Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Mmm, what's going to happen to these?

0cY9fSrl.jpg

How about ciabatta and a rough and ready salad?

AyYYF0vl.jpg

1JgcxKNl.jpg

That'll do pig. That'll do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

I read this thread all the time, love it. Really should start taking some pictures of my own though!

Tonight I made a madras with layered couscous for myself (half lemon & coriander/vegetable). My OH had white rice instead of the couscous. Had a Ceasar salad for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I made this: http://www.cookingcomically.com/?page_id=33

Which turned out fantastic. Served with hot paprika quinoa.

242582.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,135 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yesterday was a rare occasion when I made three courses.

Annascaul white pudding topped with caramelised onions with fennel seeds with a grating of 100% chocolate and a salad garnish of rocket, watercress and wild garlic - all from the garden.

DSC02187.jpg

Poached free range bronze turkey breast; duck fat roast potatoes; roast carrots, parsnips, shallots, butternut squash and garlic; asparagus; poaching liquid gravy, salsa verde.
    I've really taken to serving a salsa verde with roast meat lately - it does add another whole dimention to a sunday roast.

DSC02186.jpg

Plum and apricot trifle with a yoghurt, pistachio topping.

DSC02188.jpg

There was a little bit of cheese for after, too.

That all looks amazing and totally delicious. You are a wonderful cook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Young fella off school today sick and so couldnt get to the shop so raided cupboards, made a lentil vegetable curry just now and i had a sneeky bowl to keep me going. No particular recipe followed...have to say suprisingly tasty.

Such a lovely lovely dinner the beer revolu, I hope it was washed down with something equally as nice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

tmc86 wrote: »
    Last night we had another big meal in!

Appetiser: Franks hot sauce Chicken wings

Starter: black pudding and stewed apple spring rolls with sweet chilli sauce (pre-oven photo)

Main: chilli & beef sausage and chive mash with peas and gravy (winter warmer for the snow outside!)

Dessert: muffins (1 with jam filling, 1 with peanut butter and chocolate) with ice cream, berries and mayple syrup

And to continue a weekend of food we had berry American style pancakes with bacon, mayple syrup and coffee

*tapes down boobs*

gjc wrote: »

Such a lovely lovely dinner the beer revolu, I hope it was washed down with something equally as nice!!

Ah, yeah. A reasonable bottle of Tesco NZ Pinot followed by some good beer.

Herbed, steamed suet pudding filled with turkey, gravy and roast veg. Had frozen peas with it.
    Nice:D

DSC02189.jpg

DSC02190.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Home made Chicken Tikka Masala, absolutely delicious.

006-1.jpg

• Advertisement

No pics, when I'm ravenous I forget to grab the camera!

Last night was an indonesian curry called rendang pandang with chicken and pineapple, suriname rice, pitta and a salad.

Tonight we had beef chilli, spicy chicken, tortillas, tortilla chips, salad, sour cream and home made guacamole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Today I went here (Barna woods)

426438_10151479517391294_1373058342_n.jpg

and picked a load of this (wild garlic)

602032_10151479553811294_29660713_n.jpg

and made a batch of wild garlic pesto.

I managed to "accidentally" take a handful of bulbs while picking the leaves so the pesto was about 10-15 bulbs (they are tiny), a ton of leaves, about 150g of chickpeas and some grated parmasan blitzed with some olive oil and then salt and pepper to taste.

I kept back a big handful of leaves and about 8 bulbs and used them to make dinner tonight.

I call it wild garlic 3-ways.

I finely sliced the bulbs and finely diced half a small white onion and sweated them in a little butter for about 15 minutes, then added in some chickpeas and botoli beans and a spoonful of the pesto and let them all gently simmer and let the flavours marry.

I made some mashed spuds and then took the handful of leaves I'd kept and I wilted them in a little butter and then mixed them through the mashed spuds to make a sort of wild garlic champ.

And I pan fried a chicken breast and just when it was done took a desert spoon full of pesto and added it to the pan and turned the chicken over in it for a few minutes to make a sort of pesto-crust (the parmasan helps it to make a nice thick coating on the chicken).

and the result, despite the picture being blurry as feck (and me leaving the pan alone for 15seconds too long and allowing a little of the cheese to burn) was delicious.

1jt7bp.jpg

And I still have a good sized tub of the pesto left for pastas and the like :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Home made baked beans are doing the rounds here at the moment. A combination of kidney, borlotti, fagioli, cannelloni and navy beans, plus chick peas, in a smooth, slightly spicy, slightly sweet tomato sauce. Make it vegetarian or make it involving some variety of smoked pig. Freezes extremely well and it's very satisfying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We also had a bean feast last night; used a mixture of kidney beans and butter beans to make Mexican style refried beans. Onions, mushrooms, chicken stock and the magic of chipotle powder... delicious. Only took about 15 mins from start to finish as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Home made Chicken Tikka Masala, absolutely delicious.

Have you got a recipe, please? And is that egg fried rice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Madras for dinner today

img0147yf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Have you got a recipe, please? And is that egg fried rice?

The rice is the whole grain Tilda Basmati rice, just boiled.

Yes of course, I doubled this recipe from Gordon Ramsay for the sauce. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oORJ3rdeQTI

Don't worry about chopping too finely because your blending it later, but I find with these dishes you get much better flavour the finer you chop stuff.

I used 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs which I browned in my pan and put aside.
    Fried off 2 onions, then add 2 chopped red chillis, a thumb size piece of ginger and 5 minced cloves of garlic.
    Allow the onions to caramalise then add 1 tsp chilli powder, 2 tsp tumeric, 3 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp curry powder, this will dry out your mixture but thats ok, keep it moving to avoid sticking.
    Add 3 tsp white sugar (this is where the sauce starts to come together) and cook off alittle then add 2 tbl spoons tomato paste and cook off a little more.
    Add 2 regular size tins of tomatos and bring back up to boil.
    Blend until smooth.
    Back to pan and add chicken thighs to cook through for 30mins+, before serving add 3-4 spoons natural yoghurt and mix well then serve with naan and rice.

Hope thats ok, I know my recipe isn't written in the conventional way but thats just how I do it :o
    Madras for dinner today

Curry Addict, just the man, I searched high and low for a tikka masala recipe from you but couldn't find one, how authentic is the above, it turned out fantastic but would like it to be as close to the real thing as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

College was good today. Duck breast cooked sous vide, confit duck leg croquettes, celeriac two ways, spinach purée and some jus. It was delicious!

559940_4303914845905_623140036_n.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Wild Garlic Pesto Chicken Penne for a nice early dinner for Seán today.

Tastes even better than it looks :P

62174_10151481256206294_1994287287_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Curry Addict, just the man, I searched high and low for a tikka masala recipe from you but couldn't find one, how authentic is the above, it turned out fantastic but would like it to be as close to the real thing as possible.

Almost certain there's one on Curry Addicts cooking club restaurant curries-it's a few posts down on page 1. Have been meaning to try it, looks very tasty and can be prepared in advance too. Tried the Gordon Ramsay one before, quick and easy and tasty too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Made a delicious pasta tonight.

Used some smoked paprika, normal paprika, ground ginger, celery salt, pepper, salt, dried parsley, dried basil and dried rosemary. Two sticks celery, 1 carrot, 1 red onion, 4 cloves garlic, one stalk lemon grass, garlic puree, tomato puree and jar of Lloyd Grossman tomato and chilli sauce.

Absolutely delicious and enough left for tomorrow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

I just consumed this beauty.

Beef medallion, oven roasted sweet potato, peppers, courgette and aubergine in coconut oil and spinach.

20130228_171211_zps5de8eae8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Had a soup that was thick enough to serve over couscous...then had second helpings as as soup:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

tonight some spicey chicken pakoras

img0149wo.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I decided to treat myself last night after a long week, so I bought a steak and made some home-made chips, served with sautéed mushrooms and shallots.

steak.jpg

The experience was somewhat marred by bringing it into the living room to eat in front of the TV, only to be met with billowing clouds of smoke from the stove!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Crayfish and chips. Sorry it's a bit blurry.

243366.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Tonight, fish pie:

2H7WXNIl.jpg

Last night, roast chicken thighs, roasted vine cherry tomatoes and spiced couscous:

jmEuweYl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

2lut3dc.jpg

Lamb ragu with onion, garlic, tomatoes and aubergine, salad with cucumber, tomato and feta, plus houmous, stuffed into warm pittas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

All day today I had chicken liver in creamy brandy sauce over hot pasta in my mind, but the butcher only had lambs liver left so I had pan fried liver and sauteed red onion & mushroom over buttery mash instead. Clean plate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

20130303_110512_zps593123a0.jpg

Had a nice brunch of scrambled eggs and home-cured salmon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement