Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

On Friday I made roasted turkey marinated in lemon juice, zatar and sumac and served it with zatar chips and carrot fritters. Definitely making it again.

Tonight we had teriyaki striploin, cabbage and sushi rice. It was a little too sweet but otherwise lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Roast shoulder of lamb with roast spuds, cauliflower cheese, kale and lashings of gravy. Dessert was a wickedly rich chocolate mousse. Enjoyed cooking it more than eating it :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Lamb steaks, mashed potatoes with onion, tenderstem broccoli, carrots and gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

Tonight was sweet potato wedges with a homemade chicken burger, super tasty after a night out last night!

20131027_183408.jpg

Tonight was sweet potato wedges with a homemade chicken burger, super tasty after a night out last night!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/s_ully/20131027_183408.jpg
    Could you post the recipe for the chicken burger please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Oysters (which had been harvested in the morning), followed by beef stroganoff (served with boiled rice and a green salad), followed by artisanal icecream with chestnut jam (also home made by me!).

(My sister was over from Ireland so it was a special meal!) :)

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Could you post the recipe for the chicken burger please?

Oh it was a simple Chicken breast, hit it until its flat, and shaped, then some egg mixed with dijon mustard, dipped in it then in breadcrumbs and cooked, nothing too it really simple and easy, on a chibatta with salad then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pan fried monkfish tail ends, fried polenta cake, ginger and lemon carrots and a sort of a germolata - flatleaf parsley, garlic, lemon zest and juice, shallot and olive oil.
    No pic.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Oh it was a simple Chicken breast, hit it until its flat, and shaped, then some egg mixed with dijon mustard, dipped in it then in breadcrumbs and cooked, nothing too it really simple and easy, on a chibatta with salad then.

+1. I usually mix a bit of mayo with the Dijon before breading... simple and delicious, so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

I had the most horrible meal last night - a friend cooked.

They said it was a chicken curry with plums - sounds pretty good to me.

It was not.

It was a huge portion of intensely bland food - basically a massive stir fry of onions, garlic and chicken, with some curry powder stirred in, and sour plums on top, with brown rice. This was served with a huge portion of watterlogged asparagus and green beans. Hideous.

Dessert was a berry crumble with custard - but somehow managed to be vile. I suspect some sort of fake butter and sweetener was used in place of the real stuff. It tasted chemically and gross.

Lovely people, terrible cooks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ugh it's an awful feeling when a friend goes to the effort of cooking for you, but it's manky! I remember a very well intentioned friend once made me a birthday cake - a Victoria sponge with buttercream filling - but she used Olivio spread instead of butter. It was vile!

I'm living in Cork, so we've been celebrating the Jazz weekend here. A massive night out on Saturday resulted in a crippling hangover yesterday. Lunch came from McDonalds (double cheeseburger, chips, McFlurry) and dinner was from KCs: An Atlantis for me, so fried fish with mayonnaise, gherkins and lettuce served in a ciabatta; a Creole for Mr. Faith (Chopped chicken breast roasted in blackened Cajun spices, served in a hot pitta with mayonnaise, iceberg lettuce and a few chips), chips and some onion rings for good measure :pac:.

Hangovers are hideous, but hangover food is brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Faith wrote: »
    Ugh it's an awful feeling when a friend goes to the effort of cooking for you, but it's manky!...Hangovers are hideous, but hangover food is brilliant :D

I think actually this was part of the problem. I was a touch hungover myself and needed some tasty stodge!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Haha I had a quiet weekend myself so no hangover for me! Instead I made that sausage cassoulet, a Victoria sponge (with fresh cream and jam Faith ;-)) and this morning I made a brown soda bread which turned out nice but it stuck to the loaf tin do the bottom came off...but it tastes good! Making brownies tonight to bring into work tomorrow :-)

May go out for dinner tonight :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I was out last night. Had a really lovely, light french onion soup, followed by scallop and pork belly served with grilled apple slices and a vanilla foam. It was way nicer than it sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Tonight was slow cooked pork belly, crispy crackling, mash, cabbage and an Irish Craft Cider jus. Absolutely beautiful, really happy with how it turned out

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    +1. I usually mix a bit of mayo with the Dijon before breading... simple and delicious, so it is.

Ya nice! I was thinking of making a filled burger next time rather than mincing the chicken or something like that, pound out the breast, fill it with some mushroom and onion filling, in kind of a Kiev way but not a Kiev if that makes sense!

I made a delicious beef and root veg stew with barley. I'd hoped there would be enough leftover to make pies for dinner tomorrow but my 18month old loved it and ate almost a whole portion.

• Administrators Posts: 53,852 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Made the chicken curry #1 tonight from the slow cooker recipe thread.

Lovely, but very spicy! :eek: Will probably half the chilli powder next time!

Had a huge shoulder of venison from a Farmers Market on Sunday. Broke it down into large pieces which I made into a casserole with red wine, port and a host of aromatics. The scraps were made into mince meat and a ragu sauce. As I cut up the meat, I like to follow the lines between the muscle groups. This left me with a large piece very similar to a neck fillet. This was dinner. Pan fried for a little colour then finished in the oven until rare. I served it on a bed of farro with stir fried kale, braised leeks and a red wine gravy. I loved the meat but Mrs Minder isn't a fan. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Saturday night we had Pie Minister pies as a pre-marathon treat. I had the Chicken of Aragon (chicken bacon and tarragon), she had the Heidi (goats’ cheese, sweet potato, spinach & red onion). Marvellous stuff, served with slightly cheesy mash.

278031.jpg

Sunday afternoon we carb loaded with ridiculously oversized portions of chicken, pasta and sweetcorn. All we could manage for tea was a slice of breac each.

Last night we had our long awaited post-marathon-takeaway. Massaman curry from Camile Thai with rice, noodles and spicy fried potato. We also had duck spring rolls to start. Great food but we couldn't actually finish it all.

278032.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

^^^ drooling here, LOVE Camile! Well done on the marathon :)

Tonight we are having lamb stew. I can't wait, it is perfect comfort food for the cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last night was medium rare lamb steaks, mash with leeks (where has this version of mash been all my life?), tenderstem broccoli and an onion beer gravy.
    The gravy was a strange orangey colour but tasted fantastic.
    The lamb steaks (tesco) were only alright.

5dRpj4.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We had a fairly unsuccessful beef stroganoff last night, due to me not reading the recipe carefully enough.

Tonight will be a full roast: Chicken, potatoes, carrots, parsnips and Yorkshire puddings. Oh, and gravy of course.

Anyone have a recipe for a nice gravy for roast chicken, on that note? I always find chicken release so much water during cooking that I'm reluctant to use the juices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Tonight we had grilled back rashers with mashed potato and mashed swede. With plenty of brown sauce.

Tonight we had a smokey chorizo and bean stew. Very tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Had a beyond crappy day at work so bought one of those meal deal things that supervalu do. I got the beef lasagne and it was quite ok. I also got honey roast vegs and a dessert but they are both in the fridge for another day

Vegetarian meal. Baked spiced aubergine piled with toasted pumpkin seeds, feta cheese, chopped mint, dressed with lemon juice, olive oil and chilli.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Can't find a place called Here's What I Had For Breakfast, so thought I'd post this here:
    Granby burger, sausages, egg and bacon..I rarely eat stuff like this but it was for a hangover and it was lovely:

2afamp4.jpg

Then for dinner we had fajitas:

dwfkfo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Tonight we are having lamb stew. I can't wait, it is perfect comfort food for the cold weather.

I made a big, fat beef stew tonight which'll be lunch for me and my boi for the next three days. Yes, we're big on batch cooking. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement