Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Rib eye steak, carrot, parsnip and broccoli mashed with garlic butter, roasties, and a muddled together sauce that actually turned out quite nice- onion, garlic, porcini mushroom, cream, lemon juice, chive and lots of tarragon and crushed black peppercorns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Oxtail and ale stew with herb dumplings and parsnips. First time cooking oxtail and my god it's delicious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Cooked another meal on Saturday night for the lads.

Appetiser - Mini Prawn & Chive cakes with a lemon, garlic and chive dipping yoghurt

miniprawncakes_zps08b5c468.jpg

Starter - Spiced veg samosas (potato, carrrot, onion, mushroom, peas, garlic, cumin, paprika, hot sauce, curry powder) with a curried yoghurt dipping sauce

vegsamosas_zpsa655b67e.jpg

Main - Mint Lamb meatball hotdogs with a mint yoghurt sauce served with sweet potato chips and aguava dipping sauce.

lambhotdogs_zps786fd340.jpg

Dessert - Peanut butter chocolate cheesecake served with blueberries and hot chocolate sauce (I'll be on a fast this week after this!)

choccheesecake_zpse4fe25ae.jpg

And then last night for the rugby and the rain, I made a comforting dinner of Mac n' Cheese with ciabatta garlic bread

MacnCheese_zps95622ba4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Last night I made meatloaf.

I was wary of trying this due to years of American sitcom gags about dry meatloaf but it turned out really nice and moist.

240548.jpg

240549.jpg

It's a very easy recipe, 500 grams of mince, an onion, a carrot, an egg, 50 grams of breadcrumbs, 190 grams of passata and a couple of tomatoes for the topping.

Mix the mince, diced carrot, diced onion, beaten egg and 5 tbsp of passata in a bowl with seasoning, I used sage, thyme, salt and pepper. The recipe called for 4 tbsp of worcester sauce but I used Brown Sauce

Transfer to a loaf tin, cover with the remaining passata and sliced tomatoes.

Bake for 50 minutes @ 200C.

The only things I would change would be to sweat the carrots and onions a little before adding them to the mix, the carrots were still quite crunchy after cooking. I would also line the tin with parchment paper to make it easier to remove the loaf without tipping it out on the tomato topping.

I had it with cous-cous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

That looks really good!

I have a similar meatloaf recipe from an American friend, using sage and onion stuffing mix in place of breadcrumbs and leaving out the carrots, that could save you faffing about with parchment paper.

Arrange your tomatoes and passata (or in my recipe, brown sugar and ketchup) on the bottom of the pan, place your loaf on top. Then you can upend it onto a plate and the sauce will run down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night I made Honey-ec's buttermilk chicken from the cooking Club again, it's a regular in our house now. We had it with chunky chips and coleslaw - once again I forgot to take a photo!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I pan-fried a chicken breast last night and ate it with a few potato croquettes I found in the freezer. To glam it up a little, I de-glazed the frying pan with chicken stock, reduced it with crushed garlic and fresh thyme, added some creme fraiche and made a nice creamy sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Homemade fish burger with oven-roasted wedges. A bottle of Howling Gale ale was a very welcome accompaniment.

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=14567

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Spaghetti Bolognese for us tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Stuffed some pork shoulder and put it in the slowcooker this morning on a bed of lentils. Then stuck it in the oven to crisp up while I mixed some kale & lemon juice through the lentils. Served the lentils with toasted pine nuts and the pork German style with a blob of hot mustard.

cda6a98d-e1c4-4948-9c9c-797d4f1ebb73_zps11c3af73.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Got a new steamer, so excited! Steamed king prawns and cod done in garlic, ginger, chilli, cherry tomatoes, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, Thai seven spice, nam plah and soy sauce. Served with steamed pak choi and noodles

2l919jk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Carrots, 1-2 chicken breast fillets and corn on the cob:P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Homemade pizza with prawns, cherry tomatoes and rocket. Really yummy, but I think I'll try incorporating some garlic the next time (outside of the tomato sauce).

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Saturday night was a big pot of chilli goodness, followed by blueberry cheesecake

71FDCC55AAB54DC59480509E5644A888-0000353053-0003157612-00500L-A6F937814DBE4D518B4A6DC3230B2C07.jpg

DC4A3624BFF8444E9AC146DB4811DCBC-0000353053-0003157613-00500L-99E0BAA1AECA409B9B93DC19C10CE442.jpg

Sunday dinner then was takeaway, and tonights dinner was a simple and impromptu yet surprisingly satisfying spaghetti with chorizo-pepper-tomato sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Spaghetti Bolognese for us tonight.

This is the dinner that takes me back to my childhood, my Mams Dolmio bolognaise, I don't know how she did it but I can't recreate it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

trackguy wrote: »
    It seems I've got to post a recipe :rolleyes:

I used 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. I seasoned them with salt & pepper and roasted them for 30 minutes in a 200 degree oven.

I then added them to a stock pot and covered with water. I added some peppercorns, thyme and rosemary and brought up to a simmer. I left to slowly bubble away for about 75 minutes.

I removed the thighs from the liquid, discarded the skin, pulled the tender meat from the bones and set it aside.

Next I heat some oil and butter over a medium-high heat. I fried a chopped onion, 5 large chopped chestnut mushrooms, a chopped clove of garlic and some more fresh thyme. When the mushrooms had given up their liquid and begun to fry again I splashed in a small glass of white wine (It was all I allowed add).

When this had sizzled for a minute or two I added about 250ml of the stock I poached the thighs in. I added a simple roux of butter & flour to thicken the gravy to my preferred consistency. I removed the pan from the heat and added some chopped parsl and some seasoning.

I used some ready rolled puff pastry which I rolled a little more to fit my pie dish. I put the chicken mixture in the pie dish and covered with the pastry. I brushed over some egg wash and into the oven it went, at 200 degrees until the top was crisp and golden.

oVup4u6l.jpg

10 noms / 10

Guill wrote: »
    10 noms / 10

Full marks for pastry chicken as well. So many, otherwise 10 noms/ 10, pies lose marks for lacking a pastry identifier.

Guill wrote: »

10 noms / 10

That looks seriously tasty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

hardCopy wrote: »
    Last night I made meatloaf.

I was wary of trying this due to years of American sitcom gags about dry meatloaf but it turned out really nice and moist.

It's a very easy recipe, 500 grams of mince, an onion, a carrot, an egg, 50 grams of breadcrumbs, 190 grams of passata and a couple of tomatoes for the topping.

Mix the mince, diced carrot, diced onion, beaten egg and 5 tbsp of passata in a bowl with seasoning, I used sage, thyme, salt and pepper. The recipe called for 4 tbsp of worcester sauce but I used Brown Sauce

Transfer to a loaf tin, cover with the remaining passata and sliced tomatoes.

Bake for 50 minutes @ 200C.

The only things I would change would be to sweat the carrots and onions a little before adding them to the mix, the carrots were still quite crunchy after cooking. I would also line the tin with parchment paper to make it easier to remove the loaf without tipping it out on the tomato topping.

I had it with cous-cous.

You, my dear, had me drooling last night with that juicy looking piece of meatloaf!:rolleyes: I like the idea of tomatoes on top, unfortunately himself isn't a fan of tomatoes in solid form.
    I haven't made one for awhile now and I ran off to the butcher first thing this morning for some mince. It's in the oven as we speak.
    Rather than cooking them in a tin, I mould the mixture into a loaf, on to a wire rack lined with pierced foil, over a tray -- this way the fat will drip down and you'll get a crusty meatloaf all around.

• Advertisement

Cajun Sausage, Beer and Bean Stew

picture.php?albumid=1851&pictureid=14587

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Crab cakes, fat chips and some dipping sauces. Never made crab cakes before and was very very happy how these turned out. Empty plates now!

crabcakesFeb2013_zps9362a509.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Chianti braised lamb shanks. Nom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Chicken and mushroom pancakes.

240835.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Savoury pancakes, with smoked salmon

2827963BE90A4478BCA4971358153C0D-0000353053-0003160199-00500L-913F5E68283A43468A73CDD3460CED2E.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Too many pancakes

Broccoli, smoked salmon, furikake & soy sauce. To save room for fiesta del pancakes that shall be kicking off shortly

79f35ec6-9ee5-452a-b4c6-7f202086bee7_zpsa4267996.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

tmc86 wrote: »
    Cooked another meal on Saturday night for the lads.

Appetiser - Mini Prawn & Chive cakes with a lemon, garlic and chive dipping yoghurt

Starter - Spiced veg samosas (potato, carrrot, onion, mushroom, peas, garlic, cumin, paprika, hot sauce, curry powder) with a curried yoghurt dipping sauce

Main - Mint Lamb meatball hotdogs with a mint yoghurt sauce served with sweet potato chips and aguava dipping sauce.

Dessert - Peanut butter chocolate cheesecake served with blueberries and hot chocolate sauce (I'll be on a fast this week after this!)

Can I be one of the lads? I'll tape my boobs down and everything. :(:P

Can I be one of the lads? I'll tape my boobs down and everything. :(:P

Everyone is welcome, boob tape or not!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

tmc86, can I have your recipe for the prawn and chive cakes?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement