Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Lamb stew with herb dumplings.

ibc, I ran your suggestion by Her Indoors. I think she might have misunderstood my motivation in asking, and now I'm in the doghouse... :pac:

That looks, amazing! Any chance of a recipe please?

I (a 20 year old male) will happily move in, to ehm, make it fair overall :pac:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Stew is something I don't generally bother with a recipe for; it's one of those pile-it-in-the-slow-cooker jobs. There's lamb, bacon lardons, onion, garlic, leek, carrot, parsnip, mushrooms and herbs. I fried off the bacon then browned the lamb (tossed in seasoned flour) in the bacon fat, then deglazed the pan with stock. I'd normally top up with beer, but for some reason I just used water yesterday; it still tasted good.

The dumplings are made with 100g of flour (theoretically self-raising but I just added baking powder to plain) mixed with 50g of suet and a couple of tablespoons of water, mixed with chopped fresh herbs, rolled into little balls and popped on top of the stew for the last 20-30 minutes of cooking.

Anyway: the boss is back cooking for this week, so we've kicked off with Greek-style beef patties with tzatziki, lambs lettuce and red onion, served in wholemeal pita with roast new potato wedges on the side. Nom.

greek-beef.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Beef meatballs with butter beans and marinara sauce

4229FBA2-0F82-4C9F-9431-2D48CE8D646A-20305-000019E9AE69E3BA_zps8ea128c1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

Another great dinner here tonight. Sadly no pictures!

Garlicky potato gratin, roasted asparagus with black forest ham and a dressing of olive oil and lemon juice, and pan-fried lamb chops. A taste sensation. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Burger looks dry but served beautifully medium rare. Not a clue how they're getting away with that, thought the FSAI had cracked right down, but delighted they are. (Might be something to do with how they source their meat I guess)

Probably to do with how freshly minced the meat is. If it's used quickly, it's grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

oscarBravo wrote: »

The dumplings are made with 100g of flour (theoretically self-raising but I just added baking powder to plain) mixed with 50g of suet and a couple of tablespoons of water, mixed with chopped fresh herbs, rolled into little balls and popped on top of the stew for the last 20-30 minutes of cooking.
    Actually that's all self-raising is! I can't get self-raising flour easily here so I make my own: 225g/8oz plain flour + 3 level teaspoons of baking powder and bob's your uncle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Went to Jo'Burger yesterday evening, had the Moletsane (which, how would one approach pronouncing that?) which is peanut/chili sauce & coriander. Burger looks dry but served beautifully medium rare. Not a clue how they're getting away with that, thought the FSAI had cracked right down, but delighted they are. (Might be something to do with how they source their meat I guess)

I think it says something on the end of the menu about how ordering meat underdone is at your own risk.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Bengali prawn curry.

prawn-curry.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we drove to the sea and had burgers and chips :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Ah Dizzyblonde, nothing like chips by the sea..they taste better that way! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Had Thai red curry with duck and green beans and jasmine rice
    It was delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I made sukiyaki; Japanese beef stew. It was amazing, but a little too sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Grilled lamb chops.
    Sautéed potatoes.
    First crop of rocket from the garden.
    Grilled tomatoes.
    Marinated tomatoes.

7BX6XC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

oh god that looks devine the beer revolu....mr/mrs beer revolu is one lucky man or woman!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Just myself for dinner tonight so I had a ciabatta roll with sirloin steak, griddled red peppers and mozzarella, all drizzled in hot sauce.... Can barely move off the couch now!

IMAG0336.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Chilli dogs with chilli lamb sausages and cheddar cheese
    52DE941F-6C6A-4450-A01F-2742EE7098B7-21711-00001C28A053DCD7_zps5a6c328c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sort of Spanish-ish omelette, with potatoes, onion, tomatoe, black pudding and 3 and half eggs. Plus the last of some fried potatoes from lidl.

5jwuif.jpg

Had a delicious chilli con carne tonight (sorry no pics, couldn't find my camera)

Made with minced beef, onion, garlic, tinned tomatoes, 100ml beef stock, balsamic vinegar, diced green pepper, 2 teaspoons chilli flakes and kidney beans, served with rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

And it was all going so well til you mentioned the green peppers

connollys wrote: »
    And it was all going so well til you mentioned the green peppers

I like green peppers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

For Mr Fox I made Cola Ham with Maple and Mustard glaze, with buttery buttery mash and braised cabbage.
    I had the leftover braised pulled beef from the other day, in a crusty roll with coleslaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Cully and Sully's chilli con carne with wilted spinach. I was starving post-run and in a rush to watch Masterchef at 9 :o Not bad for convenience food!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I had chili fries with mexican spiced cheddar melted on top.

I am so ashamed; I may have to go to confession and breathe spicy beany cheesy chippy sin all over some poor priest.

I did make the chili from scratch so I think that redeems me a little bit.

:o

Beef, cashew & Sriracha stir-fry:

IMAG0324.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Beef, cashew & Sriracha stir-fry:

Looks tasty.

I'll have to get myself a bottle or two of Sriracha. How much is a bottle?

Fart wrote: »
    Looks tasty.

I looked at your name and the word "bottle" too quick and saw "Fart bottle" :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tdh

Made a couple of things from the wagamama cookbook this week.
    On monday, Chilli Chicken Men
    chilli_men_zpse10043f9.jpg
    and tuesday was Yaki Soba without the prawns
    yaki_soba_zpsa28e9944.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Tonight we went out for dinner and had some really awesome tapas. And some really bad tapas. :(

Stand outs were the best patatas bravas we've ever had, beautifully seared salmon that was like sashimi on the inside with a citrus sauce, saltimbocca which we know is Italian but it was stuffed with pata negra and served with a truffle sauce, and chunks of beautifully roasted Iberico pork.

The let downs were an amuse bouche of vegetable foam, yeah, tomatoes and celery are vegetables but they're not they're not great ones. Extremely overcooked hake in what appeared to be salt sauce. And I wonder if I'm the only person in the world who finds saffron unpalatable? We had gambas in saffron sauce but I really, really dislike saffron. I suspect I have a taste aversion to it the same way some people do with coriander. To me, saffron tastes like the inside of a musty old wardobe that hasn't been opened in 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

And I wonder if I'm the only person in the world who finds saffron unpalatable? We had gambas in saffron sauce but I really, really dislike saffron. I suspect I have a taste aversion to it the same way some people do with coriander. To me, saffron tastes like the inside of a musty old wardobe that hasn't been opened in 30 years.

I hear you, sir/madam. There are very very few things that I dislike, saffron is one. I find it tastes like a rusty old pipe. For recipes that call for saffron, I'd substitute it with turmeric instead.

• Advertisement

Fart wrote: »
    Looks tasty.

I bought a small one in M&S just to try it out, cost about 2-3 euro I think. But you could get bigger/cheaper bottles of it in an Asian supermarket!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement