Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Pissaladiere, which is a traditional tart from the South of France with caramelised onions, anchovies and black olives. I also added some sun dried tomatoes. Served with a green salad and garlic vinagrette. Yum.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

trashcan wrote: »
    That's very like a dish I've had in Austria, called Grózl (I think, spelling may be wrong.)It's made with Pork rather than Lamb. Very tasty.

We usually make biksemad with leftover beef or lamb; if we have pork we make nasi goreng - but I think that's just habit with us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Tonights rather early dinner:
    Tortilla de Patatas con Cebolla, Chorizo y ajo.

63479_10151547593606294_6772751_n.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

That looks delicious seaneah! Do you have a recipe for it?

That looks delicious seaneah! Do you have a recipe for it?

Erm, I don't have an exact recipe but I'll give ya the gist of it.

I poured about 300ml of rapeseed oil into a nonstick pan and turned it to high to heat up. Wile that heated I thinly sliced 2 medium sized onions and sliced about 350g of baby spuds into about 2mm wide rounds.

When the oil is good and hot, add your onion and potato and turn the head down to medium/meium high and cook for about 10 minutes until soft but not coloured. a little browning around the edges is fine but you're not trying to fry them here, just cook without colour and keep them soft. It's important that the oil is very hot before you add your spuds and onion as they will take a lot of heat out of it and bring it down to the medium heat you want to cook them at!

While all that's going on, I cracked 5 eggs into a large mixing bowl and beat them with a fork. when the spuds and onions were ready I poured them into a sieve over another large glass bowl, and drained off the oil and then added them, still hot, into the bowl of beaten eggs, stirred everything through, seasoned with salt and pepper and left them to sit for 5ish minutes.

While they were sitting I finely minced some garlic and roughly diced some chorizo (about 80g I reckon) and added them to the pan I'd cooked the spuds and onion in, at a medium heat. When the chorizo had cooked a bit and given off some of it's fat and the garlic had softened a bit I added them to the spud, onion and egg mix, stirred them through and added everything back to the pan, leveled it all out and let it cook at medium/medium low on one side for 10ish minutes (or until it's mostly set, but not fully cooked through) and then flipped it by turning it onto a plate and then sliding it back into the pan.
    Once your turn it, you have to "tuck" the sides down under the bottom with a spatula to get the rounded look to the top and bottom, I like to shake the pan a bit while doing this as it helps round it out quicker.

Only takes about 2 minutes on the other side and you're done.

Turn it out onto a warmed plate and you're good to go.

like I said, there really is no recipe, it's all trial and error.

• Advertisement

Marco explains it better than me, more than likely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Seaneh wrote: »

I poured about 300ml of rapeseed oil into a nonstick pan and turned it to high to heat up. Wile that heated I thinly sliced 2 medium sized onions and sliced about 350g of baby spuds into about 2mm wide rounds.

300ml oil? Is this a typo?

300ml oil? Is this a typo?

Nope. You drain it all off at the end, incase you missed that bit.

You need enough so that they cook evenly.

You can be a pansy and boil the spuds and but it doesn't taste as good and they get soggy and crap.

Today's dinner:
    Echo's of yesterday :P

Roast carrot, parsnip, onion and baby spuds. A simple leaf salad with olive oil and balsamic dressing and a cold wedge of yesterday's Tortilla.

Nomnoms.

2quhso3.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 53,854 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Seaneh how many servings did you get from that tortilla you posted the recipe of?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It seems to be the trendy thing to have at the moment - I also had tortilla tonight :). Served with a tomato and avocado salad, and some sweet red pepper relish. It was delish!

xJuvJjrl.jpg

(Had to resist the urge to have it on crusty bread with mayonnaise - so tasty, but SO FATTENING!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Can a mod rename this the Spanish tortilla thread?

20130404_223741_zps6fa43760.jpg

Thanks for the recipe Seaneh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Tonight we had sausages with onions and gravy, mashed potato and peas.
    It was really nice, especially on a cold day like today.

20sd7gx.jpg

awec wrote: »
    Seaneh how many servings did you get from that tortilla you posted the recipe of?
    without sides, 2 dinner sized portions. with sides and some salad, 5 lunch sized portions. It all depends on how greedy you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not the prettiest of meals but very, very tasty.
    Spaghetti with wild garlic pesto and chargrilled aubergine, red pepper and courgette.

53kVzE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

GIANT FRIDAY BURGER.

Beef mince, pork mince, onion, garlic, chipotle powder, sweet paprika, mustard.

We served with tomato, lettuce, mayo, ketchup, pickled red cabbage, gherkins and cheddar.

BurgerApril2013_zpsbd48348f.jpg

Honestly, I had eggs and potatoes to use up :o:o

BBQ chicken thighs; tortilla de patatas; chargrilled courgette, aubergine, red pepper; sauce romanesco.

6zay93.jpg

Tonight's dinner, I decided to move on from eggs and use an actual chicken (well, th breasts of one).

Thai Green Chicken Curry with wholegrain rice.

2wr1yk4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Honestly, I had eggs and potatoes to use up :o:o

Oh my... Look at that tortilla!

Too lazy to cook so it was chipper today
    Spice burger and chips

zswmxe.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

fussyonion wrote: »
    Too lazy to cook so it was chipper today
    Spice burger and chips

I like your table cloth (been meaning to tell you that in previous post). I have a thing for elephants :)

Tonight we're having homemade burgers with homemade chippies.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I like your table cloth (been meaning to tell you that in previous post). I have a thing for elephants :)

Tonight we're having homemade burgers with homemade chippies.

Ha, thanks! I picked it up in London a few years back :)

Yum, you're making home made burgers-love them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Homemade beef stew for us tonight :) Delicious :)

Roast Pheasant.

The crown was roast fast for 40 mins with streaky bacon and thyme.

79Rndf.jpg

The legs I slow roasted for about 3 1/2 hours, covered, with thyme, rosemary and garlic.

6ZwSL9.jpg

And served it all with roast potatoes, carrots, shallots, garlic; pan fried shiitake mushrooms and a gravy made from the back of the bird with rhubarb and ginger jam.

78g7Tb.jpg

It was the first time, I felt, I got the cooking of a pheasant right - it wasn't dry at all although, if doing again, I'd cook the crown for 5 minutes less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Shepards Pie for us tonight. Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Standard Sunday dinner of leftovers & anything in the fridge or vegetable bowl that looks like it's on its last legs fried up and served with any scraps of cheese knocking about. Also some (lots) chipotle salsa I made last week that tasted a bit meh at first and is now awesome and hot and tasty. Doesn't look pretty (being mainly brown & red) but is delightful
    d2201cd6-05a8-4b76-9434-a6647ca40c65_zpsc468a009.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Roast chicken, along with courgettes, spinach and onion in a creamy hot pepper sauce.

It was awesome! :D

chickenm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭M1XR

Dam student living is a pain in the @$$ ;)
    Iberico chorizo, fuet, manchego, good bread and warfsteiner. today is a good day

XwsekB1l.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

venison-pie.jpg

Venison pie, with bacon, chestnut mushrooms and whole baby red onions, encased top and bottom in a home-made rough-puff pastry.

I have no idea what cut of venison went into it. I got several bags of frozen venison bits from a colleague a while back, and this is the first of it I've cooked. It was meltingly tender when slow-cooked for the pie filling; I've got about half of it left over in a single piece and I'm going to try cooking it like a fillet steak tonight to see how it comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bread and tomato gratin as published by Hugh Fernley-Whittingstal

2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to trickle
    1 small onion, peeled and chopped
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
    2 tins plum tomatoes
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 bay leaf (optional)
    Pinch of sugar
    About 200g slightly stale, open-textured white bread
    150g mozzarella
    Freshly grated parmesan

Didn't have parmesan so used er cheddar! Very tasty.

347fprd.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement