Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Just about to sit down to Barefoot Contessa's Tuscan Lemon Chicken, with champ, braised carrots and petit pois, graaaaaaavy and Bazmo's Stuffing Balls from the Cooking Club.

Jesus Foxy that looks savage! I love Barefoot Contessa.. How annoying is her bloody hubby though.

I've a roast chicken in t'oven.. Think I'll have a nice salad with it now that Summer is finally here \:)/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Last night was griddled rib eyes served with roast veg and roast spud wedges. All very good and patted myself on the back for cooking a nice piece of beef to perfection (God loves a trier!)

tonight we have had a crab, asparagus and rocket salad starter which went down very well with a glass of Tesco finest Riesling! Fillet of lamb and roast spuds in the oven for later.

Back to the stir fries tomorrow!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We had a really tasty dinner tonight! Oven-baked falafel served with tzatziki, hummous, lettuce and cucumber in toasted pita breads, with a side portion of sweet potatoes wedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

I did an eastern European inspired pork dish this evening, with lots of cabbage and paprika. Sort of like a goulash, but with variations.

While doing it I noticed that the other half, who has swanned off to Turkey for a week, had left the remnants of the lime from which she took one slice to go with a glass of gin.

So I cut one of the ends into a couple of chunks and added them to the pot with the pork, onions and cabbage. It added a really nice, and different flavour, to the dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just about to sit down to Barefoot Contessa's Tuscan Lemon Chicken, with champ, braised carrots and petit pois, graaaaaaavy and Bazmo's Stuffing Balls from the Cooking Club.

I'm so happy you didn't put the chicken on the champ. We need to stop that sort of thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

I'm so happy you didn't put the chicken on the champ. We need to stop that sort of thing!

Funny you should say that the first thing I always do if I'm given meat ontop of any veg is more it to the side pet hate of mine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I wouldn't normally have a problem with meat on spuds, though.

Loopy wrote: »
    Jesus Foxy that looks savage! I love Barefoot Contessa.. How annoying is her bloody hubby though.

Aaah poor Jeffrey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Aaah poor Jeffrey :D

I always considered Jeffrey a muppet he wanders in when the feast has been cooked or when the banquet is ready doesn't even lay the table fab food on table fabulous house all down to mrs barefoot

gjc wrote: »
    Funny you should say that the first thing I always do if I'm given meat ontop of any veg is more it to the side pet hate of mine

Yup, having to dismantle your dinner before eating it:mad::mad:
    Who actually eats a fillet of fish skin side up on a bed of stuff? Nobody, that's who! Do people enjoy the ritual of turning it over and finding room on the plate for it before they can eat it?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Yup, having to dismantle your dinner before eating itmad.pngmad.png
    Who actually eats a fillet of fish skin side up and a bed of stuff? Nobody, that's who! Do people enjoy the ritual of turning it over and finding room on the plate for it before they can eat it?confused.png

I kind of like it when the juice of a chicken thigh soaks into pasta and tomato sauce :P

• Administrators Posts: 53,854 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Never mind how it's placed on the plate, but skin on a fish is enough to annoy me. *shudders*

Tonight we're having Gulyasleves.
    Apple crumble in the oven.

ba4974823ebefaf735193ed762d3550a_zps801ad60a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Splitting the stones over here so nipped off to an afternoon barbecue with some jerk(ish) chicken drumsticks and some of the lamb koftes I was on about last week.

Jerk marinade

2 spring onions
    2 cloves of garlic
    2 red scotch bonnet chillis
    1 tbsp of brown sugar
    1 tbsp of soy sauce
    juice of two limes
    1 tbsp of allspice
    0.5 tsp of nutmeg
    black pepper
    4 baby vine tomatoes from a punnet.
    1 tbsp of olive oil

Whizz in a blender, prick 8 chicken drumsticks and smother with the marinade.

This is insanely hot so for normal palettes use 0.5 of a scotch bonnet instead or a milder chilli.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Omelette with chorizo, feta cheese, spring onion, red & yellow peppers. Ended up staying late at work so needed something quick and easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Roast herb seasoned half-chicken,mash spuds with leek,broccoli with melted cheese,grilled cherry tomatoes and a nice glass of red:)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Had a huge lunch out in town yesterday so we decided to have an antipasti platter for dinner, with some wild garlic pesto my dad made:

IMAG0353.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

More pics, people! I love the pics!

...and I owe some myself. :P Tomorrow night is taco night, I'll rustle some up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,103 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Oh indeed I will. Thanks for the tip!

Ment to add. I was telling my butcher about what i was going to make. Asked me to drop one down after. I did, with the recipe. Two weeks later, i go down and see them for sale on the shelf.

Fried up chopped chicken fillets, a red onion, a green pepper and 3 cloves of garlic. Dry fried fuenegrec seeds, mustard seeds and coriander seeds, crushed them lightly and sprinkled them on top. Added a teaspoon of tumeric, stirred and cooked for 10 minutes with a drop of fish sauce. Threw in them on a whim, it turned out to be really nice. Success.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Yup, having to dismantle your dinner before eating it:mad::mad:
    Who actually eats a fillet of fish skin side up on a bed of stuff? Nobody, that's who! Do people enjoy the ritual of turning it over and finding room on the plate for it before they can eat it?:confused:

Skin side is presentation side, always. It looks better.
    Also cutting from the skid side will keep the piece on your fork intact better. As for placing it on top of mash or some veggies, if chefs didn't bother with presentation people wouldn't enjoy their meals half as much.

If I was served a piece or Cod or Seabass flesh side I'd be disappointed, the skin would be in the sauce/whatever and wouldn't stay crispy.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Skin side is presentation side, always. It looks better.
    Also cutting from the skid side will keep the piece on your fork intact better. As for placing it on top or mash or some veggies, if chefs didn't bother with presentation people wouldn't enjoy their meals half as much.

If I was served a piece or Cod of Seabass flesh side I'd be disappointed, the skin would be in the sauce/whatever and wouldn't stay crispy.

I guess there's always one!;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I guess there's always one!

Me and just about every chef worth his salt ;)

Seaneh wrote: »
    Me and just about every chef worth his/her salt ;)

FYP:rolleyes:
    Pity all the customers aren't chefs!;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Enough. Back on topic, please.

Sometimes there's nothing like meat, spuds, three veg and gravy:
    Leftover poached turkey breast from Saturday's dinner (no pics, so it didn't happen), champ, carrots, green beans, savoy cabbage and leftover gravy.
    Yummmmmmm.

73n4FB.jpg

I also have to share the squid I did as a sharing starter on Saturday.
    It's ridiculously easy, ridiculously quick and so effing tasty!

Just cut your squid into bite sized pieces.
    Bung into a wok or pan, heated with some neutral oil.
    Flash fry for about a minute.
    Add a finely chopped fresh chilli of choice (optional) and fry for about a minute more.
    Add a fist full of chopped fresh coriander, the juice of about half a lime and a good pinch of sea salt and serve.

I toyed with adding ginger, garlic, soy, fish sauce, sesame oil and the like but the simplicity and freshness of the above works fantastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Hey guys, I've just seen this competition and thought it would be of interest to some of my other fellow foodies. I think they are some really amazing dinner photos on this thread so Mods I hope you don't mind me posting a link here, would be great to see some of our grub featured in the calendar!! :D

https://www.bbcgoodfoodshowsummer.com/page.cfm/Action=Form/formID=9/nocache=25042013

Not to be totally off-topic, I had a caprese salad to start last night with some yummy prosecco and then I made a fish pie with hake, salmon and smoked haddock. I based it on Kevin Dundon's fish pie recipe (with quite a few tweaks, it was yum!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I marinated some mini chicken fillets in mixture of ketchup, brown sauce, smoked paprika, honey and pepper. Sounds weird but i ran out of BBQ sauce and this is an ok substitute.

I grilled them on the griddle pan while in the grill i had bacon slices and chorizo. I warmed up the baps i made earlier but i may or may not have slightly burned them...dont ask me how. Pieced them all together and they were delish! I had them with creamed corn, peas and homemade roasted chips.

For dessert, i made these earlier on. Its a flour, butter and Almond base with a filling of icing sugar, cream cheese and cream topped with blueberries.

8868206445_0f8a62ce87.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

A bowl of Sparks banging chilli with a small bit of brown rice. It was the last portion in the freezer; I'm a bit sentimental now, must make another batch.

For after training and lunch tomorrow I fired up another batch of Jerk Chicken, this time made completely differently and cooked in the oven. It was also delicious.

4 whole chicken legs
    2tbsp of Jerk seasoning mix
    2 tbsp of ketchup
    1tbsp of soy sauce
    1tbsp of honey.

Smear all over the chicken and use remainder to baste.

Bake covered at 170 for an hour in the bottom of the oven, remove cover and blast them at the top to crisp up the skin. Serve with hot pepper sauce and salad.

I think this is a quick Ainsley Harriet recipe and while I'm generally sceptical about ketchup, this really was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I had a Crackbird food baby: soy garlic chicken, chipotle baked beans, potato croquettes, and curry yoghurt brochettes. Man, I love their soy garlic chicken!

• Advertisement

For once Mrs Beer and I remembered our wedding anniversary (well sort of - on Sunday she decided it was on Saturday and we had missed it as usual, on Monday I declared it was then but on further discussion and checking it turned out to be Tuesday - yesterday:D) Anyway, I decided to do a slightly special meal in honour of sort of remembering it.

Pan fried medium rare Skeaghanore duck fillets with plum and star anise jus.
    Potato rosti, garlic grilled tomatoes, asparagus, grilled aubergine.
    Washed down with a very nice Langhe Nebbiolo.

5xWV3L.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement