Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Slow roast spiced pork and crispy crackling with wet polenta and ginger sweetheart cabbage.

88E7MN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Venison pie, with bacon, chestnut mushrooms and whole baby red onions, encased top and bottom in a home-made rough-puff pastry.

Holy moly! That looks amazing. Both pastry and filling look really neat, almost unreal in a good way. ;) Do you mind sharing the recipe in random thread please?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Holy moly! That looks amazing. Both pastry and filling look really neat, almost unreal in a good way. ;) Do you mind sharing the recipe in random thread please?

I didn't work from a recipe; just winged it. Briefly: I fried off the baby onions, dumped them in the slow cooker; chopped an onion, sweated it off, into the slow cooker, ditto the mushrooms and pancetta. I tossed the venison pieces in seasoned flour, fried it off and in with the rest. I deglazed the pan with red wine, added to the slow cooker along with half the bottle of red, a good glug of port, chicken stock, a few sprigs of thyme, crushed juniper berries, a generous dollop of redcurrant jelly and a bouquet garni. Cooked it on high for about four hours, then separated out the solids (discarding the thyme twigs and the bouquet) and thickened the liquid with a roux until it was quite thick (check seasoning at this point). Add the meat'n'veg back in and set aside to cool.

The pastry is Gordon Ramsay's rough puff recipe. It works best if you can let it rest in the fridge until it's quite cold. I lined a buttered dish with a little more than half of it, filled with the cool meat mixture, topped off with the remainder, brushed with milk (or egg wash, I couldn't be bothered) and baked at 200 for 25-30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

fussyonion wrote: »
    Too lazy to cook so it was chipper today
    Spice burger and chips

Did a lovely lamb shanks dinner Monday night followed by more lamb last night for a yummy Irish Stew. Have been sitting here thinking what would I conjure up tonight and you know what, I do think it will be the chipper afterall. Thankyou fussyonion!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Loire wrote: »
    Did a lovely lamb shanks dinner Monday night followed by more lamb last night for a yummy Irish Stew. Have been sitting here thinking what would I conjure up tonight and you know what, I do think it will be the chipper afterall. Thankyou fussyonion!!

Hehe, I love home cooking and make almost everything from scratch but some days you just want a bag of chips lashed in salt and vinegar!
    Enjoy your feed tonight ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

fussyonion wrote: »
    Hehe, I love home cooking and make almost everything from scratch but some days you just want a bag of chips lashed in salt and vinegar!
    Enjoy your feed tonight ;)

Actually going to resist the urge and be strong. I make this easy pasta (Jamie Oliver) dish quite regularly and it's really nice (I use ordinary fussilli pasta)

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1378583

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cottage pie type thing

21ca0si.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Tonight dinner, should have had king size vol-u-vonts but cant seem to get them anywhere so had to settle for small ones. God it was good, could have eaten more but the savages in the house milled them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Lamb meatball stew made with O'Hara's Leann Follain Stout.

20130408195603.jpg

With Cinnamon buns for desert!

20130409190257.jpg

A very brown dinner last night.
    Pork heart that I marinated overnight in sweet sherry vinegar, salt pepper and thyme, then skewered and BBQd. Served with puy lentils.
    We weren't all that gone on the heart - very dense and offaly. I ate both mine but one happy cat got one of Mrs Beer's (oddly, I cant stand liver and Mrs Beer loves it but of the two of us, I seemed to prefer the heart). If I had one again, I think it would go into a stew along with other meat as it would give fantastic flavour.
    The lentils were effing gorgeous!

4Vu746.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

I really enjoyed this one. the wife made Indonesian fishballs with babi pangang sauce.

img0182nbu.jpg

I really enjoyed this one. the wife made Indonesian fishballs with babi pangang sauce.

Brave woman making anything vaguely curryish for Curry Addict!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

That looks delicious! I love Indonesian food. But, just a heads up, "babi" means pork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

That looks delicious! I love Indonesian food. But, just a heads up, "babi" means pork.

true babi does mean pork and the sauce "babi pangang" is mainly served with pork. I though it odd she would would use it with these fish balls as we normally have it with pork and was not really looking forward to it tbh. And then i tasted it with the fishballs yam yam :pac:

dear beer revolu, I recently asked where to get puy lentils I have never tasted them I got responses(thanks to those who gave me feedback) and Im trying to track them down, but my query is....are they a different taste to bog standard green lentils??? in your opinion. My son is a veggie and raves about chickpeas (even though I dont feel the love) but I would like to get him some.
    question 2...do they come tinned or dry

gjc wrote: »
    dear beer revolu, I recently asked where to get puy lentils I have never tasted them I got responses(thanks to those who gave me feedback) and Im trying to track them down, but my query is....are they a different taste to bog standard green lentils??? in your opinion. My son is a veggie and raves about chickpeas (even though I dont feel the love) but I would like to get him some.
    question 2...do they come tinned or dry
    I don't find them remarkably different to green lentils - slightly different colour, size and texture. You can get them dried, tinned or sometimes in pouches (cooked).

How could anyone not like chickpeas?!

I don't find them remarkably different to green lentils - slightly different colour, size and texture. You can get them dried, tinned or sometimes in pouches (cooked).

Lets not get into a fight ...I bow to your recipes:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Roast chicken breast with bacon wrap, roast potatoes garnished with sliced garlic and the peas! (don't forget peas!)

2d0jbtk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

mike65 wrote: »
    (don't forget peas!)

I always forget the peas! Because they're so quick to do that by the time it's time to do them I'm getting plates/serving stuff ready then am half way through eating my dinner before I remember I was intending on having them :/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Tonight we had bangers & mash with onion gravy.

84E54805-39CE-43B5-A7CB-F22C07DE7F29-3410-00000480F288236B_zps33ed2792.jpg

Cor blimey, it was bloody marvellous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we are having lamb chops, and with those we'll have sauteed/fried potatoes and other vegs.

Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Some has described chickpeas' skin like toe blisters :D
    I do love them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Loopy wrote: »
    Tonight we had bangers & mash with onion gravy.

Cor blimey, it was bloody marvellous.

Have you got a good onion gravy recipe? Mines always really bland. :(

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Have you got a good onion gravy recipe? Mines always really bland. :(

Caramelise the onions, and season season season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Tonight we are having lamb chops, and with those we'll have sauteed/fried potatoes and other vegs.

Looking forward to it.

The spuds/vegs turned out absolutely rotten so we had lamb chops on their own and have a pizza on the way.

It was the worst 'stir fry' I have ever made, its only fit for the bin. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Caramelise the onions, and season season season.

Aye and I added a glug of red wine and beef stock & boiled, then reduced it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I made a warm spicy noodle salad with beef.

I made some 'slaw' with finely shredded carrots, cabbage & scallions. Boiled a slab of noodles & drained well. Then flash-fried a couple of minute steaks with ginger, chilli & garlic & some thai seven-spice.

When the steak was done I sliced it very thinly & then combined all of the above with finely-sliced basil leaves & the juice of a lime & a sprinkle of sugar & soy.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

Chicken breast marinated with curry powder, zest and juice of a lime, crushed garlic cloves and sesame oil. Marinate for a good while, grilled, then popped into a fresh bread roll from Superquinn with lettuce, tomato, onion, cucumber shavings and sweet chilli sauce. Served with more salad and cous cous. Delicious!

The last of Sunday's slow roast pork in Aldi Mediterranean wraps with sliced spicy pickled onions, a smear of rhubarb and ginger jam and apple and ginger coleslaw.

5XK8dG.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I made a warm spicy noodle salad with beef.

I made some 'slaw' with finely shredded carrots, cabbage & scallions. Boiled a slab of noodles & drained well. Then flash-fried a couple of minute steaks with ginger, chilli & garlic & some thai seven-spice.

When the steak was done I sliced it very thinly & then combined all of the above with finely-sliced basil leaves & the juice of a lime & a sprinkle of sugar & soy.

:pac: NYUMMERS - that sounds sublime! Can we please campaign for a tasty smiley for this forum and have a little happy chap with a knife and fork maybe? We need one! Did you use Thai basil or ordinary basil in this?

I made chicken chasseur last night and it was really yum. Making my famed spaggy bol this evening (done with lots of smoked pancetta and chorizo...bit of a meat fest but a tasty one nonetheless!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement