Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

hardCopy wrote: »
    Looks good, would love to see your recipe for the wholemeal base.

Ah I cheated there I'm afraid and used one of these:

222205.jpg

For me the pizza is won or lost on the sauce/toppings so that's where my effort goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

There's been much mention of chickpea & chorizo stew here lately, which reminded me I hadn't had it in ages followed quickly by a lovely relative giving me a whopper of a chorizo iberico because they don't like chorizo (which is just plain odd but if it means free expensive goodness for me I'll leave them be). I'm loathe to criticise my own cooking but I really effed it up, it was way more an eating than a cooking chorizo at all so it leached out a *lot* of fat. Was a very oily dinner indeed, still tasty but you sort of had to ignore the puddle of orange grease at the base of the bowl as you ate. Chorizo sandwiches all round instead!

AA388679-B85B-475B-A210-DF0A4254E710-28046-00001E6070B150DD.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

they don't like chorizo which is just plain odd

My oh doesn't like chorizo. :(

It's tough. You think you love someone then they drop that bombshell....

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

pampootie wrote: »
    My oh doesn't like chorizo. :(

It's tough. You think you love someone then they drop that bombshell....
    Listen: if our relationship has survived Her Indoors not liking the Coen brothers' films, anything is possible. Tough it out!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

My week's worth of dinners.
    Wednesday we had A BAGUETTE :eek:;), stuffed with salads, ham & cheese. From the sandwich bar, no less.

Thursday's meatloaf with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, dressed with olive oil, basil, seasoning. Raw (yes I love a bit of unadulterated horse poo) mushrooms with a spoon of sourcream, pinch of salt, loadsa cracked black pepper.
    2gsl4r9.jpg

Friday : You can call it a frittata, I call it a crustless quiche. Leek and smoked lardons and roquefort cheese.
    30l2qup.jpg

Saturday : Whole grilled mackerel, warm cauliflower salad. Dressing made with garlic, lemon zest and juice, capers, parsley, olive oil and seasoning.
    35l6tlk.jpg

Sunday : Homemade beef burger with homemade flax seed bun and a few potato wedges (also homemade), sprinkled with - yes you guessed it - homemade cajun spicemix. :D
    333d0jo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Italian sausages with lentils, pancetta and chilli

picture.php?albumid=1830&pictureid=14432

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Tonight: butternut squash soup with warm homemade brown bread. Beef and mushroom pie with chips and broccoli, followed by baked apples with cream.

I think we can safely say the January diet has been shelved until this weather improves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

pampootie wrote: »
    Tonight: butternut squash soup with warm homemade brown bread. Beef and mushroom pie with chips and broccoli, followed by baked apples with cream.

I think we can safely say the January diet has been shelved until this weather improves!

I just had butternut squash and apple soup with ciabatta. Brownie and ice cream on the way.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I had a Thai green chicken curry from the freezer, from one of my bulk cooking sprees. I had a brainwave - instead of microwaving it, I stuck the foil dish in with the rice while it was cooking. When the rice was cooked, I checked and found the curry not only thawed but piping hot. Genius! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I had meatloaf, lots of it. Wrapped in Bacon. Nom...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

I decided to copy everyone else in here and made chorizo and chickpea stew too. Added lots of veg and made it with ancho chilli. Just what you need on a cold night like this!

20130121_193030.jpg

90beeda861b11e46f036f99415617d01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

MarkMc wrote: »
    I had meatloaf, lots of it. Wrapped in Bacon. Nom...

I'd do anything for meatloaf, (but I won't do that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

A winter warmer of chilli lamb sausage, bacon and lentil stew. I had some sirloin left over so I sliced it into strips and cooked with the stew. - onion, garlic, red chilli, mushroom, carrots, butter beans. Seasoned with thyme, paprika, tomato and anchovy purée and the oblig S&P

Served with some crusty brown roll and butter

FF2C2E19-C97E-4A70-A8F8-2DAFDE9A084E-19454-000015924E368622.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

gjc wrote: »
    Trackguy could you give me recipe I always order this from Indian but have never cooked it myself your pic is giving me cravings ta !!!!
    I'd like that recipe as well Trackguy

Sure thing. I adapted it from a Madhur Jaffery recipe. Her version uses a jointed chicken pieces instead of chicken breast and hers does not include garam masala. She also includes fried onions as a garnish and a large amount of oil. Mine is healthier (and better obviously!):P

285g spinach
    2 onions, chopped
    2 inch piece of ginger, chopped
    4 cloves of garlic, chopped
    Oil
    5 cardamom pods
    1 stick cinnamon
    2 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    4 chicken breasts, chopped
    6 tbsp natural yoghurt
    2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
    1 tbsp garam masala

Cook the spinach in 120ml of water over a medium heat for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain. Chop it very finely and set aside. You could puree it in a processor to get it extra fine.

Put the onion, garlic and ginger in a blender along with a few tbsp of water to form a paste.

Pour a few tbsp of oil into a pan and set over a medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the cinnamon and cardamom pods. Let them sizzle briefly before adding the paste. Fry for 5 minutes, stirring all the time, until the paste has lightly browned.

Add the coriander, cumin and cayenne pepper and stir thoroughly. Cook for a minute or two. Add the chicken pieces and keep stirring. Add the yoghurt, 1 tbsp every minute for 5 minutes, stirring to keep browning the chicken. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes.

Add the spinach and about 300ml of water (enough to form a sauce). Season with salt and bring up to a simmer. Reduce the heat and cook gently until the chicken is cooked and the sauce has slightly thickened. Add the garam masala and season to taste.

Serve with rice/ naan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I'd do anything for meatloaf, (but I won't do that).

I've always wondered...what is "that?" :D

Had this a few nights ago - Punjabi Vegetable Curry with pineapple chutney, tomato & cucumber raita and coriander.

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=14439

trackguy wrote: »

Dunno but he felt pretty strongly about it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

trackguy wrote: »

There's actually a different "that" in each verse, if you listen closely to the lyrics :).
    But I'll never stop dreaming of you ev'ry night of my life, no way
    I would do anything for love
    Oh, I would do anything for love
    I would do anything for love, but I won't do that
    No, I won't do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Am really suffering with a cold at the moment & fancied a chicken stew like I had when I was a kid. I threw one together yesterday in no time at all & it was fantastic.

4 chicken thighs & drumsticks (de-skinned & jointed)
    4 large carrots chopped
    2 leeks chopped
    4 sticks celery chopped
    6 spuds quartered
    2 bay leaves
    few sprigs of thyme
    1.5l of chicken stock

Just chuck the lot in a pot, bring to the boil, then simmer for a hour.
    It wouldn't be easier or tastier on a cold snowy day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Chicken thighs cooked with stewed red peppers and onions. Garlic, red chilli, paprika, saffron, little drop of rosé wine and some concentrated chicken stock went in too.
    Served with red rice (or as it says on the packet: "Red Raw Rice" !:D

DSC02172.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Last night

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »

There's actually a different "that" in each verse, if you listen closely to the lyrics :).
    She must be one wild lady

Ok I'll stop now

Tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

jrbupl.jpg

Greek lemon chicken thighs, and a southwestern potato salad.

Sweet potatoes, diced, tossed in hot spices and olive oil, and roasted with corn. Then dressed with lime juice, red wine vinegar, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and smoked paprika, and topped with crumbled feta. Good schtuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Beef bourguignon

237667.jpg

Had a late lunch pre-work snack of homemade bison burgers.

A little egg white, a little salt, and healthy shakes of parsley, pepper and paprika formed nice little patties that held together beautifully.

The juices that ran off the burgers tasted unreal, puts beef to shame IMO.

Served on a toasted bun with fresh avocado, homemade salsa and a little mayo.

Now I know what Meatloaf was singing about.....

Tonight I made a salad with grilled paprika chicken with rocket, chickpeas, baby tomatoes, black olives, avocado and some cracked pepper.

Ill be having this for lunch tomorrow with 2 boiled eggs

492678B0-233F-491F-B158-21860CA0F13D-20335-000016C166B53C53.jpg

gjc wrote: »
    Tonight

That looks delicious gjc! Would you mind sharing the recipe please?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Tonight it was once again a fairly simple pasta dish - sauce made from a variety of green veggies (broccoli, sugar snap peas, courgette). More of a spring time/summery pasta dish actually...

BB49814460B04EE9AD48A94837C5710A-0000353053-0003137245-00640L-5F9CE366F78D4C1D94F03436FF54F683.jpg

tmc86 wrote: »
    That looks delicious gjc! Would you mind sharing the recipe please?

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1521/summerinwinter-chicken

I have to say this was a winner thank you to the foodie who posted this website I'm lovin it at the mo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1...winter-chicken

I have to say this was a winner thank you to the foodie who posted this website I'm lovin it at the mo
    Love that website.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement