Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

tmc86 wrote: »
    Everyone is welcome, boob tape or not!
    Great! See you Sat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭sdp

Faith wrote: »
    tmc86, can I have your recipe for the prawn and chive cakes?

plus 1 for recipe please :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Some pancake pics

Vanilla Ice Cream and berry compote. Chocolate buttons and marshmallows.

240893.jpg

We also had lemon & sugar and butter & maple syrup.

Then of course we ran out of batter and had to finish off the chocolate, marshmallows and ice cream anyway because they had to be gone before Lent began.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Faith wrote: »
    tmc86, can I have your recipe for the prawn and chive cakes?

They were originally meant to be mini crab cakes but they didn't have any crabmeat at the supermarket so I bought prawns.

Ingredients
    I used a packet of shell fish de la mer prawns (approx 250g)
    150g of breadcrumbs or 3 slices of bread if making yourself
    a chopped handful of Chives (scallions can also be used)
    4 tblsp Mayonnaise (I used natural yoghurt as a healthier alternative)
    1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
    2 lightly beaten eggs
    S&P to taste

I finely chopped the chives and prawns and mixed them with the natural yoghurt. I then added the worcestershire sauce and S&P and once this was mixed, I stirred in the beaten eggs.

I left the breadcrumbs until last as it is easier to jusge the consistency that you want as you can always add more breadcrumbs. Once this is all combined you want to be left with quite a firm ball of the mixture.

Now its simply just a case of using a normal desert spoon to judge the size of the cakes that you want to make. Roll these out in your hands and place on some greaseproof paper until you're ready to cook them.

Using a very hot non stick pan lightly sprayed with veg oil you cook them for 2-3 minutes each side.

For the dipping sauce, I prepped it earlier and left it in the fridge for an hour to chill. Combined finely chopped garlic, a handful of chives, 4-5 tbsp of natural yoghurt and lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Fillet steak, perfectly medium rare (thank you, meat thermometer), broccoli with parmesan, and spinach & courgette cooked in garlic butter.

steakandgreensfeb2013_zpsd2c12606.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Wholewheat spaghetti with chicken, chestnut mushroom, garlic, red pepper, baby spinach, sundried tomato pesto and parmesan. Tragically my enjoyment was somewhat ruined by the discovery of a small grey slug in the spinach leaves before I added them, meaning I had to interrupt my meal constantly inspect each small grey piece of mushroom in case Mr Slug wasn't travelling solo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tom Yum soup (paste from a jar:o) with tiger prawns, Chinese leaves, ginger, garlic, rice noodles, bean sprouts, spring onion green and coriander.
    Tasty.

dsc02180cb.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

241119.jpg

Valentine's Steak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The night that it was .......

A starter of scallops in the shell in a white wine sauce, topped with mashed potato and Parmesan cheese with breadcrumbs.

Main was Gambas (giant prawns) fried in butter and olive oil, lots of garlic, chilli flakes and paprika, finished with lots of lemon juice and parsley. Served with green beans in butter and garlic and homemade bread rolls.

Desert was a M&S-bought treacle, salted caramel and dark chocolate in a glass.

All washed down with loads of Proscecco and my wife bought me a 10 year tawny port to finish.

Wife has rolled off to bed, I've just finished the washing up and enjoying another glass of port while typing this. Excellent evening had by all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Tom Yum soup (paste from a jar:o) with tiger prawns, Chinese leaves, ginger, garlic, rice noodles, bean sprouts, spring onion green and coriander.
    Tasty.

That looks absolutely gorgeous and is one of my favourite soups. Why the embarrassment at the jar paste, though? You even added a few more ingredients of your own to personalise it. I don't have a problem with Thai/Indian/Indonesian jar pastes and have no shame in using them. They're much cheaper than buying a whole bunch of fresh ingredients that you're not going to use up and often contain harder to get ingredients like fresh galangal and other things that I can't spell. I don't equate jarred curry pastes with jarred curry sauces.

For content tonight we had medium rare steaks, cauliflower and homemade gnocchi, all served with generous ladles of stilton sauce and a bottle of Piper Heidseck that was a housewarming gift. I was too hungry to take a pic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

hardCopy wrote: »
    Valentine's Steak

It's even kinda in the shape of a heart. Kewl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Steak, wedges and a whiskey sauce.

241151.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Fab meals in here of late.
    Chicken stir fry last night.

13F8A025-4C99-49F8-A156-B920262FAB2E-2959-0000035A169B3416_zps83751a38.jpg

Why the embarrassment at the jar paste, though?

Ah I was being a bit tongue in cheek really. Kind of making fun of myself as I can be a bit of a pedant who mostly insists on making everything from scratch even if there is little benefit in it. I do really like that Tom Yum paste, though - it's Madam Wong brand.

I'm out of Tom Yam paste right now. I love it because I love being able to whip a tasty, nutritious soup in minutes.

Tonight I whipped up a tasty nutritious soup in minutes using left overs. 2 chicken breast boiled in stock, then removed and shredded. Whilst my partner shredded the chicken I threw a sliced onion into the pot, sliced and added the end of a bunch of celery, shaved a few carrots in there, topped and tailed some green beans into it, handful of frozen peas, a couple of sheets of noodles, a dash of tabasco and a great big glug of soy sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Two nights ago we had pork strips fried up with potatoes, peppers and courgette, served with some creme fraiche

391F2F7C74334C12B459E96D9891D060-0000353053-0003163755-00500L-DA08D0133E6C4ED991264EB664FA1821.jpg

And tonight it was a lamb mince and macaroni bake

336AAF6786DD4955AF13DE591FEE748D-0000353053-0003163753-00500L-93536E94CB6A429991C961BA140BA3BA.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I had a burger made with 100% beef (I witnessed the mincing!) with some red onion, cumin, chili powder, garlic, wholegrain mustard, worcestershire sauce salt & pepper. Burgers done on a grill pan after a brushing with olive oil. Ballymaloe relish instead of ketchup. It really hit the spot.
    Chips are deep fat fried real chips. Inferior oven chips need not apply!

97C7480F-FC28-49F1-A45D-DB3D15FBAB85-374-0000002191D02B40.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

last night had a T-bone steak, home made chips, fried duck egg, corn on the cob and pepper sauce.

I was given an unidentified joint of wild venison (reckon it was some part of the leg). I wasn't too sure what to do with it. I was afraid if I fast roasted it, it might be like shoe leather so I pot roasted it for just over 2 and a half hours on a bed of root veg and red wine with loads of garlic and herbs. The end result was rather dry but very tender and flavoursome. I served it with the veg, sautéed sweet heart cabbage, mashed spuds, pickled gherkins, Dijon mustard, fresh blueberries and gravy made from the cooking liquid blended with some of the veg (didn't make for a very attractive looking gravy but tasted good. If doing again, I'd leave the gravy thin).

DSC02182.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

What fantastic food on here lately !
    I've been slacking a tad and been in Ireland for a week (in our new house). There is nothing to cook with in the house as yet, so we had dinner at friends' and a couple of times pub grub.

Anyway, the dinners we had before we left.

A mix of sauteed veg and a veggie burger. Saying it like that doesn't conjure up culinary delights, but it was tasty enough for one empty stomach.
    2s1ncjn.jpg

Can't remember what this was supposed to be, except for the cauliflower and brocolli mash.
    2aj8ap1.jpg

Prawns, fennel & orange salad with courgette fritters
    6sw55s.jpg

Meatballs made from beef & lamb (no horse), creamy mixed mushroom sauce and rice.
    2zh0bvs.jpg

A chilli made with chicken thighs
    23k41eq.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

And from today it is a race against the clock to empty the freezer. Can't move house with a full freezer - not accross the sea you can't. 2 more months !!

Undefined curry with beetroot croquettes (that I made 1.5 yr ago :o )
    2rh4pzm.jpg

It worked well, because the croquettes had garam massala in them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

20130217_195742_zps84e39544.jpg

Really simple, but really delicious. Turbot fillets with a butter sauce, mash potatoes and fried savoy cabbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

We were away for the weekend and on Friday we ate in Vina Mara in Galway.

For starter I had the Fish cakes, they were amazing, it was the first time I'd had fish cakes and I would definitely have them again.

My boyfriend had the red pepper and chickpea cakes, they were nice too, I wasn't overly keen on them but then I don't like the taste/flavour of peppers anyway.

For main course we both had the steak and chips, and it was cooked to perfection, it was beautiful.

For dessert we shared the Profiteroles filled with cream that had a delicious butterscotch sauce.

Then yesterday for lunch we went to Artisan, I was very disappointed with the food/atmosphere/staff/service so definitely won't be returning.

I had the salmon salad, which was half a plate of fresh smoked salmon and a few salad leaves and my partner had the guinea fowl which was OK.

Our food was about €20 and tbh it wasn't worth it, it was pretty "meh", we'd have gotten something nicer for the same money or maybe a bit more money but I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for decent food.

We had a snack in the bar in the Imperial hotel and it was delicious, just something light to keep us going until dinner later, I had chicken wings and my partner had a scone, both were lovely and inexpensive.

Can't wait to go back to Galway and visit Vina Mara, that place is amazing.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I made a couple of pork pies using "standing paste" - pastry made with boiling water instead of cold, and kneaded so that it's quite firm, allowing the pastry to support itself while the pie is cooked.

The filling is simply stir-fry pork chopped into small pieces with diced apple, salt, black pepper, and fresh thyme and oregano. Ideally I would have made up a jellied gravy to pour in through the wee hole in the top, but I didn't have the time or the energy!

porkpies1.jpg

porkpies2.jpg

The crust ends up quite doughy, almost bread-like, but I really like it.

Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudding.

A fine excuse to use my carving set
    241533.jpg

241534.jpg

241535.jpg

My first attempt at roasting beef and my first attempt at Yorkshire Puddings, all turned out well except the roast veg didn't really crisp up as I had the oven lower than normal for the beef, ended up trying to blast the veg for an extra 20 minutes while the beef rested.

Beef was nice and pink and the puds rose nicely and crisped up.

Beef was nice and pink and the puds rose nicely and crisped up.

Perfectly cooked beef and risen YPs?
    Anything else can be easily forgiven provided your gravy is fantastic.

(I've not had great success with Yorkshire Pudding):mad:

Perfectly cooked beef and risen YPs?
    Anything else can be easily forgiven provided your gravy is fantastic.

(I've not had great success with Yorkshire Pudding):mad:

Gravy was a non-starter :(

By the time I got the veg cooked off I didn't want to go to the effort of making the gravy while everything else cooled.

We just had ketchup instead :eek:

Gravy was a non-starter :(

By the time I got the veg cooked off I didn't want to go to the effort of making the gravy while everything else cooled.

We just had ketchup instead :eek:

Go to the naughty step!!

Are those Sabatiers? Oooooh so jealous!

• Advertisement

Are those Sabatiers? Oooooh so jealous!

Be careful if buying Sabatier.
    The name wasn't trade marked by any one company so you never really know what you're getting. Some are excellent some not but having the name Sabatier on it means little.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement