for chicken wings and beer, so eating them at home was never going to be as good!

Should be unsalted butter, Faith. Sauce can be manky otherwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

tbr - Could you share your recipe for Irish Stew? It looks delish!

Tonight I made a chilli & basil beef stir fry. I finely sliced ginger, garlic & some birds eye chillis & fried these with thinly sliced beef & 1 tsp of Thai 7 spice. Then added scallions, julienned bamboo shoots & par-boiled green beans. A tbsp each of oyster sauce, soya sauce & water & 2 tsp of sambal oelek gave it a bit if juice. At the last minute I threw in a good handful of torn basil leaves.

It rocked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

Homemade pizza with mixed salad leaves, parma ham, tomatoes, mozzarella slices, garlic salami, potatoes, homemade tomato sauce and cheddar cheese.

pizza_zps94a45184.jpg

and sweet potato wedges and garlic bread.

wedges_zps7cef0e45.jpg

Wasn't happy with the garlic bread, meant to unwrap it before finishing cooking to crisp it up, but forgot!

Pizza was delish though! :D

Tonight was shepherds pie.... No pic as I didnt enjoy it ...... Don't know why just did not hit the spot......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Had the family over for Boeuf Bourguignon with mash & petit pois.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sausage stew" enough for two

8 sausages de-skinned
    2 peppers
    half a large Spanish sized onion
    One Garlic
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes
    half a real tomato
    herbs of your choice
    black pepper
    Ketchup

squish the sausages together and fry them in oil, break up when cooked and put aside, chop peppers, onion, garlic and dump in frying pan and gently cook until soft add sausage, chopped tinned tomatoes, diced real tomato plus a few dollops of ketchup give it a mix and simmer under a lid for 15 minutes add pepper and herbs at last minute serve in a big soup bowl with chunks of bread.

tbr - Could you share your recipe for Irish Stew? It looks delish!

No recipe as such.
    Irish stew is hard to get too wrong.
    I usually use lamb or mutton shoulder which I get the butcher to saw into large chunks but lately I've discovered a local butcher who sells lamb pieces for €1.99 a pound (I believe a pound is an old measure the people used long ago). This is nice sized chunks of shoulder, shank and various other bits with some bone in - so perfect and cheap. Gigot chops are fine as are rack chops but are often very thin and I prefer a bit more chunk to the meat. Cut up (by the butcher) shank is excellent for stew too. You must have some bone. Irish stew always uses lamb or mutton (I like mutton better) and never beef. It is never browned and never thickened more than the bit of potato and barley will thicken it - ie no flour or cornflour.

Now, the easy part - the cooking.

Soak a cup of pearl barley in boiling water.

Trim any excess fat off the lamb and put into a heavy pot on a medium heat.
    I had about two of these old 'pound' measures of pieces. The meat will slowly render oot a bit of fat and will gently brown. I'm not going for any serious searing/sealing/browning - just let the meat colour a bit while preparing the veg and give it the odd stir. Skip this part if you wish but I find it does add a little bit of flavour without really browning the stew.

Chop up two medium onions, about three or four carrots, a stick of celery and a leek and throw them into the pot, and a finely diced floury potato.

Throw in the barley and its water.

Here's the controversial bit: Top up with lager or pale ale. My pot took two 33cl bottles of out of date Tiger beer and a bit of water to cover the meat and veg. I used to just use water but the beer really does add to the depth of flavour without ever tasting of beer. You really would never guess there was beer in it if you didn't know. Don't use a dark beer. A light chicken or pork stock would be excellent too and just water is ok if there is plenty of bone in the pot.

Put in a good bunch of fresh thyme and some parsley stalks if you you have them. Fresh thyme is a must, though. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for about 2 hours on the hob or put it in a 150c oven for the same time (bring it up to a simmer on the hob first).

Ideally you should let it go cold causing the fat to solidify on top allowing for easy removal. Then reheat and eat with steamed spuds and fresh flat leaf parsley thrown over. Or if you can't wait just skim off as much fat as you can with a spoon and serve. Then eat the rest the next day!:D
    I also love it in a bowl with buttered crusty bread rather than spuds for the odd change.

You can, if you like, cook your potatoes on top of the stew for the last hour. Unless you're short on pots, I see no real advantage to this.

Irish stew can take quite a bit of salt but I find using the beer reduces the amount of salt it seems to need for some reason.

Oh, I did go on a bit, didn't I

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Chicken-Leek-Bacon Pie

E48BEE685DD3462A98060700C4206170-0000353053-0003134806-00640L-FB57252D69FB4348B21C9B855929209A.jpg

Probably not for here but what the hell. Just had the Bangers and Mash in The Porterhouse. Oh man oh man it was delicious. 3 big sausies, dreamy mash and gravy all served in a huge Yorshire Pudding bowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Sirloin steak, potatoes, mixed veg and spinach cooked in milk and butter for us tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Food prep for the week - Done!

Beef and Ale Stew, tonight's dinner +2 for the fridge/freezer
    Cajun Chicken Breasts - 5 days lunch
    Butternut Squash and Apple Soup - 3 Portions - 2 for tomorrow night

Stew:
    237320.jpg

Cajun Chicken, cooked in a knorr Season and Shake bag
    237321.jpg

I also found this pic on my phone. Fillet steak with mashed carrot and green beans, from Thursday night.
    237322.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Danii86

Last nights sausage pasta was loved by the OH, it may become a regular fav in his house!!

On sunday evenings i generally crave pasta...stems from craving carbs when hungover on sundays, so tonight i made up a spinach and pasta dish. Softened up some onion and garlic in rapeseed oil and then added LOTS of spinach leaves and let them wilt, added salt pepper and freshly grated nutmeg and some chopped almonds (in hindsight these may hav been nicer toasted slightly) then got out the hand blender (christmas present from my dad and im addicted to it!!!) blitzd and added 3 sundried tomatoes and a generous tbsp of creme fraiche and blitzed again then tossed it into some penne....i may hav gone a little heavy on the spinach mix as it was just me i was cooking for but i was really pleased with how it tasted, may make this again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

424051_10151766233519657_1883382666_n.jpg

Possibly the best homemade pizza I've made yet. Wholemeal base with a passata sauce which was seasoned with coarse black pepper, salt, parsley, chilli powder and a little paprika. On top of this was paper thin onion and mushrooms, vintage cheddar, mascarpone and pancetta. It was really rather delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/424051_10151766233519657_1883382666_n.jpg

Possibly the best homemade pizza I've made yet. Wholemeal base with a passata sauce which was seasoned with coarse black pepper, salt, parsley, chilli powder and a little paprika. On top of this was paper thin onion and mushrooms, vintage cheddar, mascarpone and pancetta. It was really rather delicious.

Looks good, would love to see your recipe for the wholemeal base.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement