Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lisatu

Tonight I made Chicken lo Mein and have left overs for lunch tomorrow. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had slow cooked beef stew. I've never cooked it in July before, but it was such a miserable day we really enjoyed it.
    We had rhubarb & strawberry tart with custard afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I made goats cheese and roasted beetroot salad with lambs lettuce and carrots. Mmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

A very green-lacking plate this evening of rib-eye steak with sauteed onion and mushroom, fried egg and instant pepper sauce...

030_zps9d60aa7b.jpg

with homemade chips

029_zpsad2cba17.jpg

strawberries and blueberries for dessert so I didn't really feel that bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Tuna, butterbean, red pepper and red onion salad.

261096.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 LauraStar

Ooh, Mrs Fox, how did you make those chips??

Whenever I try and make homemade chips, they stick to the bottom, I’ve tried using lots of oil, using tinfoil, cooking them slowly, but they also end up a mess because I have to scrape them off the bottom of the dish!

LauraStar wrote: »
    Ooh, Mrs Fox, how did you make those chips??

Whenever I try and make homemade chips, they stick to the bottom, I’ve tried using lots of oil, using tinfoil, cooking them slowly, but they also end up a mess because I have to scrape them off the bottom of the dish!

I double cooked the chips.
    I first soak the chips in cold salted water for about half an hour, to get rid of the starch. Then I steam them for 15 minutes, and let it dry.
    Heat a large pot with a lot of oil, on high, and fry the chips in batches.
    It'll only take about 3-4 minutes.

In the past I've also used the method of parboiling the chips on low temperature oil, then later high heat as above. I do find that the chips tend to soak up the oil a bit more.
    The steaming method gives you the same result without having to double cook it in oil -- soft on the inside, crunchy on the outside.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Tonight's dinner.

Cottage pie.

This is a deceptively small pie dish, it's enough for one (big) serving on it's own or two decent servings with a salad or other side dish of some sort, be being lazy and hungry had it by myself.

Behold my beauty, in all it's gratinated glory.

2qu2m50.jpg

And a wee glimpse at the wonders within.

9tzout.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

One of my favourite summer meals:
    Rare steak, new potatoes with butter, dressed green salad. Glass of red wine. Espresso.

7w997S.jpg

I got an araignée steak from O' Mahony's butchers in The English Market, Cork.
    Twas only €15.50/Kg and it was delicious. I do love the way they experiment with cuts of meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Seaneh wrote: »
    Tonight's dinner.

Cottage pie.

This is a deceptively small pie dish, it's enough for one (big) serving on it's own or two decent servings with a salad or other side dish of some sort, be being lazy and hungry had it by myself.

Behold my beauty, in all it's gratinated glory.

And a wee glimpse at the wonders within.

Congratinulations! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Independence Day dinner......

Southern Baked Chicken, mash, sweet corn with coleslaw and gravy.....
    null_zpsfca08fb5.jpg

I made american biscuits as well but they were snatched as soon as they hit the table. Here's a pic I took earlier...

null_zps0f8dd0db.jpg

Finished with Brownies, strawberries and whipped cream (Confession: I bought the cream whipped! ;))

null_zps70ed1e83.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LauraStar

Cheers Mrs Fox, looking forward to having a crack at making those chips!

No where near the glorious dinner Gloomtastic made there, but nevertheless keeps the wolf from the door.
    Southern oven baked chicken with coleslaw, corn on the cob, chippies and gravy.

002_zpsc99b2bd5.jpg

Dessert was brownies and cream, minus the strawberries

001_zps15ba9b41.jpg

I made american biscuits as well but they were snatched as soon as they hit the table.

What are they like exactly? I've always been curious about them biscuits

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    What are they like exactly? I've always been curious about them biscuits

What we would call scones basically. Go really well covered in butter and dipped in gravy.

Thanks Mrs Fox. Got the idea for the coleslaw and brownies from your post in my thread yesterday. Never made brownies before, chocolate overload! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭HelpImAlive

What we would call scones basically. Go really well covered in butter and dipped in gravy.

Thanks Mrs Fox. Got the idea for the coleslaw and brownies from your post in my thread yesterday. Never made brownies before, chocolate overload! ;)

The gravy looks delicious! Did you make it yourself?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's more like a really soft scone though, more bready.

Seaneh wrote: »
    It's more like a really soft scone though, more bready.

Buscuit recipe here
    http://southern.food.com/recipe/southern-buttermilk-biscuits-26110

Gravy Recipe:
    Tablespoon of plain flour
    Teaspoon of paprika
    Teaspoon of garlic powder
    2 Teaspoons of mixed herbs

Mix together.

After you've baked the chicken, put chicken in a dish and cover with foil. Take all the scrapings from the baking tray and add to a medium pan. Add two tablespoons of sunflower oil and heat. Add the flour mix above and stir for two minutes. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in 250ml of chicken stock. Then whisk in 250ml of milk.
    Bring to boil and simmer for a couple of
    mins.

Enjoy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Had bacon, mushroom and leek in a creamy rosemary and fennel seed sauce served over roast potatoes.

261241.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I went out for dinner last night & had a real treat of a 350g bison rib eye on a hot stone. Served with pommes allumettes, bearnaise sauce (with a hint of vanilla which was interesting) & a selection of herb butters; accompanied by a Humagne Rouge.

No time to take pics as I was starving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Something light for the day that's in it.

vqhdty.jpg

Lamb leg steak, fried new potatoes, grilled tomatoes, rocket. Happy.

5aRizf.jpg

On my own tonight, and felt like having a Koka.

039_zps7d7d4aea.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Chickpea curry with spiced veg rice. Added fresh mint and coriander just before serving and it made a real difference to the flavour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lets be honest, no one really likes cooking in this heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Made the mistake of doing a roast today..roast beef and all the trimmings.
    We were both struggling to eat it what with the heat outside and the heat of the oven.
    Tomorrow we'll have salad instead!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

fussyonion wrote: »
    We were both struggling to eat it what with the heat outside and the heat of the oven.

I had a gang for dinner yesterday and cooked 2 stuffed chickens - the heat in the kitchen almost killed me.
    Tonight we had barbecue. Much easier, even if I did have to do the donkey work while Himself posed out by the barbie :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

mike65 wrote: »

So true - I love cooking and even I refuse to start doing anything towards prepping dinner until after eight and then only if what I want to cooks takes a maximum of twenty minutes prep work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Heh, I have to cook in that heat all the time!

The grill and the barbecue do get more of a look in, as do salads and quick n easy starches like couscous, quinoa, so on.

I've discovered my local supermarket do excellent pork chops - loin, on the bone, skin on. They're excellent grilled or barbecued, with a quinoa salad with a little sesame oil and some cherry tomatoes. I also try to grill apple slices to have with them - can't get cooking apples or bramleys here, so use red delicious instead.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    fussyonion wrote: »

With Mrs Beer being away, my parents invited me around for a Sunday roast. While I would have done something other than a roast with all the roast veg and gravy, the leg of lamb was delicious and I enjoyed the meal much more than I'd expected. Ate at about 6.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement