Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we're having lamb chops, broccoli and creamy buttery onion mashed potatoes. Yum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had some roast leg of lamb that I'd frozen a few weeks ago, with roast baby potatoes, carrot & parsnip mash, broccoli, brussels sprouts, gravy and mint sauce. I intended taking a pic but then hunger took over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Had that pasta sauce from a while ago last night, and it definitely needed the chilli spices. I microwaved the leftover after defrosting and threw the chilli in beforehand, and it made it very, very tasty.
    Supposedly it smelt like I was cooking (microwaving) Indian food.

The next time I think I'll do it in the frying pan, and make it extra oily just so I can have something to dip bread/pizza/Sausages or what have you into.

Does cooked oily canned tomatos keep in fridge?

Edit: It's kind of funny the difference in my cooking (or lack of them) and other posters:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

My potatoes were gone to bits so ended up having beef & ale stew with brown rice, also found a portion of butternut squash and apple soup in the fridge so had that for a starter.

I was too hungry to take a picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Roast chicken, roast parsnips, steamed carrots & broccoli and gravy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

One of those puffy Mediterranean wraps with fried eggs, bacon with extra burnt crispy bits & chipotle refried beans (and ketchup, which is not pictured as the picture was fugly enough without little glossy red splatters)

bacon_eggs_refried_beans_zpsd1684605.jpg

These are delightful

empacadora-san-marcos-refried-94376.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Chicken biryiani! Very yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Chicken and chorizo in an almond mole with green rice :D

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=14488

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Chicken and chorizo in an almond mole with green rice :D

Sorry to be a pain, but would you care to share the recipe for this?
    I'm always trying to think of new meals and this looks right up my street!
    Thanks in advance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I had a dilemma before posting this, I felt like I had to somehow justify having such a large portion of ****e for dinner, maybe explain how much I've been working lately, explaining I'm away from home and how long its been since I've had a fry, or, much to the amusement of my gf, I even considered plating a smaller portion, taking a photo and then mounding up :o

Then I decided I didn't care what the internet thought :)

So tonight we had a fry, half n half spicy and mild Italian sausage, a scoop of Irish beans (don't get me started on Canadian beans :mad:), hot sauce fried egg, 3 crispy rashers, 2 pieces of very expensive black pudding (can't get white), 4 hash browns and half a bake your own white baguette.

I ate it all :cool:

017gad.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I had a dilemma before posting this, I felt like I had to somehow justify having such a large portion of ****e for dinner, maybe explain how much I've been working lately, explaining I'm away from home and how long its been since I've had a fry, or, much to the amusement of my gf, I even considered plating a smaller portion, taking a photo and then mounding up :o

So tonight we had a fry, half n half spicy and mild Italian sausage, a scoop of Irish beans (don't get me started on Canadian beans :mad:), hot sauce fried egg, 3 crispy rashers, 2 pieces of very expensive black pudding (can't get white), 4 hash browns and half a bake your own white baguette.

It looks AMAZING....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Epic. You could nearly win the internet with that meal.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

that looks like something i would have martyn, dont worry about portion size,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Beef burgers (cooked irresponsibly medium rare for me and rare for Mrs Beer) in ciabatta buns with just gherkins, tiny bit of ketchup, jalapeños, tiny bit of frank's; pan fried oca; Chinese leaf and carrot slaw.

DSC02174.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

fussyonion wrote: »
    Sorry to be a pain, but would you care to share the recipe for this? I'm always trying to think of new meals and this looks right up my street!Thanks in advance :)

No prob! Its a bit labour intensive but its really worth it :)

To start, you will need to poach a whole chicken. Add the bird to a large pan of water, making sure the water covers it. Add a onion, celery stick and carrot to the water along with some thyme, parsley and bay leaves. Finally add some peppercorns.
    Bring to the boil, reduce to a slow simmer and leave for 15-20 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave to cool in the water with the lid on. When cool, pull the chicken apart by hand, discarding the skin and shredding the flesh.

For the mole you need:
    5 plum tomatoes
    1/2 onion
    4 cloves of garlic
    1 green chilli
    60g raisins
    Olive oil
    70g almonds
    50g stale bread
    1 ancho chilli
    2 sprigs of thyme and oregano
    50g sesame seeds
    2 cloves
    4 black peppercorns
    1 x 4cm cinnamon stick
    450ml of the chicken poaching stock
    2 tsp tomato puree
    1 tbsp chipotle puree
    salt & pepper
    300g chorizo sausage
    50g green olives, chopped
    20g salted capers, chopped
    1 poached chicken, shredded

Put a large frying pan on the heat. Dry-roast the tomatoes, garlic cloves, onion and chillies. You want to get the flesh/ skins nicely charred.
    Remove the skin from the garlic and the stalk from the chilli. Add to the food processor with the tomatoes and onion.
    In the same pan, Fry the raisins in oil until they have plumped up. Add this to the processor.
    Fry the almonds in the pan until golden brown. Add these to the processor.
    Take the bread, ancho chilli and herbs and fry these until golden. Add all of these to the processor also.
    Finally fry the sesame seeds for a minute until they brown and release their oil. Grind the clove, peppercorns and cinnamon in a pestle and mortar and add these to the processor with the rest of the ingredients. Add 200ml of the stock, along with the tomato and chipotle purees. Blitz to a puree. This is your mole sauce.
    Take a large frying pan and fry the chorizo in a little oil until crisp. Add the mole sauce to this with the rest of the stock.
    Now add the shredded chicken, capers and olives and heat through. Its now ready to serve.

Enjoy! :D

I had a dilemma before posting this, I felt like I had to somehow justify having such a large portion of ****e for dinner

Only 3 pieces of crispy bacon!? You could at least have done the decent thing and gone for an even 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Beef burgers (cooked irresponsibly medium rare for me and rare for Mrs Beer)

It's not irresponsible if the meat has been minced in the few hours before cooking. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Only 3 pieces of crispy bacon!? You could at least have done the decent thing and gone for an even 4
    And only a single egg, when there's multiple of everything else? Very imbalanced! Needs at least one more egg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I had a dilemma before posting this, I felt like I had to somehow justify having such a large portion of ****e for dinner,

I reckon it's just that the plate is so small it looks very overloaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

And only a single egg, when there's multiple of everything else? Very imbalanced! Needs at least one more egg.

I'd had an egg for breakfast, I know your right though.
    I reckon it's just that the plate is so small it looks very overloaded.

Oh yeh if theres one thing I'm hindered by its my tiny plates

*thinks quickly*

Thats a cauliflower baguette!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

mi9uIeil.jpg

Fillet Steak (Medium rare), Spuds, Veg and peppercorn sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

I had a dilemma before posting this, I felt lik
    e I had to somehow justify having such a large portion of ****e for dinner

That would be the kiddies portion in my house...tuck in ....i bet it was lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I'd had an egg for breakfast, I know your right though.

Don't fell guilty. Revel in that gorgeous mealXD

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's not irresponsible if the meat has been minced in the few hours before cooking. :)

A gentle reminder that the forum charter doesn't allow any food safety advice. So much would depend on how fresh the beef was, how it was stored after mincing etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Oh how I love days off! I made lamb kofta, chipati bread and mint & garlic yoghurt. Served with rocket, sweet peppers and little bit of rice for carb filler!

5B6FD1AB-1B55-4285-98C1-22362A72A4E8-672-0000006E475633A4.jpg

A mixed kebab from the "nice" kebab place locally that was a bit greasy and horrible. Decent amount of jalapenos though and because it wasn't very nice I was able to leave a ladylike amount of it on the plate and do the 'oh I couldn't possibly eat another bite' thing. Doesn't happen v. often so I appreciated the novelty. Followed by loads of these guys

5ac5091a-bd54-4a7a-a9f0-3835eec834e3_zps8a98df60.jpg

Malteaster is here again! The happiest holiday of the year!

• Site Banned Posts: 194 ✭✭andym1

Guill wrote: »

Fillet Steak (Medium rare), Spuds, Veg and peppercorn sauce.

I love the ''token'' single slice of carrot ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

andym1 wrote: »
    I love the ''token'' single slice of carrot ! !

Would that single carrot qualify as one of your 5 a day?????:D nice pair of legs by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

gjc wrote: »

Would that single carrot qualify as one of your 5 a day?????:D nice pair of legs by the way

I didn't even notice the legs until you pointed them out! My brain just saw STEAK STEAK STEAK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Baby got all the carrots except for that slice.
    Wife has kitchen table covered in a jigsaw so dinner is on the couch these days.
    And yes, they are nice legs, well spotted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement