Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    That's actually the exact dough I was planning to make once I get around to it! :)

I have pizza in the oven right now made with that dough. It's the only recipe I've used since it was posted. It's SUPER easy and tasty.

Tonight, our pizza is Serrano ham and pineapple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Been following this thread/forum for ages, tried the cooking club roast chicken today and it came out decently enough even though I couldn't manage to get the herb butter everywhere under the skin. Tasted better than it looks :)

(Sorry for sh*te quality pics)

g5y9.jpg

lbph.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Been following this thread/forum for ages, tried the cooking club roast chicken today and it came out decently enough even though I couldn't manage to get the herb butter everywhere under the skin. Tasted better than it looks :)

(Sorry for sh*te quality pics)

That looks delicious....nice plates, I have those too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I had leftovers to use up during the week.

Arancini with grilled squash and tomato sauce.

This used up the leftover risotto I had from the weekend (chorizo, pea and mint), a little bit of the parsley sauce (put in the centre of the arancini) I had from the bacon and cabbage, a big bowl of over ripe cherry tomatoes and a good chunk of a huge mysterious squash from the garden.

I very rarely deep fry anything but these were lovely breaded with panko crumb. So much so I deep fried the night after too.

dufq.jpg

More leftovers used this week:

Pea and ham soup.
    Fish cakes.

I had ham stock and ham left over, hence the pea and ham soup.
    I also had mash with leeks in, some pan fried haddock and parsley sauce so hence the leeky fish cakes with parsley sauce centre. Even if I say so myself, the fish cakes were really, really tasty in an old school kind of bland way. I will definitely be making these again.

f0qr.jpg

zws6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Nachos with melted cheese, and topped with spicy home made salsa and sour cream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Chicken tikka masala with naan bread and onion bhaji this evening. Thoroughly enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

Last night had a basil chicken pasta, cooked it very differently to normal, cooked the pasta in chicken stock and all the basil tomatoes and onions until all the water soaked in / evaporated, then before serving added in the chicken, didn't fancy boiling the chicken, turned out wicked tasty, defo on the repeat list...

20131005_191700.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've been smothering with the lurgy all week so we've been living on defrosted leftovers from meals past, and takeaways.

Tonight we were at my daughter's for dinner and had beef & Guinness pie with dauphinoise potatoes and broccoli, and I made apple & blackberry crumble - which we had with custard.
    I'm eating my way back to health...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Did Tom Kerridge's chicken in a basket recipe. Brined the chicken overnight in a brine that I made for a beef brisket. 2 litres water, 500g salt, some sugar and aromats. 8 hours in buttermilk after the brine and a dusting of flour and spices. It was lovely and soft, very juicy and the coating was delicious. It was a tad salty but I vac sealed it in a bag of brine overnight, so that may have something to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Chops and chips. Seasoned lamb cutlets grilled until medium rare, with garlicky potato wedges. Nary a vegetable in sight. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Roast beef with gravy, baby potatoes, broccoli, carrots, peas and Yorkshire Pudding :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Tonight we were at my daughter's for dinner and had beef & Guinness pie with dauphinoise potatoes and broccoli, and I made apple & blackberry crumble - which we had with custard.
    I'm eating my way back to health...

Oh my god gawd, drool....

Minder wrote: »
    Did Tom Kerridge's chicken in a basket recipe. Brined the chicken overnight in a brine that I made for a beef brisket. 2 litres water, 500g salt, some sugar and aromats. 8 hours in buttermilk after the brine and a dusting of flour and spices. It was lovely and soft, very juicy and the coating was delicious. It was a tad salty but I vac sealed it in a bag of brine overnight, so that may have something to do with it.

I find when I brine things, I have to rinse them with cold water very well afterwards.

I'm a huge fan of brining but the rinsing is a crucial step, I've found.

dipdip wrote: »
    Chops and chips. Seasoned lamb cutlets grilled until medium rare, with garlicky potato wedges. Nary a vegetable in sight. :pac:

Meh, even without veg, it's still a very nutritious meal. :)

Oh and drool... sounds amazing.

We spent the weekend in Dingle at the Food Festival down there. There was a taste trail that put every city food festival to shame. 73 venues serving taster portions, and 80% of the tasters were €2 each. So for my dinners this weekend, I had a rake of different seafood dishes and some Annascaul sausages and pudding dishes :D. I can't even remember everything I had, there was so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Faith wrote: »
    We spent the weekend in Dingle at the Food Festival down there. There was a taste trail that put every city food festival to shame. 73 venues serving taster portions, and 80% of the tasters were €2 each. So for my dinners this weekend, I had a rake of different seafood dishes and some Annascaul sausages and pudding dishes :D. I can't even remember everything I had, there was so much.

Sounds like heaven and that's what a good food festival should be about. Having taster portions at a teensy tiny price rather than the "samplers" favoured by Taste and the likes at a tenner a pop!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I very rarely deep fry anything but these were lovely breaded with panko crumb. So much so I deep fried the night after too.
    I make my arancini in more of a flat rissole shape rather than balls, which means you can shallow fry them instead. Works just as well IMO.

Alun wrote: »
    I make my arancini in more of a flat rissole shape rather than balls, which means you can shallow fry them instead. Works just as well IMO.

I did them in a small pot with less than 1/2 litre of oil, then did the fish cakes in the same oil the night after - chucked it out then.

Merkin wrote: »
    Sounds like heaven and that's what a good food festival should be about. Having taster portions at a teensy tiny price rather than the "samplers" favoured by Taste and the likes at a tenner a pop!

Exactly! No entry fee, no inflated prices, buckets of choice and enough of each dish to really give you a feel for it. Plus, it was Dingle, so the produce was local and the fish would all have been very freshly caught. Om nom.

For instance, for €2 in one place, we got a shot glass of lobster bisque with a coconut and lemongrass foam and a lime gel. It was gorgeous.

The next place had monkfish scampi for €2, and a decent sized piece too.

Down the road, we had a big portion of seafood and shellfish risotto, served with a large langoustine, for €4.

Another place that we didn't try because the queue was too long was serving scallops on Annascaul black pudding with parsnip purée for €4.

Any other food festival I've been too would have charged entry, and then each of those dishes would have been at least twice the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I was at the food festival but we left at about half 12 because we were both allergic to the crowds, but we had a good root through the street stalls and suffice to say, we were happy bunnies leaving the place!

Hopefully the trail will have a similar set-up next year, will try it then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Faith wrote: »
    Down the road, we had a big portion of seafood and shellfish risotto, served with a large langoustine, for €4.

Totally read that wrong and thought it was served with "a large intestine"! I'm still laughing, oh dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Hey everyone, Superquinn are getting rid of various interesting/gourmet products at the moment:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057055250

B0jangles wrote: »
    Hey everyone, Superquinn are getting rid of various interesting/gourmet products at the moment:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057055250

and you posted that here because.......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

and you posted that here because.......?

I thought that the most adventurous cooks seem to post in this thread and that it might be of interest to them? (Is there a general chat cooking thread I've missed?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

While this may not be the most appropriate thread, I'm sure many users here (myself included) will be happy to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Had a lovely risotto last night made with white wine, chicken stock, diced chicken breast and peas Philadelphia.

Mmmm, baby food, perfect for a hangover.

Nice and handy beef stir fry with a chilli sauce, tasty!

20131006_190207.jpg

dipdip wrote: »

Aren't potatoes vegetables?! :D

Apart from being a carb!! :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

We had lamb stew tonight, perfect food for the cold, wet, dull, miserable day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement