Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

RasTa wrote: »
    Hyderabadi Lamb with tomatoes thanks again to the curry bible. Could work with any meat but lamb makes it so much nicer.

RE-CI-PE! RE-CI-PE! RE-CI-PE!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    RE-CI-PE! RE-CI-PE! RE-CI-PE!:D

Thankfully somebody else has typed it out for me, I used Basil leaves and birds eye chili's. I did peel the skin but didn't de seed.

560g / 1¼ lb Boneless Lamb Shoulder, cut into 2½ cm / 1 inch cubes

1 tablespoon Fresh Ginger, peeled and finely grated

6 Cloves of Garlic, peeled and crushed to a pulp

1½ teaspoon Ground Cumin

½ teaspoon Ground Tumeric

1¼ teaspoon Salt

3 tbsp Corn or Peanut Oil

210g / 7½ oz Onion, peeled and finely chopped

450g / 1 lb Fresh Tomatoes, peeled, finely chopped and then crushed

3 – 6 Fresh, hot Green Chillies, chopped

10 – 15 Fresh Curry Leaves, if available (use Fresh Basil Leaves as an interesting substitute)

2 – 3 tablespoon chopped Fresh Coriander

Put the meat in a bowl and add the Ginger, Garlic, Cumin, Tumeric and 1 teaspoon of the Salt.
    Mix well and set aside for 30 minutes.

Pour the Oil into a wide, non-stick, lidded pan and set over a medium-high heat.
    When hot, stir in the Onions and fry them until the pieces turn brown at the edges.
    Add the meat, together with it’s marinade. Stir and fry for 1 minute.
    Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook for 8-10 minutes, removing the lid now and then to stir the contents until the meat is lightly browned.

Stir in the Tomatoes, the remaining Salt, Chillies, Curry Leaves and Coriander and bring to a simmer.
    Cover, reduce the heat to very low and cook gently, stirring occasionally, for about 50 minutes or until the meat is tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Fried/grilled chicken thighs, grilled garlic and thyme tomatoes, fried polenta cake, tenderstem broccoli, pork and chicken white wine thyme jus.

5XPq6b.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 53,853 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Where can you get tenderstem brocolli? I don't think I've seen it in a supermarket.

Once again the beer revolu, I doff my cap to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

awec wrote: »
    Where can you get tenderstem brocolli? I don't think I've seen it in a supermarket.

M&S (Irish broccoli at the moment, too)
    Why thank you, good sir/madam.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

awec wrote: »

Tesco Finest, also!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Italian Chicken.

It was nice but it needs tweaking (ha, almost typed "twerking").
    It wasn't tomatoey enough and needed more richness, so next time I'll slowly simmer the tomatoes before adding them to the dish.

rbfvgp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

3de011a6083311e3807022000ae91388_7.jpg

I received some samples of a silicon egg poacher so thought I'd poach an egg. Had a look at what was in the fridge and came up with the above.

Bread fried with bacon lards and onions. A mixed leaf salad was placed on the bread, topped with the bacon, onion and then the poached egg. This was seasoned with some salt and pepper. The whole lot was drizzled in some delicious balsamic vinegar.

It was really tasty but most definitely best served as a starter as it wasn't really very filling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Went out last night for an Indian meal. Started with dosa, then had lamb dopiaza with steamed basmati and shared a few naans at the table - a garlic and a peshwari, the latter of which was filled with a sweet coconut paste. Couple of pints of Kingfisher to wash it all down. Delish.

Currently vegging out after a Sunday roast - slow roasted rolled brisket and gravy with all the trimmings, followed by fresh strawberries and greek yoghurt. Nyom. Getting ready for a little walk to burn a few of those calories. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Had an unusually early main meal today as the in laws were over (too used to my continental dining habits...)

Did this for something a little different with the leg of lamb;

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3940/leg-of-lamb-cooked-with-potatoes

Served with carrots, roast butternutsquash and roast spuds. Did my own gravy (ok at best) but the mint and recurrent sauce were preferred.
    The spuds done under the lamb were the highlight :) and put the roast version in the shade (though they too were devoured). Definitely trying this again despite thinking the sliced spuds would be cremated by the end of roasting!

Ms K did a lovely melon and parma ham started and a raspberry roulade from in the in laws finished off the meal nicely with teas and coffees. Even the minors ate up!

Vino was Tim Adams Shiraz from Tesco which did its job very well (despite the early start!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Spag Ball Sunday!

Tried a new recipe for the first time, only used Basil out of all the herbs listed but damn it was tasty, enough to have 6 portions for 3 people but it was almost all gobbled down

0kcZfcll.jpg

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1502640/the-best-spaghetti-bolognese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Lamb stew for us tonight, perfect for the wintery, dull, cold day we had today.

The sky was an orangy-red colour, which gave it the feel of a real winter's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Roast Chicken etc etc..

36000313-CCC1-4214-9CED-871EA268C27B-1106-0000007FF50735FB_zpsb9c781b4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Had this for dessert... Chocolate, marshmallow and berry pizza!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Dinner was nothing special, homemade Spag-Ball.

But for desert I made a Blueberry pie with berries freshly picked around my property.
    Served warm with vanilla ice cream and a blueberry coulis poured on top.

I wish i had took a picture but it was quickly devoured !

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Fillets of lamb, venison and beef all marinated differently and cooked medium, served with sweet potato mash. Also had potato dauphinois and roast veg (forgot to take a picture of all that, too hungry! Also sorry for crap quality picture.)

From Saturday's dinner -- Meatball and bean casserole, served with buttery mash.

0123_zpsd5ada113.jpg

Last night's dinner -- Roast turmeric chicken legs in creamy spicy tomato sauce, served with cous cous.

0142_zps794388ed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Made fish pie last night and it was really nyummy. Have enough left for tonight as well so will serve with green beans and spinach.

Merkin wrote: »
    Made fish pie last night and it was really nyummy. Have enough left for tonight as well so will serve with green beans and spinach.

A++ for prawns in fish pie.

And Triple A for the delicious looking meatball and bean casserole! Do you have a recipe for this please? It looks sublime! :)

• Advertisement

And Triple A for the delicious looking meatball and bean casserole! Do you have a recipe for this please? It looks sublime! :)

It's adapted from Lidl's little booklet of family meals by Paul Flynn. They looked yum so thought I'd give it a go, with a few alterations:

Meatball & Bean Casserole in a Sweet Paprika Sauce (serves 4)

2 packets of meatballs (12 per pack)
    1 tin of baked beans in tomato sauce
    1 tin plum tomatoes
    1 onion, diced
    1 carrot, diced
    1 celery, diced
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 tsp sweet paprika (ran out of this so I used a sweet spice for meat I got in Turkey)
    1/2 tsp chicken stock
    salt & pepper

• Preheat oven at 160c
    • In an ovenproof pot, sautee onion, carrot, celery and garlic in olive oil, over low medium heat, until soften. Add paprika, beans, tomatoes and chicken stock.
    • Meanwhile, in another pan, brown the meatballs in batches. Once done, transfer to the pot.
    • Give a gentle mix and throw the pot with a lid on into the oven for 30 minutes.
    Great with mash.

Save leftovers for lunch next day -- great in a soft sub roll with grated cheese and chopped jalapeno.

It's adapted from Lidl's little booklet of family meals by Paul Flynn. They looked yum so thought I'd give it a go, with a few alterations:

Meatball & Bean Casserole in a Sweet Paprika Sauce (serves 4)

2 packets of meatballs (12 per pack)
    1 tin of baked beans in tomato sauce
    1 tin plum tomatoes
    1 onion, diced
    1 carrot, diced
    1 celery, diced
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 tsp sweet paprika (ran out of this so I used a sweet spice for meat I got in Turkey)
    1/2 tsp chicken stock
    salt & pepper

• Preheat oven at 160c
    • In an ovenproof pot, sautee onion, carrot, celery and garlic in olive oil, over low medium heat, until soften. Add paprika, beans, tomatoes and chicken stock.
    • Meanwhile, in another pan, brown the meatballs in batches. Once done, transfer to the pot.
    • Give a gentle mix and throw the pot with a lid on into the oven for 30 minutes.
    Great with mash.

Save leftovers for lunch next day -- great in a soft sub roll with grated cheese and chopped jalapeno.

This looks excellent.
    I bought some pork mince the other day and was wondering what to do with it. I think I'll make this dish using the pork mince and I'll put up a pic when I've done it.
    Thanks!

PS Also a great way of using baked beans instead of just plonking them on a plate with chips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

One thing I always wonder - do prawns overcook in fish pie?

One thing I always wonder - do prawns overcook in fish pie?

Mine didn't, they remained big and juicy and kept their texture. I used king prawns and instead of adding them with the smoked haddock and salmon to the wine and stock liquid for a minute or so, I waited until I was putting the whole mix in the oven and then put them in so they had no heat to them prior to going in the oven, before covering with mash (with cheese on top).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Mine didn't, they remained big and juicy and kept their texture. I used king prawns and instead of adding them with the smoked haddock and salmon to the wine and stock liquid for a minute or so, I waited until I was putting the whole mix in the oven and then put them in so they had no heat to them prior to going in the oven, before covering with mash (with cheese on top).

Cool. I love the idea of prawns in fish pie but was always hesitant in case they overcooked. Will definitely try your tip! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Made some paella yesterday with the weather we've been having (went a bit overboard on the lemons and limes though!) - chorizo, chicken, shrimp and mussels:

f21m5y.jpg

Also from a bit back some seriously cheesy potato gratin, with roast corn cobs and chicken with spiced butter under the skin and (though it is nasty to get in there...) an open can of cider shoved up it's ass before putting it in the oven standing up - tastes unreal! Apple flavoured chicken!

2mpj3gm.jpg

(in truth, you get an empty tin of beans or what-have-you, clean it out completely, fill i half way with any cheap cider, and stick that up there; using a full tin of cider would probably backfire badly).

From Saturday's dinner -- Meatball and bean casserole, served with buttery mash.

Last night's dinner -- Roast turmeric chicken legs in creamy spicy tomato sauce, served with cous cous.

I made the meatball and bean casserole this evening and I was really disappointed!

It's not your fault, Mrs Fox!

I made the meatballs with pork mince and I added quite a good mix of seasoning, even adding other herbs and spices.
    I even added a pinch of chilli flakes to give it some lift, cooked it according to the recipe and served it with mash.
    It was saucy enough, which was great, but it was a bit bland!

I thought the baked beans wouldn't overpower because of the tomatoes and other stuff, but the beans actually made it gloopy and overall it lacked flavour.

Like I said, not trying to insult you Mrs Fox, but just thought I'd share my thoughts.

I would try it again though, with beef mince and I would omit the beans.

When I do that, I will let you know how I get on!

On Sunday we had a delicious roast chicken dinner with all the works!

2zfmq6b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

fussyonion wrote: »
    On Sunday we had a delicious roast chicken dinner with all the works!

It's not the works without gravy! (I hope that was added after? :))

• Advertisement

It's not the works without gravy! (I hope that was added after? :))

Ha! There certainly was gravy added after..I like taking the pic before, so you can see all the grub :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement