Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Piri-piri chicken wings with a rocket, tomato, avocado and feta cheese salad. Went a bit crazy with the scotch bonnets, so had to do up a yogurt/oregano/garlic dip to cool it down.

263357.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭dmc17

Quick and easy Thai Red Curry

DSC_0092_zps10b4c8d7.jpg

It's never too hot for a curry!

571c090716b8386060a02f7ae2dffd2e20e329ea.png?1334828452

• Administrators Posts: 53,853 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Lettuce, rocket and mustard leaf salad with onion, tomato, cucumber, pinenuts baby broad beans and chicken thighs with chives and sweet sherry vinegar.

This, like everything else you post in this thread looks amazing!

Have you ever considered posting up your various recipes in one thread? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

awec wrote: »

Thank you for your kind words.
    To be honest I'd think it a bit arrogant to dedicate a thread to my cooking - a sort of "look how fantastic I am" thread. I've seen other posters do it and I just think "write a blog - no one here asked for this" and often it is just to promote their blog anyway. I like the format of this thread. Also, sometimes my cooking involves elements left over from another dish or reduced homemade stock or jam or something so recipes can very quickly get very involved.
    I try to give quite a lot of detail in my descriptions and if anyone wants more detail, just ask and I'll stick it up here or in the random recipe thread.

• Administrators Posts: 53,853 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

To be honest I'd think it a bit arrogant to dedicate a thread to my cooking - a sort of "look how fantastic I am" thread. I've seen other posters do it and I just think "write a blog - no one here asked for this" and often it is just to promote their blog anyway. I like the format of this thread. Also, sometimes my cooking involves elements left over from another dish or reduced homemade stock or jam or something so recipes can very quickly get very involved.
    I try to give quite a lot of detail in my descriptions and if anyone wants more detail, just ask and I'll stick it up here or in the random recipe thread.

Can I have more detail for everything you've posted in this thread to date please? :pac:

Nah, seriously, I personally wouldn't find it arrogant or anything. You clearly have a talent for cooking, no shame in sharing it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

awec wrote: »

Forget the blog how about opening a cooking school I'd make a booking straight away , one day I might aspire to being as good .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Dinner was a bit of disaster. Had baked salmon fillet with mediterranean lemon and garlic sauce from Tesco's fish counter, which was very salty. With sautéed new potatoes which was alright. I was steaming carrots and asparagus, but forgot to refill boiling water into the wok once it was drying up. Now the wok's ruined, and the veg tasted burnt so I couldn't serve them.
    Mr Fox has now gone to the chipper for a battah boogah.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

My potato peeler broke the other day so I had to use a good old-fashioned knife and I was left with lots of thick-ish skins.

I thought it'd be a shame to throw them out, so I rinsed them and dried them and placed them in a baking tray.

Then I foraged in my cupboard and sprinkled on some olive oil, salt and black pepper AND some Schwartz Steak Seasoning and baked in the oven for 20 minutes.

They were delicious! Spicy and moreish!

2iu5g0n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭limnam

I agree, The beer blog is long long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Roasted butternut squash salad with feta, pine nuts, onions, garlic, parsley and lemon juice.

butternutsquashsalad2july2013_zps9ca38b49.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Prawns in a garlic, paprika and (well reduced) white wine sauce with cous cous and a grean salad. Nom!

Cannelloni with mixed salad. Very pleased as the lettuce and tomatoes are from our garden (see: balcony)!

cannelloniandsaladjuly2013_zpsba61b371.jpg

Cannelloni with mixed salad. Very pleased as the lettuce and tomatoes are from our garden (see: balcony)!

That cannelloni looks amazing......what is it exactly? :o

fussyonion wrote: »
    That cannelloni looks amazing......what is it exactly? :o

Twas 2 different types cooked in the dish together - one set of tubes filled with spinach and ricotta, the second filled with a rich bolognaise. Topped with tomato sauce and then bechemel sauce. Fair play to the OH - he made everything from scratch, which included fresh pasta, 2 types of fillings and 2 sauces. All I did was eat!!

Medium-rare fillet steak in a red wine & rosemary sauce, with super-charred sweet potato fondant (the char is the best bit and we always fight over the last bits in the pan!)

Feckin stuffed now. Choking down a glass of Cava :)

steakandsweetpotatofondantjuly2013_zpsd173698e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

Haven't posted dinner pictures in a while, there wasn't much interesting cooking going on in our kitchen the last few weeks. Today tho we had herbed lamb cutlets with roasted veg:

46AD5376BF884244BA618BDC4A1F47BA-0000353053-0003321914-00800L-E13EBB4FBD6F41C7BB838AC56C2DDE69.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Made a vegetable panang curry with jasmine rice. I used too much paste so was a little hot because I'm a bit of a wooze for heat but it was delicious. Made enough for tomorrow too which is a bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

No pictures, A. because they are not really very photogenic, and B. because they got eaten v. fast, but last night we dined upon home-made chip-shop style Doner Kebabs

And they were as deliciously gooey as the real thing, I highly recommend making them to all kebab fans out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Dinner was a bit of disaster. Had baked salmon fillet with mediterranean lemon and garlic sauce from Tesco's fish counter, which was very salty. With sautéed new potatoes which was alright. I was steaming carrots and asparagus, but forgot to refill boiling water into the wok once it was drying up. Now the wok's ruined, and the veg tasted burnt so I couldn't serve them.

Awww, hate when that happens. Not that exact thing, but I think everyone makes a bum dinner every once in a while. With a possible exception of The Beer Revolu. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Mrs Fox wrote: »

It took a minute for the penny to drop there, I thought Battah Boogah was some kind of Indian or Pakistani dish.

• Advertisement

Awww, hate when that happens. Not that exact thing, but I think everyone makes a bum dinner every once in a while. With a possible exception of The Beer Revolu. :D

I wish.
    I'm a very harsh self critic so I regularly have what I consider disasters!
    And every now and again, just outright disasters!

Been very busy lately so not really been cooking/photographing/posting very much.
    Couple of weeks ago I was on my own and in a major hurry so ended up having a big bowl of baby broad beans, sweetcorn , and peas (all frozen) with some lamb gravy. Not the worst fast food.

7qkdpX.jpg

Then last week I did shin beef rings, slow cooked in brandy and chicken jelly with lots of carrots. Served with pearl barley.

8bNM7T.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

Hi all.

Was hoping to attempt this at the weekend and just wanted some advice. It's a Nigel Slater receipe, and looks lovely as it but I was hoping someone with a bit more experience in this food would suggest a meat that could be added that would suit it. I would also thinking of some finely diced chilli, but I will try it alone with the harisaa first to see how it is.

DSCN0520.jpg

Recipe below -

ngredients
    2 red peppers, seeded and sliced
    10 cherry tomatoes, halved
    2 tsp harissa paste
    400g tin cooked chickpeas in water
    juice of 1/2 a lemon
    handful chopped coriander

Dry fry the peppers in a saucepan on a high heat until most of the pieces have a few charred specks on them. You’re not trying to burn them, just add a little roast pepper flavour to the stew.
    Turn the heat down and add the tomatoes.
    Stir for a couple of minutes as they release their juices.
    Add the harissa paste and stir to coat the peppers and tomatoes.
    Pour in the chickpeas including their water.
    Cover and cook for 15 minutes, then cook for 15 more minutes with the lid off.
    Pour in the lemon juice and stir in the chopped coriander.
    Season. It will take quite a lot of salt.
    Serve with cooked rice, couscous, quinoa or another grain.

EDIT: Mod, if this is unsuitable please delete, was just unsure where else to ask. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

^^^ I'd add chorizo to that. Chorizo and chickpea stew is delicious! Just throw the chopped chorizo in the pan with the peppers at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

^^^ I'd add chorizo to that. Chorizo and chickpea stew is delicious! Just throw the chopped chorizo in the pan with the peppers at the start.

Nice one, thanks again. I'll try that as soon as I assemble the goods ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Chorizo would be my first choice too.

Alternatively you could pick up some nice flavoured (either Spicy, herbed or Toulouse) sausages - quite the comfort meal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Chicken done in tomato and garlic sauce and oven roast chips. Sorry about the bad picture it is my first

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Grilled halloumi, courgette chips and a tomato salad.

265121.jpg

• Advertisement

Is halloumi nice? I've never had it. What does it taste like?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement