Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

We had lamb madras with basmati and buttered naan, mango chutney, lime pickle and sour cream. Nicely spicy and the lamb was tender, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I made lamb shank tagine and spiced cauliflower cakes this evening. They were delicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

spiced cauliflower cakes

Ooh, got a recipe? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Red kidney bean curry, served with brown rice, naan bread, greek yoghurt and an apple, cucumber and onion pickle (one of the many experimental things I made this week to use up a glut of apples).

I've never had pickle with curry before. MIND IS OFFICIALLY BLOWN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Red kidney bean curry, served with brown rice, naan bread, greek yoghurt and an apple, cucumber and onion pickle (one of the many experimental things I made this week to use up a glut of apples).

I've never had pickle with curry before. MIND IS OFFICIALLY BLOWN.
    Would it resemble chutney? Because I've been eating mango chutney with curry for years, it's fab! :cool: :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Would it resemble chutney? Because I've been eating mango chutney with curry for years, it's fab! :cool: :D

Not really, this was a vinegar/sugar/spices solution with very thinly sliced veg/fruit. Really fresh and light and cuts through the thickness of the curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Ooh, got a recipe? :)
    I'll post it on the random recipe thread later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Mr. Homecider and I got engaged, so we are cooking a very fancy dinner at home. Starter is sugar melon & parma ham served on my posh slate plates; Main course is hare fillets with red wine sauce, asparagus and gratin potatoes; dessert is salted caramel cheesecake.

More pics later if all turns out well!

melonampham2oct2013_zps3deb9328.jpg

melonamphamoct2013_zps8f675b87.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Congrats, enjoy your fancy meal :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Congratulations homemadecider!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Congratulations homemadecider :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Congrats to you both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Congrat HMC.

For dinner tonight I chopped up some smoked bacon (from the smoked joint I got the other day) and cooked it with some mushrooms and garlic, and then put in a jar of creamy tomato pasta sauce. Hopefully it turns out nice.

Will serve with wholemeal fusilli.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

Congrats Mr & Mrs Homemadecider!!

Tonight we had homemade Thai Red Curry, the missus likes when I put the rice in the ramekin!

20131012_194041-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Steak sandwich with onion, aioli, rocket and salt & pepper. Served on a lovely crusty ciabatta.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

:D Congrats Hmc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

Kaiser D wrote: »
    Steak sandwich with onion, aioli, rocket and salt & pepper. Served on a lovely crusty ciabatta.

We LOVE this, especially with Rocket, the new lettuce :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Awwww congratulations Homemadecider, what lovely news!! :) Very best wishes to you both and enjoy the celebrations m'dear xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Thanks all! Here's the hare fillets we had for main course... never eaten it before and it was DELICIOUS. Will be buying again!

harefilletsoct2013_zpsb21a0798.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Congrats homemadecider!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Congrats homemadecider.

P.S. Love the table cloth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

congrats homemadecider! so did ye have the desert? lm mad to see a pic of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mooby

roasted: garlic, broccoli, mushrooms and sunflower seeds with an aubergine chili pesto on posh pasta :)

Honey and mustard home cured bacon; mash with leeks; sweet heart cabbage and parsley sauce.

just seen this now. o.m.g. recipe please??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

just seen this now. o.m.g. recipe please??

I didn't keep note of the cure recipe but it was a wet cure for about 9 days - free range pork. There was brown sugar, salt, onion, peppercorns, cloves, pickling salt in it.

Or is it other stuff you're looking for the recipes for?

I didn't keep note of the cure recipe but it was a wet cure for about 9 days - free range pork. There was brown sugar, salt, onion, peppercorns, cloves, pickling salt in it.

Or is it other stuff you're looking for the recipes for?

lm looking for the mash & leeks, parsley sauce and cabbage please :)

lm looking for the mash & leeks, parsley sauce and cabbage please :)

Going by your name - I wondered why you were looking for bacon recipes!

For the mash, I just sautéed a finely sliced leek in a good bit of butter and added that to the mashed potatoes with a bit of milk and salt and pepper ( I use a potato ricer for finer lump free mash).

Not sure where I got this from but the trick with making a really tasty parsley sauce is to grate a carrot and stick of celery into your milk with a finely sliced onion, some leek a bay leaf, some parsley and thyme and a few peppercorns. Bring to the boil and allow the milk to infuse for a while. Strain the milk.
    Then make a basic white sauce (bechamel) with butter , flour and the infused milk. When done add a teaspoon of dijon mustard and lots and lots of freshly chopped flat leaf parsley (don't even think about using dried parsley) and check seasoning for salt and pepper.

The cabbage I just slice very finely and put into a hot pot with a little melted butter. Stir to coat cabbage, then add a splash of white wine (water will do), some salt and pepper, cover the pot and cook for a few minutes on a medium heat till the cabbage is done to your liking.

Going by your name - I wondered why you were looking for bacon recipes!

For the mash, I just sautéed a finely sliced leek in a good bit of butter and added that to the mashed potatoes with a bit of milk and salt and pepper ( I use a potato ricer for finer lump free mash).

Not sure where I got this from but the trick with making a really tasty parsley sauce is to grate a carrot and stick of celery into your milk with a finely sliced onion, some leek a bay leaf, some parsley and thyme and a few peppercorns. Bring to the boil and allow the milk to infuse for a while. Strain the milk.
    Then make a basic white sauce (bechamel) with butter , flour and the infused milk. When done add a teaspoon of dijon mustard and lots and lots of freshly chopped flat leaf parsley (don't even think about using dried parsley) and check seasoning for salt and pepper.

The cabbage I just slice very finely and put into a hot pot with a little melted butter. Stir to coat cabbage, then add a splash of white wine (water will do), some salt and pepper, cover the pot and cook for a few minutes on a medium heat till the cabbage is done to your liking.

sounds tasty...gonna give it a try soon! ya well l tried to be vegetarian before but love me bacon and cabbage too much:P

Congratulations, Cider!!
    BTW where did you get hare from?
    I'd like to try that.

Twas Mrs Beer's birthday on Saturday so today I'm roasting this thing of beauty.
    Thought it deserved a pic before cooking.
    Will take more pics of the finished product!

8d5sA4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

"the wrote:

8d5sA4.jpg

Sweet MOG! Look at all that lovely fat. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement