Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Girlfriend made this last night: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/764636/

It was fantastic, I didn't get any pictures but we froze a portion for later in the week so I may get a pic then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Mike65 when you say sausage roll what meat do you mean.... I'd love to make this after seeing your pic so if you could give me the heads up I'd be grateful. Ta!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Avoca Fish Pie fresh out of the oven for tonight

50c18a7c33d2b704c217f3a8c893970e_zpsfa179f78.jpg

Had a little cry today...I cooked cheese and onion pie a la my late dads recipe...served with a selection of salads. I am only a basic cook but he had a great flair for food...I dont know whether it was the food that made me remember or the great times we had over dinners....miss you dad xxxx...hope your the great masterchef in the sky....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

gjc wrote: »
    Had a little cry today...I cooked cheese and onion pie a la my late dads recipe...served with a selection of salads. I am only a basic cook but he had a great flair for food...I dont know whether it was the food that made me remember or the great times we had over dinners....miss you dad xxxx...hope your the great masterchef in the sky....:o

That looks really lovely and such a nice way to remember your dad.
    It can be good to cry.
    It's also good to eat good food;)
    I owe a lot of my interest in food to my dad (thankfully still alive).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

gjc wrote: »
    Mike65 when you say sausage roll what meat do you mean.... I'd love to make this after seeing your pic so if you could give me the heads up I'd be grateful. Ta!!

Hi very simple (need to be for my ability!)

Each roll has the following basics

3 large sausages deskinned
    diced 3 slices of onion
    diced slices of tomato

with anything else that takes your fancy/needs using up.

For a bit more kick I suggest English mustard or Worcestershire Sauce.

Roll out the pastry (a bit longer than A4 and slightly narrower) squish the sausages together across the pastry about 2 inches from the top (in portrait format!) and throw on the tomato and onion, leave about an inch grace either side, break an egg beat it and put it around the edges of the pastry. Pat it all down, then roll it all over from the top so the pastry overlaps at the end. Then press the edges together and use the egg to brush the roll down to the lower sides, score the top three times so the air escapes as it heats up (otherwise you just get a burnt top). Cook gently at 100 C in a preheated top oven, after about 15 minutes turn up the heat to 150 for the last 5 (obviously checking is a good idea) but I find when you hear it start to bubble its ready! Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Last night we had roast turkey breast, broccoli, potatoes and gravy, washed down with Sierra Nevada.

Tonight we are having Rack of Lamb, spinach cooked in butter and milk, and potatoes, which will be washed down with Innis & Gunn Blonde. Can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Last night it was Smoked haddock on creamy mash with a poached egg on top (Ray D'arcy did the same recipe on The Restaurant several years ago).

Tonight it's spinach and goat's cheese and pine nut tart.

Tonight was chicken continental, its ment to have fried mushrooms on top..didnt have any so threw in some sweetcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

A variation on homemade fish and chips and tartar sauce
    5B0757CE-CFD1-481A-A015-3126ABCD6433-2813-0000064C5C05B623_zps19c5f692.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Just ate a bowl of salmon coulibiac without the pastry and it is bloody gorgeous. You just cook the rice as per the recipe I posted on the last page and flake some softly poached salmon into it and give it a good stir. (that recipe makes enough rice for 3 sensible people or two gutties).

Om nom nom nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Chicken kebabs

254052.jpg

Aldi rib eye steak (gas BBQ, rare)
    English asparagus with wild garlic pesto.

8mSdLf.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just pulled this out of the oven, it's currently resting up a bit before I dive in, be very jealous.

Made a meat sauce of beef, onions, garlic, a few chillies, courgette, aubergine, sweet potato, a few chopped tomatoes, some pasata and a bit of tomato paste last night, portioned it up into freezer bags today and kept one portion (2 servings) out and made this, it smells bloody amazing.

s2z5f5.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Homemade pesto and penne pasta. I will NEVER buy pesto in a jar again, this was YUM!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had a Nigella dish I hadn't made for years. It's chicken joints marinated in olive oil, mustard powder, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and sage and roasted with sausages and onions tucked in around them. We had it with new potatoes and broccoli.

Herb omelette with a little Gabriel cheese and raw ham and a splash of Frank's (better without cheese and ham, I reckon), English asparagus, toast.

5wswPb.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

To make up for my disaster last weekend, I've been making nice meals since.

On Wednesday, we had toad in the hole with homemade (for the first time!) onion gravy, mashed potatoes and peas.

Last night was king prawns in a cream and white wine sauce with garlic and chili, served with spaghetti and garlic bread.

Tonight was roast free-range chicken, roast potatoes, peas, Yorkshire puddings and the leftover onion gravy.

All were really tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭limnam

Served with wet polenta and rocket, mustard and lettuce salad.

Where did your interest in Polenta come from? I see you use it a lot, I've never had it served to me by anyone but an Italian. Yours especially the fried does look mouth watering.

Tonight's a lazy one so we're having Chicken Korma and Rogan Josh both made with Aruna sauce, both done in 15 min. I have to say the Rogan Josh sauce is really really lovely and tasted very Indian restaurant like. Next time I'll use the sauce and throw in a can of chickpeas.
    Served with buttered rice.

Peanut butter pistachio chocolate chunk cookies are in the oven now. New recipe so we'll see how this pans out. If it's yum-oh I'll put it up on random recipe thread.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    To make up for my disaster last weekend, I've been making nice meals since.

On Wednesday, we had toad in the hole with homemade (for the first time!) onion gravy, mashed potatoes and peas.

Last night was king prawns in a cream and white wine sauce with garlic and chili, served with spaghetti and garlic bread.

Tonight was roast free-range chicken, roast potatoes, peas, Yorkshire puddings and the leftover onion gravy.

All were really tasty!

Sweet revenge!

limnam wrote: »
    Where did your interest in Polenta come from? I see you use it a lot, I've never had it served to me by anyone but an Italian. Yours especially the fried does look mouth watering.

I couldn't really say where my interest in it came from but it's become a staple which we both love, is incredibly cheap and once you know how, very easy to prepare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Beef stir fry with mushrooms and spinach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Pork meatballs laced with lemongrass, coriander, garlic, ginger, red & green chili fish sauce & soy (ie - open spice press, throw EVERYTHING vaguely Thai in your dinner, refrain (barely) from lashing in wasabi sesame seeds) in a green curry broth with courgettes, green pepper, sugarsnaps & noodles. V. tasty, mainly the meatballs. The broth is a bit underwhelming, think I need to move to making my own paste and upping the creamy aspect. Basically I want a bucket of Camille Thai green curry and I can never recreate it.

1c8cefb9-2025-4a64-8181-93a91a1b8bab_zps08ad3d65.jpg

Tortilla de patatas, cebolla, ajo, setas y tomates con batatas fritas al horno.

I also had a big blob of romesco that I spiced up with a squirt of sriracha for dipping the chips and spreading on the tortilla.

5d2u4x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

NOW im hungry seaneh

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Seaneh wrote: »
    Tortilla de patatas, cebolla, ajo, setas y tomates con batatas fritas al horno.

I also had a big blob of romesco that I spiced up with a squirt of sriracha for dipping the chips and spreading on the tortilla.

And some of the plate :pac:

No false airs or graces in this house, the plate is useable until it's completely broken!

Seaneh...your very welcome to come and view my plates, cups etc any day...its a struggle to find one that isnt chipped. Have you ever lifted a mug to feel a bit of give in the handle...thats the only time I throw it out for fear of scalding someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

On Friday we had a healthy take on Burgers and Chips. We used slimbos instead of burger buns, chips cooked in the oven and half the chips were actually carrots. This was delicious, even though I didn't cook it myself.
    254632.png

Last night I made Moroccan style beef meatballs. I forgot to get chickpeas so used a tin of mixed beans instead, by the time the sauce had cooked the beans were turned to mush, next time I'll use chickpeas and add them later than I did. Served with quinoa.
    254633.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement