Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part I

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lightly fried pork fillet with some fantastic satay sauce I had in the freezer to start followed by dahl and basmati rice.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Breaded steak with sushi rice, Chicken + Shitake mushroom Udon Noodles, and homemade curry.

1379666_10202183174849964_853024957_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

1379666_10202183174849964_853024957_n.jpg

That looks like enough food for all of us alright! Should we drop round straight away or are you waiting for it to cool down slightly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Decided to try out southern food and made biscuits with sausage gravy. More work needed to get the flavours right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

We had the Tom Kerridge baked beans. Based on Mr Magnolias advice, I used 60% of the amount of sugar and vinegar suggested and I added a pinch of chilli powder. Served with home made rye bread toasted. Very good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Weekly steak

AFDuGcLl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Desi Murgh chicken curry, with fluffy basmati rice and a swathe of chutneys & pickles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Wanted something different for Sunday Roast so decided to try Aldi's Four Bird Roast for a change. We have a few mini Christmases coming up so wanted to see if it would be good enough.

Roasted it in a roasting tin on a layer of onion, carrots and celery - it recommends you roast it in the foil supplied.

Verdict? Not bad, the marmalade glaze on the bacon outer wrap was lovely. You could taste the various meats - turkey, chicken, duck & goose. It says it serves 6-8 but 2 adults and 2 kids ate most of it.
    Worth €12? Not really.

For our mini-Chrimbos I think I'll wrap a boned and stuffed turkey leg in bacon and glaze it with marmalade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Small bit of couscous to go with my lamb:D

qfYrkw4l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Hereford rib-eye steaks with fried onions and skinny chips, washed down with lovely Croatian wine from our honeymoon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Roast crown of chicken with watercress and two chilli sauces. The first is a caramel chilli sauce, the second was nuoc cham. Also made stirred fried mushrooms with oyster sauce and egg noodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Roast chicken seasoned with parsley, thyme, rosemary, salt and papper, rubbed with a little oil and a crushed Chicken Oxo cube; the bird sat on a bed of carrots, onions, celery and garlic and was then wrapped in foil and roasted.

Served with mashed potatoes, roast potatoes, carrots and peas and gravy.
    Washed down with a beautiful glass of Rioja.

2e3zmfp.jpg

Bibimbap, so tasty. Couldn't get all the crunchy rice from the bottom of the bowl with my chopsticks, more practice needed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Garlicky chilli prawns with little toasts for dipping, followed by fillet steak, carrots and mange-tout and hash potatoes with a pepper cream sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

As apart of my houses cookbook challenge we had a tapas night last night.

Tortilla
    spinach & gruyere arancini
    Zesty lemon & orange chicken skewers
    patatas bravas
    chorizo in cider
    Garlic prawns
    Basil pesto & sourdough
    and finished off with a brownie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Bibimbap, so tasty. Couldn't get all the crunchy rice from the bottom of the bowl with my chopsticks, more practice needed!

Have you a recipe for this? I love bibimbap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

hussey wrote: »
    What the hell is that in the first picture and where is the recipe!? It looks amazing!

Had to google 'arancini' by the way - you should look into coixinha. It's Brazilian, would fit in well with the rest of that stuff and is outrageously tasty.

cee_jay wrote: »
    Have you a recipe for this? I love bibimbap!

Unfortunately I didn't make it. The only recipe I have is 'Go to the Hop House & order Bibimbap (and some vegetable pancakes)'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

hussey wrote: »

Tortilla
    spinach & gruyere arancini
    Zesty lemon & orange chicken skewers
    patatas bravas
    chorizo in cider
    Garlic prawns
    Basil pesto & sourdough
    and finished off with a brownie

I was just about to ask CAN I COME TO YOUR HOUSE, PLEASE when I realised you're in Sydney:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Rubbed a leg of lamb in garlic oil, salt and pepper and slow roasted it for 6 hours. Roasted carrots and parsnip under the joint and duckfat roast potatoes separately. Wholegrain mustard, mint leaves and the juices reduced down for the gravy. Hot whiskeys for dessert. So full!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Herself's folks were down:

Fri: Roasted Cod served on wilted spinach with green beans and mash

Sat: lunch - homemade veg soup with homemade brown bread (in the Panasonic!)

Sat:
    Starter: Homemade chicken liver & mushroom pate (made myself). With Buffalo Mozz (from the English Market - devine).
    Mains: Lamb Stew cooked in the slow cooker all day. Served that with boiled potatoes

Sun: Roast beef - mixture of house-keepers cut, round roast and 2 x sirloin steaks. Put them all in the slow cooker at 2pm yest and they were falling apart at 9pm last night.

We were all dizzy going to bed last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Unfortunately I didn't make it. The only recipe I have is 'Go to the Hop House & order Bibimbap (and some vegetable pancakes)'

I had never heard of this Hop House place until now - I may be praising/cursing you for the amount of business I will start giving them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hairy Bikers beef biryani recipe. Really is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi there,

As part of our Powering Kindness campaign this week, we have been spotting various good deeds! For the following recent post, we would like to give leahyl the gift of a €100 One4All voucher!
    leahyl wrote: »
    Here's the recipe:

4tbsp olive oil
    8 large wild boar sausages
    1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
    2 celery sticks, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
    1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
    1 tbsp chopped sage
    2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
    400g tin of haricot beans, drained and rinsed
    1 tsp smoked paprika
    sea salt and black pepper
    chopped flat leaf parsley to garnish
    crusty bread and creamy mashed potatoes

Preheat the oven to 180c. Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Add the sausages and cook gently for 1-2 minutes or until they are just sealed and lightly browned on all sides. Transfer the sausages to a plate and set aside until needed.

Wipe out the frying pan and then add the remaining 3 tbsps of olive oil. Add the onion, celery, garlic, chilli and sage then saute very gently for about 10 minutes until the onion is completely softened but not browned, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer, then cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly reduced and thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Transfer the tomato mixture to a small roasting tin or casserole dish - the mixture needs to fit quite snugly. Then stir in the haricot beans and smoked paprika and arrange the sausages on top, burying them into the mixture. Roast for 20-25 minutes until the cassoulet is bubbling and the sausages are cooked through and tender. Scatter the parsley over and serve straight away with mashed potatoes and a basket of crusty bread.

Phew!! I typed all that out - my good deed for the day!

How Powering Kindness works:
    Go to www.poweringkindness.ie, "bank" a good deed, and nominate a charity (Special Olympics Ireland, ISPCC Childline or Breakthrough Cancer Research).

We also have a Powering Kindness competition running on the Talk To Electric Ireland page - iPad Mini up for grabs!

Congrats leahyl!

All the best,
    The Electric Ireland team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Well done leahyl!

/jealous/ :):p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Jamie Oliver's American Style Pancakes

278792.jpg

These were really good. A little bit more work than my normal pancake batter as the egg whites are beaten separately and then folded back into the batter but it makes them really light and fluffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hi there,

As part of our Powering Kindness campaign this week, we have been spotting various good deeds! For the following recent post, we would like to give leahyl the gift of a €100 One4All voucher!

How Powering Kindness works:
    Go to www.poweringkindness.ie, "bank" a good deed, and nominate a charity (Special Olympics Ireland, ISPCC Childline or Breakthrough Cancer Research).

We also have a Powering Kindness competition running on the Talk To Electric Ireland page - iPad Mini up for grabs!

Congrats leahyl!

All the best,
    The Electric Ireland team

Good GOD! I'm confused and excited all at the same time! What do I need to do now?! :D:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Congratulations leahyl!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm a bit embarrassed! I'm sure there are way better good deeds than mine :o But I'm delighted also :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

hardCopy wrote: »
    Jamie Oliver's American Style Pancakes

These were really good. A little bit more work than my normal pancake batter as the egg whites are beaten separately and then folded back into the batter but it makes them really light and fluffy.

I use this breakfast pancake recipe from Jamie http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/breakfast-pancakes. The pear gives it a nice subtle sweet taste. So easy to make!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement