Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

After a very depressing drive home from Killarney today following a fantastic mini break, I thought a comforting dinner was in order.

I made wholewheat fusilli, pasta sauce with mixed beans, veggie frankfurters, chili and lots of herbs. I served some lightly stir fried pak choy on the side. Fab!

For dessert, I baked some apples. I cored them and put in sultanas, all spice and a small dusting of brown sugar with a lick of butter on top of each one. Served with natural yoghurt.

We were too depressed and hungry to remember to take photos!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

A couple of pints in the sun and home for nachos
    7CEF0EC6-E34A-4EDD-80FF-BD50A0D51A5F-16784-000015DFA7155BF2_zpsfa269f04.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

Tonight we had gambas pil pil - fresh raw prawns cooked in hot oil doused with heaps of garlic, chilli, salt and pepper, with slices of crusty ciabatta on the side for dipping. Salad was a big bag of Italian leaves and a warm dressing of redcurrant jelly melted with balsamic vinegar, with goat's cheese crumbled on top. Really top meal and only took ten minutes to prepare and cook. :)

Tonight we had gambas pil pil - fresh raw prawns cooked in hot oil doused with heaps of garlic, chilli, salt and pepper, with slices of crusty ciabatta on the side for dipping.

I had those last night - went out for tapas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

tmc86 wrote: »
    Ingredients

- 3 eggs
    - 70g Coconut Flour
    -1/2 tsp baking soda
    - 1 tsp garlic powder (or one clove)
    - 1 tsp oregeno
    - 1 tsp chilli flakes

( I will say that once mine was cooked it was still a bit sweet from the coconut so next time I'd add in larger quantities of the spices i.e 1.5-2tsp)

Method
    - Pre heat oven to 200C
    - Mix the ingredients together in a bowl and you should end up with something that looks a lot like a fluffy butter & sugar combo
    - line a pizza tray with parchment paper and spread out the mixture (as below)
    - pop in the oven for 15 mins until the top has crispened/gone brown
    - take out and leave cool for 10 minutes before peeling off the parchment paper (v.carefully!)
    - flip over so the crispy/brown side is the base and the top with whatever ingredients you fancy
    - put back in the oven until the toppings have cooked and the cheese is bubbly/golden!

This may just be my idea of hell. :)

• Advertisement

This may just be my idea of hell. :)

Haha I was a bit wary of how it would turn out but I actually quite liked it, now mine ended up being a bit too sweet but that's easily fixed with more seasoning.

Although pizza is my kryptonite so I wouldn't often make it at home, I'd usually go out for one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had cottage pie last night (with peas, MissF :))
    [URL="[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/1o6stw.jpg[/IMG]"]1o6stw.jpg[/URL]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That looks gorgeous, DB!

We had a beef and red wine slow-cooked stew, served in a giant Yorkshire pud :).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Saturday, Mrs Beer cooked me chicken thighs with stewed peppers wilted pea tops and quinoa.

7yhw3d.jpg

Then on Sunday we had slow roast spiced pork (again) with wet polenta and pak choi.

4YKPsg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sausage with black pudding and tomato, plus green beans (frozen and a bit bland)

1059qao.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

BZZAw3yl.jpg

Baked Bream picked off the carcass with fingers, brown rice, rocket, kalamata olive salsa, turkish flatbread and an olive oil and Jerez vinegar dipping sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Leftover Thai yellow chicken curry with two peshwari naan breads

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had marinated pork chops with ratatouille and potato cubes.

[URL="[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/wt80md.jpg[/IMG]"]wt80md.jpg[/URL]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

Chorizo and sherry, garlic mushrooms, spicy potatoes and an egg.

251160.jpg

Friday night steak
    94B756B7-2DE0-4D06-AAE6-43B4376ACFBF-17706-000016FCE6C60663_zpse2de3ca4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Beef Stroganoff, with boiled rice and a green salad. It was lovely and the nutmeg gave it a lovely kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made Jamie Oliver's Killer Jerk Chicken, but instead of just using chicken breast and trying to cramp the cooking into 30 min, I took my time and roasted a whole spatchcocked chicken. This is pretty yum and I'll definitely make it again and again. Didn't bother any sides, picked on the whole bird between the two of us. Another case of dirty fingers too soon so no time for photos :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Rouille a la seche - a cuttlefish stew with a type of garlic/chilli paste in it that is very traditional in this part of the world (Montpellier/Sete). Cuttlefish diced in a tomato sauce with courgettes. I served it with pasta. Very nice mediterrean dish.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Last night was steamed (actually, simmered then stir-fried then steamed) pork belly served on fresh-baked rolls with a sweet soy-based sauce, cucumber and shallot pickle, julienne spring onion and a blend of crushed peanuts with brown sugar. Delicious.

pork-bao.jpg

Friday we had tempura - sweet potatoes, chestnut and enoki mushrooms, yellow and red peppers, asparagus, prawn and cod. I had to be wheelbarrowed to bed after that lot!

tempura.jpg

Lamb stew in the slow cooker for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

OscarBravo, are you and your missus interested in adopting a 27-year old woman perchance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Makeshift roast chicken dinner.

Chicken breast seasoned with rosemary, salt and pepper, roasted in tinfoil, served with croquette potatoes, mixed stir-frry veg (which I boiled because it's the only veg I'm liking at the moment), Yorkshire Pudding.

313q80j.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladysarastro

Faith wrote: »
    Pulled pork in fluffy white buns, with lettuce, cherry tomatoes and mayonnaise. Amazing! I couldn't stop picking at the leftovers that are supposed to be being saved for my pulled pork and black pudding pizza tomorrow!

Hey what cut of pork did you use? I have no idea what boston butt is but have a slow cooker crying out for pulled pork!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Has been a while that I took photos of my dinner table, but back in action tonight: Braised lamb shank with creamy butternut squash gratin and baby potatoes

E313350141BE4998BC5388051A89E644-0000353053-0003231835-00640L-1BA78AFA09A9455DB936F8C940CBDACC.jpg

Dessert is going to be a rhubarb crumble, which is currently in the oven :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Hey what cut of pork did you use? I have no idea what boston butt is but have a slow cooker crying out for pulled pork!

I used shoulder this time, but I've also used leg very successfully :).

Lamb stew with herb dumplings.

lamb-stew.jpg

ibc, I ran your suggestion by Her Indoors. I think she might have misunderstood my motivation in asking, and now I'm in the doghouse... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Dinner tonight started with a shared plate of jamon, olives, marinaded manchego, pecorino, a red-pepper and smoked paprika dip, and home-made ciabatta.

Main course was a leek, potato and alp-cheese gratin, mashed root veg and slow-roasted boar.

Dessert was (bought) vanilla ice cream with assorted berries.

All washed down with a nice Spanish white, and followed by some nice whiskeys.

Altogether a far cry from seasonal cooking, and the three courses had little to do with each other…but tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Went to Jo'Burger yesterday evening, had the Moletsane (which, how would one approach pronouncing that?) which is peanut/chili sauce & coriander. Burger looks dry but served beautifully medium rare. Not a clue how they're getting away with that, thought the FSAI had cracked right down, but delighted they are. (Might be something to do with how they source their meat I guess)

Star of the show were their homemade pickles though. Lip-crackingly tart and vinegary

ef321f4c-d2e5-45d5-86aa-ad4997d36051_zpsb61255c6.jpg

2c5c7d29-5a15-42c8-86b7-1226b0e3bafc_zpsd07a932c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Saturday was our housewarming party. I only managed a couple of food pics.

These are mini quiche-muffins cooked in prosciutto:
    251473.jpg

These would become rolled up pizza wheels, no after photo unfortunately:
    251471.jpg

After clearing out the fridge on Saturday afternoon to make room for booze Sunday dinner options were sparse and neither of us wanted to go shopping. I made pasta with a handful of penne and some lasagne sheets sliced into really thick tagliatelle, made a sauce with half a carton of passata, caramelised red onion and garlic and sliced some carrot with a vegetable peeler. Garlic bread made from a frozen baguette I found in the freezer, microwave defrosted and covered in garlic powder, grilled and buttered.
    251472.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭maximo31

Bacon and wilted cabbage with new baby potatoes and an overload of parsley sauce!!

• Advertisement

Mmm, I'm a sucker for parsley sauce.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement