Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Hard copy ...... Any chance of the recipe !!!!!:D:D:D ;) I might have to go a long way with my shopping list.....witchedy grubs didn't make the side????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Gillapino, any chance of the Cajun chicken recipe. On a diet myself and looking to spruce up chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I was treated this weekend by some pals here in Bern.

On Friday we had homemade sushi courtesy of my Russian mate Sasha (the Sushi Master). :)
    250507.png

Saturday, I made myself a Thai yellow curry with beef. (Sorry - no pics.)

Then yesterday, it was a Ukrainian lunch of borscht with salad & salo (slices of pork fat) served with chunks of raw garlic.
    250508.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Why did you have to go and post a picture of delicious sushi! sitting here in work salivating :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Just devoured this. My first attempt at dhal. So tasty and cheap to make. Definitely be having it again! Served with plain roasted chicken.

165450_10151563710703139_1484368794_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Just devoured this. My first attempt at dhal. So tasty and cheap to make. Definitely be having it again! Served with plain roasted chicken.

What recipe did you use? I love dhal and am surrounded by lentils.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

doctorwhogirl, that looks fab. i have made it a few times and it's just being ok, once it had very little taste and another time it turned out a bit dry.

any tips or advice for me please.

Daisies wrote: »
    What recipe did you use? I love dhal and am surrounded by lentils.

I just sort of made it up from a few I looked up online! This was for one person!
    Ingredients wise I used
    1tsp coconut oil
    1stp harissa paste
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp coriander (ground)
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    1/2 tsp garam marala
    1 large clove garlic
    1/2 onion
    1/2 veg stock cube
    50g red split lentils
    about 100g cauliflower (made the florets small)
    around 50g baby leaf spinach

I heated the coconut oil in a med saucepan over a medium heat and added the chopped onion and crushed garlic clove and cooked until slightly soft. Added the dry spices and cooked for a couple of minutes, added the harissa and cooked for a couple of minutes.

Rinsed the lentils then added them to the pan with about 200-250mls of the veg stock. Allowed the to come to a boil, them simmered for about 10mins.

added the cauliflower and simmered for about another ten. Added the spinach at the last minute until wilted. Was so yum. Mushy texture which I loved!

Tonight we had a little starter of crab and Marie Rose sauce on brown scones (none of which I made!)
    63263A6D-FEB1-4BD7-9EBB-9711503A87A4-14476-00001239007AB948_zpsa0029026.jpg

Then I made a sausage and black pudding pizza with mozzarella and chilli tomato sauce on a coconut pizza crust - we had a few peri peri chicken wings on the side!

37953C36-0CFD-4B6C-A571-2184A4005323-14485-00001239A8050A41_zps7503e590.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That pizza topping looks absolutely savage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

gjc wrote: »
    Hard copy ...... Any chance of the recipe !!!!!:D:D:D ;) I might have to go a long way with my shopping list.....witchedy grubs didn't make the side????

I did half expect to see witchety grub on the menu and was almost disappointed not to see it.

Hairy Bikers Sweet and Sour chicken with cauliflower rice

936427_10151565255468139_327700281_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chicken with couscous, chicken stock, onion and chick peas

Why couscous? Cous I bought some! :p

I made a paste for the chicken using olive oil for the base with ground cumin, ginger, and English mustard

Its damned filling!

2z71r10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I had some left-over farfalle...

Butterflied open a chicken-breast, rubbed with tex-mex spice mix, and some lime juice. Seared off on the grill and set aside to rest.

Quartered some cherry tomatoes, coarsely grated some courgette, and mixed these into the pasta. Heated this in the microwave until the pasta was hot once more, but the veg only partially cooked.

Thinly sliced the chicken, then mixed it through the pasta along with some smoked chilli flakes and a spoon of (again leftover) roasted tomato and red pepper salsa.

Grated over some parmesan, then promptly forgot to take a photo before wolfing the whole lot down.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Pulled pork in fluffy white buns, with lettuce, cherry tomatoes and mayonnaise. Amazing! I couldn't stop picking at the leftovers that are supposed to be being saved for my pulled pork and black pudding pizza tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

A very rough and ready chicken and chorizo paella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Pea salad with feta and hot potato with a new dressing for me. Cumin and lemon. Really good with the feta. Will be repeating.

Inspired by this recipe, but I skipped the dill, and put in the potatoes instead of radish.
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pea-Salad-with-Radishes-and-Feta-Cheese-237895

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made Simon Rimmer's of C4 Sunday Brunch's Pulled Lamb Vindaloo, with soft bap, along with his Bombay potatoes side. Been meaning to make these for months.
    The lamb's alright, lacking a certain something, I can't pin point it.
    The potatoes aren't that great. I love my spices but these are just too overpowering and lack of balance.

e27104c73c7eb83ef39a505929afe85f_zpsdc57fbc2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Spaghetti Carbonara with...den den dennnnn... peas. I know the addition of peas makes Italian people cry but the only Italian person I know around here is the lady who runs the chipper and having had to make Warly Burgers I'm sure her heart & spirit are broken past the point where peas in carbonara bothers her. I love peas.

56ed185d-4b3b-4a65-a436-f3b099a19fe6_zps1bb2920b.jpg

Unfortunately this was very meh & dry (story of my life at dinnertime these days) I think putting the egg yolks in when the pot was on the head scrambled them past the point of lovely unctuous sort-of-sauce and into breakfast food.

[WAY too many peas in here, the steam from the pot fogged up my glasses & I accidentally tipped the whole bag & 2 1 cent coins in)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭maximo31

After an evening of Punchestown punting a quick omelette with ham , mushroom and cheese and a bit of salad greens on the side was tonights dinner washed down with a big mug of tea!! Hit the spot so it did!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

the only Italian person I know around here is the lady who runs the chipper and having had to make Warly Burgers I'm sure her heart & spirit are broken past the point where peas in carbonara bothers her. I love peas.

[WAY too many peas in here, the steam from the pot fogged up my glasses & I accidentally tipped the whole bag & 2 1 cent coins in)

You've made my evening, I howled reading these :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Spaghetti Carbonara with...den den dennnnn... peas. I know the addition of peas makes Italian people cry but the only Italian person I know around here is the lady who runs the chipper and having had to make Warly Burgers I'm sure her heart & spirit are broken past the point where peas in carbonara bothers her. I love peas.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Had this a few nights ago chicken continental . Last night had the kiddies menu all that was in the house was fish fingers beans and fried potatoes. Looking forward to my dinner tonight don't know what I'm having... I fancy something really tasty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

As mentioned, we had a pizza with leftover pulled pork and Clonakilty black pudding. It was delicious! Looked manky though, so I didn't take a picture ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

tmc86 wrote: »
    coconut pizza crust

say what now?

Have a recipe for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Seaneh wrote: »
    say what now?

Have a recipe for that?

+1 :)

Seaneh wrote: »
    say what now?

Have a recipe for that?

Ingredients

- 3 eggs
    - 70g Coconut Flour
    -1/2 tsp baking soda
    - 1 tsp garlic powder (or one clove)
    - 1 tsp oregeno
    - 1 tsp chilli flakes

( I will say that once mine was cooked it was still a bit sweet from the coconut so next time I'd add in larger quantities of the spices i.e 1.5-2tsp)

Method
    - Pre heat oven to 200C
    - Mix the ingredients together in a bowl and you should end up with something that looks a lot like a fluffy butter & sugar combo
    - line a pizza tray with parchment paper and spread out the mixture (as below)
    - pop in the oven for 15 mins until the top has crispened/gone brown
    - take out and leave cool for 10 minutes before peeling off the parchment paper (v.carefully!)
    - flip over so the crispy/brown side is the base and the top with whatever ingredients you fancy
    - put back in the oven until the toppings have cooked and the cheese is bubbly/golden!

499416F3-65AC-4EBB-B7EB-F8588E32C2B5-16499-0000159325C9F2E2_zps0d9d060c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Broccoli and hazelnut pesto with feta on corn pasta. It was delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I was looking forward to doing a really nice Spaghetti Bolognese but the mince beef is gone off :(
    Gonna just stick a pizza in the oven, which won't be as nice.
    I'll post a pic of tomorrow's dinner at some stage tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

a4iixmkl.jpg

Beef and tomato stew with orzo (rice made from pasta) and baked with a parmesan crust, and a greek salad with smoked beef.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement