Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

A mock pizza. Chicken, salami & cheese on a wrap base topped with bbq sauce and jalapenos

I have accumulated loads of wraps in my freezer. I hadn't thought of this as a way to use them. Did you just stick the toppings on and pop into the oven?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I have accumulated loads of wraps in my freezer. I hadn't thought of this as a way to use them. Did you just stick the toppings on and pop into the oven?

Yep, just have to keep the layer of toppings thin and not use raw meat or anything that would need a lot of cooking time, then keep an eagle eye on the wrap for the few minutes it's in the oven because it'll go from pleasantly toasty to carbon in the twinkling of an eye

Yep, just have to keep the layer of toppings thin and not use raw meat or anything that would need a lot of cooking time, then keep an eagle eye on the wrap for the few minutes it's in the oven because it'll go from pleasantly toasty to carbon in the twinkling of an eye

Thought as much. Excellent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Very odd. It's upside down on my phone but correctly oriented on the desktop computer.

Oh dear. I took the picture on the ipad so I never know which angle is the right one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

I've been looking to try some new stuff lately, so tonight I made huevos estrellados. Only took around 20 minutes to make, and I was pretty happy with the results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Tonight we had a bit of a ba$tardised version of a Jamie Oliver dish - we roasted some baby potatoes for 20 minutes with salt, olive oil and thyme, then topped with sea bass fillets and some smoked lardons. Drizzled with olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt and black pepper, and roasted for 15 minutes more.

Served with roasted vine tomatoes with raspberry balsamic vinegar.

Home-made raspberry pavlova, and coffee from the new Chemex for dessert. Cracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Hello, it's me.:D

Last night we had lamb tagine with butternut squash, carrots, parsnips, apricots amongst many other ingredients and lots of spice. Couscous with lemon zest, mint, toasted almond flakes and coriander flowers.

nmj8fa.jpg

2vnnq60.jpg

Enjoy, coz I don't know when I'll be back. ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Haven't posted in here in ages. Dinner has been a bit non descript lately, the woman is doing Slimming World. However I came across a lovely dish tonight. Mega Stir Fry. 4 chicken fillets, 2 rashers, half a white cabbage, 4 gralic, 2 carrots grated, 4 ice cubes of chopped ginger, 250g bamboo shoots, 200g of prawns, 6 scallions and soya sauce. All fried up in a wok, with 1 cal spray.

Before
    95568C2347674BE1BA02F144228FD9CE-0000324795-0003384300-00800L-B531122B5295447DA811BB246816A855.jpg

And here it is in the Wok
    4CFC4409E87543369E61C466FF143097-0000324795-0003384299-00640L-B2011DE9CA5E4B89BEC7EA756AFA3501.jpg

You wouldn't notice the lack of noodles!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Chorizo and chickpea stew, and some nice crusty ciabatta :)

f752dfb0-043e-4584-9bfc-441d3d1d1c26.jpg

Dinner tonight was smashing. I used the recipe of a friend of mine to make honey-mustard chicken - nice free range corn-fed thighs and drums tossed in a sauce of melted butter, English mustard, wholegrain mustard, sea salt and curry powder, roasted. It was dark and sticky and very flavourful.

Sides were creamy mash and fresh corn on the cob.

Must take pics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

KFC. Thats Korean Fried Chicken. I used a couple of packs of boneless chicken thigh meat. Lightly battered and deep fried until crispy, the chicken was then bathed in a sauce of sriracha chilli sauce with tomato ketchup and a little apple vinegar. Had it with plain boiled rice and some green salad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

My favourite part of this whole picture (and it looks good, don't get me wrong) is that the ciabatta isn't coated in a half kilo of flour.

I really, REALLY hate that. I've actually ran them lightly under a tap and scraped off enough flour to coat the entire knife 5-6 times over on a single smaller loaf, like one of the three you have there. I'll stop before I go on a rant to end all rants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Nothing too special tonight. Pan roasted chicken breast with salt, fresh cracked pepper and Italian herb seasoning. Served with roasted tomatoes and white beans. I wasn't too keen on the beans but they weren't so bad. Again a new recipe.

Oh, I am definitely trying this!

Billy86 wrote: »
    My favourite part of this whole picture (and it looks good, don't get me wrong) is that the ciabatta isn't coated in a half kilo of flour.

I really, REALLY hate that. I've actually ran them lightly under a tap and scraped off enough flour to coat the entire knife 5-6 times over on a single smaller loaf, like one of the three you have there. I'll stop before I go on a rant to end all rants.

I also despise those floury, soft baps that every restaurant went through a phase of serving burgers in. Brioche buns FTW.

Oh, I am definitely trying this!

I've posted the recipe over in the Easy Peasy Recipe thread, enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Today I had oven cooked salmon, a handful of homemade chips and some salad with caesar dressing for dinner.

Bf had the same, but had smoked coley instead of salmon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Chicken Korma, lovely. It was medium spicy (the auld fella doesn't like spice) so I threw a load of chilli flakes into mine, nom!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Warm grilled chicken sandwiches made with a crusty Hüssbrot loaf (the varieties of bread here in Switz are fantastic!).

On the side I had a mountain of salad/slaw of halved baby tomatoes, scallions, hard-boiled eggs, grated carrots & cabbage in a light coating of salad cream & lots of ground white pepper.

And a cup of tae.

Last night I had an old favourite - creamy chorizo and red pesto sauce on wholewheat penne. Hom!

AND there's enough for lunch today :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Last night I had an old favourite - creamy chorizo and red pesto sauce on wholewheat penne. Hom!

AND there's enough for lunch today :D

That sounds lovely, do you have a recipe for the sauce?

That sounds lovely, do you have a recipe for the sauce?

It's barely a recipe!

Put on your penne to boil.

A few minutes before the pasta is ready, slice up chorizo, into frying pan without oil on medium heat, after a few minutes drain off excess oil (I keep it in a wee container for other stuff), chuck in red pesto on top of the chorizo, stir around well, after a minute or two once the pesto is heated through, add in a bit of cream and stir well so that it combines with the pesto (I don't really have measurements; I just add in enough to create a lovely silky sauce with bumps of delicious chorizo).

Strain your pasta and put it back into the pot. Pour your sauce over the pasta in the pot, mix up well so that all the pasta is coated. Serve immediately!

I find the leftovers keep well in the fridge to be microwaved the next day also.

In terms of quantities, I use a whole ring of chorizo (the small ring you get in Aldi) and a whole pot of pesto (again the wee jar you get in Aldi) and I try to be a bit mean with the amount of pasta (watching carbs :() and just a wee bit of cream. That makes two nice generous servings.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

It's barely a recipe!

Put on your penne to boil.

A few minutes before the pasta is ready, slice up chorizo, into frying pan without oil on medium heat, after a few minutes drain off excess oil (I keep it in a wee container for other stuff), chuck in red pesto on top of the chorizo, stir around well, after a minute or two once the pesto is heated through, add in a bit of cream and stir well so that it combines with the pesto (I don't really have measurements; I just add in enough to create a lovely silky sauce with bumps of delicious chorizo).

Strain your pasta and put it back into the pot. Pour your sauce over the pasta in the pot, mix up well so that all the pasta is coated. Serve immediately!

I find the leftovers keep well in the fridge to be microwaved the next day also.

In terms of quantities, I use a whole ring of chorizo (the small ring you get in Aldi) and a whole pot of pesto (again the wee jar you get in Aldi) and I try to be a bit mean with the amount of pasta (watching carbs :() and just a wee bit of cream. That makes two nice generous servings.

Thanks, sounds great, anything with chorizo is good with me :D

Thanks, sounds great, anything with chorizo is good with me :D

It's so good but so BAD!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Currently eating the last porion of a chicken madras I made the other day but on the stove I have this insanely massive pot of Chicken, Chorizo and Chickpea stew.

579134_10151888512691294_701683363_n.jpg

No effort in dinner tonight: cheese and charcuterie platter with grapes and honey. I did make the loaf we ate with it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

A salt-splosion of salt. Risotto with smoked salmon & peas and a chicken kiev from my butchers. Stock cube must have been 90% salt so in combination with salty kiev and salty salmon I feel like I've been out licking seals or other sea creatures for the evening

A stock cube contains 5g salt. Weigh it out. It's a shocking amount when you visual it. I worked (and weighed) this out one lonely, depressing evening. /nerdy sad sack

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

No pics, but tonight I had homemade salami pizza. Well, the dough was from a packet mix (I want to try making my own at some point), I made the sauce myself though. I sort of improvised a recipe for it, it turned out a little bitter so next time I'll try adding sugar/simmering for longer. Topped with cheese and salami.

I also tried my hand at making pesto, but I'm not sure how well it turned out :o It's very sharp and quite a dark green colour as opposed to the bright green you'd usually see. I'll definitely use it but again, I could definitely improve it next time.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    ...the dough was from a packet mix (I want to try making my own at some point)...
    Check out the "death by cheese" pizza recipe in the Cooking Club. I don't think I'll ever use another pizza dough recipe again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Check out the "death by cheese" pizza recipe in the Cooking Club. I don't think I'll ever use another pizza dough recipe again.

That's actually the exact dough I was planning to make once I get around to it! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement