Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Lardons, leeks and roquefort in a creamy sauce, with rice.

Nom!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Made a water buffalo red wine casserole yesterday, baked potato mash and asparagus. While I don't think it looks that great, it was a serious contender for the best stew I've ever made. Water buffalo is like very tasty beef. It would be hard to distinguish it from beef but you probably would comment on the quality of the beef. More for tonight!!:D:D

676vhq.jpg

Made a water buffalo wed wine casserole yesterday, baked potato mash and asparagus. While I don't think it looks that great, it was a serious contender for the best stew I've ever made. Water buffalo is like very tasty beef. It would be hard to distinguish it from beef but you probably would comment on the quality of the beef. More for tonight!!:D:D
    A benefit of Water Buffalo meat also is that it has much lower cholesterol than beef.

A benefit of Water Buffalo meat also is that it has much lower cholesterol than beef.

Interesting, the casserole pieces I got were very lean too - but still stewed well.

• Administrators Posts: 53,852 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Made a water buffalo wed wine casserole yesterday, baked potato mash and asparagus. While I don't think it looks that great, it was a serious contender for the best stew I've ever made. Water buffalo is like very tasty beef. It would be hard to distinguish it from beef but you probably would comment on the quality of the beef. More for tonight!!:D:D

Wed wine?

20_Elmer_Fudd2-copy.png

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Had a nice meal last night:

Roasted Salmon with lemon zest and juice
    Wilted spinach
    Green beans - par-boiled then fried off in butter
    Creamy mash potatoes - baked in the oven with melted cheese on top

"Gone in 60 seconds"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Big pot of Irish Stew resting on the stove now. To be served with creamy mash and peas, peas, LOADS OF THEM PEAS!

Last night I made roast chicken with thyme, a bulb of garlic roasted, and splashed red wine vinegar when the chuck was resting. Squeezed half of the garlic out of its skin and mashed it up with the vinegary juice. Serious yumminess. The other half of the garlic I mashed it into fluffy spuds. Steamed broccoli on the side.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Tom Kerridge's proper baked beans. I'd cut back a little on the vinegar and sugar a little the next time but they were awesome.

6He6bQ.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had lamb stew with mash tonight - but no peas, Mrs F...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Hi Mr Magnolia,

I am glad to see that the Tom Kerridge baked beans were a success. I am very keen to try them. Thanks for the tip about the sugar and vinegar.

Did you follow his recipe for soda bread ? I have never seen a soda bread recipe with strong flour. Did you notice a difference to a standard soda bread recipe ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Tom Kerridge's proper baked beans. I'd cut back a little on the vinegar and sugar a little the next time but they were awesome.

It worth it? As you mentioned 150g's of sugar and 200ml of vinegar seems crazy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

huskerdu wrote: »
    Hi Mr Magnolia,

I am glad to see that the Tom Kerridge baked beans were a success. I am very keen to try them. Thanks for the tip about the sugar and vinegar.

Did you follow his recipe for soda bread ? I have never seen a soda bread recipe with strong flour. Did you notice a difference to a standard soda bread recipe ?

I used the strong flour alright but I've never cooked a whole meal soda bread before so I can't comment on a difference. It was lovely though.
    RasTa wrote: »
    It worth it? As you mentioned 150g's of sugar and 200ml of vinegar seems crazy.

I'd cut both by a quarter perhaps even by a third. I'll be cooking them again, it's a very cheap meal and very easy to prepare.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Last night I made roast chicken with thyme, a bulb of garlic roasted, and splashed red wine vinegar when the chuck was resting. Squeezed half of the garlic out of its skin and mashed it up with the vinegary juice. Serious yumminess. The other half of the garlic I mashed it into fluffy spuds. Steamed broccoli on the side.

That sounds amaaazing :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Dinner was a mixed-shish kebab followed by a Daim bar crushed into a packet of Manhattan popcorn. I needed the meat, carbs and scary-Annie-from-Misery-esque snack after a visit to view an apartment in Dublin that brought us crashing down with a bang about what the rental market here is like again. Us and about 15 other people. In that 15 minute viewing slot. Which was one of several. For an actual kiphole.

*goes off to eat a tub of icecream with hands*

Lardons, leeks and roquefort in a creamy sauce, with rice.

Nom!

Hi,

Feel embarrassed asking this with only 3 ingredients, but would you mind posting the steps?

Thanks!
    Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Dinner tonight was bambi bolognase.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Smoked pork loin, cabbage, potatoes and a mustard sauce.

278240.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

We had lamb stew with mash tonight - but no peas, Mrs F...
    Did you nick my left overs? :pac: I had a container full, enough for three big bowls, went for some today, and there was barely enough for one small bowl.

Anyway dinner tonight was.....fishy.

I had sea bass, cooked in the oven with a sprinkling of salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, chilli flakes, chopped scallion, smoked streaky rasher and a drizzling of lemon juice. Done for about 10 mins, absolutely gorgeous, the best I've ever made. Despite the amount of chilli flakes and cayenne pepper, it wasn't in the least bit spicy.

I had it with asparagus wrapped in streaky bacon, tenderstem broccoli wrapped in streaky bacon, wilted spinach and some amoy noodles.

Mr. Toast had garlic and chilli prawns with green pepper, mushrooms, onions and amoy noodles with a drizzling of soy sauce.

So delicious, I want some more now.

Had the buffalo stew again last night. So, so good. This time with half mash/half pearl barley.

Meatloaf http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2938/hot-or-cold-meatloaf (streaky bacon instead of prosciutto) with fried broccoli (on a low heat with butter) and roasties. It was yum and I made enough for the freezer too.

With the au pair eating with us most nights I'd feel a bit sad taking photos :o

• Advertisement

Loire wrote: »
    Hi,

Feel embarrassed asking this with only 3 ingredients, but would you mind posting the steps?

Thanks!
    Loire.
    No problem!

250g Lardons
    3 leeks, washed and cut into rounds
    Roquefort (or any similar blue cheese), didn't measure it but a medium amount (sorry not more precise)
    200 mLs cream single cream

To reduce the fat (ha!) I fry off the lardons first in a frying pan. Add the leeks, cover and reduce the heat. Cook for about 10 mins. Crumble the cheese into this, mix well. Add the cream, uncover and just let it warm through. Serve on the rice.

This serves four people (or dinner for the two of us, and lunch for the next day!).

EDIT No need to add salt to the mixture as between the lardons and hte cheese, it's already quite salty. Black pepper is nice with it though!

Last night, I had sausage and bean casserole, and it was the best I've ever made. Only difference was that I used posh stock instead of the cheap stuff :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Last night, I had sausage and bean casserole, and it was the best I've ever made. Only difference was that I used posh stock instead of the cheap stuff :o.

I must say posh stick is worth it.... Those knorr ones are €2 in lidl. Makes A difference !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I think you can't, legally, have anything else for dinner tonight

3762c11f-6f36-40db-875c-031a3c737495_zpsd13798d9.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

lamb-filo-pie.jpg

Her Indoors made a middle-eastern-esque lamb with apricots, almonds and butternut squash all wrapped in filo. Delicious.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think you can't, legally, have anything else for dinner tonight

I thought we were going to get loads of kids calling around so I bought loads of cheap sweets. We've had one group of kids, and are now left with tonnes of shíte :(. I should have just bought the good stuff!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Faith wrote: »
    I thought we were going to get loads of kids calling around so I bought loads of cheap sweets. We've had one group of kids, and are now left with tonnes of shíte :(. I should have just bought the good stuff!
    Yeah, I learned that one last year - no kids at all. This year: proper sweets!

(And no kids, oh dear.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Last year we had dozens of kids calling - this year only 6 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

The last few years the amount of kids have died down hugely, when I was growing up there was loads, this year we had 5 kids. We even went to the cash and carry so have LOADS of stuff.

OT: I was on a work trial today and didn't get a break so went to boojum and got a burrito afterwards, it was glorious!

• Advertisement

PANCAKES!!! Yummy they were too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement