Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Chicken and chorizo rice bake from the cooking club. It was lovely :)

qIsaW7Pl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Oooh I made a nyum concoction this evening. Made a smoked haddock/chorizo/cherry tomatoes/potatoes and white wine one-pot dish. Then served it on a bed of spinach and put a lovely runny poached egg on top. Very happy with it!

afhpfl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

This evening we had
    crispy buttery roast chicken
    garlic, thyme, bacon and white wine sauce,
    rosemary and garlic roasted new potatoes,
    and braised peas.

031_zps3e4d335f.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If it wasn't closed, I would go to the shop and buy a chicken RIGHT NOW to try and make that ^^.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had pork casserole with mash.
    [URL="[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/15rbbx5.jpg[/IMG]"]15rbbx5.jpg[/URL]

• Advertisement

The colour of that mash looks incredible! Is it the lighting, or was there a load of butter in it?

My granny used make the best mash I've ever eaten in my life. She'd put about a stick of butter in it, I think :o. It was that yellow-y colour too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Faith wrote: »
    The colour of that mash looks incredible! Is it the lighting, or was there a load of butter in it?

My granny used make the best mash I've ever eaten in my life. She'd put about a stick of butter in it, I think :o. It was that yellow-y colour too.

It must be the lighting. There's just a little milk in it and I whipped it with a fork to make it fluffy. I try not to put butter in it unless it's for shepherd's pie - then I load it in :)

Could be the type of potato too, some are quite yellow. It looks delicious either way!

Yes Faith, I use roosters and they're quite yellow.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I made Sparks' chili again. It had quite a bit of (raw) chorizo in, which turned out to be pretty spicy, as well as two jalapenos complete with seeds, a couple of dried New Mexicos and about four dried guajillos.

The result was... rather hot. :) But utterly delicious as always.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Carrot and potato "stew" with cabanossi

05AF171523204E8C9D56E4DB87C55950-0000353053-0003191302-00640L-4A52CF9149C34C51959DB405EE7ABDB0.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Tonight's nomnoms.

Beef and Dungarvan Copper Coast Red Ale Stew with a mountain of creamy mash!
    Lovely big chunks of beef, carrots, parsnips, onion, leek, teeeeeeeeny little button mushrooms and a load of garlic cooked in beef stock and beer.

It was only fecking amazing.

mj1iz4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Spaghetti Bolognese with freshly grated Parmesan :o

2cg1v2s.jpg

Tonight we had spinach and ricotta cannelloni, with garlic bread. Yum-oh!

002-1_zps5078fdc4.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

We had a wee gathering last night as a send-off for Her Indoors as she's finishing up her contract here in the US. I made salmon en papillote:

salmon.jpg

It's surrounded by chunks of asparagus, to which I added chopped spring onions and sprinkled chopped dill all over before cooking, and served it with a home-made lemon and dill mayonnaise.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Seaneh wrote: »
    Tonight's nomnoms.

Beef and Dungarvan Copper Coast Red Ale Stew with a mountain of creamy mash!
    Lovely big chunks of beef, carrots, parsnips, onion, leek, teeeeeeeeny little button mushrooms and a load of garlic cooked in beef stock and beer.

It was only fecking amazing.

<mod snip>

Jaysus that looks mouth-watering good.
    I'm fecking starving now and would love a feed like that.
    I'm going to put that picture on my wall too.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭xxxkarenxxx

Havn't posted here in a while been extremely busy changing jobs and moving house! Finally we're settled in and tonight we had herb and panko crusted hake with asparagus and a warm red pepper vinaigrette twas delish! :)

picture.php?albumid=1826&pictureid=14765

Spicy chicken wings

2w5ngbd.jpg

Last night we had Sparks' pulled pork from the Cooking Club. We had it with home made floury baps, salad, coleslaw, potato cubes and ratatouille I'd made a few weeks ago and frozen. It was fab but I didn't take a photo because we had guests and we just got stuck in.

Happy St Paddy's! Made braised lamb shanks in red wine, champ mash and peas. It's the first time I've ever cooked shanks. Lovely meat fell off the bone.

006_zps4ee1a6c7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Happy St Paddy's! Made braised lamb shanks in red wine, champ mash and peas. It's the first time I've ever cooked shanks. Lovely meat fell off the bone.

<mod snip>
    Mmmm that looks really good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Hats off to ya Paddy.

snake Fish pie

F124241D-08E4-4A16-B823-B1224062FEA1-9732-00000C96FC326478_zps4fbe2e51.jpg

Cottage Pie

1j0r49.jpg

qy69uv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mic. V

Yesterday I had Irish ribeye, sauted brown mushrooms with thyme, rucola and cherry tomato salad with a balsamic vinaigrette. And some chips. Quite enjoyable for a pub dinner I must say.

5398139691_1a7e5aaeba_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We had rice noodle pho with rare beef and star anise. It's a Bill Grainger recipe and a total winner. The beef was particularly amazing! Will definitely be making again. Sorry for crap photo, was dying to start eating :)

Ricenoodlepho2_zpsa9dec5b1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

We had rice noodle pho with rare beef and star anise. It's a Bill Grainger recipe and a total winner. The beef was particularly amazing! Will definitely be making again. Sorry for crap photo, was dying to start eating :)

<mod snip>

Mmmmm, the type of food I love, nyum! Do you have the exact recipe for this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Yes - recipe below as requested! It took about 30 mins to make in total so it's very quick.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 tablespoon honey
    2 tablespoons fish sauce
    2 sirloin steaks (we used one fillet steak between us and it was plenty)
    120g rice noodles
    1 litre chicken stock
    5 slices fresh ginger
    1.5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1 cinnamon stick
    3 star anise
    2 teaspoons granulated sugar
    1 tablespoon light flavoured oil (I used a small amount of coconut oil)
    2 boy choy, cut whichever way you like it (I find it stringy in long strips so I cut it slightly smaller)
    1 green chilli, sliced
    Handful thai basil leaves (I didn't have any of these)

Method:

Put the soy sauce, honey, half the fish sauce and a pinch of salt in a shallow dish and stir to combine. Add the steak, cover the dish and leave to marinate for 5 mins.

Meanwhile place the rice noodles in a large bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to soak according to the packet instructions. Drain and refresh under cold running water. (I didn't do the latter part of this - I just cooked them at the end when I knew the steak and broth would be ready)

Place the chicken stock, 500ml water, ginger, lime juice, the remaining fish sauce, cinnamon stock, sugar and star anise in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer 5 - 10 mins.

Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat, add the oil and sear the steaks 2 minutes each side. (I used a fat fillet steak so it took longer to cook than the original recipe suggested. I used a meat thermometer and took the steak off the heat when the internal temp was 130 degrees farenheit - this is perfectly medium rare). Leave the steak to rest on a board for at least 5 mins before slicing.

Divide the noodles and bok choy between serving bowls. Ladle the hot soup into the bowls and top with sliced steak, green chilli slices and basil leaves.

(Note: I found the broth needed a bit more saltiness so we added another wee glug of fish sauce and a dash of soy - it was much better.)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mic. V

Chinese take out for me today unfortunately. Again.

In the past 14 days, I've had take out on 9 of the days :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Sausage and butter bean casserole.

245643.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Keeping the cheap seats warm

s2cy1w.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement