Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Tonight we had deep fried panko breaded prawns with roast sweet potato dusted with shichimi pepper and served that with a roasted sweetcorn and tomato salsa with feta and mint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A salad of roast squash, barley, feta, tomato & coriander with a straggly old bit of yellow sole from Aldi I found hiding at the back of the freezer. Tasty & got some veggies into my system after a few weeks where it seemed like everything I ate was crispy, yellow and a close friend of ketchup.

158e442f-07f8-4d58-8e09-70baad4f84e2_zps1aec14cb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I had carrot and kale stirfry with peanut sauce and sushi rice. It was yummy

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Round roast with root veg roasted in olive oil, sea salt and vinegar, onions cooked with the beef, and roast potatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we'll be having roast chicken covered in olive oil, hot paprika, chilli flakes, salt, pepper, basil and thyme.

Will serve with home made spicy wedges and some sort of veg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Last night's dinner was unenjoyable. Mr Fox got a rack of lamb from SuperValu for €13, ready for the oven. There was only sprinkles of chilli flakes and parsley on top. The only instructions was to put the rack in the oven at 170C for 30-40 min.
    I seared the fatty top in a hot pan, seasoned with salt and pepper, threw in a sprig on rosemary that I had and a couple of garlic cloves. Then in the oven they went.
    I thought 170 was too low but left it as it is, but cooked for 45 min. After 15min resting, it was almost impossible to slice the rack. The meat in the tiny middle bit was fine and pink, but the rest of it was so rare it stuck to the bone. The fat was, still very very fat.
    So I seared the surfaces another minute just to let the meat cook just a little bit more.
    Out of 2 chops each, I probably ate about a thumb size of meat. So disappointed.
    At least the roast potatoes were fluffy, the carrots were tender, the peas were always wonderful and the garlic mushroom was nice. And the homemade gravy was a thumbs up.

When something like this happens I'd always think, "Should've gone to the proper butcher".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Faith wrote: »
    That's extremely rude and unnecessary. If you have nothing nice to say, then do not post here again.

Only seeing this now - If I'd actually made it, I would have been HIGHLY insulted but as I didn't I'll pass on his constructive criticism to the local boozer! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I posted these in the veggie forum too but wanted to share them here aswell. We've only recently gone veggie though so first pic is a pre veggie dinner from a while ago.

Tuna Sushi

C334CF85-9BBB-4C38-9F0D-DCE6A99FE350-861-000002712EE2941B_zpse17b4eaa.jpg

Now the veggie dinners :)

Braised leeks, peas and greens with white wine and polenta.

8BE086AC-B29F-4EBF-8268-773689857825-861-00000271393B4B83_zpsdcd6f76e.jpg

Spicy tofu noodle bowl

86AEE2BC-5E7E-4FA9-A97B-BD77034C5683-861-000002714F5859B9_zpse3b7307b.jpg

Tomato and Basil risotto. Finished with a good drizzle of basil oil.

72683A8D-EBCD-4EE5-BEB7-AE7942E06BDC-861-0000027122CF2ABE_zps246f2227.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I posted these in the veggie forum too but wanted to share them here aswell. We've only recently gone veggie though so first pic is a pre veggie dinner from a while ago.

Dear god that all looks delicious - I am sitting here practically drooling over the the braised leeks and the risotto in particular :o

Edit: I have arborio rice! I have basil oil! May I ask for the recipe please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Was feeling very tired, cold and hungry when I got home from work yesterday and just wanted to eat rubbish/something stodgy. Mr. Merkin made delicious chicken kiev, oven chips and peas and it hit the spot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

A salad of roast squash, barley, feta, tomato & coriander with a straggly old bit of yellow sole from Aldi I found hiding at the back of the freezer. Tasty & got some veggies into my system after a few weeks where it seemed like everything I ate was crispy, yellow and a close friend of ketchup.

would love the method for the salad if you dont mind?

would love the method for the salad if you dont mind?

Sure thing! Normally I make this with bulgur wheat but I didn't have any and I'm trying to use up the stuff in my press. I diced half a large butternut squash and roasted it at 170 with a little olive oil & salt till it was soft and a little caramelised around the edges. At the same time I cooked the barley, boiled it till soft with a bite to it (cannot remember how long that takes, I was mooching in and out of the kitchen at the time, wikihow says 30 mins)

Once the barley was cooked I popped it into a colander and rinsed with cold water to cool it down and stop it cooking anymore then I mixed barley, crumbled feta, scallions, diced tomatoes, squash cubes and coriander and seasoned with lemon juice & salt.

To my mind it was actually a little too sweet, it needed more feta (or bacon!!) as a counterpoint to all the squash but I was trying to be healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Dinner tonight was a real treat.

Beef wellington - tender fillet steaks seared, topped with a duxelles made of mushrooms, garlic, herbs, white wine and cream (had no shallots), and wrapped in delicious puff pastry. With this I served steamed greens, garlic roast potatoes and creamy mushroom sauce.

And an almond Magnum for dessert. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Today I made a lamb, barley and kale stew with lemon. It was gorgeous and surprisingly light.

Dinner tonight was Grilled chicken thighs marinated in sriracha sauce with an asian slaw and glass noodles.

Last night's dinner with a different hat on. Salad of roast squash, diced cucumber, pepper, tomato, crumbled feta, olives, BACON and some bagged watercress/rocket stuff. With breaded cod courtesy of the fish fridge at Aldi.)

5b05a31b-c35f-453b-9c37-9f6d7a668934_zpsf7c9cc28.jpg

Will be tomorrow's lunch too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Minder wrote: »
    Dinner tonight was Grilled chicken thighs marinated in sriracha sauce with an asian slaw and glass noodles.

do share your slaw, please.
    I loves me slaws, I do.

Twas shredded red cabbage, chinese cabbage, nashi pear, red onion, beanshoots, mint, coriander, crushed birdseye chilli. Dressed it with lime juice and ponzu dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Wedding anniversary today!

Dinner tonight was rib-eye steaks, fried potatoes, garlic mushrooms and Devil's Steak Sauce http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/25441/devils-steak-sauce.
    Delicious! :)

Followed by Aldi's profiteroles which were very good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Roasted chicken thighs with a mustard and herb coating, served with rice and cepes (which had been sautéed with garlic and parsley).
    It was lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Happy anniversary Gloomtastic! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Came home from a long day at work to a nice hot beef stew from the slow cooker. Husband loved it, I thought it needed a little something...

277445.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Dolbert wrote: »
    Came home from a long day at work to a nice hot beef stew from the slow cooker. Husband loved it, I thought it needed a little something...

Yeah, a spoon. That looks delicious. I'm a sucker for stews.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Burgers (with little lumps of cheddar cheese inside), sweet potato fries and chipotle ketchup. So tasty, and I have one left over for tonight's dinner too :D

d60d3f71-78de-451c-a605-b81a07656159.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Watching Gordon Ramsay home cooking show today and it was about street food so had to copy his Prawn Tostada recipe.

Also have some chicken in the fridge for his buttermilk fried chicken tomorrow

4EIjgdWl.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I was down in Kilkenny last night, and found a place called Ristorante Rinuccini. I was too ravenous to take a photo of the dish, but I had a 8 ounce fillet with a few prawns on top of it. Bit disappointed with the lack of veg, but dear god it was one of the finest dinners I ever had. It's worth the drive down to the city alone.

Spaghetti with veal meatballs - a freezer staple in our house for those nights when the traffic is bad or there is nothing in the fridge. Veal mince with garlic, parsley and lemon rind cooked in a light tomato sauce with a splash of white wine and a handful of chopped basil.

RasTa wrote: »
    Also have some chicken in the fridge for his buttermilk fried chicken tomorrow

Snap. Doing the Tom Kerridge version of Chicken in a Barsket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Went out for French food tonight. We had olives and bread to nibble with our (very delicious) house wine. My starter was a herb crusted ballontine of smoked ham hock, served with an apricot chutney and clementine segments. I expected it to be cold but it was served warm, and was like a slice of sausage. It was delicious.

The main was confit pork belly, layered with "boudin noir" (aka black pudding!), served with crispy kale and finished with an apple cider reduction. Very good, but a bit rich for me.

Dessert was the cheese board and there was a fantastic selection - 10 cheeses, from which I could choose 4, with lovely thin rye crackers. The hubby had a creme brulee for dessert so we went for the best of both worlds and went halfo halfo. Lovely meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Minder wrote: »
    Snap. Doing the Tom Kerridge version of Chicken in a Barsket.

Had it last week for dinner/snacks

Advice? Take the skin off the drumsticks ! Oh, and you can use the rub for Chicken breasts etc, it's a nice coating

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement