Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

B0jangles wrote: »
    Basically, yes - but the lidl stuff has pickles, mustard etc etc added into the mix, it's very tasty.
    vicwatson wrote: »
    Thought that was Marie-Rose sauce no?

Not sure, actually! :) When we lobbed ketchup and mayo together we called it burger sauce but I have no idea if we were right!

RasTa wrote: »
    Crappy photo but a lovely Kenyan Coconut Curry(Kuku Paka) thanks to the curry bible. Super easy to make the paste and most ingredients you will have at home anyway so just add chicken.

Everyone should own this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Madhur-Jaffreys-Ultimate-Curry-Bible/dp/0091874157/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375986923&sr=8-1&keywords=curry+bible

Second thing you've posted in less than a week that I'm going to be requiring some alone time with. Where's the drooling emote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

B0jangles wrote: »
    Absolutely!

There is one ingredient that might be hard to get at the moment; it's the "American-style Hamburger sauce" Lidl sells whenever they are doing their American food specials - it is a really perfect substitute for the pink sauce you get in the kebab shop. It's worth checking your local Lidl now though, mine still had a few bottles up til a week or so ago.

Anyway, you start with making the kebab meat thusly:

1 lb lamb mince
    2 cloves crushed garlic
    1.5 tsp ground oregano
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp salt
    3/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
    Pinch of cayenne pepper
    Add 1-2 tsp marjoram (to taste) and 1-2 tsp mint (to taste)
    I have fresh oregano so I always chop up a couple of sprigs and add them too, in addition to the drieds stuff.

Mix it all up in a big bowl until the meat is nice and squidgy and let it rest for a couple of hours.
    When you are ready to cook, form the meat into a rectangular loaf shape and put in on tinfoil on a baking tray.

Cook at around 180 (fan) / 200 (no fan) for about 45mins -1 hour or until it is cooked through. Those times are a bit of a guess since I always divide the meat into two batches so the loaves I cook are halfsize.

To serve you need:

Fresh pitas (Aldis are the best I think - less chewy than the other brands)
    Thinly sliced white cabbage
    Thinly sliced raw onion
    Garlic sauce (Can be got in tesco)
    Lidl hamburger sauce

Split your pita and heat in gently in the microwave.
    Stuff it with cabbage and onions
    Top that with hamburger sauce
    Top with thinly sliced kebab meat
    More hamburger sauce
    Garlic sauce

Either stuff into face immediately or wrap in tinfoil and leave in warm oven for 10-15 minutes to sort of warm through completely, then stuff into face.

Repeat as necessary.

:D

Edit: this is the sauce I mean:

I'll be giving it a go!!! Thanks for the tips!

I'm living in Canada so the sauce shouldn't be a problem
    Isn't burger sauce just ketchup and mayonnaise mixed together?

The version mentioned with the pickles etc would make BigMc sauce, or Heinz Hamburger sauce (though it hasn't got the bits), in the kebab shops they always refer to it as taco sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

My absolute favourite perfume! I wouldn't gargle with it though. Sorry your dinner wasn't great after all the effort - I hate when that happens.

Me too!
    It's on special in boots at the mo. €60 down to €40.

Last night we went out for a Mexican.
    A selection of Tapa's, it was gorgeous.

4994844B-A989-497E-B01F-2B936912514C-2334-000002190A5768F1_zps5b33fb97.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Looks gorgeous Loopy. Is that 777?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had a very strange dinner last night. I was watching Celebrity Masterchef the other night on BBC, and the chef guy John Torode was doing the taste challenge where he makes a dish and the contestants have to make it themselves without seeing how it was made.

It was Indian Spiced Chicken Meatballs with Pappardelle and a Cream and Lime Pickle Sauce. I just took notes as I was watching it. It wasn't great though, very confused dish. The Lime Pickle was very harsh.

I hope this isn't the type of stuff he cooks in his own restaurants.

Looks gorgeous Loopy. Is that 777?

No, it's La Sirena in Malahide.. :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Had a very strange dinner last night. I was watching Celebrity Masterchef the other night on BBC, and the chef guy John Torode was doing the taste challenge where he makes a dish and the contestants have to make it themselves without seeing how it was made.

It was Indian Spiced Chicken Meatballs with Pappardelle and a Cream and Lime Pickle Sauce. I just took notes as I was watching it. It wasn't great though, very confused dish. The Lime Pickle was very harsh.

Heh, we did exactly the same thing last night, and weren't convinced by the sauce either. It just needed something to balance the bitterness introduced by the lime pickle.

meatballs-papardelle.jpg

BaZmO* wrote: »

A misguided attempt at fusion, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Yesterday we had a tribute to Eid (Eid Mubarak to those celebrating, by the way) and had typical Eid dishes as they do in Malaysia -- cooked Lamb Rendang, served with Nasi Impit (compressed rice cubes) and spicy satay sauce courtesy of Yeo's, straight from the jar. I would've cooked this from scratch if we had people over, but since it's just us...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Heh, we did exactly the same thing last night, and weren't convinced by the sauce either. It just needed something to balance the bitterness introduced by the lime pickle.

Ha! That's mad.

I'd never heard of lime pickle and was really excited about trying it, but for me (and especially the OH) it just didn't work.

I still have some more of the meatballs left for tonight's dinner but I'll have them with rice and make some kind of sauce to go with them.

The meatballs were nice but I think I'd reduce the fennel next time, I think a half tsp would be more than enough. I also forget to add the herbs :rolleyes: even though I'd bought them, don't think it made a huge difference though.

I might make some more of the meatballs over the weekend to use up the herbs, but I think I'll use a little less milk with the bread as they were very wet and hard to form into balls, and I'd also reduce the fennel. I reckon they'd make really nice Shish style kebabs.

A misguided attempt at fusion, perhaps?

Yeah I'd say, but it's the type of thing I'd imagine he'd slate the contestants for. Just makes you wonder about his tastebuds.

Sure only one contestant got that it was chicken, the rest all did pork didn't they.
    I was thinking of trying it too, don't think I'll bother now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we had pork chops, boiled new potatoes with butter and creamed spinach.

I used this recipe, but had no shallots so used a full white onion. The sauce was salty so I would cut down on the stock next time, or else find an alternative recipe which doesn't have stock in it.

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2012/06/pepper-seared-pork-chops-with-whiskey-cream-sauce.html

It was delicious, and something I would definitely make again.

All washed down with Jameson and coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Grilled chicken thighs, grilled plum tomatoes, fried courgettes from the garden, fried polenta cake, rosé wine lemon and thyme jus.

82Y83y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Was too hungover to cook a laborious dinner, so I tossed some cooked spaghetti in garlicky olive oil and served with cherry tomatoes and fresh basil. Will be making again! Possibly with less of a hangover next time.

spaghettiwithgarlicoil_zpse6017904.jpg

Chicken tikka masala with rice & homemade oven chips. Overdid the chilli so there was a damn good kick off it.
    Ridiculously large portion but hadn't eaten all day so was totes justified.

82AA103A-18C5-40E0-BEDA-92012DF3FB96-6023-00000395651EACAB_zpsebcb29df.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Loopy wrote: »
    Chicken tikka masala with rice & homemade oven chips. Overdid the chilli so there was a damn good kick off it.
    Ridiculously large portion but hadn't eaten all day so was totes justified.

You should have sent a portion over to Homemadecider :p

(looks delicious by the way! especially those chips)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Went veggie tonight for the first time in years, inspired by C4's Italian night on Sunday.

http://scrapbook.channel4.com/bookmarkBar/5204f961e4b076c79f845110

3 year old kept on robbing my bread for dipping, lovely little dish.

55vjjGpl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Little cheeseburgers with plastic cheese, pickles, onion & tomato. Also crinkle cut chips. So much excellent goop

c0da19ef-e248-4f14-87f4-6eeae8a466cf_zps13f11dca.jpg

b67e3b7e-5ec1-4099-a328-76b27d045534_zps0a9f2ece.jpg

Oven baked cod with Cayenne pepper and Chorizo, red chilli cous cous with sauteed balsamic red peppers and steamed green beans.

62B67AAE-50B1-4B7D-8ABB-B0D266DC2417-3282-000003574DCEDCDB_zps8d0e4251.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Earliest dinner ever (long day for Seaneh today)!.

Tuna two ways.

Seared with a honey, soy and Sriracha glaze and sashimi style in a salad, I thought it would be a shame to just sear it all as it looked so tasty.

Picked up a few hundredg of sushi grade Yellowfin at a really good price from the new fishmonger in Athlone today and couldn't want to tuck in!

Eating as I type, it's only bloody epic.

1148985_10151783369126294_148797279_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

Picked up a few hundredg of sushi grade Yellowfin at a really good price from the new fishmonger in Athlone today and couldn't want to tuck in!

. Where's he in town. Near KFC?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

chicken tikka lasagne and creamy mash, yeah I love my mash! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

mondymike wrote: »

. Where's he in town. Near KFC?

Nah across from the Sheraton.

Turkey, chili and chorizo meatballs (seasoned) with kidney beans and bell peppers in a chili tomato sauce. Served with spaghetti and mozzarella!

Will be having this again for lunch today at work.

5471F794-D912-432E-A950-880AAE1B4800-4352-000004BC2DA62F03_zps23c3177e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Because I live abroad, coming back to Ireland for the Summer, I always make a point of devouring copious quantities of seafood.

Last night I did scallops and Clonakilty black pudding on a bed of tomato and herb risotto, followed by grilled hake (just the way I like it, dry) with a range of vegetables (asparagus, courgettes, olives, tomatoes, garlic and red onion), done in a white wine, thyme and lemon sauce. Damn nice, if I do say so myself.

The herb risotto was a bit of a cheat - I used Uncle Ben's microwave stuff. :o Wasn't too bad, would have preferred the creamy risotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Suckler

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Because I live abroad, coming back to Ireland for the Summer, I always make a point of devouring copious quantities of seafood.

Plannig the same for an upcoming return trip - any recommended suppliers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Went to Bunsen Burger last night, cheeseburger & handcut chips, awesome. Would have gotten the sweet potato chips but thought at €4.95 a go they were a complete rip.

Went to Bunsen Burger last night, cheeseburger & handcut chips, awesome. Would have gotten the sweet potato chips but thought at €4.95 a go they were a complete rip.

I don't understand some of the prices in Dublin for sweet potato chips. I mean, sweet potatoes are more expensive than the regular potato but not substantial enough of a difference to warrant 4.95!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Suckler wrote: »
    Plannig the same for an upcoming return trip - any recommended suppliers?

I went to the Fish market in Maynooth, they also have a place in Mullingar.

If you want it served up to you, I would recommend The Lobster Pot in Ballsbridge. Expensive, but top class seafood restaurant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement