Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

A few nights ago we had some mince seasoned with mexican flavours wrapped up in puff pastry

34634773FF3D4C6599E80617EC1E4049-0000353053-0003156438-00500L-C007352A66D94269BBE8803490B83534.jpg

And last night it was chicken wrapped in prosciutto on a bed of leeks...which got burned a little bit in the oven, which I could have anticipated as there wasn't really much liquid or anything...room for improvement :-).

5EF9D78E6B36432CB97595FA79135302-0000353053-0003156437-00500L-28F5D0CDB7814D508EEE40EB9F7DC7DD.jpg

Oh yes, and some apple & pear crumble for dessert...nearly forgot to take the photograph cause it was so yummy...

0B88310BDDCD44DBBF276B8D117E7B86-0000353053-0003156436-00500L-E956461313304AAE8917303F75787D85.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Chicken and Mushroom Pie that went a bit soupy... tasty none the less...

That looks delish! When I'm making a pie filling I always make it slightly thinker than I think it should be as it always tends to thin out in the pie as it cooks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Tonight I made a kind of huevos rancheros with a twist - including chicken, lentils, mushroom, onion, garlic, red chilli, baby tomatoes, 3 eggs, purée, anchovy purée, paprika, rock salt, oregano, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce and a tiny bit of sugar.

C5CB1559-77CD-4142-B18A-664B9E3E7FA7-160-00000007B8CA7345_zpsbc27b1a3.jpg

tmc86 wrote: »
    Tonight I made a kind of huevos rancheros with a twist - including chicken, lentils, mushroom, onion, garlic, red chilli, baby tomatoes, 3 eggs, purée, anchovy purée, paprika, rock salt, oregano, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce and a tiny bit of sugar.

Umami sensation!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Last night a made a variation of nice1franko's chicken and rice bake.

Used bone in oyster thighes which I browned in my casserole and rendered off the fat from under the skin, moved them to a plate and then tossed in diced chirizo and sliced mushrooms, cripsed them up and rendered off the chirizo's fat, removed to a bowl and then threw diced celery, onion and carrot and turned the heat down to medium low and let them sweat in the chicken and chirizo fat for about 7 minutes. then added in a good table spoon of tomatoe paste and cooked it out for a few minutes, then tipped in 3 cups of rice and got it good and coated in of the fat and tomato paste and cooked and stirred for about 5 minutes on high, then added a glass of pinot grigio to deglaze the bottom of the casserole, then tipped in a can of chopped tomatoes and a few cups of chicken stock, stirred in the mushrooms and chirizo and placed the chicken thighs on top, lid on and into an over at 180 for 40 minutes, taking the lid off for the last 5 or so.

Was bloody epic and have 4 portions in the freezer for lazy days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

trackguy wrote: »
    That looks delish! When I'm making a pie filling I always make it slightly thinker than I think it should be as it always tends to thin out in the pie as it cooks.

I used this recipe, but added leeks and deglazed the pan with white wine. I think what went wrong was that I didn't have enough mushrooms hence it wasn't enough to soak up the rest of the sauce. But I'll keep your tip in mind to thicken the filling in future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Last night was quick and simple: wholewheat spaghetti with a chilli-spinach-tomato sauce

C55A2B1CBADC41799DF9F6B911C8BD9B-0000353053-0003156659-00500L-1BC7DA95BDF44B3C924206120218CC7D.jpg

Spaghetti Puttanesca. I can't get enough of it, so to speak ;)

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=14535

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Having sirloin burgers tonight. Was meant to be having chicken wings but can't find the recipe for the franks with butter so will have to have a thorough look through boards tomorrow for it.

It was the one posted with information on cooking it in a deep fat fryer.

If anyone knows the recipe I'm talking about I'd greatly appreciate if you could post a link to it :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We had panfried monkfish, served with roasted vine tomatoes, champ and a lemon butter sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Having sirloin burgers tonight. Was meant to be having chicken wings but can't find the recipe for the franks with butter so will have to have a thorough look through boards tomorrow for it.

If anyone knows the recipe I'm talking about I'd greatly appreciate if you could post a link to it :)

Melted, clarified, unsalted butter mixed with Franks original to taste,

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Melted, clarified, unsalted butter mixed with Franks original to taste,
    Well balls I just melted salted creamery butter, mixed it with franks, coated the wings in it and bunged it in the oven :( Mr Toast wouldn't eat them if I simply coated the wings in the sauce once they were cooked, they had to be cooked in the sauce (in the oven) and he'll eat them.

I also got a bottle of a new hot sauce I've only seen in Dunnes, it's the wacky wings sauce, did the same as franks, melted butter, mixed etc, dying to know what it tastes like.

Well balls I just melted salted creamery butter, mixed it with franks, coated the wings in it and bunged it in the oven :( Mr Toast wouldn't eat them if I simply coated the wings in the sauce once they were cooked, they had to be cooked in the sauce (in the oven) and he'll eat them.

I also got a bottle of a new hot sauce I've only seen in Dunnes, it's the wacky wings sauce, did the same as franks, melted butter, mixed etc, dying to know what it tastes like.

I've used regular butter before, they may be a little salty but say nothing and noone will know.

Tell him he dosn't know how lucky he is getting wings cooked for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Was meant to be having chicken wings but can't find the recipe for the franks with butter so will have to have a thorough look through boards tomorrow for it.

Using a sharp knife, prepare the wings by cutting off and discarding the end tip, then cut the two wing pieces apart.
    Coat the wing pieces in seasoned flour with a good pinch of cayenne pepper added. Place in a tray, cover and leave in the fridge for a couple of hours.
    Heat oil to high. When hot, carefully drop in seven/eight pieces at a time. Stir or shake once to separate. The wings are cooked when they rise to the surface. Drain on some kitchen roll and keep warm.
    When all cooked, transfer to a baking tray. Pour over Franks and add a load of butter. Turn over wings to ensure all are thoroughly coated in sauce/butter.
    If you're watching your cholesterol, you can use any low fat emulsified spread instead. Bake in a hot oven for ten minutes.
    Serve with a blue cheese dip and some celery sticks.
    Enjoy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

Had a lovely fillet steak tonight, along with some fried onions, mushrooms and peppers.

steak1of1_zps1edd62f7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

lovely steak whats that on top

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

lovely steak whats that on top

Just some garlic butter. Cooked some of it in with the veg as well, lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

nice must try that next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

spiderjazz wrote: »
    Just some garlic butter. Cooked some of it in with the veg as well, lovely.

I'm going to FXB's for dinner next weekend. One of the options to accompany the steak is garlic butter. SO going for that!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

My husband is working valentines weekend, so we're celebrating this weekend instead. We had our first bash at making sushi.

Raw salmon nigiri, salmon maki, california rolls (crab and avocado). Obligatory Moet.

240334.jpg

• Advertisement

Pan fried Salmon, baby potatoes, spinach cooked in milk and butter with a pinch of nutmeg.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

So waddya do with leftover chicken & ham and veg that's about to turn.
    A big durty pie is what.

739A1097-004E-440F-8A38-3FD9E8E614C8-715-0000013EEB0A01A1_zps0713f536.jpg

F0CB6794-73B3-458D-A6EC-0A01F07EB351-866-00000155710B5476_zpsbd103f10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

El dangeroso, that looks fab!
    Lucky gal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭VanillaLime

IMG_1240_zps5b842ea8.jpg

Hello! Hope the picture works!
    This is the Moroccan Monkfish Tagine from Clodagh McKenna's Fresh From The Sea. My first time making it, it was delicious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

This is the Moroccan Monkfish Tagine from Clodagh McKenna's Fresh From The Sea. My first time making it, it was delicious!![/QUOTE]

You're making my mouth water can I ask you where you got your delf it looks so well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭VanillaLime

gjc wrote: »
    This is the Moroccan Monkfish Tagine from Clodagh McKenna's Fresh From The Sea. My first time making it, it was delicious!!

You're making my mouth water can I ask you where you got your delf it looks so well[/QUOTE]

Thank you!!! it's a pasta dish from Debenhams, the brand is Le Vrai Gourmet, they are a few years old so I'm not sure if they still have them. I love them and use them all the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Had turkey in a box, sugar snap peas, potatoes and a gravy made from the turkey juices.

240360.jpg

Cooked prawns on special in the supermarket so I bought a few for a prawn cocktail, got in, milled it :o, then only copped I could have done a great prawn and pork stirfry, kicking myself now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Crispy fried gnocchi with cherry tomato sauce and bacon. It was yummy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Holy jaaaaaysus that's a lovely piece of steak up there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement