Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Guill wrote: »
    Baby got all the carrots except for that slice.
    Wife has kitchen table covered in a jigsaw so dinner is on the couch these days.
    And yes, they are nice legs, well spotted.
    My gf likes jigsaws, I haven't been able to put my feet on the coffee table in days :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We just put the plates on top of the jigsaw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Fish Pie (recipe from Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries II) and Chocolate Lava Cakes

44FB32384CF74037AA0145512154F076-0000353053-0003151932-00500L-8CC47633B743449D941AB747FF6E0F54.jpg

312ED3EC6BF74E85A793813FB92BCF06-0000353053-0003151931-00500L-3C76A025D0F945CEB6C32F5ED07FDD2B.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Spicy beer roast chicken, potatoes and gravy for us tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

"And yes, they are nice legs, well spotted.[/QUOTE]" Guill

Mrs Guill is a lucky woman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Tonight we had Coq Au Riesling, served with champs and steamed French beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Couple of nights ago we had a take on the chicken/rice/chorizo idea.
    A sort of a Caribbean/Spanish confusion.

DSC02175.jpg
    DSC02177.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Mussaman beef curry. Lovely flavours of ginger lemongrass and cardamom and extremely tender beef. Was delish! :)

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=14502

5unflower wrote: »
    Chocolate Lava Cakes

:eek:

Please share your recipe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Chicken Piccata with mash and greens.

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=14503

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

:)

It's a Rachel Allen recipe from her book Baking

150g good-quality dark chocolate
    125g butter
    3 eggs + 3 egg yolks
    75g caster sugar
    50g plain flour
    25g good quality cocoa powder

Basically you have to melt the chocolate and the butter together in a bowl over simmering water. Whisk the eggs and yolks with the sugar in a separate bowl until it's all fluffy. Now the recipe says to add the egg mixture to the chocolate mixture, I did it the other way around simply cause I thought that way I could control the temperature change better, I was afraid the eggs might curdle when they get in contact with the hot chocolate, so I added it very slowly.

Then mix the flour with the cocoa powder and sift it into the chocolate mixture. Fold it in carefully, do not overmix.

Pour into ramekins (which should be lightly greased) and bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes @ 180 degrees. The lava cakes should look dry from the outside and be slightly firm to the touch. For me 10 minutes was perfect timing, they were nicely gooey inside :-) Absolutely yum! I suppose some vanilla ice cream would be divine with these, there simply wasn't any in the house last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

Tried to cook Roast Beef for the first time today, very happy with the results!

beef1of1_zps394d0515.jpg

Twee. wrote: »
    Oh how I love days off! I made lamb kofta, chipati bread and mint & garlic yoghurt. Served with rocket, sweet peppers and little bit of rice for carb filler!

Oh wow, any chance of a recipe? In particular the chipati bread!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Just had beef, roast potatoes, broccoli, sprouts, carrots and parsnip mash and red wine gravy. First time cooking the beef in the slow cooker, it was the nicest beef ive had in a long time, just put in some red wine and one of those stock pot beef jellies, yum.

Roast chicken and mushroom pie with fried gnocchi

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=14520

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Somebodies going to have to teach me to make a pie like that^^^

Where did you get recipe? It looks savage.

Roast stuffed bronze turkey leg; roast carrots, shallots, garlic; fried polenta cake; salsa verde; fine green beans; winey, thymey jus.

DSC02178.jpg

spiderjazz wrote: »
    Tried to cook Roast Beef for the first time today, very happy with the results!

Great photo and the beef looks perfectly cooked but I'd urge you to try a different cut. That looks like round roast or houskeepers cut which tend to be quite dry and not terribly tender due to their leanness.
    A rib roast or sirloin roast would be so much tastier and moister.

Guill wrote: »
    Where did you get recipe? It looks savage.

Its actually one of Trackguy's recipes, I will get him to post it for you if you'd like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Great photo and the beef looks perfectly cooked but I'd urge you to try a different cut. That looks like round roast or houskeepers cut which tend to be quite dry and not terribly tender due to their leanness.

Couldn't agree more with this. I'd plump more for the Rib roast but I aint afraid of the tasty fat!:D

• Advertisement

+1 for the rib roast any time I've cooked housekeepers it has always been drier and dare I say tougher than rib. But does anyone know a way of making the most of this cut other than roasting which might tenderise and moisten the housekeepers would it be strange say to boil and braze this meat or is there any ingredient that could be added which would help I only ask because I ave given up buying this cut as I am always disappointed with it ( shoe leather!!!)and in general it would not be a cheap piece of meat . I also think that meat nowadays is not aged as well as perhaps years ago I remember my mother cooking hkeepers and it was always devine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A selection of vegetables burnt to within an inch of their lives but with a lovely raw crunchy centre (read in pissy, sarcastic tone of voice). I hate my oven & want all of your dinners
    45228cd8-ac56-4c00-902f-d5f83f49a58f_zpsc3ad4b40.jpg

Guess What.

Is it a black pudding a carrot or a parsnip?. Don't worry we've all had days like that...... I normally drain spuds forget heat is still on and burn the living daylights out of them believe me burnt spuds ain't good (my kids used to say oh god no mam is cooking spuds again today- needless to say i prefer to stick to pasta . I used to also wonder which was worse the cost of the spuds vs the cost of the electricity vs the cost of a new pot) did you try scrapping off the burnt bits( said in a similar voice)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Dónal wrote: »
    Oh wow, any chance of a recipe? In particular the chipati bread!

Here's the recipes I used!

Kofta
    http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/tv-show-recipes/cookery-school-recipes/spiced-lamb-koftas-with-minted-yoghurt-recipe

I didn't have any fresh chili and used chili flakes but would definitely say the fresh is needed for flavour. Also I used supermarket clearance minced lamb, some from the butcher probably would have been even better :p

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/indian-chapati-bread/

Trick here is to roll them super thin, as thin as you can, and a smoking hot pan. The recipe makes about 10 so kept a few uncooked and used them to make sandwiches the next day :D

For the yoghurt, I used plain greek yoghurt (about 300mls), a good handful of finely chopped mint and two cloves of garlic, minced. Best to make in advance, it was even better the next day.

Hope you enjoy!

Its actually one of Trackguy's recipes, I will get him to post it for you if you'd like.

It seems I've got to post a recipe :rolleyes:

I used 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. I seasoned them with salt & pepper and roasted them for 30 minutes in a 200 degree oven.

I then added them to a stock pot and covered with water. I added some peppercorns, thyme and rosemary and brought up to a simmer. I left to slowly bubble away for about 75 minutes.

I removed the thighs from the liquid, discarded the skin, pulled the tender meat from the bones and set it aside.

Next I heat some oil and butter over a medium-high heat. I fried a chopped onion, 5 large chopped chestnut mushrooms, a chopped clove of garlic and some more fresh thyme. When the mushrooms had given up their liquid and begun to fry again I splashed in a small glass of white wine (It was all I allowed add).

When this had sizzled for a minute or two I added about 250ml of the stock I poached the thighs in. I added a simple roux of butter & flour to thicken the gravy to my preferred consistency. I removed the pan from the heat and added some chopped parsl and some seasoning.

I used some ready rolled puff pastry which I rolled a little more to fit my pie dish. I put the chicken mixture in the pie dish and covered with the pastry. I brushed over some egg wash and into the oven it went, at 200 degrees until the top was crisp and golden.

How would I go about recreating this dish?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

Thanks for the information. I'll keep my eye out for a rib roast/sirloin roast next time I'm at the butchers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

Gorgeous looking plate of food. Can you go over your tweaks from the original?

Had Mexican scrambled eggs last night from a Thomasina Miers recipe. Fry chorizo, onion, garlic and chilli before adding the eggs, parmesan and coriander.

Served with rice, sweet potato, refried beans and pico de gallo

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=14522

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I've been away for the last 10 days doing lots of food tours, tastings and eating out so I haven't cooked in 2 weeks!

I've just caught up on the thread and it looks like the standard is reaching higher levels! some lovely looking pictures and dishes.

Now I just have to figure out which ones I am going to make!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement