Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

cajun-prawn-pasta.jpg

Cajun prawn pasta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I had beef stew, it was yummy. But I forgot to take a pic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Vegatable gumbo:

249731.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Spaghetti carbonara with garlic bread tonight. Such lovely comfort food!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chicken and ham pie with carrots and new potatoes :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Home made 'baked beans' with chipotles & bacon & an egg on some toast & cheese. In an effort to get the top of the egg cooked (watery egg white is bad, bad stuff) I burnt the bottom of the beans. Good thing I'm a connossieur of Burnt Crunchy Bits

8df1093a-f644-4802-8e75-5feb7ded13de_zps6f6c34c8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

MarkMc wrote: »
    I had beef stew, it was yummy. But I forgot to take a pic

Then it was definitely yummy! :D Having beef stew myself tomorrow.
    (watery egg white is bad, bad stuff)

Agreed.

What kind of beans did you use?

What kind of beans did you use?

A random selection of pink beans (not sure what type) that I had sitting in a jar in my press & needed to use up and a tin of mixed beans from Aldi when it didn't look bean-y enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭maximo31

First time poster here. Have really enjoyed looking at the dishes from all the contributers.
    Made homemade pizzas last night using the pizza flour from Aldi. Came out lovely but probably overloaded the bases with ingredients!
    One for me and one for the lady!
    Had a small rockett salad and some garlic and chilli flavoured fries on the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I made Quiche Lorraine from this recipe last night: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/7933/classic-quiche-lorraine.aspx

I make some changes when I use this recipe, I only use half the cream (if I use the full amount, it rises too high over the edge of my dish!), I use lardons instead of rashers (can't really get rashers here) and I didn't put the salt in the egg mix as I find the lardons are already very salty.

Lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

chicken and vegetable herbed suet pudding. Pitit pois.

8fHSgu.jpg

6r28iF.jpg

It collapsed again:mad:
    I went and bought a proper pudding bowl as I thought the cylindrical shape of the bowl I was using was causing it to collapse but no joy. I also made the filling slightly stiffer thinking that might help. Maybe it should be steamed a bit longer - I did 2 hours. Ah, well it tasted great and made Mrs Beer very happy!

Ooh, I have suet. Got a recipe for when I'm cooking again next week?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Ooh, I have suet. Got a recipe for when I'm cooking again next week?

It's just
    8oz self raising flour or 8oz plain flour and 2 teaspoons of baking powder
    4 oz suet grated or finely chopped
    1 teaspoon salt
    Cold water.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and add enough cold water to form a soft, flexible dough. Knead lightly on a floured surface. Refrigerate until needed.

I've taken to adding fresh chopped herbs to the pastry - looks and tastes great! (put in with the dry ingredients)

I find that completely freezing the suet makes it much easier to handle. I chop it up finely with a knife.

When you've lined and filled your pudding you need to cover it and steam for 2 - 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Last nights dinner! a mix of any veg i could find with a bit of leftover chicken and rice! and a bit of soy sauce and chili flakes. :) you may notice in future posts nearly everything i cook has some form of chill/herb/garlic or spices!

image_zps9cd933fe.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I had one of these:

aeXzU8v.jpg

Not wholesome, but so very tasty, cheap and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭maximo31

Tonights dinner was roasted vegetables with marinated pork chops.
    I used apple juice instead of orange juice in the marinade.
    I made a dodgy gravy out of the marinade!! Doesnt look great but it was well tasty.
    Got the idea for the marinade from this website :
    http://www.food.com/recipe/mike-ditkas-official-tailgaters-grilled-pork-chops-80416

chicken-lasagne.jpg

Chicken cacciatore lasagna.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Ooh can you share this recipe in the Random Recipe thread please?
    Looks yummy.

I really, really want one of your remaining slices please? Or if not an entire slice can I come around and pick at the crispy cheese corners?

fussyonion wrote: »
    Ooh can you share this recipe in the Random Recipe thread please?
    Looks yummy.

Her Indoors made it based on this recipe, with some modifications. Instead of minced chicken she used chicken thighs cut into small pieces, and added some tomato paste, brown mushrooms, chili flakes, red pepper and dried oregano. She also added fresh basil leaves in the layers and stirred a Knorr chicken "stock pot" into the meat sauce as it cooked.

It was rather delicious...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Last night I cooked Trish Deseine's Normandy Chicken Casserole. I didn't have calvados and I substituted a bottle of Miller for dry cider, but nonetheless it was yummy. I added some garlic too and served with new, mashed potatoes and green beans.

http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2011/0923/444-normandy-chicken-casserole/

Sausage casserole. It was a bit like Cassoulet but less greasy and with more veg (white beans, celery, carrots and potatoes). Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Always lurking here making myself hungry, but first time posting :)

Last night I made Patatas Bravas from the Cooking Club Week 12 thread. I also threw together some meatballs (just simple ones with lots of seasoning, herbs and chilli flakes - no onions or garlic since I put loads into the sauce), which I cooked in the tomato sauce. Left the sauce chunky cos I adore chorizo. Looks like a big old gloopy mess on the plate but I assure you, it was delicious!

UHIAe54.jpg

Loire wrote: »
    Last night I cooked Trish Deseine's Normandy Chicken Casserole. I didn't have calvados and I substituted a bottle of Miller for dry cider, but nonetheless it was yummy. I added some garlic too and served with new, mashed potatoes and green beans.

Sounds lovely but it did make me laugh. :)The very things that make the dish Normandy Chicken are the two you left out - Calvados and cider. Bit like saying "I made a beef and stout casserole but I didn't have any stout so I used wine instead"

Last night we had a slightly spiced Flemish beef carbonnade with carrots, cabbage and mash. Twas lick the plate clean tasty!:P

5hZRYS.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Tonights noms.

Pan fried Hake, steamed broccoli and mash with parsley sauce.

Simple, filling and tasty.

1z63zep.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

We've arrived in our new home in Ireland on Tuesday. Exhausted !
    Today, however I managed to serve our first home cooked meal. Steak off the grill - couldn't choose between striploin and sirloin and was hungry so I bought 2 of each. Served with grilled tomatoes and mushrooms, roast vegetables and one humongous sweet potato.

qn3790.jpg

Enjoyed with this view. What's not to like ?

n1yz4i.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

I was trying to think of something to make for dinner tonight and this dish a hungarian friend made me once a couple of years ago just popped into my head - its called Hortobágyi palacsinta. It's basically crepes stuffed with minced pork meat and a tomato and paprika based sauce. I had it with mixed salad with beetroot, baby tomatoes and a homemade wholegrain mustard vinaigrette. Apologies for pic quality, camera on my phone is crap.. as you can see! However the dish was lovely and plently of leftovers for tomorrow :)

8i8vHR6.jpg?1AI5LVJM.jpg?1

2wyORff.jpg?1

KzZg8Kf.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I made boeuf bourginon (can't spell it lol) and it was really yummy!

2e51mw1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Last night we had slow cooker beans with smoked sausages and potato wedges. It was delicious. Tonight we're having chickpea and cauliflower curry with spiced rice.

• Advertisement

I made prawn curry with coconut milk last night from a recipe I found in a magazine. It looked lovely but was very disappointing, couldn't taste the prawns at all, completely drowned out by the curry and coconut sauce.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement