Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

A little caprese salad with Parma and then steamed smoked haddock on a bed of wilted spinach, chorizo, potato one-pot.Had some cava to go with as we were celebrating! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Last night we had rosemary roast chicken, with spicy chickpea curry and cous cous.

This.looks.delicious! What did you add to make the chickpea curry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

tmc86 wrote: »
    This.looks.delicious! What did you add to make the chickpea curry?

A bit of a cheat here -- I actually used the Aruna Rogan Josh sauce, added canned chickpeas, potatoes, green beans and cumin seeds, and simmer until cooked. Then added fresh coriander.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    A bit of a cheat here -- I actually used the Aruna Rogan Josh sauce, added canned chickpeas, potatoes, green beans and cumin seeds, and simmer until cooked. Then added fresh coriander.

Can't complain with Aruna sauces! good quality and Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

A boring ish quick and easy, thrown together dinner! Beef with peppers onions, chinese 5 spice and soy sauce and oyster sauce! rice, corn and asparagus! Tried to fancy it up with presentation but failed miserably!

2013-04-22190734_zpsb75c8fc1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Nasi Goreng!

Pro's: Very tasty, also pretty quick to assemble at the end
    Cons: Have to dry-fry terrible stinky shrimp paste - I keep thinking I'll get used to the smell and it's always an unpleasant surprise. :)

XgLQWSb.jpg

It's Friday and miserable outside -- so we're having Fish Pie with petit pois.

006_zps01ee624a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

B0jangles wrote: »
    Nasi Goreng!

Pro's: Very tasty, also pretty quick to assemble at the end
    Cons: Have to dry-fry terrible stinky shrimp paste - I keep thinking I'll get used to the smell and it's always an unpleasant surprise. :)

I have that shrimp paste double wrapped in clingfilm and in a ziplock baggie and sealed in tupperware stored in the very back of a low cupboard in my kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Hi everyone!

I was in Spain for a week and ate out every night.
    I'll post pictures of my meals every day, instead of creating one big long post here.

First up was an amazing steak which was cooked properly-flame grilled on coals in a fab steakhouse:

6papg0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Very hungover after Neil Young last night. First thing I've eaten today. I let the streak rest in the bread For extra depth.

Zrmka28l.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Lamb stew for us tonight, very limited with ingredients and refused to get a take away so used what we had to hand and it turned out delicious.

Browned some lamb chops in a frying pan and then put them into the pot, then threw some chopped onions into the pan the lamb was in and put in some port with them, then threw that on top of the chops along with some carrots and spuds.

Mixed up chopped tomatoes, dried basil, beef stock pot, dried oregano, salt and pepper into a jug and mixed it up and poured it into the pot, along with some boiling water also put some port into the pan after the tomatoes etc and after a minute or two in the pan I poured it on top of the spuds etc.

Left everything to simmer for about two hours, tasted it twice and it turned out fantastic, didn't expect it to turn out as well as it did, delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I made a chicken and chorizo paella earlier - only problem with making this dish is there is always so much leftover I end up eating it around 3-4 nights in a row. Then don't make it again for ages.

We had a big weekend of food as we had a quiet weekend watching the US Open. I only managed to capture two pictures over 3 days!

Friday: Turkey, butternut squash & sweet pepper curry with brown rice.

60B952A3-C0FA-4F4F-98B0-04634E34BFFD-13650-00001105CAE52350_zps148fec38.jpg

Followed by a homemade rhubarb, raspberry and blueberry crumble using vanilla sugar and cinnamon. This was served with vanilla ice cream and mayple syrup.

Saturday: Franks Hot sauce chicken wings (done in the oven)

For main I made beef, bacon and white pudding burgers using Angus mince, topped with a slice of grilled white pudding and a disc of mozarella between a toasted ciabatta. Served with sweet potato wedges.

Desert we had warm apple lattice with ice cream since it was so easy.

Sunday: Since the wings were so popular the previous evening I did them again (and managed to remember to take a pic) but also did half in a smokey bbq sauce from the butcher.

CA43B5E2-9DB7-4DFB-AFE7-721FA33B2967-13650-00001105E187E9E3_zpsa6c61622.jpg

For main we had chilli dogs with merguez sausages and cheddar cheese. These were served with wedges.

I'm fasting today and will be having a salad tonight :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

On Saturday Mrs Beer cooked us rare rib eye steaks, red wine reduction, wet polenta and roast tomatoes.

4XKaCG.jpg

Yesterday we had pan fried fillets of hake with rocket and herb pesto, quinoa and grilled peppers, tomatoes and courgettes with basil leaves.

5tmUeS.jpg

8emNcc.jpg

I had some sauce romanesco in the freezer which would have been great with this meal but I forgot about it:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Steak with some soy veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Homemade BBQ ground chuck burgers with sirachi, pickle, lettuce and tomato on a white kaiser bun with a thrown together salad. Delicious.

ca50a016-0ce7-4b67-8ba8-07be69492b83.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

JqzFkB0l.jpg

Fried mackerel from this recipe, champ, beetroot 3 ways adapted from this recipe. I put some red wine vinegar on the carpaccio and port and cloves in the puree instead of honey. It would have been too sweet, otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spaghetti meatballs and home made tomato sauce

ingredients for the sauce enough for two

Two tin tomatoes drained
    Half a red pepper finely sliced/diced
    2 cloves garlic finely chopped
    A third small onion chopped
    2 large flat mushroom (not sure what they are called) chopped
    Paprika, cloves, black pepper.

2ppzp1e.jpg

Very tasty, first proper go at a sauce so pleased with the result.

Super simple stew of chorizo, chickpeas and tomatoes with quinoa.

6vx2PS.jpg

• Advertisement

Last night was dal with Mediterranean wholemeal wraps.

4RR4hs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We bought a giant ham from the butchers, boiled it for a couple of hours and then cut chunks off it and made an American-style hash with potatoes, onions and a gooey fried egg on top. Very nice comfort food, not fussy at all and real easy to throw together.

hamandpotatohashjune2013_zps8d9aeb74.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Pan fried John Dory with fennel, broad bead [homegrown], pea and basil risotto. Made raspberry and ricotta chocolate cake for dessert.

2nc3147.jpg

2re0ewz.jpg

Picked up a delicious piece of Silver Irish Hake yesterday, served with Sauteed sweet potato cubes and a salad. Cooked the hake with just some S&P and lime juice so as not to take anything away from the flavour!

97D93470-9AC4-4809-AB6E-459305C10925-2249-000002E601FF8E99_zps5d2dbcbe.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had home made pizzas last night - ham, mushroom and salami for me. There's a plate under there somewhere!

1t95dz.jpg

I was in Aldi in Bray yesterday and was amazed and delighted to find a single pot of Thai basil in among their growing herbs in the veggie section.

I've been looking out for this for a looong time, but the local asian supermarkets never seem to get it in stock when I'm there.

So I scampered home all happy and went looking for recipes that feature it as a central ingredient and settled on:

Gai pad Krapow (recipe from here)

Now I wasn't sure if it was really going to be super amazing since the list of flavourings seems a bit simple and sparse, but oh.my.god was this delicious. Oh and I switched out some of those ordinary long dutch red chilis for the birdseyes ones because I didn't want it to be so hot that the other flavours got overpowered.

I have no picture because it effectively got inhaled before a camera could be found :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I have some chicken legs marinating in paprika, smoked paprika, parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary, chillies, salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon juice at the moment, going to pan fry them for a few minutes and then put them into the oven for a while. Will serve with potatoes and broccoli.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lisatu

Pioneer Womans Chicken Spaghetti

The recipe fills two of my baking dishes so one is tucked in the freezer for another day. :D

I was in the middle of prep for carbonara when i realised I only had lasagne sheets left in the larder. So i cooked them anyway, and sliced them into strips, so there you go, 'Pappardelle Carbonara'. Perfect for this miserable Saturday evening.

005_zps6a064d05.jpg

• Advertisement

I went back to Aldi today in search of more thai basil because I had a terrible choice to make; I could use the rest of what I had to make another batch of Gai Pad Krapow (so very tempting), but then I'd have no thai basil left...

Or, I could be patient (psssh!) and let the plants I had left grow until they were big enough to harvest without hurting them too much

Sophie's culinary choice loomed.

I went with the undeclared middle path - I tried out the substitution method - use italian basil with a small amount of fresh mint to try to replicate the more intense flavours of thai basil.

It did not really work - it was tasty enough, but nowhere near as delicious as the real thing. Unbelivable as it is, I am going to have to be patient.

What is the world coming to?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement