Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Last night we had beef shin with marrow bones, braised mushrooms, cauliflower puree with ras-al-hanout, glazed carrots and a red wine jus.

Tonight was a couple of dishes. First was a calamari bocadillo with dijon mustard mayo and sliced green pickled chillies. Second dish was a boneless spiced chicken thigh with aubergine puree and green olive dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭M1XR

Been drafted in to cook for a 12 seat dinner party in 3 weeks for a friend.
    Have fairly wide scope for 5 or 6 course so started trialing dishes today

Here is the starter: Coconut and Butternut squash soup with ginger, chilli and coriander. Served with pak choi

IHphYbs.jpg?1?6064

Also made a Beef Wellington for 3. Lot of work but impressive looking. Trying to get a pic of it off friend

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

RasTa wrote: »
    How much did that rack of pork cost?

Afraid I can't answer that as we bought the whole pig (between 4 people).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I had penne pasta with homemade putanesca sauce with a bit of tuna and chilli thrown in for good measure. Very tasty, I'm getting pretty good at the homemade tomato sauces!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Winter warmer of honey & mustard sausages, wholegrain mustard mash, carrots & peas and onion gravy

9AFFCD6F-39D3-4640-9672-8615F53D088D-360-000000C699385E10_zps8ab58554.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

tmc86 wrote: »
    Winter warmer of honey & mustard sausages, wholegrain mustard mash, carrots & peas and onion gravy

How long did you cook those sausages for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Spuds, mushy peas and Fray Bentos meatballs. Processed c**p and I'm glad I got them free; I don't think I'd buy them anytime soon.

Were they the slightest tasty? Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

fussyonion wrote: »
    How long did you cook those sausages for?

I had them in the oven for approx half an hour @ 200c (the oven wasn't preheated though as I realised I had it on the wrong setting!)

Mrs Beer did dinner last night:
    Grilled chicken thighs with lemon and jewelled couscous.

5n8ewg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I made a fish stew with cod and prawns. I served it with reheated veg biryani. It was a good combination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Birthday here tonight so for dinner we had spaghetti, meatballs, and diabetes.

JAZ4ZGul.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

Oh dear jesus I have gained 4 stone licking the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I had to cover up some pig pen subsidence with ganache and seem to have over done it just a tad.

I had to cover up some pig pen subsidence with ganache and seem to have over done it just a tad.

JUST A TAD?!!:eek::D

Tonight we had homemade chips. That's it. By the time the chips were cooked, no one was interested in have sausages or beans with it. Fine by the cook :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last night we had cottage pie and buttered cabbage. Lovely comfort food for a miserable day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Chilli Con Carne with Aldi Angus mince, loads of lovely kidney beans and brown rice. Delish, even though I only use the Old El Paso sachet. Must see about making up my own spice mix.

Also, such a good meal to cook in bulk. I have today's lunch out of it plus two more portions in the freezer.

Last night I made a shephard's pie using Gordon Ramsey's recipe. Crap photo but was utterly delicious (only sampled it last night as my wife brought some into work, but will be digging in properly tonight!).

2e4bywz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lj92

i just made a lovely Salmon and veg dinner, im trying to avoid carbs so im filling up on veg! i made it in tinfoil in the oven at 180c for about 20 mins

serves 2

2 fillets of salmon
    2 spring onions chopped
    chili flakes or fresh chili a good pinch
    1 clove of crushed garlic
    1/2 lemon
    1/2 carrot cut into chunks
    a few florets of broccoli
    sweetcorn a good handful
    handful of cashew nuts
    3 tbsp of natural yogurt/ cream/ creme fraiche
    1 tbsp of honey
    and i added prawns too !!

just quickly fry your veg to just soften them, add the garlic once they are nearly cooked just don't let it burn!
    lay out a big sheet of tin foil on a baking tray, place the salmon skin side down on the foil.
    add the cooked veg on top, drizzle the honey, sprinkle with chili flakes on top and half your lemon and put the wedges in! season and into the oven for 10 mins
    lower the oven to 170c, add the prawns if you are using them, add the cashews and the yogurt! bake for another 10mins

its delicious!!!

you could have it with potatoes or rice but i had it on its own and it was really filling!

hope you enjoy!

Dónal wrote: »
    Last night I made a shephard's pie using Gordon Ramsey's recipe.

That's my go-to recipe :)

Tonight I made Pregnant Jools Pasta. Yummo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

I love that dish Mrs. Fox.

Tonight we had scallops with chorizo, tomato salad, mixed leaves, a great dressing of fig vinegar, wholegrain mustard, honey and olive oil, and ciabatta toasts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Stuffed chicken (bought stuffed, boned and rolled) with sticky spiced carrots & potatoes and obligatory greens. The veg were so nice I swapped most of my chicken for more, when my partner lands in after work tonight he'll be eating most of a chicken and half a potato :) Luckily he's happy enough to eat an entire chicken. He might be part fox.

bff7ac01-ec71-4d77-bdf0-c8aef2b48201_zpsdebd2085.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just remembered to take a pic half way through.....

Beef Biriyani, sag paneer (using halumi cheese - too salty) and naan breads with mango and plum chutney.

null_zps6f9ecbce.jpg

to start we had fresh corn on the cob with butter, salt and pepper.
    Then North African spicy lamb pasties with peas.

4xHpmy.jpg

4Watxz.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Tartiflette, so moreish!
    It's a traditional French dish of potatoes, onions, lardons, Reblochon cheese and cream. Not good for the old diet but really tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

You simply can't bate a big dirty cavery dinner on a wet Friday lunchtime!!

2E2D7C7F-1DDA-4E64-8AE2-845B86EEA1B2-12843-00000835CE3DE85A_zpsbc712288.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Paddy Fields

Looks lovely... Where was that and how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

The Arc Bar €11.95.
    I won't eat anything else today though I reckon, completely stuffed.. Actually, just woke from a sneeky nap on my desk there..

Tartiflette, so moreish!
    It's a traditional French dish of potatoes, onions, lardons, Reblochon cheese and cream. Not good for the old diet but really tasty.

I'd have this literally everyday on a ski trip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Had some Lamb Jalfrezi I think it's called, with brown rice. Second time making it, though first with lamb, did it with chicken last time. Lamb is much nicer with it.

jm32u5t.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

We had ricotta fritters with a light tomato and basil sauce and a swirl of balsamic vinegar. Spinach salad with toasted pumpkin seeds, marinated anchovies, soft boiled eggs and tomatoes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement