Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Pizza, garlic bread and salad.
    It was lovely..I think I enjoyed the salad the most!

20hxaad.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

The last of Sunday's slow roast pork in Aldi Mediterranean wraps with sliced spicy pickled onions, a smear of rhubarb and ginger jam and apple and ginger coleslaw.

You make food sound so sexy..... The most I'd come up with is ..... Pork wraps

Mod Note: Seriously, do not quote pictures. It's even in the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Hot smoked salmon with a creme fraiche, lemon and garlic sauce - it was delicious!

gjc wrote: »
    You make food sound so sexy..... The most I'd come up with is ..... Pork wraps

Mod Note: Seriously, do not quote pictures. It's even in the thread title.

Very sorry .... My excuse is I know how to quote without pics on my computer but I don't know how to do it on my iPhone..... Lesson is will try and stick to computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Homemade lasagne, first time I have made this myself, very tasty indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Merkin wrote: »
    :pac: NYUMMERS - that sounds sublime! Can we please campaign for a tasty smiley for this forum and have a little happy chap with a knife and fork maybe? We need one! Did you use Thai basil or ordinary basil in this?

I made chicken chasseur last night and it was really yum. Making my famed spaggy bol this evening (done with lots of smoked pancetta and chorizo...bit of a meat fest but a tasty one nonetheless!)

Thanks. :o

It was ordinary basil. Tis hard to find authentic Asian foods here in Bern - apart from Indian stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

First time posting in this thread! long time lurker etc etc! Really getting into cooking lately, starting off simple with stir frys, and curries etc.

[IMG][/img]image_zps9a811072.jpg

Chicken Korma with coconut, chili and kidney bean rice. Chicken Korma recipe is from The Hairy Bikers, hairy dieters cook book and the rice is from a Lorraine Pascale book :)

Fried rice with prawns, peas and thinly sliced carrots (along with onion, garlic, ginger and soy sauce). Yum!

welcome gillapeno!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Well if that's me dinner I've had it.

CF5DFE88-B9AF-41D8-8ECC-532E2E6F63E1-5998-000007E47CF47CC9_zpsc627c7c0.jpg

It was rather nice though.

Medium/rare sirloin steak, sweet spuds, parsnips and salad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Spaghetti Bolognese for us tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Pulled pork.

249317.jpg

Had only €2 in my purse yesterday, set off for aldi and bought Tomato & mascarpone stir through pasta sauce (€1.49) a bag of pasta (49c). found two peppers and an onion in fridge. Ive never had this sauce before and I was actually surprised at how good it was. Fed a family of 5. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Really quick and simple dinner last night:
    Cabbage stirfried with chorizo and onion with a squeeze of lemon served with sautéed potatoes.

7PLJb7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Bought a couple of turkey legs for a fiver at the butchers.

Put them on a bed of chopped onions, carrots and celery in a roasting tin and drizzled with olive oil, salt/pepper then covered with lid (or tin foil).

Slow-roasted for 2.5 hours at 140C.

Removed legs and covered with tin foil.

The remaining meat juice (loads) and roasted chopped vegetables were blitzed in a liquidiser with a couple of spoons of bistro to make a superb gravy.

Removed meat from the bones and served with roasties and veg.

Very different Sunday roast but absolutely delicious. Loads leftover as well - making turkey, bacon and cranberry shortcrust pies later. :)

Bought a couple of turkey legs for a fiver at the butchers.
    :)

Sounds lovely.
    If you can be arsed boning the legs, they're really good stuffed and rolled. One leg would feed 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Home made lasagne, with garlic bread and salad.
    (Forgot to take a pic of the salad!)
    Delicious!

11w3382.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Nasi Goreng, made with leftover pork from yesterday's roast.

nasi-goreng.jpg

That's the end of a two week stint where I'm in charge of dinner; anything that I post in the next week will have been cooked by Her Indoors. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

On Saturday, I did a lamb tagine from The Hairy Dieters cookbook. It was fab.

However, the large amount of chickpeas & onions lead to a bit of a 'flatulence issue' in the Billy household later in the evening - much to the amusement of the Kids. :)

(thb - It is an absolutely fab cookbook & I would highly recommend it - even for non-dieters.)

Another super simple dinner last night:
    Fried/grilled chicken thighs, spinach, Japanese rice, beer and cider jus.
    I love this way of cooking chicken!

7TqQVp.jpg

• Advertisement

Pork chop tonight, Im not a big lover of them but it was satisfying, and they were nice and tender (for a change!!). Its a tight month, chops and stuffing were in the freezer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

KC Peaches did a terrible thing to me the other day. Went in for a sandwich and they had this tray bake of potatoes with broccoli & ham in a cream, garlic & cheese sauce. If my mam had invented potato dauphinois and been allowed to dispense with all fiddly elegant aspects of it in return for hearty chunks of things with added meat and sure why not put the veggies in there as well, save you dirtying a pot, it would have looked like this. Incredible savoury amazing smell but, alack & alas, I was going to the library. I'm not sure what happens to you when you die if you've been the kind of person who eats hot dinners in the library but it probably isn't something nice.

So I tried to recreate it at home on Saturday and, while it didn't work out quite like I had hoped and requires a second attempt, it was tasty and cheesey and good.

c9ee2a0d-c969-4b6a-900d-fbfbed2d0527_zps4d1cd4f7.jpg

Sunday was roast chicken with roast carrots & potatoes, stuffing & peas. Stuffing wasn't the best (pre stuffed chicken) but the rest was tasty!

3b8a9005-7ba5-438a-abd6-0d105334bdc0_zps5d2b5429.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I marinated seabass yesterday in chilli, ginger, garlic, red onion, lemon juice, lime juice, and sesame and rapeseed oils. I pan-fried the fish, and sautéed broccoli, spinach and radishes with lots of ginger and garlic. The dish was dressed with lime juice. The result was gorgeous: light and flavoursome and filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made meatloaf tonight. Thought I'd have leftover for lunch tomorrow but there's none left!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Slow roast shoulder of lamb Parmentier with salad.

lamb-parmentier.jpg

Chicken Korma. I make this quite regularly and usually I use chicken breasts. Yesterday, though, I used chicken thighs that I cooked in the oven, I removed all the meat and put that in the curry. It made all the difference, there is so much more flavour in the thighs! And I have enough for my lunch today as well! :)

Spaghetti with wild garlic pesto and grilled vegetables.

8iS3HX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Home made lasagne, with garlic bread and salad.
    (Forgot to take a pic of the salad!)
    Delicious!

Made homemade lasaghna for the first time, as in making the white sauce. While the white sauce itself didn't have much taste, it added such a luscious feel to the lasaghna. Probably cheaper than buying as well.

I put beans cooked the night before into it:P

Dinner just over. Havent had this in years!!! Was the very first dish I had in a chinese (chicken version perhaps).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Tonight I had pan fried salmon, with caramelised onion and gruyere tart I made for lunch earlier. Now putting my feet up to a glass of wine. Happy Tuesday all :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement