Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

fussyonion wrote: »
    I've never had vindaloo; I know it's meant to be really hot, but would you share your recipe if that's ok?
    I think I want to try it!

Give this a shot...

The recipe is a somewhat bastardised version of one from The Hairy Bikers...

Ingredients
    1.5kg stewing beef, or shoulder of lamb
    3 medium onions
    750g potatoes, cut into chunks
    150ml red wine vinegar
    1 tbsp mustard seeds
    1 tbsp ground coriander
    1 tbsp ground cumin
    1 tbsp hot chili powder
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    3 fresh chilis
    Juice of 1 lime
    6 garlic cloves, minced
    Thumb-sized piece of ginger
    Salt
    Butter
    Vegetable/groundnut oil

Method
    First, place meat in a non-metal dish, sprinkle with 2-3 tsp of salt & rub in well.
    Add the red wine vinegar, toss well, cover & then allow to marinade in the fridge for 2 or 3 hours. (Overnight is even better).
    Halve, then thinly slice two of the onions & fry on a low/medium heat to soften for 10/15 minutes.
    Cut the remaining onion into chunks & place in a blender with the lime juice, chilis, garlic, ginger & dry spices.
    Blend until you have a fairly smooth paste.
    Add the paste to the pan with the onions & cook off for a further 5-10 mins.
    Remove the meat from the marindate (reserve the liquor) & brown in the butter & oil in a good-sized pot. (Doing this in batches in best.)
    When meat has been browned - put all pieces back in the pot along with the onion/paste mix, reserved marinade liquor, 500ml water (more if needed) & mix well. (A couple of bay leaves can be added if you have them.)
    Place lid on pot (& a cartouche as well if you can be bothered) & cook in the oven at 180C for 45 minutes.
    Remove from oven & add potato chunks - mix in well - place back in the oven & cook for 1 hour.
    Done!

Let me know how you get on... :)

Edit: Feel free to adjust the spices to your personal taste.
    There is no point in burning the gob off yourself if you are used to mild dishes.
    I make a version of this when cooking for Mrs HB & The Kids with less chili powder & no fresh chilis.
    I just a some extra hot sauce to my dish when I am serving up. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭dmc17

Chicken Chilli Masala :)

Chili_Masala_zps8da4c7de.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Duck, potatoes and cabbage, yum yum

Balsamic, olive oil and duck juice dressing added after

s4xIzmgl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Homemade Sweet & Sour Pork with rice & prawn crackers.

C99902BC-D80B-41F5-8C89-83FE4502CDA7-1931-000002CC0B2534D4_zpsdfbdbbbc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Cottage pie with turnips, carrots and parsnips. Perfect comfort food on a day like today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

tmc86 wrote: »
    Homemade Sweet & Sour Pork with rice & prawn crackers.

Am I going mad, or do the prawn crackers look a bit like a pigs face :p

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Saag Aloo

272300.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Thank you Billy :)

I had sausage pizza with red peppers...and single sliced cheese. It was the only type I had in the house. :P

The dough was really easy to make. It didn't rise in the oven, I don't think, but it's say the water was too hot or I rolled it to much or something.
    Good to hear :) ! It's great to get he knack of, basically guarantees so long as there's some yeast and flour in the house you'll never be stuck for a quick meal no matter the situation (and saves a fortune on the packaged crap, once you get the knack you'll never go back esp. since you can put whatever you want on it).

It might be the recipe (but I prefer thin crust, so I never really questioned it) - if you Google 'how to make pizza dough thicker' and look about you might get an answer. Might even be using self-raising flour? I genuinely have no idea! The internet is one giant cookbook though (Youtube especially for tricky things), so don't be afraid to use it. I cook loads of different stuff, but it's mostly just from Googling whatever leftovers are in the house with 'recipe' at the end! :D

Here's an easy sauce recipe too - http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/the-quickest-tomato-sauce . Mess about with it, I haven't made it in a while but usually put in more 'green spices' (oregano, parsley, etc) and black pepper to get a thick taste. Running a carrot through the finest cheese grater (sounds mad, works a treat) and adding that in really gives it a great flavour as well). Just put it in with the rest of the stuff from the start and you won't even know it's there by the time it's done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had sticky chicken thighs roasted with sausages tucked in around them - so the sausages go sticky too. We had them with baby potatoes and ratatouille.
    No photo, I just dived in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I'm way too ill to cook properly so dinner was simply quesadillas with sinus clearing hot salsa and some softened red onion.

2rdkpys.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I'm way too ill to cook properly so dinner was simply quesadillas with sinus clearing hot salsa and some softened red onion.

Whaaaaaaah? And then I read the rest of the sentence :D

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I made a sweet potato and chorizo hash. It was lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭akaspike

I made this salad last night. Have another batch ready for tomorrow too. :)
    Homemade guacamole, tomato salad, spinach and Prosciutto.
    4EEB6BDCEE3040828694B1A8AC7671A5-0000315963-0003371355-00640L-002096FF8B0143428730F65BD496587B.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Another pan fried free range pork chop with a honey, mustard and thyme jus.
    This time with grilled garden tomatoes, wet polenta and mixed leaves.

7CjQ7H.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

First time making pizza, surprised how easy it was. Need to spend more time on the sauce than worrying about the dough

rgvbnvkl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

First time making pizza, surprised how easy it was. Need to spend more time on the sauce than worrying about the dough

I feel very Italian when I'm baitin' the dough.

I didn't want to create a new thread for it, but does anybody know what those big, blackish, bananas in the asain food stores are called?

And how to cook them would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »

I didn't want to create a new thread for it, but does anybody know what those big, blackish, bananas in the asain food stores are called?

And how to cook them would be great :)

Plantains? BBQ, fry, bake etc. Kind of like potato in taste and texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pan fried monkfish medallions, mango salsa, Japanese rice.
    I love the combination of fish rice and salsa.

7szHxR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Busted my balls making 2 different quiches from scratch for a vegetarian friend. Jaysus they turned out amazing but it took hours and hours.

First one was mushroom, thyme and goats cheese:

quichemushroomandgoatscheesesept2013_zps912fa1dc.jpg

Second one was spinach and gruyere cheese:

quichespinachandgruyeresept2013_zps3692792f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

They look really beautiful. You must be a good friend. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

]I love the combination of fish rice and salsa.

I do too, it's a popular combination in this house. I make a salsa with coriander and lime for mackerel and sardines, my partner makes a warm one with black olives for meaty white fishes.

Homemadecider, those quiches look amazing. Really delicious!

I have nothing to add, I'm still sick and my fella's on lates so last night we ordered Indonesian and and tonight we ordered pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Made a HUGE pot of chowder using smoked rashers, whiting, ling, smoked mackerel, celery, carrot, potato, onion, parsley, sweetcorn, fish stock, milk and cream. Sweet mother of mercy, its divine.

vy8myu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Made beef in red wine stew loaded with veg (leeks, onions, carrots, celery and a LOT of garlic) and par cooked it last night for an hour then cooked in oven on low heat for four hours this evening, meat just melted in mouth and was really lovely.Served with good old mash.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Homemade fish and chips tonight. I got some lovely fresh hake fillets in the English Market and did a beer batter, served with chips and minty peas. It was delicious, but I have a really small fryer and honestly, it was too much work. I'd rather just pay someone to do it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭VanillaLime

I was at the English Market too Faith! Love shopping there. Monkfish from Ballycotton seafood, saffron from Mr Bells, veg from Superfruit. Made Rick Stein's Rice with monkfish, saffron and red pepper, it was delicious!
    Ricewithmonkfish_zpsd0121657.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Started with Lobster / Crab stuffed mushrooms, followed by 12oz NY Striploin Steak, medium done, served with mash, broccoli and onion rings, and a Rock Lobster tail. Washed down with Samuel Adams Oktoberfest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

We had seasoned griddled pork with home-made bbq sauce, with roasted vegetables and potato slices. The bbq sauce was a revelation. Nom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Dinner tonight will be sausages, rashers, black pudding, grilled tomatoes, fried mushrooms, onions, fried eggs and new potatoes.

Have to use them all up so thought this would be a nice meal for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Chicken fajitas with red & yellow peppers and mushrooms, salsa, sour cream and home made guac.

First time making guac (one of my favourite foods) and I'm feckin' delighted with it - will never buy it in a jar again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Chicken fajitas with red & yellow peppers and mushrooms, salsa, sour cream and home made guac.

First time making guac (one of my favourite foods) and I'm feckin' delighted with it - will never buy it in a jar again!

What is guac?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement