Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

My name is mags16 and I am addicted to my curried lentil and veg soup which I had for dinner tonight. With a dollop of creamy natural yogurt and a naan bread, heaven on a plate....or in a bowl.....you know what I mean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mags16 wrote: »
    my curried lentil and veg soup

Go on so.

Share the sekrit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

When I say my curried lentil and veg soup., I'm telling a lie. My friend Rebecca gave me the recipe.

Here goes

1 small/med parsnip, chopped
    2 or 3 sticks celery, chopped
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic,chopped
    4 med carrots, chopped
    4 medium spuds, chopped (floury are best)
    100 g red lentils
    1/2 jar of medium curry paste (I used Pataks Balti tomato and coriander)
    1 litre veg or chicken stock

Saute onion in a tablespoon or two of veg oil. When soft but not browned, add the rest of the veg and saute for a few mins. Rinse the lentils and add them too followed by the curry paste. Fry for another few minutes, stirring all the time. Add the stock, cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until the soup is really thick and all the veg are cooked. This is a very thick soup so be careful it doesn't stick. If it is too dry, add some water.

Serve in LARGE portions with a tablespoon of glenisk whole milk natural yogurt. If you add yogurt when the soup is piping hot, it will seperate. Still delicious but I normally let it cool down for a few mins first.

Really cheap dinner.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

DesF wrote: »
    What does twice baked mean?
    Twice baked means I bake the potatoes till their cooked, then I cut them in half, scoop out the soft potato and mix it a bowl with (in this case) grated cheese and chopped, pre-cooked, mushrooms, season it with salt and pepper. Then I put this mash back into the halved skins and bake in a hot oven for about 15/20 mins till golden brown on top.

They are really tasty and easy to make and (most importantly) very filling when you can't afford much else for dinner.

Anyway, this evening's dinner was the super fast pasta with pesto mozzarella and cherry tomatoes. Good when you forget to take things out of the freezer in the morning and you have to go out not too long after coming in.

EDIT: Just saw that Neuro-praxis told you too! Oh well. She was spot on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

They are really tasty and easy to make and (most importantly) very filling when you can't afford much else for dinner.

QFT

I lived on twice baked potatoes for my last week at college when I was poor both in terms of money and time.

Tonight was lasagne. It was different than normal but much appreciated after a few days of breakfast, lunch and dinner at Irish college.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 chiempi

Crispy oven-baked fish and chips - lovely, and very cheap! Had pollock fillets in freezer, defrosted them in milk while I peeled and sliced potatoes into 1cm-thick sticks. Tossed chips with paprika, salt and pepper before tossing again in EVOO, then bunging in oven on a pizza pan (with the holes in it) on 250C, fanbake. Left them to do their thing while I smashed up the remains of a bag of cornflakes and a couple of individual bags of ready salted Taytos (yes for improvisation!), dipped the fish fillets in whisked egg and coated them in the crumbs. Sprayed with a bit of chilli oil for kick and put in the oven for the last 20 minutes with the chips, turned once, lots of ketchup and a wedge of lemon alongside, golden and lovely!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Marinated pork chops (soy sauce, wholegrain mustard, oil, garlic, honey and a few slices of green chilli) baked in the oven with whole baked onions and potato wedges. All cooked in 30-35 minutes :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Spag bol. Was a bit heavy, tbh, but still nice.

Butterflied chicken breasts rubbed and left to sit for awhile in olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary and salt/pepper.

Served it with the last of my baby potatoes, the leftover 2 carrots and some fried organic mushrooms that were quite possible the tastiest mushrooms I have ever had. They were the variety the look like normal button mushrooms but have a sort of light brown cap (chestnut mushrooms maybe?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

chiempi wrote: »
    Crispy oven-baked fish and chips - lovely, and very cheap! Had pollock fillets in freezer, defrosted them in milk while I peeled and sliced potatoes into 1cm-thick sticks. Tossed chips with paprika, salt and pepper before tossing again in EVOO, then bunging in oven on a pizza pan (with the holes in it) on 250C, fanbake. Left them to do their thing while I smashed up the remains of a bag of cornflakes and a couple of individual bags of ready salted Taytos (yes for improvisation!), dipped the fish fillets in whisked egg and coated them in the crumbs. Sprayed with a bit of chilli oil for kick and put in the oven for the last 20 minutes with the chips, turned once, lots of ketchup and a wedge of lemon alongside, golden and lovely!

I love it when you improvise something like the crumb you made from cornflakes and tayto and it turns out FOR THE WIN!!!! :)

And tSubh, yes those brown capped button mushrooms are chestnut mushrooms.

Haven't done much major cooking this week after the cookathon at the weekend. Bit addicted to our version of the McDonalds filet o fish at the moment - oven bake some crumbed fish fillets, and have them in a lebanese flatbread with melted cheese, cos lettuce, salad cream and capers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Tonight was Mackerel fillets dusted in seasoned flour and pan fried for 3minds and side. Served with boiled new season spuds and sliced courgette in evoo and chilli flakes pan fried. Very nice indeed

Super value for Mackerel by the way, you really cant go wrong and it is so easy to prep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

We had fish pie last night. After seeing the hairy bikers make it on Saturday morning, it was a must. Cod, smoked haddock and prawns, a little carrot and leek, a white sauce with parsley, tarragon, dill and just a hint of saffron. A thick topping of creamy mash with a little cheese through it and a few breadcrumbs scattered over the top. French beans on the side. Part II tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Homemade tomato sauce with penne pasta and a spinach leaf salad

I had a few people over tonight so I decided to make some wedges for them (amongst other things including fried onions, pepper sauce and pork & lamb chops and a few beers :p). I just chopped up the spuds and added a little olive oil and some garlic to a side bowl, and then poured the oil and garlic over the chopped-up spuds. It took some time to cook in the oven but it was definitely a good wait!

I think there was a recipe here before about wedges that I might investigate further.

As for yesterday, I made kebabs for myself just by making a beef & veg stir fry, some hoi sin sauce, and pitta bread. Does anyone have any good kebab sauce recipes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I like the following effect for 'kebab sauce' but I don't bother to pre-mix anything, because I always end up wasting some.

Slit the pitta. Smear ketchup over the inside of the pitta. Sprinkle a little smoked paprika over the ketchupy lining. Toss your lettuce in a tablespoon of mayonnaise so it's all coated with mayo. Stuff pitta with lettuce and other fillings. Top with chili sauce of your preference. Eat. Preferably alone. With a roll of kitchen towel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just tortillas(corn and wheat) with fake meat, aubergine, corn and sauce. nom nom nom

Myth wrote: »
    Does anyone have any good kebab sauce recipes?

For kebabs and falafels we usually use a bottled hot sauce, but make a cooling dressing from homous, sour cream, a little lemon juice and some water by mixing 2 tbsps of homous with 1 tbsp of sour cream. The lemon juice lifts the flavour a little and the water thins it enough to make it pourable.

For lamb kebabs, try marinading cubes of lamb in pomegranate molasses, lemon juice and salt. Only needs an hour, then grill.

Last night we had duck with udon noodles and veggies. I roasted some duck legs with 5 spice and pomegranate molasses - cut the meat off the bones when cool. Stir fried some baby corn, green beans, a little red pepper, bok choi, garlic & ginger. Made a sauce with hoisin and chilli bean sauces. Finished with bean shoots.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Bite size Monkfish pieces smeared with a spicy sundried tomato salsa wrapped in italian bacon. Served with a potato rosti and a light side salad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Tonight we made a huge lasagne to last us the next few days. The weather is terrible here and it's my first full week of work so we figured we needed to have something ready when we came in over the next few days. Bf did most of the cooking while I cleaned, he's a chilli fiend so he added loads when he made the tomato sauce for the lasagne. Was actually quite nice with the kick to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I had chilli with baked potatoes and salad and about 5 litres of water - mouth was on fire, like you Watna himself adores chilli so it was veerrrryyy hot :eek:

Grilled darne of salmon with spinach and twice baked potatoes made with cheese and mushrooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,794 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Roast chicken with cous cous (flavoured with ginger, scallions & paprika) & a cucumber salad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Boiled ham, new spuds & cabbage, served with a wedge of Tescos' French Butter (which is savage btw).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Fresh tagliatelle with a sauce made from smoked streaky bacon, onion, mushrooms,garlic,tomatoes, basil and oregano. Yum :)

Roasted spiced chicken legs with homemade oven chips and pea purée.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Chicken fahijitas with homemade chips... calorific:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Chicken and Chips from my local chipper. :o

Hopefully a Chicken Stir fry tonight though. Bean Sprouts, Chicken, Baby Sweetcorn, Mushrooms and some soy sauce.

Served with rice.

Noice! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Butter chicken wih naan and roti from our local Indian takeaway. It was lovely and the meat in it was really good quality which is usually my gripe with takeaways. Will def be going back there again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Chicken fillets - stuffed with spinach, then ricotta and pesto mixed together, all roasted in the oven. Threw a bit of tomato sauce in the roasting dish as well. When the pesto/ricotta mix melted out it gave the sauce a lovely flavour.
    Served with spiced cubed potatos and some green veg.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement