Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

It shall be so. Give me a little time to get the Mrs. in a teaching mood and I will help you all to get stuffed, without the fat:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Friday : Ate out. Had goat, dressed with a red-wine sauce with rohschinken in it, boiled veg and a plain risotto on the side.

Saturday : Dinner at my sisters. Starter of lambs-leaf salad with smoked sturgeon and smoked marlin. Main course of stuffed fillet of wild boar, stuffed portobello mushroom, boild baby potatoes, and wild asparagus.

This evening, we shall be having shredded fillet of ostrich, ratatouille w. homemade pasta, and a side-salad.

I finally remembered to check the gyros recipe...only to be told by she who knows these things that we're out :( I'll have to get back to you guys on that one when we restock.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Friday: Guinness & Whiskey :D (Mrs Billy was away with the boys).
    Saturday: Roast leg of lamb with veg coated in cumin & black mustard seed.
    Sunday: Grandma Billy's roast beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

sunday: Chicken Curry and Rice! Yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Saturday - Veal Milanese with rocket, beef tomatoes. Simple and awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

BBQ , steak, chicken kebabs , burgers, hot dogs with salad ,new potatoes tossed in wholegrain mustard, egg mayonnaise and potato salad.

Washed down with a cheeky red :D

Celticfire wrote:
    BBQ , steak, chicken kebabs , burgers, hot dogs with salad ,new potatoes tossed in wholegrain mustard, egg mayonnaise and potato salad.

Washed down with a cheeky red :D
    First BBQ of the season?! Congrats.

I had a stew from Saturday's lamb & roast veg. Chopped leftovers into chunks, threw in a couple of pints of stock, a bayleaf & some more rosemary & simmered for 2 hours. Accompanied by crusty rolls & a Mont Gras Carmenère Reserva.

Pork in gravy, with mashed spuds and boiled veg. Salad on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Saturday: Turkey curry with boiled rice.
    Sunday and Monday: Bacon, Cabbage and Potatoes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

r3nu4l wrote:
    Sunday and Monday: Bacon, Cabbage and Potatoes :)

Im so jealous, thats my all time favourite!

Sunday: Coddle with fresh buttered vienna roll

last night I had chicken fried with garlic & piri piri sauce, cauliflower cheese & mashed spuds. Delicious!

• Advertisement

Beef stroganoff last night.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Hill Billy wrote:
    Beef stroganoff last night.

Snap, unreal it was, followed Rick Steins recipe, it's easy and I can't stress how good it is. I done it with rice, but the fine cut chips are superb too.
    Ingredients
    675g/1½ lb beef fillet, preferably cut from the tail end
    65g/2½oz unsalted butter
    1½ tbsp paprika (hot Hungarian, if you like a little subtle heat)
    1 large onion, very thinly sliced
    350g/12oz button mushrooms, thinly sliced
    3 tbsp sunflower oil
    300ml/10fl oz soured cream
    2 tsp lemon juice
    small handful of parsley leaves, finely chopped
    salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    For the matchstick potatoes
    450g/1lb floury potatoes, such as Maris Piper, peeled
    sunflower oil, for deep-frying

Method
    1. Cut the steak into slices 1cm/0.5in thick, then cut each slice across the grain into strips 1cm/0.5in wide.
    2. For the matchstick potatoes, cut the potatoes by hand into short sticks 3mm/0.2in thick or use a mandolin. Set aside in a bowl of cold water.
    3. Heat the sunflower oil for deep-frying, either in a large pan or in a deep-fat fryer, to 190C/375F.
    4. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large frying pan, add the paprika and onion and cook slowly until the onion is soft and sweet, but not browned.
    5. Add the mushrooms and fry gently for three minutes. Transfer the mixture to a plate and keep warm.
    6. Drain the matchstick potatoes and dry thoroughly in a clean tea towel or a salad spinner.
    7. Plunge the potatoes into the hot oil and fry for three minutes, until crisp and golden. Drain briefly on kitchen paper and keep hot in a low oven.
    8. Using the same pan you cooked the onion mixture in, heat one and a half tablespoons of sunflower oil until very hot.
    9. Add half the fillet steak and fry quickly, seasoning and turning it as you do so, for just over one minute. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the rest of the oil and steak.
    10. Return the onion mixture to the pan and pour in the soured cream. Bring to the boil and simmer for a minute or so, until thickened.
    11. Return the steak to the pan and heat very gently for one minute - the beef should not be cooked any further.
    12. Stir in the lemon juice and parsley and serve with the matchstick potatoes.

Several pints of guinness, followed by falafel on the way to the train.

Fresh Cod & Chips.....So bad but sooooo good!

steak, potatoes and peas.

Fresh Cod & Chips.....So bad but sooooo good!

Bad, and not just in the healthy sense.

You know how overfished cod stocks are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Celticfire

The BBQ is fired up again. :)

Lamb chops , tiger prawn and chicken kebabs , salad and the old reliable, hot-dogs and burgers.....

Hope this weather keeps up :D

I was out at an Indian restaurant last night so had a chicken Biryani, with vegetable curry. Very good if I could make one half as good I'd be happy.

Night before was ready-made pizza :(

Tonight however, will be baked fresh rainbow trout, steamed potatoes and broccoli :)

Roast beef, spuds, and courgettes.

bonkey wrote:
    Bad, and not just in the healthy sense.

You know how overfished cod stocks are?

Yes yes, Im a very bad person. In my defence though I rarely eat it.....much prefer chicken in the takeaway.

Last night dinner was a delicious barbie... Burgers, Spare ribs, prawns, Chicken & many many delicious salads. I am still stuffed!! :D Tonight & for the rest of the weekend it will be the same....maybe more alcohol though!

• Advertisement

last nighti had chilli beef and rice!

Friday

Fillet of Foal, wrapped in streaky bacon, with a side-dish of taboule

Saturday

mixed Salad starter
    Leg of lamb, roast spuds, brocoli w. hollandaise sauce, boiled carrots (normal and blue), tomato & onion salad

Sunday
    goat*, done on the BBQ
    Garlic potato gratin
    wild asparagus, with hollandaise sauce

* Not sure of the correct english term for the cut. In German, its "rücken" which would literally be "back". Its a length of spine, with the meat still on. With venison and other meats, I believe the two pieces of meat are referred to as the canons, but I think thats *after* they've been taken off the bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Fillet of Foal, wrapped in streaky bacon, with a side-dish of taboule

Foal as in horse ?

Where did you get that if you don't mind me asking. I thought that foal was illegal in the EU. The italians are very keen on foal for sausages and got all upset when the EU banned the meat.

Is it dark like horse ?

Minder wrote:
    Foal as in horse ?
    Foal as in young horse, yes.
    Where did you get that if you don't mind me asking.
    I don't mind at all. I got it in the local supermarket.
    I thought that foal was illegal in the EU. The italians are very keen on foal for sausages and got all upset when the EU banned the meat.
    I should point out that I live in Switzerland, which isn't in the EU.

Having said that, the local supermarket in question is a Carrefour, which is French chain. Maybe they don't sell foal in their EU branches though...
    Is it dark like horse ?
    Yes.

Friday: Went out for dinner, had poached salmon with side salad...and chips.
    Saturday: Can't remember for the life of me :confused:
    Sunday: Pasta, tuna and tomato
    Monday: Home-made shepards pie

Yesterday...

Fillet of pork, wrapped in veal "paste", wrapped in bacon, wrapped in pastry.
    Served with pommes duchesse, carrots, and green beans.

Apple & redcurrant crumble for dessert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

Hello,
    I had chicken sallad with feta cheese for dinner today:)
    Annika

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Friday: burgers, ribs, coleslaw
    Saturday: beef in sticky broth with chili and boiled rice
    Sunday: roast lamb
    Monday: fillet steak

The best thing about it? Four meals in a row that I didn't have to cook.

Tonight's dinner is going to be chili. I'm not sure how energetic I'm feeling yet, so the jury's out on whether it'll be with rice, or with tortilla wraps, sour cream, mango salsa and leaves.

Last night:

Chicken strips rubbed w. lemon salt & pepper, fried in a pan, served on rocket. With leftover potato gratin from Sunday

Tonight:

home-made bacon-cheese burgers from the BBQ, with a side-order of home-made chips, and a cucumber salad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

...it was with tortilla wraps, sour cream, mango salsa and leaves. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement