Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Courgette, feta & mint frittata, black pudding, baked potato and peas.

Frittata was lovely - got the recipe from the ICA cookbook, which has loads of delicious recipes.

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=14449

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

merry christmas trackguy !!!:D:D:D. Are you still celebrating last christmas 2012 or are you getting ahead of the rush for later this year???:D:D:D:D:D

The ICA would show you how to cook yourself outta recession...must pick myself up one of those cookbooks....do you have to be a member to get one or are they in the likes of easons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

trackguy wrote: »
    Courgette, feta & mint frittata, black pudding, baked potato and peas.

Frittata was lovely - got the recipe from the ICA cookbook, which has loads of delicious recipes.

Don't quote pictures!

That frittatta looks really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

hardCopy wrote: »
    That frittatta looks really good.

I agree! It looks like a tasty pizza slice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Love that website.

Me too, prefer it to just the BBC Food website. Less "cheffy", more practical recipes. Plus, lots of the recipes have been reviewed, and the comments section will often contain helpful tips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

gjc wrote: »
    merry christmas trackguy !!!:D:D:D. Are you still celebrating last christmas 2012 or are you getting ahead of the rush for later this year???:D:D:D:D:D

The ICA would show you how to cook yourself outta recession...must pick myself up one of those cookbooks....do you have to be a member to get one or are they in the likes of easons

Ha - I was wondering what you were on about it for a minute there! Still have a stack of those napkins left to use! :D

The ICA book is great. The recipes are much more modern than I expected. I won it just before Xmas from Gill & MacMillan along with the MacNean cookbook, Sophie Kooks, a Domini Kemp book and Eat Like an Italian by Catherine Fulvio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

On Monday night I put some dried beans into my slowcooker (can't remember what type, they're a pinkish colour but not borlotti) with an onion, half a head of garlic and a couple of carrots popped one of those Aldi odds & ends of ham packs on top of it, added water and left on low over night. Now I have loads of savoury garlic-y beans and ham. Last night I fried up some chunks of ham then added eggs, beans and some of the broth from the slow cooker and had a sort of a hash for dinner with loads of franks & chili ricecakes. It was lovely if not all that pretty

franks_and_eggs_zpsc82469dd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Am really suffering with a cold at the moment & fancied a chicken stew like I had when I was a kid. I threw one together yesterday in no time at all & it was fantastic.

4 chicken thighs & drumsticks (de-skinned & jointed)
    4 large carrots chopped
    2 leeks chopped
    4 sticks celery chopped
    6 spuds quartered
    2 bay leaves
    few sprigs of thyme
    1.5l of chicken stock

Just chuck the lot in a pot, bring to the boil, then simmer for a hour.
    It wouldn't be easier or tastier on a cold snowy day.

Made this tonight. For such a simple recipe it was ridiculously good. I ate too much though and I'm fooked right now.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Sirloin steak, red onion marmalade, red wine gravy, roasted potato and sweet potato wedges

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=14450

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

trackguy wrote: »

The ICA book is great. The recipes are much more modern than I expected. I won it just before Xmas from Gill & MacMillan along with the MacNean cookbook, Sophie Kooks, a Domini Kemp book and Eat Like an Italian by Catherine Fulvio.

You lucky divil you.:rolleyes:

Tonight I made Parmesan breaded chicken along with creamy tomato fusili bake and rocket & cherry tomato salad.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I had the summer in winter chicken. Man, that's tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Danii86

Made a fish pie tonight, from the afforementioned bbc good food website! Im addicted to the site, and am forever perusing it lookin 4 ideas. This was from a recipie titled fish and broccoli pie. I adapted ot by addin potatoes and used a low gi bread roll to made the crumb ontop(on a low gi diet)
    Used a packet of keohans fish pie mix, it had smoked haddock, salmon and cod and i also used some king prawns. It was a lovey hearty pie, realy tasty and filling. Served it with some sauted spinach with eschalot and nutmeg. Om nom nom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Had a pasta sauce that I pretty much chucked everything into:P Had some beans, red pepper, sausages, onion, and honey. Also, had paprika, cumin, and cayenne (hadn't any chilli...kind of needed it though. )

Quick question, would you say a Wok's worth the bit of money?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Quick question, would you say a Wok's worth the bit of money?

Cheap and cheerful is the way to go. There's quite a recent thread on the subject here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79423864

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We had a lovely fresh light dinner tonight - pan fried lemon sole, buttery new potatoes, roasted vine cherry tomatoes and stir fried carrots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

We had cottage pie...it was manna. It's bloody baltic out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Tonight I made panfried salmon darns and stir fried egg noodles.
    I have a thing for fish lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I ended up going for an Indian after work last night.

Shared a starter of chicken tikka and onion bhajis.

DF014792-909E-4E21-9A90-464CF23D68C6-431-000000B8DB807C51.jpg

For main course I had lamb saagwala and fragrant rice but I was so hungry I forgot to take a photo!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight I made a chicken curry pie and we had it with potato wedges. It was delicious and I'll definitely make it again :)

IMG_1882_thumb.jpg

IMG_1884_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Chicken satay to start

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=14462

Followed by nasi goreng. This was so tasty cant wait to have it again! :D

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=14463

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Last night was really nice Asian-style fish goujons (fish seasoned with limejuice and 5-spice before fried in a coating of dessicated coconut) with stir-fried vegetables, which was absolutly delicious but didn't look anywhere good enough to justify getting the camera out...

Tonight I stayed with the Asian theme and made a sticky pork stir fry

43B3307FE72044219194709EE99870B5-0000353053-0003141124-00800L-61AFE54AFA884D4DB823477E0E899248.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we are having Parmesan-chicken, similar to the recipe here http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11800/crisp-parmesan-chicken-with-garlic-and-lemon-brocc

For the chicken I will put some lemon juice (just a small squeeze) and some dried herbs along with the cheese/bread crumbs mixture.

We will have it with vegetables........and beer. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Chicken breast with red pepper in Nandos BBQ sauce. Threw in a fair amount of chili flakes to spice it up a bit.

Terrible picture but you get the idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

From a couple of nights ago:
    Tesco finest pork sausages (reduced section;)), crushed frozen peas, quinoa (don't know why we don't eat this more often) and some leftover chicken with onions and peppers from a couple of days previous.

DSC02173.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I absolutely love quinoa and it has always been a staple in our house.
    I can even remember my mam cooking it for us when we were young on a regular basis (and I'm getting on a bit). Wow! she was rather progressive with her cooking style.:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Long time lurker first time poster!

Had curryaddicts chicken rogan josh and chicken korma served with pilau rice, bombay potatoes, tomato, cucumber and onion salad with yoghurt and cumin dressing.
    Followed by chocolate brownies with summer fruits and mascapone cream
    Yum...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Could someone tell me what is quinoa (i have googled it) what does it taste like ...have never had it....where would i get some....and how best to cook it.....i am going to set myself the challenge of trying something new this week....it it expensive or cheap to buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

gjc wrote: »
    Could someone tell me what is quinoa (i have googled it) what does it taste like ...have never had it....where would i get some....and how best to cook it.....i am going to set myself the challenge of trying something new this week....it it expensive or cheap to buy

quinoa could be described as somewhere between brown rice, pearl barley and couscous with a slight nutty taste but still pretty neutral. It is simply simmered (1 part quinoa, 2 parts water) for about 12 minutes. It has quite a strong vegetal smell when cooking but this isn't evident in the eating.
    Any whole food/health food shop will have it. It really does have a nice texture.
    Probably more expensive than rice but it won't break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Danii86

Tescos stock quinoa, its with all the dried beans etc.

Last night i had a bit of a craving for a good ole meat and two veg sorta dinner....soooo...had roast beef with mashed carrots n parsnips, broccoli and homemade potato wedges, totally hit the spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Last night had about 40 litres of Hoegaarden and a lot of cheese for dinner. Fun but paying for it today. Tonight my partner has to work really late so just put carnitas in the oven for a midnight feast. Be interesting to see which gives me the worse sleep - huge over consumption of pork in the middle of the night or huge over consumption of beer

carnitas_zps1aa1a076.jpg

And the finished product (a little dryer than it should be because my oven is a GIT and lied about what temperature it was at) served with pico de gallo, strong cheddar and sour cream

carnitas-3_zpsa5cc8893.jpg
    carnitas_2_zpscba15e50.jpg
    carnitas_zps99308740.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement