Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

We've arrived in our new home in Ireland on Tuesday. Exhausted !

Welcome back :)

I've been busy lately and haven't posted in a while but here's a few recent dishes that I've had.

Chilli con carne with brown rice
    B95D740C-DADC-49CE-8E63-6E04EAA1E7DC-9995-00000E083FD9AD12_zps537fb3fb.jpg

Chilli sausages and mash with onion gravy and yorkshire puddings
    F0345BBD-9784-4C1C-8B83-8DCF14E580F8-9995-00000E08506C75AF_zpsd4bb8ad7.jpg

Homemade chicken curry with brown rice and natural yoghurt

340FF9C6-2303-4B81-ADFB-98C59A48020E-9995-00000E0857737A7D_zps94a38284.jpg

More of an evening snack - Avocados with leftover chilli
    2F21B139-EFB0-45A5-8000-AC95286BE12F-9995-00000E086D9819D6_zps8a648334.jpg

Chilli & Lime beef with pak choi and noodles (prep photo, the beef was marinated with lime juice, fresh chilli, soy sauce and some seasoning - forgot to take a photo of the cooked dish since it was eaten quickly!)
    65C79FE2-2145-4681-8885-D83AEF4791D5-9995-00000E0848B2C9F7_zps56adc3d9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gratin with bread, tomatoes, onion, garlic, mozzarella, cheddar and flavourings

posing

tomatoandbreadgratin1.jpg

hardcore shot! :p

tomatoandbreadgratin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Chilli (from a Hairy Bikers recipe) and jalapeno cornbread muffins:

0681d4ee-9c98-46bd-beb5-474149b02692.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Some really delicious looking meals in here! I'll get my camera out and start sharing again tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Lean mince burger with a portabello mushroom bun, cheese, relish, sweet potato chips and spinach. Nom.

58832_10151559049353139_1500491749_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

923404_4544611743177_372996147_n.jpg

Pan-fried salmon, spiced pepper couscous and some beurre blanc. It came out pretty well, I was happy with it.

64151_4544870909656_1702343014_n.jpg

I also had my first go at cakepops. They were a lot easier than I thought, although granted I went for pretty simple decorations. I'm absolutely stuffed now!

doctorwhogirl - that's a genus idea for a healthy burger bun! I'm going to have to make that tomorrow!

pigwidgeon - lovely presentation on both! Intrigued by the cake pops, would you mind sharing your recipe?!

tmc86 wrote: »

pigwidgeon - lovely presentation on both! Intrigued by the cake pops, would you mind sharing your recipe?!

Thanks. For the cake pops I just used the normal chocolate cupcake recipe I make, the one from the hummingbird bakery then made some vanilla buttercream. When the cake was made I made it into crumbs and mixed in the buttercream, then shaped them into little balls, put them on lollypop sticks and left them in the fridge to firm up a bit for about an hour. Then I just melted some white chocolate and covered them in it, tapped off the excess and put on some sprinkles. I'm not sure if that's the correct way of doing them anyway but they taste good!

Thanks thats great, it sounds clear enough i'm going to give it a shot tomorrow hopefully! Where did you pick up the lollipop sticks?

• Advertisement

tmc86 wrote: »
    Thanks thats great, it sounds clear enough i'm going to give it a shot tomorrow hopefully! Where did you pick up the lollipop sticks?

Yeah i was surprised how easy they actually were, definitely going to make them again and work out other designs. I got them in decobake in town but I'd say you'd probably get them in any art and craft shop easily enough!

Great I've passed it a few times will stop in tomorrow! I'm thinking of making them with some whey protein and some dark chocolate and maybe use some nuts for the topping. If all goes well ill post a pic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A chicken goujon, chip, cheese & chipotle mayo sandwich. Accompanied by tequila & coke. It's been a 'crispy, unnaturally yellow, breadcrumbed food on top of potatoes, smothered in cheese wrapped in more bread & washed down with whatever booze is lying around' sort of a day.

4168029f-dd99-49be-aad3-d0230d5c4575_zpsf4ab100a.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Bacon and Cabbage with mashed spuds and a Cheesy Mustard and Parsley Sauce.
    Went with a dutch white cabbage, no Idea why, savoy would have been so much nice but it was a bloody good meal all the same!

You may notice, from the mess around the place, that this is a photo of after I went back for seconds :P

ndly09.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

i prefer mashed spuds and kale myself.. but sure, ill never say no to a good oul bacon and cabbage ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Last night's dinner view

2e5qwlv.jpg

And this was dinner : Mashed potatoes, carrots and celeriac with leg of lamb and gravy.

mvotnk.jpg

bread and butter pudding with bananas and black current jam.:D

34hyjno.jpg

Still feels a bit like being on holiday. The container with most of our belongings is yet to arrive. Luckily the house came furnished, so we make do with what we have. It'll be a fine day when our very own furniture is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

On Thursday Mrs Beer did a pork mince stirfry with tofu, bean sprouts and Chinese leaves. We had that with lo mai gai that we had in the freezer from Chinese New Year.

4Nfyuy.jpg

Last night we had what was left over with rice and chicken wings - without hot sauce :eek::eek::eek:. Just plain with salt and pepper. Much as I like buffalo wings, these were very good for a change.

6nA5dH.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

We had pork medallions in a mushroom, cream and Stilton sauce, served with baby potatoes and a pickled cucumber salad - no photo, I'm afraid, but here's two of dessert to make up for it:

pear-tart-1.jpg

pear-tart-2.jpg

Pear and almond tart with a sweet Danish-style shortcrust pastry and a hint of ginger, served with crème fraîche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

made an improvised butter chicken with wild rice for dins. was really yummy!

*steals some of oscars pie for dessert*

yjbFCtu.jpg?2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Good God, Oscar Bravo that Pear and Almond tart looks savage!!

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Good God, Oscar Bravo that Pear and Almond tart looks savage!!
    I can only take credit for initially making the pastry; Her Indoors actually rolled it out and made the tart. It's fantastic pastry, it has sugar and vanilla in it so it's sweet and very short, and the ginger goes with the pear like cinnamon does with apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Dinner just out of the oven, resting. Cottage pie spiced up with cumin and coriander, topped with buttery mash potatoes and sweet potatoes. Serving it with petit pois.

5eHYiuvl.jpg

Beef and paprika sausages, lemon and mint cous cous, a vegetable curry, yoghurt with mint and cucumber, red onion marmalade. Not pictured was the rosemary and sea salt focaccia that needed a few extra minutes in the oven.

Thanks to doctorwhogirl I went to make a similar dish.

Chilli and lime turkey burgers with sun dried tomato pesto topping in a portobello mushroom bun. Sweet potato and asparagus

A398043E-F192-4E94-9D4C-31AEC341A6D9-13336-000010E3EECDA7A9_zps6a728707.jpg

Coriander and fennel slow-roast pork belly served with hasselback potatoes, a spicy salsa verde and a rocket salad.

pork-belly.jpg

That's the boss's week of cooking done; I'm back at the stove from tomorrow. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

^^^ I love making hasselback potatoes ^^^

They are so good with any sort of sauce and the cutting required appeals to my love of slicing things neatly :D

Whoa. I am so jealous of your dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Last nights dinner! Cajun chicken from the hairy bikers hairy dieters cookbook! was yum ! also had a chive and yoghurt dip which is not pictured! had some potato wedges cooked with smoked paprika and some corn and beans to go with it! image_zps6130f77e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

One pot wonder last night.
    Onions, celery, carrots, garlic, lentils and chorizo, sauteed. Added sausages, tomatoes and a dash of my chili ketchup (made it right before the move from my habaneros I still had in the freezer) and peppers.
    Served with sodabread and butter.

x22zq9.jpg

We'll be having the leftovers tonight with sweet potatoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

A couple of pics from two weeks ago. Our last dinner on our road trip around Australia.

Our Amuse Bouche was a slice of Croc with peach and lemon myrtle.
    250455.jpg

For starters we had an Aussie game platter with bush fruit, including Croc, Emu, Coffeed Emu, Kangaroo, Quandongs and Pepperberry with Damper Bread.
    250452.jpg

For mains, herself had Emu Fillet
    250453.jpg

While I had Kangaroo Fillet
    250454.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement