Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Cooking club carbonara, delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I ate very late last night so I just had a selection - homemade brown bread (from the cooking club - mine is the last post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=84502279#post84502279), smoked mackerel, red cheddar, rocket+tomato with balsamic vinegar and some chilli tortilla chips

4C7DC826-6363-4785-B5CD-08FC78ECD37B-26511-0000246BEFAA5127_zpsb32e19c0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Made a big pot of chilli with lots of lovely smokey chipotle. There is a baked potato under there somewhere!

chilliMay2013_zps82c03423.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had marinated pork steak medallions with onions, mushrooms, roasted tomatoes and new potatoes. I was half-way through before I realised I'd meant to take a photo. It was delish :)

Macaroni bake with mince in a creamy tomato sauce (onion, garlic, spring onion, chopped tomatoes, yellow bell pepper, courgette, green chilli, Worcestershire sauce, cream, mackerel skin, basil, s&p, cayenne pepper, Tomato purée) topped with mozarella and red cheddar

6CA224FB-2BFF-41FC-B3FA-E54C3A0B8B0B-428-000000E629D80F7D_zps51cb2802.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

tmc86 wrote: »
    Macaroni bake with mince in a creamy tomato sauce (onion, garlic, spring onion, chopped tomatoes, yellow bell pepper, courgette, green chilli, Worcestershire sauce, mackerel skin, basil, s&p, cayenne pepper, Tomato purée) topped with mozarella an red cheddar

That looks yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Chicken & bacon pie:

IMAG0342.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

My dinner tonight. Great fun altogether :(

Edit: Feckin huge photo, so I wont embed it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,511 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Baked chicken in breadcrumbs with matchstick fries.

Chicken thighs marinated in buttermilk for a couple of hours in the fridge.
    Season breadcrumbs in garlic powder, cayenne pepper, mixed herbs and salt/pepper.
    Coat chicken in breadcrumbs and bake on a greased tray for 45 minutes on 180c.
    Meanwhile finely slice some potatoes into matchstick sized chips and deep fry in olive oil until brown and crisp. Drain on kitchen roll and sprinkle with salt.

Massaman curry with lots of veg and rice noodles. Used the recipe in the Cooking Club by the wonderful boardsie Curry Addict. Absolutely feckin delicious.

massamancurry_zpsdc83d151.jpg

• Advertisement

Last night I had some very black peppery fillet steak (med-rare), served on some garlic mashed sweet potatoes and blanched broccoli. No pics because I was starving.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Got a 1/4 of a free range pig last week.
    Fried huge chops with skin on; creamy mash; grilled tomatoes with garlic; cider, mustard and thyme gravy; English asparagus (so nice to get asparagus that hasn't been on a round the world trip).

5DtaRB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Slow roasted a nice piece of pork belly and served it with some very nice asparagus and sweet potato mash with a touch of ginger

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

We had chicken breasts stuffed with mozzarella, goat's cheese, fresh basil, capers and some finely chopped fennel fronds, wrapped in Parma ham and oven baked, served with a salad of apple, fennel and iceberg lettuce in an improvised lemon mustard mayo dressing, with LaChatte's fabulous fresh-baked baguettes on the side.

We got a lovely gift of some fancy Le Creuset soup bowls, so I made French onion soup, topped with sliced baguette and melted cheese. Very nice though I didn't have any brandy to put in it which was a shame.

frenchonionsoupmay2013_zps168a5ac3.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I made a duo of ravioli this evening, including egg yolk ravioli - my first time to attempt them. Each serving had eight or so small square ravioli with a filling of minced prawn, smoked salmon, lemon zest, parsley and dill, and one large round raviolo with a filling of ricotta and basil topped with the egg yolk, all served with beurre noisette and toasted pine nuts.

I was due to make a cooking club recipe today but it didn't happen for a variety of reasons. So instead I had a quick stir fry instead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Today was one of those days. Exam period, haven't had time to do the grocery shopping, McDonalds for lunch... That kind of day. So dinner time rolled around and I was feeling lazy and apathetic. Eventually, it was nearly 8pm and we still hadn't eaten, so I took some pizza dough and tomato sauce out of the freezer and defrosted them in the microwave, intending to have a pizza with fresh tomatoes and prawns. A friend was ringing, so I quickly assembled the pizza, stuck it in the oven and came back 15 minutes later as I always do.

It. Was. DISGUSTING.

The base, presumably due to being defrosted in the microwave, was essentially raw. It was completely soggy and doughy. Because I'd put the prawns on at the start, they'd overcooked to the point where they were crispy. My OH diligently tried to eat it, but I had to stop him because you wouldn't even give it to the dog!

I'll chalk today up as a failure :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Faith wrote: »
    Today was one of those days. Exam period, haven't had time to do the grocery shopping, McDonalds for lunch... That kind of day. So dinner time rolled around and I was feeling lazy and apathetic. Eventually, it was nearly 8pm and we still hadn't eaten, so I took some pizza dough and tomato sauce out of the freezer and defrosted them in the microwave, intending to have a pizza with fresh tomatoes and prawns. A friend was ringing, so I quickly assembled the pizza, stuck it in the oven and came back 15 minutes later as I always do.

It. Was. DISGUSTING.

The base, presumably due to being defrosted in the microwave, was essentially raw. It was completely soggy and doughy. Because I'd put the prawns on at the start, they'd overcooked to the point where they were crispy. My OH diligently tried to eat it, but I had to stop him because you wouldn't even give it to the dog!

I'll chalk today up as a failure :o

As a friend of mine says "Sometimes you bite the bear, sometimes the bear bites you"

Faith, tomorrow's dinner can only be better!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Faith, tomorrow's dinner can only be better!

Haha, true! It was definitely the worst thing I've ever served up :D

Sorry to hear about your pizza Faith, it makes me feel somewhat guilty for posting this now as I also made homemade pizza!

Gubeen Chorizo, chilli and 3 cheese (Mozarella, Gorgonzola, Gubeen) pizza with cracked pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.

7ed57e0b-84a1-4354-b92b-0e807e9e327f_zps37014e41.jpg

4ad4b858-f9f0-48a6-bd09-4cae25c225c5_zps0b3acab7.jpg

Saturday, Mrs Beer made dinner. We had pan fried rabbit saddle and the legs stewed in beer with rhubarb and ginger jam and winter savoury; butterbeans; spinach; sweetcorn.

5rHj2Q.jpg

Some sundays we find ourselves out all day and then come home in the afternoon, ravenous so I've taken to doing slow roast, spiced pork joints - a pork hock this time. Served with wet polenta and rocket, mustard and lettuce salad.

597aqy.jpg

Today was lovely leftovers.
    First we had the last of the rabbit stew with butterbeans.
    Then we had Aldi Mediterranean wholemeal wraps with rocket, slow roast pork, spicy pickled sliced onion and some Frank's hotsauce.

7fwWnR.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Lentil & vegetable chili. Really tasty, been hanging around the pot with my fork for the past half an hour snaffling extra

afe00212-2111-47d7-be5e-d418b84e9f25_zpsfa782a30.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I made a Salmon Coulibiac on Sunday and jambalaya yesterday.

iAwt8t4.jpg

9Nj8GOY.jpg
    Unfortunately no inside shot of the coulibiac because it got eaten too fast. I can highly recommend it though, this is the recipe I use except I leave out the hardboiled eggs (yucky).

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/756634/salmon-coulibiac

Also Jambalaya is v. tasty.

Excuse crappy phone pics :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sausage roll, mixed beans, chopped tomato and onion wrapped in Lidl puff pastry.

2nkqm41.jpg

1059qao.jpg

Puff pastry parcel with pork, spring onion, mushroom and leeks in a creamy gorgonzola sauce served with roasted butternut squash & sour cream and peas

3afc456007ad52ab362feb27967b4959_zpsed88f440.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Puff pastry for the WIN! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement