Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    On my own tonight, and felt like having a Koka.

You make them look great.
    I haven't had Koka (or anyone remember Goodtaste noodles?) in years. Mrs beer keeps buying posh noodles in the Asian shops - they are nice, though - they come in long packets (like a small pack of spaghetti) with the soup mix but also an oil sachet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

You make them look great.
    I haven't had Koka (or anyone remember Goodtaste noodles?) in years. Mrs beer keeps buying posh noodles in the Asian shops - they are nice, though - they come in long packets (like a small pack of spaghetti) with the soup mix but also an oil sachet.

Maggi Instant Noodles are my firm favourite. I'd normally have them in stock but I haven't been to the Asian store for a while now so Koka was an ok stand in.
    maggi2minute_zps44bfe25d.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Last night we had pizza, BBQ flavour ribs and hot chicken wings.

Tonight we are having lamb chops with a few home made chips and some salad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Early cold tea - sliced pork, potatoes and peas! Ice cream for afters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Roast squash with beetroot, feta, bacon & toasted seeds.

2b5061b3-3031-4cf2-819f-0717b9ad7a9d_zps2e7cbbb5.jpg

(Heat in kitchen with oven on for squash nearly floored me and reduced cat to full on stretch out on coldest part of tiles. No more roast things for a while!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I've been eating salads all week on account of the heat! Here's a simple tuna salad from last night with a slice of garlic bread
    BBD6F2C1-329F-445B-BE38-882328D0F320-1979-000003CF9B0B90B2_zps0f57605b.jpg

(Gas)BBQd/Grilled lamb leg kebabs, tabouleh (minus the bulgar wheat), hummus (not my best hummus - in fact my worst), Aldi Mediterranean wholemeal wraps, pickles. Red wine. In the Garden. Nice!

5dTL3w.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night there were 8 of us. We had marinated pork steaks cooked on the barbecue with roasted baby potatoes and peppers, onions, and tomatoes roasted in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Pavlova and key lime pie, both home made, for dessert.
    It's so nice being able to eat outdoors these evenings :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Mammington is roasting chicken legs right now. Yes... roasting.

BUT once done, they can eaten in all manner of wonderful room temperature or cold ways. :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Went to the farmer's market in Mahon Point today and picked up a tub of the most gorgeous basil pesto. Had it for dinner, stirred into cold spaghetti and cold roasted chicken. Absolutely delicious, and a perfect meal for a hot summer's eve.

Washed down by a couple of gin & tonics :D. It's a hot day, it's important to have cold drinks :D

• Advertisement

I'm really loving our new local butcher Brady's -- they've opened up a deli with freshly made salads and bread, and they're really fabulous. So we've been having salads everyday this week, lunch and dinner.
    Tonight I felt like having my soy garlic roasted chicken (nothing wrong with roasting in this weather, surely not?:rolleyes: ), with the deli's three salads -- broccoli peanut, chorizo pasta and potato salad.

066_zps37b45785.jpg

I'm really loving our new local butcher Brady's

Fairview & Dorset Street Brady's?

Fairview & Dorset Street Brady's?

Same crowd, they took over a previous butcher premise in Newcastle late last year. Lovely, lovely people.

Same crowd, they took over a previous butcher premise in Newcastle late last year. Lovely, lovely people.

Oh, I love their stuff! (Used to live in Lower Drumcondra) And they really know their shít too. :cool:

Tonight we had rib eye steaks with a few home made chips and some salad.

No pics but last night had a couple of friends around and I did a Tri Tip steak rare on the gas BBQ. Left to rest for half an hour and sliced it thickly - really, really good.
    To supplement this I did small skewers with chorizo and monkfish with a squeeze of lemon juice. Grilled red pepper (skinned), aubergine and courgette along with some rocket and mustard leaves provided the veg. Also had my ever-favourite Romanesco sauce and a little bit of a very spicy black bean stew I did earlier in the week. Nice crusty rustic baguette.
    I made white chocolate and coconut truffles for after but they didn't set so they had to be frozen truffles which made the pistachio and cardamom dusting go kinda soggy. Taste was good so I reckon I'll try to get them right in the future.
    Mojitos to start and wine and beer after.
    I love this weather!

Tonight we are having home made cheese burgers from the butchers along with some salad, and beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Didn't take a picture because I forgot...

We had a mixed salad, grilled mackerel (God how I love mackerel) and a small portion of golden savoury rice, all washed down with an ice cold glass of Sancerre.
    Delicious and so light on a day like today!

Tonight we are having chicken breasts, salad and potatoes.

I got some chicken breasts in the butchers, stuffed with broccoli, cheese and onion, and I put some crushed garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil and hot paprika on it.

Will serve with mashed potatoes and salad leaves.

Going to devour it when its ready, couldn't eat much with the heat today so really looking forward to a nice meal soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Tonight I made use chicken fajitas. Very simple and very tasty. Much nicer than the fajitas I had in Hard Rock cafe over the weekend!

• Advertisement

Lettuce, rocket and mustard leaf salad with onion, tomato, cucumber, pinenuts baby broad beans and chicken thighs with chives and sweet sherry vinegar.

4DrvDv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

We've been eating loads of salad lately and I'm loving it. Various combinations of cous-sous, potato, pasta, bread, lettuce, rocket, mozzarella, coleslaw, beetroot, carrot, sweetcorn, chicken, turkey and even pork chops.

Here's a sample:
    262942.jpg

BDJW wrote: »
    Tonight I made use chicken fajitas. Very simple and very tasty. Much nicer than the fajitas I had in Hard Rock cafe over the weekend!

What's your recipe? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Right, apologies for no photo..the OH was out with the camera.
    I thought I'd share what I think is the nicest recipe for Spaghetti Bolognese I've tasted so far, and it's all my own creation.

It doesn't require many ingredients but it was absolutely delicious and we even went back for seconds!

INGREDIENTS

500g lean mince beef
    1 onion, diced
    2 cloves of garlic, crushed
    1 tin of chopped plum tomatoes
    1 green pepper, diced
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon Worcester Sauce
    150ml beef stock
    Salt, black pepper
    Dried oregano, dried basil, dried marjoram
    1 tablespoon tomato puree

1) Add a glug of olive oil to a saucepan, wait til hot, then add the onion and garlic. Saute over a low heat until golden and soft.
    2) In a large pan, fry the mince until brown.
    3) Add the onion and garlic and stir well, then add everything else.
    4) Bring to the boil, then reduce and simmer for about 50 minutes with the lid on for the first 40 minutes.
    5) Serve with spaghetti.

I know there's probably going to be people out there who think it's missing something or it's not "Italian" enough, but I've tried a lot of recipes over the years, including ones using pancetta and red wine etc, but this was simple and so delicious and saucy!

I hope someone tries it and if so, let me know what you think!

Lovely long lunch in the garden today.
    Rare roast leg of lamb spiced with cumin, salt, pepper and mild chilli flakes; grilled red pepper, aubergine, courgette; couscous with tomatoes, dried apricots, toasted pinenuts, lemon zest, spicy lamb jus; coriander; salsa verde; leaf salad.
    Made a rhubarb tart for the first time - Mrs. Beer reckoned it was as good as my sister's but not quite up to my mum's! (I take that as high praise!).
    Irish cheese selection.

8c6KVA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Tucked in to quesadillas packed with slices of beef tomato, spicy chicken, peppers, salsa and a wee bit of low low cheese. Served with light sour cream for dipping and a plate of beef tomato slices with the tiniest bit of salt (would have eaten the plate of tomato on it's own)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had marinated pork steak cooked on the barbecue, boiled baby potatoes, and green beans tossed in an Italian herb salad dressing. It was delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

What's your recipe? :)

I actually cheat a bit and use a fajita kit :o, but it is very, very tasty. It is the Tesco fajita kit: http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=264129300

I chop 2 peppers into long thin strips, half an onion, and then either chicken or beef.
    Throw the peppers and onions into a wok and cook for about 3-4 minutes
    Add the chicken/beef
    Once meet is cooked, I add the seasoning, slowwly and mixing it in. I would only use about two thirds of the sachet
    Then I stick the wraps in the microwave for 1 minute

Serve with the salsa and cheese, and everybody is happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Chicken Salad with Iceberg, rocket, radish, yellow pepper, pickles and black olives.

F065D5BD-84BB-437F-9028-91EA233412C4-8639-00000C859ED8C078_zps5d6122cf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Silken chicken Tikka Kebab, Carrot Salad and some missing crusty bread.

First time having this in ages, really easy to do. Just a quick 5 hour soak, can't wait for the same again tomorrow with 24hrs+ in the fridge.

I'm pretty tempted to have another skewer!

XCvr4Rfl.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement