Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

A rough 2 days here in Calgary with many people being evacuated due to the floods, fortunately we are up on a hill, the area we wanted to live is under water.

To raise our spirits I made Jamaican jerk chicken with caribean style rice and beans, amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Nachos for me, and all the makings of nachos seperated out into bowls for my partner who doesn't like 'messy food'.

00e58383-14c9-4408-b6ff-711bf1295475_zpsa53cee21.jpg

Followed by little banana buns iced by putting a chocolate button on top of them while they were still warm.

9cf12f80-5d8c-4c86-bce1-6900acea1fa2_zpsbf52e564.jpg

They were great! Cakes normally defeat me but, for probably the first time ever, I actually creamed the sugar and butter till it looked like cream rather than gritty butter and whatdoyaknow it turns out that bit is important & books weren't lying to me

(Glad to hear you're safely above the water Martyn1989)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,418 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Chicken and mushroom parcels, with bacon, cauliflower and spinach salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Sorry, I know I said I'd be here every day to upload pics from my trip away but it's been a mad week.

So today I'll just post a pic of a Giant Yorkshire Pudding filled with Stew which boyfriend ordered in restaurant while we were away:

6gea1w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

After a mental month of work/internships I've finally gotten a few days off so there has been lots of cooking!

Tonight I panfried some hake and had it with asparagus, paprika crushed potatoes and some dill beurre blanc. I wasn't in my own kitchen so not used to the pan and lost most of the skin of the fish :(

GwbGGDgl.jpg

Then afterwards I made some crème brulee which we had with fresh berries

hLPyqMRl.jpg

I also got a bit carried away during the week and ended up trying out some of the stuff I'd made during my internship; there's honeycomb, lime marshmallows and a hazelnut fudge.

1005876_4784386177388_1600952916_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Sorry, I just realised this pic's a tiny bit blurry...anyway we had roast beef today. Made it all myself and was sweating after it!
    Washed it all down with a glass of Merlot and it was delicious!

2ly34t5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

A simple light meal on Saturday night - chorizo, parma ham, gubeen cheese, cashel blue, brie and some red cheddar and a few other bits - all washed down with a lovely Malbec.

966B9DE0-7312-4B77-B1C4-CD38371DB388-5083-0000060A2C4B465A_zps54ce567e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A summer feast yesterday:
    Grilled beef and black pepper sausages, aubergine, courgette, red pointed peppers - all from Lidl. Tiny bit of leftover butternut squash, Aldi Mediterranean wholemeal wraps, romanesco sauce from the freezer. All done on the gas BBQ.

895V8T.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Just after having oven baked rainbow trout with garlic butter, sautéed new potatoes and steamed mangetout.
    The Cooking Club's Apple Tart is in the oven now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Bit of a mish-mash dinner; we had leftover roast chicken so I made stock from the bones/ fat/ skin and then made soup with a load of veg and spices. Threw in the leftover roasted sweet potatoes from yesterday's dinner at the end. Nice wintry dinner for an Irish summer :D

chickensoupjune2013_zpsb7c61f35.jpg

• Advertisement

Early dinner these days. Made Crispy chicken legs with creamy Dijon sauce, oven baked new potatoes and steamed garden peas.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Made chicken legs and cider casserole in the slow cooker. It was delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lisatu

We had a kind moussaka yesterday with garlic bread. I had spag bol to use up from freezer so used that and added aubergines to it like a moussaka and sauce and baked in the oven.

Tonight we had a chicken, ham and broccoli quiche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I made Japchae for the first time - very tasty stuff, and as far as I can make out, very healthy too. :)

iUJBQLp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No idea what to call this but it was damn tasty.

Pork mince fried with shallot, garlic and cubed courgette and ground coriander seed. Stock added and reduced to nothing. Lots of tomato concasse (peeled, deseeded chopped tomatoes) just warmed through. Lots of chives, flat leaf parsley, sage, mint, bunch of rocket, lemon zest, a little more garlic and toasted pinenuts added just before serving.
    Served with fried polenta.

Maybe I can call it super savoury mince?

5f2tLS.jpg

Last night we had Gordon Ramsay's Shepherd's Pie, with garlic ciabatta.

001_zps43315105.jpg

Tonight we're having San Bei Ji (Taiwanese 3-cup chicken) with a bit of kick from the dried chillies, just what I need for a dull day. Served with steamed rice.

002_zps5a1c497c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

^^^^ That chicken looks great, could you post the recipe please?

Last night we had home made meatballs, home made tomato sauce and spaghetti-really enjoyed it.

2gxmy5l.jpg

Last night we just had frozen pizza's and chips.

Tonight we had a sausage and lentil stew in the slow cooker. Throw everything in (bar the spinach) and forget about it for 5 hours.

^^^^ That chicken looks great, could you post the recipe please?

Sure thing. I'll put it up on the random recipe thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Tonight I made sweet potato fish cakes with salmon and cod. I went for a Moroccon feel with garlic, coriander seeds and leaves, ras el hanout spice and lemon juice. Served roasted spiced brocolli with it. It was really nice and definitely make it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Hangover fry after a birthday night out, very good but not the same as home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we are having chicken legs marinated in paprika, basil, salt, thyme, cayenne pepper, rosemary, onion granules, lemon juice, olive oil and pepper, will pan fry them and then throw them into the oven for a while.

Will serve with spuds, need to get some vegetables tomorrow!

Tonight we had roasted chicken leg in spices, with steamed veg.

011_zps7be10005.jpg

Dessert was bread and butter pudding. Looks a bit dry there unfortunately due to milk shortage, but poured over a mountain of custard to make up for it :)
    010_zps12f474bc.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Tonight we had roasted chicken leg in spices, with steamed veg.

No peas? :eek:
    I had peas tonight - with mash and fish fingers (a very lazy dinner).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Bit of a mish-mash dinner; we had leftover roast chicken so I made stock from the bones/ fat/ skin and then made soup with a load of veg and spices. Threw in the leftover roasted sweet potatoes from yesterday's dinner at the end. Nice wintry dinner for an Irish summer :D

That looks delicious, do you mind telling me what spices you added? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Last nignt I had pineapple, sweetcorn and extra cheese pizza! :)

Tonight/this evening I had homemade chicken curry and some red wine! :D

No peas? :eek:

Not tonight:o Threw the last of them into the kids' lunch today.

Tonight we had a chicken and chorizo stew with polenta.

• Advertisement

Tonight we had grilled salmon with spiced coconut cream sauce, stir fried broccoli with crayfish, and fluffy rice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement