Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We had pizza with chicken tossed in Frank's Hot Sauce and sliced pineapple. It worked better than I thought it would, and was really delicious.

This was dessert then :D

uErEEnsl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Making grilled steak, with oven baked potato cubes, steamed carrots and peppercorn sauce.

For desert i made little fruit tartlets earlier on. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Made a delicious creamy pork and chicken pasta dish tonight for dinner.

Finely chopped a red onion, some mushrooms, two garlic pork chops and two garlic chicken skewers.

Heat some olive oil in a pan, add in mushrooms and onion and cook for 1-2 mins, then put in the meat and cook for about 5-6 mins, stirring constantly, then put in cream (200ml) and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkled in some dried basil, dried parsley and black pepper just before I put the meat in the pan. Had it with tagliatelle (used four nests).

It was very garlicky for me though (and there was no fresh garlic in it), it's a very filling dish so you only need a small amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I had some salmon with garlic butter done in the oven and some sweet potato wedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Homemade Pad Thai. Had to go to the Chinese shop to get the rice noodles and tamarind paste but it was well worth it. Beautiful simple dish that's packed full of flavour. Also added loads of chilli for that authentic face-burning goodness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

No pics, sorry-can't find my camera!

Chilli and garlic tiger prawns tossed with mange-tout, carrot batons, red onion, water chestnuts, sliced red and yellow pepper, petits pois, on a bed of fine egg noodles, sprinkled with finely sliced scallion and extra chillies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Faith wrote: »
    We had pizza with chicken tossed in Frank's Hot Sauce and sliced pineapple. It worked better than I thought it would, and was really delicious.

This was dessert then :D

<picture snipped>

That picture of the muffins was so distracting I couldn't read your post. All I picked up was 'Frank's Hot Sauce', my brain could not compute how you would put Hot Sauce in your chocolate muffins!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Moroccan Lamb with cous cous :-)

igc7f6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

An omlette with garlic, chili, red pepper & soy sauce folded over steamed white fish. Was crying out for sriracha, weeping for it.
    e8273cbe-9236-41a3-98b0-1e9ef5ec0a0b_zps37ef60a3.jpg

(burnt bits artfully hidden with feathery scallions)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

mike65 wrote: »
    Hi very simple (need to be for my ability!)

Each roll has the following basics

3 large sausages deskinned
    diced 3 slices of onion
    diced slices of tomato

with anything else that takes your fancy/needs using up.

For a bit more kick I suggest English mustard or Worcestershire Sauce.

Roll out the pastry (a bit longer than A4 and slightly narrower) squish the sausages together across the pastry about 2 inches from the top (in portrait format!) and throw on the tomato and onion, leave about an inch grace either side, break an egg beat it and put it around the edges of the pastry. Pat it all down, then roll it all over from the top so the pastry overlaps at the end. Then press the edges together and use the egg to brush the roll down to the lower sides, score the top three times so the air escapes as it heats up (otherwise you just get a burnt top). Cook gently at 100 C in a preheated top oven, after about 15 minutes turn up the heat to 150 for the last 5 (obviously checking is a good idea) but I find when you hear it start to bubble its ready! Hope that helps.

Thanks for this Mike. I made two Ginormous Sausage Rolls for dinner last night and they were delicious, and very filling! Served them with coleslaw and ballymaloe relish.

Monday night was also another sausage night -- Nigel Slater's awesome Bangers and Carrot mash.

Tonight we're having Chilli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Homemade lamb koftes with bulghur wheat.

Made the koftes by combining lamb mince with a little blended onion and garlic, paprika, cumin, ground coriander and cayenne pepper as well as a few tablespoons of finely chopped fresh coriander leaf. Cooked on a griddle pan.

The bulghur wheat then dressed with chopped tomato, lemon juice, pepper and scallions served; all served with a side of red cabbage. Really quick and delightfully tasty.

(Must start posting pictures!)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Thanks for this Mike. I made two Ginormous Sausage Rolls for dinner last night and they were delicious, and very filling! Served them with coleslaw and ballymaloe relish.

Here's another one for you. Same recipe, minus the tomato, and crumble some black pudding over the sausage.

Had jamie olivers chicken pie with green beans and cauliflower tonight. No real kick out of it, might add chilli flakes next time.

beertons wrote: »
    Here's another one for you. Same recipe, minus the tomato, and crumble some black pudding over the sausage.

Oh indeed I will. Thanks for the tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I guess not really the weather for it but I had a hankering for it:
    Irish stew with lots of pearl barley - had it with bread.

4HqKAS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Irish stew again tonight but this time accompanied by a dressed green salad of rocket, red mustard, wild garlic leaves and flowers and basil leaves.

78mdg6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Chinese barbecued pork on bok choy. Tofu and broccoli stir fry with shallots and mushrooms. Boiled rice.

kapg5j.jpg

Tonight we had Steamed Seabass with ginger, garlic & leek soy, with fluffy steamed rice.
    Dessert was the Cooking Club's Apple Tart with whipped cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I guess not really the weather for it but I had a hankering for it:
    Irish stew with lots of pearl barley - had it with bread.

It's defo the best meal if you're in Dublin.
    Baltic out.

Massive dinner last night that I couldn't finish.
    Chicken breast stuffed with pesto, peppers and goats cheese wrapped in prosciutto, served with brown rice and a very hot Thai veg curry. Also had roasted parsnips and butternut squash with it. Eyes bigger than the belly.
    Weird combo but it was savage.

CB8E4607-0A0D-424D-88DD-6E49C656F317-3748-0000022B3AE45063_zps8f076318.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Havent posted here in a while! Here is a random curry i threw together the other night! I just used ingredients we had in the press! Some leftover steak from the night before, a tin of chopped tomatoes, ginger, garlic, chickpeas, a red pepper, a carrot, turmeric, garam masala and half a chill! I served it with boil in the bag rice, threw a teaspoon of turmeric into the pot while cooking it!

image_zps69b2cb8f.jpg

image_zps8f2fb5d1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Vaguely Moroccan Chicken Couscous type thing - with tomatos, onion, fruits, spices and the like (couscous added later)

2aaj2oh.jpg

Also my first ever open top apple pie attempt with soft fruit underlay.

e1dnvb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Pan fried chicken with mushroom and tarragon sauce and mashed potatoes.
    Was pretty tasty.

640y9d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Chicken leg with rice and curry sauce. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I've had a rough couple of months.. A couple of horrible things happened which completely knocked out my cooking and eating. The most I managed when it came to cooking was the odd omelette and maybe a rasher sandwich.

This week I started to get back on track with some simple tasty things. The simplest was a bowl of rice krispies one evening :D but these are the rest

Slow cooked pork in a nice asiany marinade with spicy noodles

255353.jpg

Jamie Oliver Piri Piri Chicken

255354.jpg

This evening was Friday homemade pizza. The smell/taste of this was amazing

255355.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Well _feedback_, it looks like you're back in the swing of things :)

Seaneh wrote: »
    Pan fried chicken with mushroom and tarragon sauce and mashed potatoes.
    Was pretty tasty.

I love these combinations. Comfort bliss.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Homemade Pad Thai. Had to go to the Chinese shop to get the rice noodles and tamarind paste but it was well worth it. Beautiful simple dish that's packed full of flavour. Also added loads of chilli for that authentic face-burning goodness.

I love pad thai, but have never made it myself - could you send me on the recipe if you get a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Picked up some nice Monkfish on sale in SQ. Drizzled them with lemon juice and italian herbs, wrapped them up in panchetta and the fried them for 5minfollowed up with 10mins roasting.

The fish was great (must get more and freeze)

Served with boiled baby spuds seasoned which were super and boiled string beans which were not! Overcooked amater mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Making pizza last night.
    'What topping do you want?' I asked the kids. 'Meatball please', they replied. Huh!!!!

Bought some Mini Frikadellen Meatballs in Aldi. So together with passata and grated mozzarella, I sliced the meatballs into four and spread generously on top of my Jamie Oliver pizza dough recipe.

Cooked on pizza stone for 6 minutes, then sprinkled with dried basil and olive oil.

One of the best pizzas ever!!!!

Just about to sit down to Barefoot Contessa's Tuscan Lemon Chicken, with champ, braised carrots and petit pois, graaaaaaavy and Bazmo's Stuffing Balls from the Cooking Club.

7e6fd124e80cdf1586d5e0ff137ec070_zps106220a1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

I did a nice chicken in blackbean sauce. Marinaded the chicken before hand in some five spice. Fried it off with some orange & green peppers & baby mushrooms & added some blackbean sauce from Aldi. Cooked off some rice, let it cool, fried it with eggs, salt & pepper till it was golden and had some crispy bits. Mixed in some diced spring onion. Served with fresh broccoli. Made enough for two days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement