Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's not the works without gravy! (I hope that was added after? :))

Great minds;-)
    I reacted exactly the same way to the pic, then saw your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

fussyonion wrote: »
    I made the meatball and bean casserole this evening and I was really disappointed!

It's not your fault, Mrs Fox!

I made the meatballs with pork mince and I added quite a good mix of seasoning, even adding other herbs and spices.
    I even added a pinch of chilli flakes to give it some lift, cooked it according to the recipe and served it with mash.
    It was saucy enough, which was great, but it was a bit bland!

I thought the baked beans wouldn't overpower because of the tomatoes and other stuff, but the beans actually made it gloopy and overall it lacked flavour.

Like I said, not trying to insult you Mrs Fox, but just thought I'd share my thoughts.

I would try it again though, with beef mince and I would omit the beans.

When I do that, I will let you know how I get on!

Ah that's a real pity :( Don't worry no offense taken :) I've never cooked with pork mince so I don't know what to expect from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

'Ikea' Swedish meatballs with mash and some fried potato cubes. Not a huge Jamie Oliver fan at all, but he's done well here - the sauce is divine, and the meat mixture works brilliantly for burgers as well (though if you do so it will sweat a lot, so be ready to push down a lot with fork-tines and scrape fat off with a butter-knife). Word of advise though - chop the dill finer than I did; looked nice, but was a bit too noticeable in the texture.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2010/apr/26/jamie-oliver-swedish-meatballs-recipe
    - I use raspberry jam because I don't know where to find lingon berry; a girl I was seeing from Malmo told me it's probably closest (very sharp), and while it is nice, the breadcrumbs are not crucial. Make sure to add the flour in gradually by sieve of it just forms lumps on the side. Despite the recipe, moving to in a really small saucepan with an electric mixer is probably best because of this for the flour part.

35a1uzn.jpg

Can a mod please resize this? No idea how to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Fyi lidl do lingonberry jam, or they used to -comes in a glass jar with a blue lid. I use it instead of cranberry sauce as I find it's less 'jammy' tasting :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Billy86 wrote: »
    Can a mod please resize this? No idea how to!

Use www.tinypic.com to upload and resize your photos. Copy and paste the
    IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Weetabix... need to do some food shopping :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Pizza 'n' chips.

Homemade pizza with homemade tomato sauce, mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and barbeque pulled pork, served with homemade twice cooked chunky chips (trying out my new fryer :D). We wouldn't normally have chips with pizza, but we ate late and I was STARVED so it was a nice treat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night I had a ribeye steak with baby potatoes and fried onions, mushrooms and tomatoes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Last night we kinda copied Dizzyblonde (:pac:), we new boiled potatoes, fried onions and tomatoes with rib eye steak. Delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Made delicious beef tacos, homemade guacamole, salsa etc - one of my favourite dishes although I always end up making a piggy of myself when I have Mexican :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

On Sunday we had a delicious roast chicken dinner with all the works!

Yes! The potato scoops! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Kitchen sink mince (basically throw in a bit of whatever is lying about), homemade wedges and salad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made rich braised beef in red wine, mash, carrots and french beans.
    Will have that for lunch later but with steamed rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Last night we had pasta with mince and sauce. I had some sundried tomatoes which I put in and they were delicious. The nicest pasta I've ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

'Ikea' Swedish meatballs ....
    - I use raspberry jam because I don't know where to find lingon berry;
    I'm pretty sure they sell it in Ikea.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

B0jangles wrote: »
    Fyi lidl do lingonberry jam, or they used to -comes in a glass jar with a blue lid. I use it instead of cranberry sauce as I find it's less 'jammy' tasting :-)
    Good spot! I've got some in the kitchen press here so took a look. They're described as "Wild Preiselbeeren" on the jar, and I'd always thought Preiselbeer was German for cranberry, but according to Wikipedia, cultivated cranberries are actually a different species, and these Wild Preiselbeeren are actually the same thing as lingonberries.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preiselbeere

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccinium_vitis-idaea

Actually, on closer inspection it also describes them as lingonberries on the side of the jar in English!!! I'd never looked there before, doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Alun wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they sell it in Ikea.
    Cheers, actually genuinely did't know that (and B0jangles with the Lidl suggestion). Unfortunately I'm miles away from Ikea, but there are two Lidl's close to me.

---
    Also, something really easy to make for people on the run - cheap and healthy as well, and you might be able to get picky kids to eat it (I was a a shockingly picky eater as a kid but always loved this) is fried rice.

- A little under a fistful of rice per person
    - A fistful of frozen mixed veg per person
    - A half-fistful of frozen peas per person
    - A few mushrooms per person (quartered)
    - 1-2 rashers and 1/2 to a full chicken fillet per person
    - 1-2 eggs per person (depending how eggy you want it); beaten together in a bowl

1. Boil the rice until it is ALMOST done (or just about done, basically do not overcook it), put it in a sieve/cauldron and run it under cold water until it has gone cold.
    2. At the same time, grill the rashers (until slightly crispy) and fillets - cut the rashers into pieces about the size of your little fingernail, and shred the chicken fillet (hold it in place and tear is apart with the tines of a fork).
    3. Get a wok or big pan on a high heat and fry the eggs for NO MORE than 10-ish seconds, stirring vigorously with 2 forks or spatulas. Immediately move to a plate (NOT a bowl or it will continue to cook in it's own heat). Don't worry it should look like... frankly... gloopy snot at this point. :o
    4. In the same pan (do not clean off any little eggy bits left), fry frozen veg (NOT the peas); after a minute or so add the mushrooms, and remove into a bowl. Keep the oil/fats/etc in the bowl too.
    5. Add 2-3 big glugs of oil and fry the rice until it goes a little translucent (again, do not clean the pan), then add the egg and keep stirring until the egg is fully cooked.
    6. Add the meat, veg and peas... mix for 2 mins or so, and serve into bowls.

Once you get the knack of multi-tasking the initial bits of this (rice, meat, egg) you can get the whole thing done start-to-finish in just over 20 mins. You can add anything you want in as well to fit your taste. Also, do make sure to keep the fats and juices when cooking it - it does look a bit nasty when they're in the bowl with the veg and whatnot, but the rice absorbs all of it, and it's crucial to the flavour.

**Also works great for work lunches over the week - I think I clocked it to about 65-70c per meal when I did enough for 4 days, just 1-2 mins in the microwave and it's good to go. It even tastes pretty decent cold.

Don't have any pictures, but I'm staying in tonight (off the smokes since Monday, so avoiding the booze until the cravings subside!) so if I get around to making it, I'll post here (in the right size! :p ) - might do choc biscuit cake and/or cheesecake as well.

Alun wrote: »
    Good spot! I've got some in the kitchen press here so took a look. They're described as "Wild Preiselbeeren" on the jar, and I'd always thought Preiselbeer was German for cranberry, but according to Wikipedia, cultivated cranberries are actually a different species, and these Wild Preiselbeeren are actually the same thing as lingonberries.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preiselbeere

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccinium_vitis-idaea

Actually, on closer inspection it also describes them as lingonberries on the side of the jar in English!!! I'd never looked there before, doh!

Cheers for confirming! I was 99% sure it was lingonberry but when I went to check the jar I couldn't find any at home and Lidl seems to be out of stock at the moment. It'll probably turn up again closer to christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Death by cheese pizza (from the CC) topped with extra blue cheese, balsamic glazed onions and some shredded chicken.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

A friend very kindly had myself and my boyfriend over for dinner last night. He cooked haggis. I lived in Scotland for years and I could only ever bring myself to try a single bite of haggis. I am not an offal eater! But of course, I wasn't going to refuse to eat it so I valiantly ate the entire thing. To be fair, haggis actually tastes lovely, but I simply could not dissociate the taste from the knowledge of what it is. I had to force every bite down, hiding it with as much other food as I could manage :o. My stomach is not right at all today after it either :o.

I can safely say I am not a haggis fan, and I'll continue my best efforts to avoid it for the rest of my life!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Stew, winter has arrived all of a sudden :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Sausages, beans and mash..cosy dinner for this cold evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Sweet potato wedges I made.

Olive oil, cayenne powder and parsley.

Boil for 5-10 minutes, then into the oven for 25. Unreal.

They were on the side of a Kung po stirfry with chicken, prawn, mushroom, pepper, onion, water chestnuts, sweet corn and broccoli.

Awesome awesome dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

A new fish shop opened up beside the butcher we use so I had some haddock tonight.

Some baby potatoes

mFb6omdl.jpg

Some fish

H8ONbcMl.jpg

Lovely!

RVz9UB3l.jpg

Potato (yes, potato), bacon, onion and cheese pizza.

DAqWNwp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

B0jangles wrote: »
    Potato (yes, potato), bacon, onion and cheese pizza.

Oh can I have the recipe for this as it looks delicious?

Oh can I have the recipe for this as it looks delicious?

Sure!

I hope it's good -it's just out of the oven so I haven't actually eaten any yet :o.

It's basically this recipe:

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/06/jim-laheys-potato-pizza/

crossed with this one:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/bacon-potato-rosemary-and-fontina-pizza-recipe/index.html

As in, I made the dough from the first one, but used about 5-6 baby potatoes which I sliced reeealy thinly and soaked for a couple of hours before draining and salting to draw our excess water.

I then pre-fried some chopped bacon in about 1/2 tablespon of olive oil (3 ordinary smoked streaky rashers) with about half a very big onion plus 3 cloves of garlic.

Once that was done, I let it cool a bit, then stirred in the drained, dried potato slices.

This was put on top of the stretched out pizza base from the first recipe, then topped with a mixture of finely chopped maasdam and edam (from aldi) and fresh rosemary, plus some more olive oil.

I then baked it at about 220 degrees (fan) for about 25 minutes.

Edit: Just ate some* - this is seriously tasty stuff people.

*three slices, so ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I keep meaning to make pizza, but the last time I made dough, it was a big sticky mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I use raspberry jam because I don't know where to find lingon berry;

I'll send you a few jars :D Its grows like mad all over the place here. The wife went out to the garden today to pick some to have with the dinner. Its called Tyttebær (Titte-bar) over here in Norway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Posting my desert again. Maybe we should have a thread for Here's what i had for desert :)

Sunken Apple Cake.

lo9c.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement