Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Tonight we went out for dinner and had some really awesome tapas. And some really bad tapas. :(

Stand outs were the best patatas bravas we've ever had, beautifully seared salmon that was like sashimi on the inside with a citrus sauce, saltimbocca which we know is Italian but it was stuffed with pata negra and served with a truffle sauce, and chunks of beautifully roasted Iberico pork.

The let downs were an amuse bouche of vegetable foam, yeah, tomatoes and celery are vegetables but they're not they're not great ones. Extremely overcooked hake in what appeared to be salt sauce. And I wonder if I'm the only person in the world who finds saffron unpalatable? We had gambas in saffron sauce but I really, really dislike saffron. I suspect I have a taste aversion to it the same way some people do with coriander. To me, saffron tastes like the inside of a musty old wardobe that hasn't been opened in 30 years.

I went out for really bad tapas last night :( Pintxo/Porthouse used to be one of my favourite restaurants, but the last few visits have been so disappointing. My favourite dish, patatas bravas, were like those frozen roast potatoes you cook in the oven, with a scabby amount of sauce on top, meatballs that tasted like they came from a tin and a chorizo dish which was way too oily (I know chorizo is naturally oily, but this was just ridiculous, felt very sick afterwards), and the chorizo was soft like the inside of a pork sausage, instead of nice and firm. Chanced dessert and got a ferrero rocher cheesecake, which I'm 90% sure was just one of those bought-in defrosted desserts. Definitely not fresh anyway. I know I should have complained but I didn't want to make a fuss :o Might send an email!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Dinner last night was striploin steaks, spinach cooked in milk and butter, boiled potatoes and pepper sauce. Delicious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Fart wrote: »
    Looks tasty.

I'll have to get myself a bottle or two of Sriracha. How much is a bottle?

about €1.50 in any asian market.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

fussyonion wrote: »
    I like green peppers?

Awful things, I like other peppers but the green are just rotten for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

connollys wrote: »
    Awful things, I like other peppers but the green are just rotten for some reason.

+1 - I love any other colour pepper but just can't stomach the green ones

a0a92677-7894-40ed-aab5-dbc6b53ad026_zps8fa43dd8.jpg

Lasagna and it was delicious!

• Advertisement

Beer roast chicken, spuds, vegs, gravy for us tonight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Ham hock and cabbage casserole with barley. It was delicious and will definitely be made again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

I went out for really bad tapas last night :( Pintxo/Porthouse used to be one of my favourite restaurants, but the last few visits have been so disappointing. My favourite dish, patatas bravas, were like those frozen roast potatoes you cook in the oven, with a scabby amount of sauce on top, meatballs that tasted like they came from a tin and a chorizo dish which was way too oily (I know chorizo is naturally oily, but this was just ridiculous, felt very sick afterwards), and the chorizo was soft like the inside of a pork sausage, instead of nice and firm. Chanced dessert and got a ferrero rocher cheesecake, which I'm 90% sure was just one of those bought-in defrosted desserts. Definitely not fresh anyway. I know I should have complained but I didn't want to make a fuss :o Might send an email!

The last time I was there, maybe a year a go, I complained about this. I asked them what meat it was and they assured me it was 100% Irish beef. They obviously barely care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Bengali prawn curry.
    Do you have a recipe for this? The recipe I have for prawn curry is very disappointing.

The let downs were an amuse bouche of vegetable foam, yeah, tomatoes and celery are vegetables but they're not they're not great ones. Extremely overcooked hake in what appeared to be salt sauce. And I wonder if I'm the only person in the world who finds saffron unpalatable? We had gambas in saffron sauce but I really, really dislike saffron. I suspect I have a taste aversion to it the same way some people do with coriander. To me, saffron tastes like the inside of a musty old wardobe that hasn't been opened in 30 years.
    Tomatoes are fruit, I think! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

You knew what I meant! :P I think it was supposed to be gazpacho foam but the only flavours in it were tomatoes and celery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

North African style lamb shank (sliced by butcher) stew with herbed couscous with lemon zest and pine nuts.

8gPPaC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Very proud of today's dinner. Pan fried sea bass (caught less than 24 hours before), creamy risotto and roasted asparagus and cherry tomatoes:

5msuo.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Do you have a recipe for this? The recipe I have for prawn curry is very disappointing.
    The boss tells me it's a Gordon Ramsay recipe. I'll see if I can dig it out and post it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Homemade duck rolls using rice noodle wrappers and raw veg. Served with hoisin dipping sauce. Very tasty, will be making again.

springrolls1_zpsebc9af74.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Last night I had slow cooked beef ribs, with boulaninoise potatos (a boulangere/dauphinoise hybrid).

Tonight I cooking a variarion of this http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/great_sausage_casserole_73010 with chorizo instead of bacon as I had some lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Steak on a toasted seeded bagel with some homemade wedges :)

310010_10151624632101718_1800901341_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Saturday I did homemade 'takeaway' of burgers & spicy wedges. It has been ages since I made my burgers & they were savage.

I also made a massive chicken tagine-type dish to keep the family going for the next few days so Mrs Billy isn't slaving over a hot stove while the kids are on mid-term.

Am back in Switz & tonight was just some Sudafed & hot honey & lemon drinks coz I have a rotten head-cold & really couldn't be bothered cooking just for myself... :(

Tonight I made a delicious pasta dish for dinner, similar to my favourite dish from my fave Italian restaurant.

I chopped some bacon (not rashers, bacon that you boil and have with cabbage etc) and cooked it with some mushrooms, garlic and red onion.

Then I used a jar of mascarpone and tomato sauce from Aldi (this one: http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/media/product_range/product_range/UK_WhatsNew_230113_PD_7.jpg ), I drained a can of chopped tomatoes and threw those in and mixed around. I seasoned it with salt, pepper, chili flakes, dried parsley, dried basil and dried rosemary.

Served with tagliatelle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

On Sunday I cooked ham in the slow cooker with Coke, we had it with oniony garlicky roast potatoes, diced carrot & swede and cabbage. I had an apple & rhubarb tart in the freezer so I didn't have to make a dessert. It was the hubby's birthday so we had cake too.
    Last night we had spaghetti with meatballs and I made LaChatteGitane's baguettes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

My eye sight is going, I read "I cooked him in the slow cooker" and thought whoa, boards.ie is gonna end up on the news.

Him or ham, it sounds delicious. Hope your husband survived and will have many more happy birthdays to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Last night I made chicken, leek and onion in a creamy gorgonzola sauce with wholewheat fusilli.

Also made a baked rhubarb cheesecake with a ginger base

Pac Man cheesecake :P
    13EDCDEB-0493-491B-93CA-01DF7A9811BE-25684-00002289B8631880_zps20970e03.jpg

(Also there are two slices missing not one big one!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My eye sight is going, I read "I cooked him in the slow cooker" and thought whoa, boards.ie is gonna end up on the news.

Him or ham, it sounds delicious. Hope your husband survived and will have many more happy birthdays to come.

Thank you - and some days I DO feel like cooking him in the slow cooker ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I took two chicken fillets out to defrost last night but I'd no inspiration.

Being a gorgeous day, I didn't want anything that'd take too long to cook, so I just made fajita chicken, peppers, red onion on bread rolls that I had left over.
    Really tasty, quick and simple.

2ltjsi.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Tonight was to be sweetcorn fritters but today was the last day of my final exams. I'm so tired from lying awake at night feeling guilty about spending all day painting my nails and not doing any study whatsoever that I feared setting myself on fire dealing with any depth of hot oil. I could be on fire now, a full hour after dinner, and I'm not full sure I'd notice

<checks self for flames>

Instead fried chorizo & a chipotle chili in adobo in a slice of butter till the lovely chorizo fat started melting, then added sweetcorn and kept it on the heat till it began catching & popping. While this was going on I steamed a basa fillet in the microwave. Once there were enough blackened pieces of sweetcorn for my taste I mixed through tomatoes & coriander and popped the piece of basa in the pan for a minute to absorb the last of the buttery chorizo fat. Was very, very tasty. Especially with all the beer that is going with it.

3f041aeb-358b-4a00-90dc-e43b288734de_zpsd543c06b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Tonight was to be sweetcorn fritters but today was the last day of my final exams. I'm so tired from lying awake at night feeling guilty about spending all day painting my nails and not doing any study whatsoever that I feared setting myself on fire dealing with any depth of hot oil. I could be on fire now, a full hour after dinner, and I'm not full sure I'd notice

<checks self for flames>

Instead fried chorizo & a chipotle chili in adobo in a slice of butter till the lovely chorizo fat started melting, then added sweetcorn and kept it on the heat till it began catching & popping. While this was going on I steamed a basa fillet in the microwave. Once there were enough blackened pieces of sweetcorn for my taste I mixed through tomatoes & coriander and popped the piece of basa in the pan for a minute to absorb the last of the buttery chorizo fat. Was very, very tasty. Especially with all the beer that is going with it.

Woo, congrats on finishing the exams!

That dinner looks deelish too :)

Do you have a recipe for this?
    Found it online: http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/gordon-ramsay/bengali-prawn-curry-recipe

Today, cod with gremolata, garlic and herb butter, and a citrus and broccoli couscous.

cod-couscous.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Puff pastry parcel filled with bacon, salami, spring onion, portobello mushroom, red cheddar and inferno hot sauce - sweet potato mash and peas

65451366-0E30-446B-B6C1-F21A9553CB36-25943-000022B729B62D9F_zps48417c1e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Pork chop done on the BBQ ,with fried potatoes and green beens mixed with tomatoes and some chilli spices

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/b3g9qu9q6euoawf/U8r5EUEozl

Jamie Oliver's sausage carbonara.

carbonara.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭maximo31

Tonight was a dish from the Boards Cooking Club!
    Link : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055966478

It was very tasty indeed,the queen was suitably impressed!
    My presentation might not be great but as long as it tastes good i'm happy! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement