Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Beef stew from the slow cooker with very rough cheesy sunflower seed scones. They were pretty doughy because it turns out you can't just swap all the sugar in a scone recipe for cheese but I really love doughy stuff so worth the inevitable belly ache

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Tonight we had crab curry from Peter Kuruvita's excellent Sri Lankan cookbook - Serendipity. Made from fresh blue swimmer crabs from my local oriental supermarket, flavour was amazing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

This evening I made mixed paella and potato omlette. Will use less potatoes next time, damn thing took a skid when I was trying to plate it.

31E00636B0404F8E8D8B86AAA8664FFF-0000324795-0003404152-00640L-C83ABB44D5AD4FC6B93F2FD5FD1024BE.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Mexican buffet night:

mexbuffet.jpg

Pulled pork in almond mole; whole chili poppers filled with goat's cheese, mozzarella and coriander; prawns marinated in lime juice, chili and garlic and cooked with red peppers; avocado cream, fresh salsa, sour cream, cheese and mini tortillas.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

Tonight's dinner was homemade pizza and wine night, I love rocket on mine, OH is all about tomatoes and basil!

It was a chicken, mushroom, onion, chorizo, jalapeño and cheese with the above...

5a01105db653d7e8e16e33dd48273d37.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

We had tiger prawns in filo pastry with sweet chilli dipping sauce for starters, followed by pot roast beef in a rich red wine gravy, followed by a snooze on the sofa.
    Twas delish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Chinese Pork mince hotpot:
    Pork mince, aubergine, green pepper, spring onions, onion, tofu, Chinese sausage, preserved black beans, ginger, garlic, chillies, rice wine, stock, soysauce, sesame oil,cornflour.
    Served with white Thai rice.
    Much, much nicer than it looks.

Could you recommend a type of chinese sausage to use in something like fried rice? I'm just about to go out and get some, but I think my local asian market has quite a few types and I have no clue which is likely to be appropriate :)

TYVMIA

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

B0jangles wrote: »
    Could you recommend a type of chinese sausage to use in something like fried rice? I'm just about to go out and get some, but I think my local asian market has quite a few types and I have no clue which is likely to be appropriate :)

TYVMIA
    In my experience , they're all quite similar in flavour. They just vary in quality like different brand Irish sausages. It's a matter of finding one you like. I use them straight from the freezer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

In my experience , they're all quite similar in flavour. They just vary in quality like different brand Irish sausages. It's a matter of finding one you like. I use them straight from the freezer.

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we are having lamb chops with home made spicy wedges. Delish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Big fat smoked fish cakes, mash, broccoli and some very flung-together-at-the-last-minute tartare sauce. Lashings of white wine.

fishcakestartareoct2013_zpsfbf9ac8a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Roast pork with crackly of crackliest crackling :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Had dinner with Mr. Faith's parents today - roast beef, roast potatoes, yorkshire puddings, mashed carrots and parsnips and gravy. Perfect Sunday lunch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Currently sitting in the kebab place waiting for a chicken kebab tray, the height of sophistication and a complete counterpoint to last nights dinner. Went to Seven Social with a couple of friends, oh me oh my. Started out with a strawberry & sheeps cheese salad with toasted hazelnuts, then scallops with pulled pork belly (from a piggy they reared themselves) some incredible sauce and purple potatoes and we split a polenta brack with a really good parfait and a peanut butter & chocolate sundae between us for dessert. I'm a *little* foggy on the ingredients of some of what I ate because of 1.5 litres of a gorgeous Italian white [Il Padrino but not sure if that is the grape or just a brand name] (shared between 3, I didn't hork it all back myself <shifty eyes>)

Also at the table and which I got nibbles of thanks to generous friends were starters of onglet with [shifty on details, with something] and pumpkin & blue cheese soup then pheasant with a barley cake and other goodness and a second round of scallops. We were happy & fat leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Tonight we had mackerel fillets with diced beetroot in a horseradish cream for a starter, followed by a seafood laksa of prawns and scallops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Loopy wrote: »
    You simply can't bate a big dirty cavery dinner on a wet Friday lunchtime!!

That actually looks horrible- like someone got sick on a plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

Tonight was Bruchetta followed by Mexican stuffed oven roasted chorizo peppers!

drquirky wrote: »
    That actually looks horrible- like someone got sick on a plate.

That's extremely rude and unnecessary. If you have nothing nice to say, then do not post here again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

byc8j.jpg

Cheesy cottage pie. We ate it with some crusty buttered baguette. And a glass or two of vino.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

For the next few nites. Chicken ciaccatore

Beef n butternut squash cassarole

arroz con pollo (chicken n rice?)

Pics to follow, damn windows phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Minder wrote: »
    Tonight we had crab curry from Peter Kuruvita's excellent Sri Lankan cookbook - Serendipity. Made from fresh blue swimmer crabs from my local oriental supermarket, flavour was amazing.

I watched him cook this on his show and it looked divine. My mother makes a killer blue crab curry, I miss it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Homemade veg soup - potatoes, onions, parsnips, leeks and carrots with homemade brown bread (well made in my bread maker!). Followed by a beef stew cooked all day in the slow cooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Faith wrote: »
    Had dinner with Mr. Faith's parents today - roast beef, roast potatoes, yorkshire puddings, mashed carrots and parsnips and gravy. Perfect Sunday lunch!

Am I your father in law? Thats what I cooked too, exactly!!:eek:

Tried the Jamie Oliver Yorkies and they were perfect.

See you next Sunday!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Yesterday I made a beef & guinness stew with wholegrain mustard mash. Served with some crusty baguette for the mopping!

BDEE8A0E-7DF9-4FFF-9A6A-A3C81C872484-4356-0000053E96257C71_zps2529bec2.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The path to yesterday's dinner was less than straightforward.

We have some bags of frozen venison in the freezer, given to me by a friend who has too much, isn't all that keen on it and wanted rid. I'd eat venison every other day, so I was happy to take it off her hands. The minor snag is that I got it frozen and unlabeled, so it's a bit of a lucky dip as to what cut I get. Generally so far it's been leg (or similar), so I've been making pies and stews.

Yesterday I was all set to make the venison rendang from the GBBO cookbook, so I took a bag of venison out of the freezer on Saturday to defrost in the fridge. When I took it out of the fridge yesterday, it turned out to be the most beautiful tenderloin - not exactly a candidate for a curry in a pie!

So I had to completely re-think dinner. I crushed some black peppercorns, juniper berries and salt to make a simple dry rub, then pan-seared the loin before roasting it for ten minutes. In the meantime I sauteed some mirepoix with the trimmings of the meat and made a quick stock, added red wine, fresh herbs and a bay leaf and reduced to make a sauce, which was served with the medium-rare venison and some crushed new potatoes. It tasted terrific, but looked a bit scruffy, so no photo.

murphym7 wrote: »
    Am I your father in law? Thats what I cooked too, exactly!!:eek:

Tried the Jamie Oliver Yorkies and they were perfect.

See you next Sunday!:D

Wouldn't that be hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

That sounds amazing, oscarBravo. Funny you should mention venison, I was about to put up a recipe on the random thread -- from yesterday's Sunday Times' magazine which I like the sound of. Venison Bourgiugnon.

Please put all venison recipes up - I'm hoping to buy some tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Mushroom Risotto

10409466643_04075503a2_z.jpg
    Risotto by boardsmember, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We had chilli con carne. Added a shot of espresso and smokey chipotle, worked a treat! No pic - got devoured.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement