Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

We are having roast beer chicken tonight, cannot wait. It's been ages since we had it so I'm really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I went out fishing yesterday and caught 5 decent sized mackrel.

So I had Chilli, Garlic, Lemon Mackrel with fried Chorizo, lemon and red onion Potatoes, garnished with loads of fresh parsley.

Damn it was tasty !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Last night I tried out one of those recipes from Lidl's weekly brochure -- Tannery Roast Chicken with crispy bacon in red wine vinegar. Very tasty indeed; served with roast potatoes, garden peas and corn on the cob.

0013_zpsb0bbb460.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Last night we had salmon with a herb crust, roasted baby potatoes and broccoli, followed by jam doughnut muffins from the cooking club. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Had me some lasagne...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Yesterday we had smoky BBQ baked beans with butter, cannelloni and aduki beans. I put some BBQ sausages from lidl in it. So glad I found smoked paprika last week. It was really delicious
    Today we had baked cod, rice and basil and balsamic cherry tomatoes. It was simple but really tasty

Tonight we had a spicy Mexican chicken and 3 bean stew with rice, sour cream and grated cheddar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

A quick and lazy supper of fish, peas and potato skins. The first time I have made batter and deep fried something in years. Damn it was tasty

GVTnR2il.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Not really dinner, more of a snack between 3 of us. Came back from the cinema with a few friends, hungry but not wanting dinner.

I had some chicken already cooked in the fridge and peppers and onions chopped so I threw them on the pan and heated up Franks, butter and herbs. Then chucked it on a plate.

Quick and easy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've had a longing for hash since Faith made it, and the only cooked meat I had in the fridge was thickly cut shop-bought corned beef so I used that. It was delicious and I'll definitely be making it again - and again! Thanks Faith :)

op09bd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

^^^ I'd love to break that yolk... That looks really tasty, Dizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I have four excellent looking duck eggs in my fridge. This is a good thing. I think there's going to be a potato cake and a poached duck egg in the offing...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Tonight we had Angus sirloin steaks from Aldi's Specially Selected range, seasoned and griddled, served with fried onions and mushrooms, carrots, creamy mashed potatoes, crispy roast potatoes and gravy.

2f0617a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

fussyonion wrote: »
    Tonight we had Angus sirloin steaks from Aldi's Specially Selected range, seasoned and griddled, served with fried onions and mushrooms, carrots, creamy mashed potatoes, crispy roast potatoes and gravy.

Love the old skool scoops of mash. My mammy does them that way! :)

Love the old skool scoops of mash. My mammy does them that way! :)

Haha! We always have scoops, it's the only way :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

First ever post in here

Spicy Italian Sausage Rigatoni (OK I cheated, there was no Rigatoni in the shop so I used Penne Rigate instead). It is slightly better with Rigatoni as the sauce fills the tubes a lot more. It is a real Italian recipe I got from a colleague so I'll post it if anyone is interested.

Before Baking.....

before_baking.jpg

Before Devouring.....

after_baking.jpg

Quick and Easy Ingredients & Recipe for above

5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
    2/3 crushed cloves of garlic
    Half a white onion very finely chopped
    Large red bell pepper finely chopped
    400g of tomato and basil sauce
    300g of sun-dried tomato sauce
    500g of good quality pork sausage/spicy Italian sausage
    6 finely copped cayenne peppers (increased or decreased depending on sausages used)
    500g of Rigatoni pasta
    200g of grated mozzarella, 200g of gratted ricotta, 200g of grated parmesan
    2 tablespoons fresh basil finely chopped.

Preparation
    In a dish or bowl chop the sausages into small pieces, drizzle with 2 tbs oil and mix with chopped chilli peppers. Roll the chilli into the sausage if you want.

Cooking
    Add 3 tbs of oil to large skillet or wok
    Add garlic and onion and soften nicely over medium heat.
    Add sausage/oil/chilli mix and mix well
    Add the chopped red bell pepper when the sausage is almost cooked and mix for 3-4 mins
    Add the tomato sauce and sundried tomato and mix well for 3-4 mins
    Add 100g of mozzarella, 100g of ricotta and 50g of parmesan and mix well
    When you have a nice consistent mix of all ingredients reduce the heat and let simmer
    Preheat your oven to 180degC
    Boil the pasta in a large pot of salted water
    Drain the pasta well and leave sit for a minute or two
    Transfer the sausage/sauce mix from the skillet/wok to the pot the pasta was boiled in and then re-add the pasta.
    Add 1 tablespoon of basil and mix well.

Transfer the complete mix to a large baking dish, even out the top and try to have a nice covering of sauce at the top also.
    Sprinkle the last 100g of mozza and ricotta and tablespoon of basil over the surface.
    Put it in the oven for 15 minutes, careful not to burn the cheese. The strength of your oven will decide this!
    Serve with the remaining grated parmesan.

Serves 4/5 people.

Buon appetito!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

First ever post in here

Spicy Italian Sausage Rigatoni (OK I cheated, there was no Rigatoni in the shop so I used Penne Rigate instead). It is slightly better with Rigatoni as the sauce fills the tubes a lot more. It is a real Italian recipe I got from a colleague so I'll post it if anyone is interested.

Before Baking.....

http://s9.postimg.org/zao05e0nj/before_baking.jpg

Before Devouring.....

http://s23.postimg.org/80l6xa0gb/after_baking.jpg

I had an amazing bacon and mushroom rigatoni last night from Picasso's in Clontarf. I find pasta is hard to get wrong but hard to make exceptionally well. This was exceptionally good pasta.

hardCopy wrote: »
    I had an amazing bacon and mushroom rigatoni last night from Picasso's in Clontarf. I find pasta is hard to get wrong but hard to make exceptionally well. This was exceptionally good pasta.

Thankfully I'm only 30 mins from the Italian border, getting bad pasta in a restaurant is unacceptable. If I was making this for visitors I would be using fresh handmade pasta, the difference from boxed mass produced pasta is very noticeable (when you are eating as much of it as me, haven't had a spud in months)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

hardCopy wrote: »

Noted!! I'm obsessed with pasta, must check this place out!

First ever post in here

Before Baking.....

Oh wow that looks delicious! Can you share the recipe?

• Advertisement

fussyonion wrote: »
    Oh wow that looks delicious! Can you share the recipe?

Added above. Enjoy.

Tonight we ate with friends. Dinner started with a delicious lemon and coriander houmous, smoked trout and cheese selection with fresh baguette. The main course was a garlicky pasta dish with aubergines, tomatoes and mushrooms, with a salad of roasted figs and fresh leaves. So good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I'm no great shakes in the kitchen stakes but last night I made what I think is the tastiest thing I've ever made, a lovely spag bol with homemade meat sauce. Made a huge batch of it as well so I'm delira with myself!

For the sauce I fried red onions and celery, drop of red wine, lots of tomato puree, nicely braised Aldi Angus mince, and tinned, chopped tomatoes. Salt and and a pinch of sugar to season. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Last night we had chicken done in a creamy mushroom sauce with veg & mash..

83F854BB-211D-41B0-B2DB-6BA98DB3CCE4-2410-0000016BB776FDB6_zpsf99be589.jpg

Tonight we had a really delicious rich beef stew for dinner. I don't wanna call it boeuf bourguignon because it was missing a few components like the shallots and the bacon (I had none of either). But it was made with a red wine base and boy was it scrumptious. Creamy mash, broc and fine beans on the side.

kei1dc.jpg

My hubby didn't like his at all. :pac:

2urw5u8.jpg

Argh, can't get the hang of posting images at all at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

(Gas) BBQ/Grilled pork chops, romanesco sauce, wilted kale, grilled courgette and tomato.
    Tom, kale and courgette from the garden.

6wXGPK.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had sticky chicken thighs roasted with sausages - with mushrooms onions and baby potatoes.

n51yyr.jpg

I made this dinner so I could use my new lemon squeezer :)

2wntnhu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I had tuna and broccoli pasta tonight. It is something I used to make all the time but hadn't had for ages. I'd forgotten how delicious it is

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Grilled hake, tomato and herb salsa, steamed marrow with pork jelly, Thai rice.

4wKP3F.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hyderabadi Lamb with tomatoes thanks again to the curry bible. Could work with any meat but lamb makes it so much nicer.

SIH3FsAl.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement