Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mooby

Roast veggies, chickpeas in a tomato and olive sauce, saute potatoes followed by lemon cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sweet MOG! Look at all that lovely fat. :)

It really is the most beautiful fat too - really firm and dense - waxy to the touch when cold..
    It takes so much will power not to scoff all the fat!!!
    The difference between well sourced free range pork and the pap you get in the supermarket is really massive!!! Taste it once and you'll never buy Tesco basted loin chops again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

I am lovin' the plates. Just like my granny used to have! :cool:

Slaved over a hot cooker this evening to make this Spaghetti Bolognese. pinocchio_zps4b4bb2f6.gif Especially for April, I gave my granny back her plate and used one of my newer ones. :D

DSC02959_zps1e46e7d0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Fanks! We actually got the hare in Lidl - it was on special there a few weeks ago and it's been in our freezer since. It was expensive (€10 for 300g) but would certainly get it again as it makes a wonderful treat.

Tonight we had fish cakes with pea puree, chips and asparagus.

fishcakesoctober2013_zpsecc9d5f8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

It really is the most beautiful fat too - really firm and dense - waxy to the touch when cold..
    It takes so much will power not to scoff all the fat!!!
    The difference between well sourced free range pork and the pap you get in the supermarket is really massive!!! Taste it once and you'll never buy Tesco basted loin chops again!!

The corner of our garden where the kids have their trampoline was destined to become my chicken run when the kids have grown up. It's now going to be my pig sty! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I had one of those €4 dinners from Aldi... Turkey and Ham... Yum

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Was going to make chicken soup last night but wasn't in the mood for it. Marinated my chicken drumsticks in a combination of spices, barbecue sauce, orange juice and a tablespoon of orange marmalade. Into the oven for 40 mins to get good and sticky. Served with a vegetable rice cooked by absorption. Turned out very tasty!

I've managed to get my hands on parboiled long-grain rice over here. It's the rice I grew up eating in Ireland. In Australia most of the long grain is white as white can be, processed, and turns to stodge very easily. I usually avoid it and go for basmati instead, but there are some dishes where you just don't want a florally-fragrant rice. Couldn't believe when I saw parboiled long-grain being sold as a healthy option (and bloody priced as one, too!)

Daisies wrote: »
    Congrats homemadecider.

P.S. Love the table cloth

Many thanks! Tablecloth is from a trip to Democratic Republic of Congo... Twas the only good part of the trip!

The crackling

4Bfqut.jpg

The roasties

88kkg4.jpg

The lot: Roast loin of pork on the bone (rack of pork); roast spuds, garlic, beetroot, carrot, parsnip, shallot; green beans; beer and cider gravy; apple and ginger salsa verde.
    Washed down with a delicious 2001 Borolo.

4FXfGL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

For dinner on Saturday we had grilled chicken burgers which had been flattened and rubbed with a mix of cayenne pepper, paprika, S&P, chili flakes. Served on this side was grated carrot with sultanas, sesame seeds and balsamic vinegar and corn on the cob.

DA18A3F5-7D08-4A37-849F-4283B652A18D-1177-0000014FAFE9CCC9_zps5d21cfe3.jpg

Last night, I went out for dinner. I chose the Rotisserie chicken wings and spiced wedges and my friend had prawn and crab toes in a spicy jalapeno sauce with chips.

The chicken was very disappointing, very bland and poorly seasoned. Have been a couple of times to this restaurant and always have good expectations but seem to come out disappointed. That'll be the last for dinner anyway!

D7D87102-7DD4-4C35-B5A2-72416E11CCF3-1177-0000014FB97337C7_zps7a367dc8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

That crackling *drools*

decisions wrote: »
    That crackling *drools*

I think that was the nicest piece of roast pork I've ever had. Crispy crackling, irresistible fat and butter tender moist meat with amazing delicate flavour.
    We've been getting pigs from the same farm for a few of years now but this one seems the best - I reckon it's down to the butchering. This one was beautifully prepared by Eoin from O' Mahony's in the English Market, Cork for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

It looks incredible, I'm going to have to to to the butchers this week and get a big slab of porkk skin for some proper pork scratchings.

• Administrators Posts: 53,852 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I've never had crackling. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I made massaman chicken curry last night. Flippin gorgeous. I did use a jar of paste but it made a fine substitute for our recently shut down favourite take away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I think that was the nicest piece of roast pork I've ever had. Crispy crackling, irresistible fat and butter tender moist meat with amazing delicate flavour.
    We've been getting pigs from the same farm for a few of years now but this one seems the best - I reckon it's down to the butchering. This one was beautifully prepared by Eoin from O' Mahony's in the English Market, Cork for us.

Hi Beer,

Is that the butcher on the right hand side as you enter from the "right" entrance on the Grand Parade. I've bought ham from there recently and as well as being superb, the man serving me is a real gent. Last weekend I bought a neck of pork and he said to me to just carry on with my morning and pick it up on my way home.

Loire.

PS: what's that OMG mixture at the top of your plate and can you provide recipe / instructions? Tx

Loire wrote: »
    Hi Beer,

Is that the butcher on the right hand side as you enter from the "right" entrance on the Grand Parade. I've bought ham from there recently and as well as being superb, the man serving me is a real gent. Last weekend I bought a neck of pork and he said to me to just carry on with my morning and pick it up on my way home.

Loire.

PS: what's that OMG mixture at the top of your plate and can you provide recipe / instructions? Tx

That's the butchers alright.
    Great meat, interesting cuts, lovely people.

That was the apple salsa verde.
    Grate about an apple and a half (eating apple) into a bowl with the juice of half a lemon to stop it going brown. Add small thumb sized knob of ginger finely grated, a good spoon of wholegrain mustard, a finely minced clove of garlic, a teaspoon of honey, a dash of both olive oil and cider vinegar and finally a good big fist full of fresh herbs finely chopped ( I used sage, marjoram, oregano, parsley, mint and chives). Add some salt and pepper and mix well.
    I very much made it up as I went along but that's the gist of it.
    If I was buying herbs for this I'd get flat leaved parsley, mint and either basil or oregano.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Many thanks! Tablecloth is from a trip to Democratic Republic of Congo... Twas the only good part of the trip!

I have numerous cloths like that, I use them as sarongs and as skirts.

Last night I made dinner for an American friend who was staying with me and got way too excited about cottage pie made by an Irish person!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

How much did that rack of pork cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Last night I made Coq au Vin, served with steamed potatoes and peas (must have peas!). Dunno what went wrong but it wasn't my finest Coq au Vin.

031_zps86d12304.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Last night, we had shepherd's pie. Maybe there's something in the air because it was far from my best shepherd's pie too! I stupidly used Very Lazy Garlic - I had a jar of it in the fridge and thought "What's the harm?". The harm was, it's vile. It's in white wine vinegar, so it's practically pickled. Yuck, it completely ruined the taste for me.

Faith wrote: »
    Last night, we had shepherd's pie. Maybe there's something in the air because it was far from my best shepherd's pie too! I stupidly used Very Lazy Garlic - I had a jar of it in the fridge and thought "What's the harm?". The harm was, it's vile. It's in white wine vinegar, so it's practically pickled. Yuck, it completely ruined the taste for me.

Do you not find them taste of sweaty armpits? Lazy garlic, lazy ginger, lazy lemongrass, etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Do you not find them taste of sweaty armpits? Lazy garlic, lazy ginger, lazy lemongrass, etc

Yeah, actually, that would probably be a good description! It also left a horrible feeling in my mouth, like it coated it or something.

I used to get the Barts garlic a few years ago and it was great stuff, so I just hoped this would be along those lines. Alas, it was not.

Last night I made Coq au Vin, served with steamed potatoes and peas (must have peas!). Dunno what went wrong but it wasn't my finest Coq au Vin.

Hi Mrs Fox,

I find using white wine rather than red to be better when making coq au vin - the red wine just makes the chicken & veg too dark for my liking.

Loire.

Loire wrote: »
    Hi Mrs Fox,

I find using white wine rather than red to be better when making coq au vin - the red wine just makes the chicken & veg too dark for my liking.

Loire.

Loire wouldn't that make it Coq au Riesling? Well, you don't necessarily have to use Alsace wine for it IMO. I love Coq au Riesling more than I love Coq au Vin, but I only had thyme yesterday and not tarragon, which I think is a crucial ingredient.

Loire wouldn't that make it Coq au Riesling? Well, you don't necessarily have to use Alsace wine for it IMO. I love Coq au Riesling more than I love Coq au Vin, but I only had thyme yesterday and not tarragon, which I think is a crucial ingredient.

Hiya. I just substitute any white I have for red, but you're probably right re the tarragon!

Tonight is basically bangers and mash, a repeat from Nigel Slater's -- roasted leek and pork sausages in honey mustard & thyme glaze, mashed carrots and potatoes, caramelised red onion, and Heinz Five Beanz.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

Does this count?:rolleyes:

No cooking tonight sadly, sandwich and 2 plums...

96f9b173b824082eb075b873b9e26212.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

Spuds, mushy peas and Fray Bentos meatballs. Processed c**p and I'm glad I got them free; I don't think I'd buy them anytime soon.

Meataballs_zps95ce4777.jpg

• Advertisement

Slow cooked lamb stew with plenty of rosemary & thyme, served with just-out-of-the-oven crockpot bread. SO HAPPY.

beefstewandcrockpotbreadoct2013_zpsd1641af0.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement