Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

I'm a girl :-P thanks, I might try that one! Your salad is really bright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Roast Lamb, buttery mashed potatoes, broccoli and carrots.

I hurt my back so wanted some comfort food and roast lamb certainly hit the spot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Spinach, goats cheese and almond quiche, first time making this and it was very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Been kind of busy and away some for the last while so haven't been doing that much cooking and even less photographing and posting here.
    Here's a couple from the last week or so:

Shin beef stew with chorizo and chick peas.

6cXbeZ.jpg

Slow roast duck leg with honey,thyme and aged sherry vinegar on puy lentils with carrots.

65jmHc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

the beer revolu could you tell me
    1)where you bought puy lentils (I can only source green lentils) and
    2)how did you cook them (they look delicious)......to me lentils are so bland (but so good for you) that you have to flavour them well .My son doesnt eat meat so we,re a 2 dinner family one dish for us and one for him...drives me nuts sometimes but sure wouldnt have him any other way. Ta!!!

• Advertisement

gjc wrote: »
    the beer revolu could you tell me
    1)where you bought puy lentils (I can only source green lentils) and
    2)how did you cook them (they look delicious)......to me lentils are so bland (but so good for you) that you have to flavour them well .My son doesnt eat meat so we,re a 2 dinner family one dish for us and one for him...drives me nuts sometimes but sure wouldnt have him any other way. Ta!!!

Think I got them in my local health food shop but I've seen them in Tesco too.

Yes they do need a lot of added flavour.
    I start with frying some onion , smoked bacon, celery and carrot (all finely diced) in a pot in some olive oil or butter. Add a good bit of chopped garlic and fry that for a minute or so then add a few chopped tomatoes. Throw in your lentils that have been soaking for an hour or so a good glug of red wine and some stock (I use homemade reduced chicken stock that I have in the freezer for sauces but a knorr stock pot would do fine, chicken or veg), a bay leaf and a good sprig of fresh thyme and simmer until the lentils are cooked. Season with some salt and pepper and a dash of Worcester sauce and a drop of nice vinegar if it needs it. A knob of butter before serving will make them glossy, if that's your thing.

Sorry no measurements.
    Obviously the bacon isn't veg friendly but neither is the Worcester sauce so maybe sub with some soy sauce and use mushrooms instead of bacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Sounds fab, TBR, I'll defo be trying that! Gjc, I've definitely seen puy lentils in my tesco.

Heading away for the weekend so knocked up a Leftover Soup of whatever lurked in the fridge. I slow roasted cherry tomatoes and garlic in the oven to add at the end while I got on with the rest of the soup. To a base of caramelised leeks, I added buckwheat, spinach, forestiere mushrooms, artichoke hearts, peas and passata. Flavoured with chilli, ginger, peppercorns, pepper and smoked paprika, it was a lovely mix of sweet and spicy, with a slight oiliness coming through from the artichokes. Served with roasted crispy greens.

Had these bad boys in the fridge...

5DV2uz.jpg

so I cooked them rare on the gas BBQ/grill and served them with sautéed potatoes charred spring onions and romanesco sauce (first time making this and not my last time!).

8cPguC.jpg

seafood pie

The first pic is taken straight from the cookery book the 2nd and 3rd pics are my own

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Shepherd's Pie-served with mash on the side because I hadn't time to grill it for crispiness.

I bake the mince mixture for half an hour and this really intensifies the flavour.

It looks like loads of mince in this picture, but it wasn't that much at all! Think the zoom's gone funny on my camera.

280qwkn.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Danii86

Homemade thai style fish cakes with lime and chilli mayo/yogurt dressing served with a salad of rocket, sundried tomatoes and butternut squash with a lime and ginger vinagrette.

Rack of Lamb, broccoli, buttery mashed potatoes and gravy of some sort for us tonight.

I've been feeling miserable and wanted comfort food, and lamb always hits the spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hungry1985

oww ,i love all this food in here,but i love eating rice too.show me some rice picture:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

hungry1985 wrote: »
    oww ,i love all this food in here,but i love eating rice too.show me some rice picture:-)

Scroll back a few pages -there'll be rice somewhere.

hungry1985 wrote: »

About 10 posts back I have a red raw rice served with a stew.

Fried and grilled chicken thighs with more Romanesco sauce, fried polenta cake, garlicy sweetheart cabbage and sherry jus (not pictured).

789Q9n.jpg

Tonight is going to be wild rabbit casserole with some fierce fancy mushrooms mrs beer picked up at the city market in Cork yesterday.

Don't know what I'll have for dinner tonight .... Chocolate fondue maybe:D

Did the rabbit as planned:
    Casseroled the legs in beer, bacon and mustard and pan fried the saddles.
    Had the fancy mushrooms pan fried and scattered over the top, pearl barley and wild garlic pesto.
    The flavour you get from rabbit stock is just phenomenal!

5pCt2B.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Slow cooked Moroccan lamb, with couscous and home-made flatbread:

14e82a4e-d643-4952-ab4e-056a4f66e7bc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

My lovely gf went and got me the biggest steak off the butcher counter and served it up with perfect roasties (crunchy on the outside fluffy on the inside) and her ratatouille, it was delicious and huge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I had Roast Goose, Roast Potatoes, carrots and peas with Gravy.

The Goose was from Lidi. I was very impressed with it. It was a nice size for four people and had very little fat for a goose. Very good flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

We had slow-roast shoulder of lamb on Sunday. Today I diced the leftover lamb, sautéed it with onions and bacon, mixed with sautéed potatoes and topped with a fried egg: a simple traditional Danish dish called biksemad. Which means, of course, that we had to drink øl og snaps (beer and akvavit) with it. :)

biksemad.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 53,854 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I made the carbonara from the quick and easy recipe thread, it was nice. Think I used too much egg though and I over-seasoned. Attempt #2 tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Had lamb shank, stout and mushroom stew cooked in the slow cooker on Sunday and reheated with dumplings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

oscarBravo wrote: »
    We had slow-roast shoulder of lamb on Sunday. Today I diced the leftover lamb, sautéed it with onions and bacon, mixed with sautéed potatoes and topped with a fried egg: a simple traditional Danish dish called biksemad. Which means, of course, that we had to drink øl og snaps (beer and akvavit) with it. :)

I'd very much love this right now for breakfast

Boyfriend made roast beer chicken, broccoli and potatoes for dinner yesterday, in my sick state all I could manage to eat was some chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I was in the mood for salad, the plan was to make chicken ceaser salad.

Instead i made a salad of, lettuce, chicken, spicy german salami and a handful of peanuts. I had no dressing with it but the pepper flavour off the salami and the saltyness of the nuts were enough to do flavour it. :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

mackerel3.jpg

Mackerel fillets on mash with a shallot, mustard and butter sauce.

• Administrators Posts: 53,854 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

awec wrote: »
    I made the carbonara from the quick and easy recipe thread, it was nice. Think I used too much egg though and I over-seasoned. Attempt #2 tomorrow.
    Nailed it tonight, will be making it again! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

We had a homely ham and turkey pie (Easter Sunday leftovers), with herby baby roast potatoes, and a tomato salad with a dressing of olive oil, balsamic, fresh garlic, sea-salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar to round it out. Dessert was spiced treacle carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭trashcan

oscarBravo wrote: »

That's very like a dish I've had in Austria, called Grózl (I think, spelling may be wrong.)It's made with Pork rather than Lamb. Very tasty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement