Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

BBQ Brisket, pulled pork, burnt end beans, coleslaw, onion rings & a whiskey sour. Also about a pint of BBQ Sauce. Time to sleep off the meat sweats now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Fish pie for us the last two nights. I'd no raw prawns so I grabbed some cooked king prawns from Tesco. My god, they were like eating tyres. They were borderline inedible, tbh. The rest of the fish was lovely, but not worth the premium price.

I don't actually like reheated fish pie either. I must get smaller dishes so I can make 2 portions at a time, rather than 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

dipdip wrote: »
    Went out for French food tonight. We had olives and bread to nibble with our (very delicious) house wine. My starter was a herb crusted ballontine of smoked ham hock, served with an apricot chutney and clementine segments. I expected it to be cold but it was served warm, and was like a slice of sausage. It was delicious.

The main was confit pork belly, layered with "boudin noir" (aka black pudding!), served with crispy kale and finished with an apple cider reduction. Very good, but a bit rich for me.

Dessert was the cheese board and there was a fantastic selection - 10 cheeses, from which I could choose 4, with lovely thin rye crackers. The hubby had a creme brulee for dessert so we went for the best of both worlds and went halfo halfo. Lovely meal.
    Was it real French boudin noir (ie much softer than the Irish version) or was it Irish black pudding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Was it real French boudin noir (ie much softer than the Irish version) or was it Irish black pudding?

I'm guessing it was real French stuff, although I wouldn't have known. It was soft and crumbly. It wasn't Irish - I would have been amazed if it was as I don't live in Ireland (more's the pity). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Pork Loin, Homemade Apple Sauce, Mashed Potatoes with a geansai load of real butter, Turnip, Curly Kale (mashed it into the spuds to Colcannonise it !), Carrots and Broccoli (oh and the mandatory gravy !!)

Nom nom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Homemade pizza - ready rolled puff pastry topped with chorizo, red onion, green pepper, mushrooms and Feta with rocket and spinach on top after cooking. Served with sweet potato wedges and a bottle of rose. Great start to a long weekend :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

I almost never cook a starter, so seeing as I did tonight I thought I'd share a photo of it here on the thread.

King prawn marinated throughout the day in olive oil, garlic, chilli and chinese five spices. Quickly fried on a low heat in more olive oil and a knob of butter, they were knock out and there's six more in the fridge for tomorrow evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Also had pizza tonight. Pizza was always an easy Friday dinner consisting of some frozen variety, but I discovered I'm lactose intolerant recently so obviously that's not an option any more. So I've been making my own but still keeping it fairly lazy.

Tonight I used a base mix from Tesco, passata for the sauce (I had been making my own but got this out of laziness last week, worked well so I used it again :o), lactose free cheese, ham, a homegrown tomato with a pinch of dried herbs. Turned out very well! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Dinner tonight is lamb shanks oven cooked in red wine, pearl barely, garlic, shallots, diced spuds and celery.

Late dinner tonight, hopefully it should be done soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

Last night was a super steak sandwich with some cubed rosemary potatoes and some tasty Pinot Grigio to wash it all down, love a nice Friday night dinner with some vino the begin the (la la la la laaaa long) weekend! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭dmc17

Today I'll be mostly eating, Shepherd's Pie :)

ShepherdsPie_zpsf994abd9.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Chicken Tikka Masala with naam bread and rice made with what was left of a roast chicken I had yesterday.
    Burnt the damn naan breads but it all went down well nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Well I did the Chicken in a Barsket last night and it was a total disappointment. Far too salty. I'm thinking that I need a 10% salt solution instead of the 25% recommended in Tom Kerridge's recipe. I'm going to get stubborn about this, brined and fried chicken shouldn't be that difficult to make. In all other respects, it's a winner - moist meat, great crust, good herb & spice flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Julia Childs Beef Bourguignon, rice & fried potatoes.
    Very comforting.

DB357215-0AD7-4CE6-81CA-1297E7758E6C-511-0000003204CB1FD8_zps55e21df9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Tonight we are having steak with homemade spicy wedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Tonight we had quail - deboned legs and supremes with a dry spice rub served with quinoa with kale, roasted corn, pumpkin seeds, finely diced red onion and dressed with a splash of reduced verjuice.

• Administrators Posts: 53,852 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Went out for dinner tonight in Camden Kitchen,

for starter I had Wicklow Wood Pigeon on toast with girolles and parfait.

For main I had Wicklow Venison saddle, root vegetable terrine, sprout leaves and spiced game jus

with a cashel blue and quince paste, grape chutney and cracker desert.

To say it was amazing is an understatement!

My main:

WP_20131026_005.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Did a little tapas plate furnished with goodies from my favourite Spanish deli....nyum :)

Grew the tomatoes and basil myself though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Loopy wrote: »
    Julia Childs Beef Bourguignon, rice & fried potatoes.
    Very comforting.

Fair play Loopy. Never had the courage to try Julia Childs Bourguignon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Been a while (or may its just that I cook the same stuff and its been posted too many times!)

Anyways, had a nice marinated fillet of pork last night which I roasted with some honeyed parsnips. Was in several minds around rice or mash to serve with it but finally tried fondant potatoes (last and only effort was a disaster). Nailed it this time and will definitely be trying again!

Dined in front of a roaring fire and washed it down with a nice Burgundy we were given recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Last night i made Neven Maguires wild boar sausage cassoulet except with pork sausages that I got in M&S, served it with buttery mash - very tasty, sausages were lovely and they're Irish too :-)

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Fair play Loopy. Never had the courage to try Julia Childs Bourguignon.

It's a lot of work but worth it. I used feather steak (jamie oliver reckons its the poor mans fillet) and it was so tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Loopy wrote: »
    It's a lot of work but worth it. I used feather steak (jamie oliver reckons its the poor mans fillet) and it was so tender.

Where does the feather cut come from Loopy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

kenco wrote: »
    Been a while (or may its just that I cook the same stuff and its been posted too many times!)

Anyways, had a nice marinated fillet of pork last night which I roasted with some honeyed parsnips. Was in several minds around rice or mash to serve with it but finally tried fondant potatoes (last and only effort was a disaster). Nailed it this time and will definitely be trying again!

Dined in front of a roaring fire and washed it down with a nice Burgundy we were given recently.

Hi Kenco, what did the marinade consist of, and how did you then cook it? I love pork fillet and am always looking for new recipes for it. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I made a Jamie Oliver "15 Minute Meal" last night. Greek Chicken with cous cous and tzatziki. Took me the best part of an hour :) Was delicious though.

Merkin wrote: »
    Where does the feather cut come from Loopy?

I believe it's the shoulder blade. He cut me 2 steaks as well so I'm going to flash fry them.. They are very lean cuts so not sure how they'll turn out. My butcher reckons they'll be awful fried so I hope to prove him wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Hi Kenco, what did the marinade consist of, and how did you then cook it? I love pork fillet and am always looking for new recipes for it. :)

It was pre marinated in what could best be described as a Greek style tomato and herb type paste. Lots of options for diy I guess honey and mustard would be one off the top of my head. Roast it in the oven with the parsnips for around 40 mins at 170c. Came out perfect nice and moist

leahyl wrote: »
    Last night i made Neven Maguires wild boar sausage cassoulet except with pork sausages that I got in M&S, served it with buttery mash - very tasty, sausages were lovely and they're Irish too :-)

Recipe please! I have wild boar sausages in the freezer and need a recipe. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

dipdip wrote: »
    Recipe please! I have wild boar sausages in the freezer and need a recipe. :)

Sure :) First of all can I ask where you got the wild boar sausages?!

Here's the recipe:

4tbsp olive oil
    8 large wild boar sausages
    1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
    2 celery sticks, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
    1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
    1 tbsp chopped sage
    2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
    400g tin of haricot beans, drained and rinsed
    1 tsp smoked paprika
    sea salt and black pepper
    chopped flat leaf parsley to garnish
    crusty bread and creamy mashed potatoes

Preheat the oven to 180c. Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Add the sausages and cook gently for 1-2 minutes or until they are just sealed and lightly browned on all sides. Transfer the sausages to a plate and set aside until needed.

Wipe out the frying pan and then add the remaining 3 tbsps of olive oil. Add the onion, celery, garlic, chilli and sage then saute very gently for about 10 minutes until the onion is completely softened but not browned, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer, then cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly reduced and thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Transfer the tomato mixture to a small roasting tin or casserole dish - the mixture needs to fit quite snugly. Then stir in the haricot beans and smoked paprika and arrange the sausages on top, burying them into the mixture. Roast for 20-25 minutes until the cassoulet is bubbling and the sausages are cooked through and tender. Scatter the parsley over and serve straight away with mashed potatoes and a basket of crusty bread.

Phew!! I typed all that out - my good deed for the day! :pac:

I didn't have crusty bread with mine btw - think the mash is enough but I must say it'd be great for mopping up the sauce:D

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Sure :) First of all can I ask where you got the wild boar sausages?!

Here's the recipe:

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your good deed. I am gonna give this a go for sure.

I live in the UK in an area where there is lots of hunting so wild boar is not hard to come by.

Where are you based? I recall seeing some in an organic butcher in the Templebar Food Market in Dublin.

Edit: I see you are in Cork. Try the English Market maybe?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement