Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

tmc86 wrote: »
    I don't understand some of the prices in Dublin for sweet potato chips. I mean, sweet potatoes are more expensive than the regular potato but not substantial enough of a difference to warrant 4.95!

They're still somewhat of a novelty, and restaurants are cashing in on that.

I would hate a plate of sweet tatties chips myself, far too sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

tmc86 wrote: »
    I don't understand some of the prices in Dublin for sweet potato chips. I mean, sweet potatoes are more expensive than the regular potato but not substantial enough of a difference to warrant 4.95!

Restaurants really must charge a special 'novelty chip' levy on them. Love sweet potato chips but not at twice the price of regular ones.

Tonight's dinner was a barbacoa burrito from Tolteca

Covers my feelings on it.

Tonight's dinner was a barbacoa burrito from Tolteca

Better than Boojum? (which I'm not mad about)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I think Tolteca matches Boojum (which I love) for taste, but their portions are scabby. In the last few weeks I've had a burrito bowl from both places. I reckon the one from Boojum was double the serving. And Tolteca was more expensive!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Tonight I had a pulled pork hash that I completely forgot to take pictures of. Fried onions and garlic in a frying pan, added in parboiled cubes of potatoes and fried together until crispy. After about 15 minutes, I added in pulled pork and fried until reheated. Set that aside, fried some eggs, and served a fried egg with each portion of hash. It was delicious!

• Advertisement

I think Tolteca matches Boojum (which I love) for taste, but their portions are scabby. In the last few weeks I've had a burrito bowl from both places. I reckon the one from Boojum was double the serving. And Tolteca was more expensive!

D2/D4, baby! ;)

Faith wrote: »
    Tonight I had a pulled pork hash that I completely forgot to take pictures of. Fried onions and garlic in a frying pan, added in parboiled cubes of potatoes and fried together until crispy. After about 15 minutes, I added in pulled pork and fried until reheated. Set that aside, fried some eggs, and served a fried egg with each portion of hash. It was delicious!

That sounds like greasy heaven.

That sounds like greasy heaven.

It actually wasn't greasy at all, in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

That sounds SO amazing! Want.

It actually wasn't greasy at all, in the end!

Yeah, sorry, that wasn't meant to sound insulting, it's actually one of my favourite meals. (the meat differs depending on leftovers)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Better than Boojum? (which I'm not mad about)

Haven't been in Boojum for ages but from my hazy memories they are equally tasty. I love Tolteca's chipotle salsa, burny goodness

Yeah, sorry, that wasn't meant to sound insulting, it's actually one of my favourite meals. (the meat differs depending on leftovers)

Don't worry, I took it the way you meant it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭piscesgirl1

Thai fish cakes with roast potatoes & salad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm not a big fan of soup, although I do like Minestrone.
    I was looking up some recipes this week and came across this one by Simon Rimmer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/homemademinestrone_93768

I made it today & it was DELICIOUS!

It was a little bit thick halfway through, but that's 'cos I misread the amount of stock. I put in a pint when it required a litre, so I had to add more water, but it was delicious and I reckon it'll be even nicer tomorrow!

2ey9n3c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Lamb stew for dinner last night. It has to be my fave stew, so bloody delicious.

Plenty left for lunch today and tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi Faith,
    That sounds delicious...how did you do the pulled pork bit?
    Thanks,
    Loire.

Loire wrote: »
    Hi Faith,
    That sounds delicious...how did you do the pulled pork bit?
    Thanks,
    Loire.

I followed this recipe, up until the sauce bit. I just used barbeque sauce because I don't like strong vinegar flavours. I used the leftovers for the hash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I followed this recipe, up until the sauce bit. I just used barbeque sauce because I don't like strong vinegar flavours. I used the leftovers for the hash.

Thankyou!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not Cornish "Pasty" (Deise pasty?)

Beef chunks, potato bits, onion in puff pastry

2n709dg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I made this for dinner today, again, had no shallots, so used a red onion. For the stock I used about a pea size portion of a stock pot and a pinch of chicken powder and it was much nicer, no saltiness at all.

Would definitely make again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lemon and thyme slow roast pork belly with ribs and crackling; roast carrots, beetroot and garlic; mustardy baked, riced and baked again potatoes; kale; lemon, thyme, beer, pork jus.
    Rhubarb tart/pie with custard.

Kale, beetroot, garlic and rhubarb all from garden.

5h943F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

A very mild Kung Pao Chicken, with stir-fried broccoli, steamed rice and chiu chow chilli oil on the side.

0062_zpse0062a05.jpg

Could I have the recipe for your Kung Pao, Mrs Fox?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭dmc17

Stir fried chicken noodles

Noodles_zps87e8a377.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Could I have the recipe for your Kung Pao, Mrs Fox?

I used this recipe that I put up on the Ingredients of the Week thread last year, replacing prawns for 3 fillets of chicken breast. I reduced the amount of dried chillies and sichuan peppercorns for tonight's dinner as the big daughter can only handle mild heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

On Monday night I made a chicken, bacon and mushroom pasta in a cream sauce and served with garlic ciabatta bread.

3b9fc877-8b7c-41c2-a10b-beef97e23047_zps484f80e3.jpg

Last night I had a small dinner of Sea Bass in a creamy garlic mushroom sauce served with green beans.

731d8d81-91ee-4da2-a555-80b41d66ed8d_zpsdcdbbb7e.jpg

Red lentil soup with fresh mint and sumac.
    Followed by a lamb mince concoction with: lamb, onion, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander seed, fennel seed, black pepper, chilli flakes, saffron, reduced stock and fried courgette. Then just before serving, I stirred in : tomato concassé; toasted pinenuts; freshly chopped: marjoram, flat leaf parsley, mint, chives and rocket; sumac. Served with Aldi wholemeal Mediterranean wraps.

6y2dXu.jpg

6ZyL9s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

The beer revolu could I have the recipe for red lentil soup please I have a shed full of them as my son is a vegetarian ta !!!!

No recipe but here's what I did.
    Soak a bowl of red lentils for a few hours. (maybe 200 - 300 gms).
    Fry, on a lowish heat, an onion a carrot and a stick of celery in a little olive oil until getting soft then add a clove of garlic and a half teaspoon of cumin seeds and fry for a minute more. Add in your lentils and top up with water till lentils are a bit more than covered. I put in a knor chicken stock pot thingy at this point but you could use veg stock cube/pot too.
    Simmer for 10 - 15 minutes until lentils are cooked. Throw in a half teaspoon of sweet paprika and some chilli flakes, if you like and blend. Check seasoning.
    The sumac was lovely in it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Got a piece of tuna from the fishmongers. Think it was 120 grams.

Anyhoos, fried it both sides under golden using the low-fat spray oil, and then cut it in half.

Chopped up 65 grams (the half) of it, and put it in a small bowl along with a raw egg, some garlic, and salt and black pepper. Mixed it up, and fried it. Served it with spuds. Shall be having the other half tomorrow, as it was delish. Typically didn't like tuna.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement